Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Phikli

Perfumes that invoke Asia, Japan...

I'm going on holiday to Japan in December and am incredibly excited! :lol: As there are so many lovely Asian/Japanese inspired bpals I thought it'd be great to take a set of them on my holiday, both to enjoy when I'm there and to help me recall it when I'm back home. I'll be there for 10 days, visiting Kobe, Kyoto, Tokyo, Hiroshima and some countryside in between.

So far on my list of things to take I have:

Budding Moon

Lovers in a Ricefield

Kistsune-Tsuki

Kumiho

Tamamo-no-mae (on its way to me - haven't tried yet)

I reckon I should try some Kyoto seeing as I'm visiting there but what other Asian/Japanese style perfumes should I try?

Edited by ivyandpeony
added search terms to title

I reckon I should try some Kyoto seeing as I'm visiting there

Hehe, that was my first thought as well. It's a really nice scent, too. A couple of the warrior queens at BPTP are Japanese, you might be able to find imps of them about.

I love the Spell of Amorous Love because it reminds me of the Hama Rikyu gardens in Tokyo, which was the last place we went before leaving Japan on my husband's and my honeymoon. So it brings back really good memories (also the smell of the moisturizer/sunscreen I used for the two weeks we were there does the same, but smells much less interesting!!) :) Speaking of which, I had a lot of fun just going into Don Quixote (the awesomest store ever, esp the one in Osaka with the ferris wheel on top by the river) and trying different lotions/shampoos/stuff like that. Don Quixote has all sorts of fun, cheap stuff, so I'd also recommend checking it out for additional smelliness.

Aizen Myoo is also very very pretty and light and refreshing, which would be a nice pick me up when you get completely exhausted, which will happen occasionally.

And I second the recommendation for some of the warrior queens. Jingu looks fantastic and like it would be perfect for your trip.

How about Hanami, if you can find it! I also adore Neo-Tokyo, but since it was a GC that had to be unexpectedly discontinued it can be really hard to find.

kyoto is one of my top ten! a spicy cherry blossom, it's lovely and subtle~

kabuki is similar, but with the addition of a potent cherry. (I personally prefer kyoto, but it depends on taste!)

aizen-myoo is also one of my all time favs! a juicy yuzu, it's quite a refreshing cheerful scent~

Kistsune-Tsuki I'd second- stronger ume~

akuma is a dark raspberry~

kumiho is a pleasent green tea, not earthy but perfume-y

in the salon,

THE LANTERN GHOST OF OIWA was strongly fruity sweet sake/ho wood, reminding me of hungry ghost moon-(meh!)

and

SPIRIT OF THE KOMACHI CHERRY TREE was a watery cherry blossom with lilac tones- a cold floral that has it's place, although I still prefer the warmer kyoto for cherry blossom scents.

I haven't tried THE FOX-WOMAN KUZUNOHA LEAVING HER CHILD

or ITASÔ KANSEI NENKAN JORÔ NO FÛZOKU

or FOX FIRES ON NEW YEAR’S EVE AT THE GARMENT NETTLE TREE AT OJI

or KIYOHIME CHANGES FROM A SERPENT

has anyone? what do they think?

Mmm, thanks for the suggestions!

I do have the perfume half of one of the warrior queens on order (Tomoe Gozen) so we'll see how that turns out, and if imps surface on swaps of some of the others I'll definitely try them.

Bakeneko sounds lovely - it'd be nice to have a warmer smell as it'll be winter - many of the Asian scents smell very springlike to me. Aizen-Myoo I'll try to get my hands on and if I can find a decant of Spell of Amorous Love I'll get that too - I love my fruity florals!

I LOVE Japanese scents!

My favourites that are reasonably available:

Aizen-Myoo

Kitsune-Tsuki (you have it down, I see!)

Night-Gaunt (it feels Japanese to me, I swear)

Itaso (Salon)

Harikata (Shunga I)

Lovers' Parodies (Shunga I)

Manners Among Men and Women (Shunga II)

The Spell of Amorous Loeve (Shunga I)

Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree (Salon)

Tanuki

Tissue (Shunga II)

My personal favorite for scents that remind me of Japan (as in, actual smells I encountered) is Aizen-Myoo. It really reminds me of yuzu-cha, which is a great winter drink. I was sick constantly when I got to Japan so I spent a lot of time in cafes using their wi-fi and drinking yuzu-cha for the vitamin C. It tastes great, smells fantastic, and the steam and hot liquid soothed my nose & throat. All around win. :D

My favorite Japanese-inspired scents so far are both Shungas - Voyeurs Among the Cherry Blossoms and The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife.

ETA: Forgot - Tokyo Stomp and its awesome bottle art! Maybe it doesn't smell particularly "Japanese", but I love it!

Edited by chaismolokom

Resurrecting this thread as Asian-type scents are my absolute FAVES, especially what Beth and team make. I haven't bought anything recent since 2008 or so, and currently hoarding my Bakeneko, Tamamo No Mae, Fox Fires..., and others, so I'm seeking new recos. I'm seeking something that's somewhat easy to obtain, and notes wise I'm open! I love aquatics, musks, vanilla, and the wonderful asian flavors Beth throws in :-)

Wood Horse was a really interesting Asian blend - on me it smelled like bright citrus fruits and rice cakes. Like….actual, realistic rice cakes! :D

Resurrecting this thread as Asian-type scents are my absolute FAVES, especially what Beth and team make. I haven't bought anything recent since 2008 or so, and currently hoarding my Bakeneko, Tamamo No Mae, Fox Fires..., and others, so I'm seeking new recos. I'm seeking something that's somewhat easy to obtain, and notes wise I'm open! I love aquatics, musks, vanilla, and the wonderful asian flavors Beth throws in :-)

Since you like vanilla you should definitely try Loosening of the Obi. It's smooth like silk and has a nice but subtle rice wine note in it. It's an LE but in my experience not too difficult to find if you search around.

A Shunga from... I think last year? The Sound of Insects. It's an amazing fruity tea scent, and to my older sibling it invoked the memory of Balinese shrines.

It's a really good, clean scent, with a lot of pep, but not too much staying power, since the blend is almost pure top notes.