Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A negatively charged scent. Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints.

In the imp: Mint with a nice mossy back drop.

Wet: This is strongly minty when first applied, a very dry, not to sweet mint. The other notes are almost an after thought. They are there, but not making their presence known to much, just letting the mint stand out and rounding it out a bit.

Dry down: The mint faded pretty quickly, and then the moss took over. While I do have other blends with ambergris, I'm not at all that farmiliar with it, so I couldn't tell you if I'm smelling it in here or not. But it just smells strongly mossy to me when the mint goes away. It lasted all day, and had fairly good throw.

I'm thinking that the Lab Rats must be tuned into my brain waves when I make an order. I have a weakness for moss since discovering BPAL, and I hit up the search engine when putting my last order together trying to find a perfume that would be almost all moss. I passed on Cathode, though, because I have it in my head, for some reason, that I don't want to smell like mint. I don't know why, because I like mint, but there you have it. Cathode showed up as a frimp, and it is pretty much what I was looking for. I even like the strong mint opening.

This isn't the first time I've passed on a scent either, only to have it show up in my order, and they've been winners all but once. Which just goes to show that the Lab knows what they are doing, even when I don't. :P

*Puts Cathode on the big bottle list* Edited by Shollin

The image of dark, wet electricity that the name Cathode evoked was enticing, and the "ozone scent" label and mints in the description cemented its appeal. However, I just get a chilly, damp, earthy scent from this (which sounds like what I wanted, but it's more woodsy than ozone). Furthermore, there is NO detectable mint in it at all, not even right upon its application. It is indeed mossy, so if you're aching for a moss scent, here it is.

This is a real downer. I can see this working on its own or with something aquatic in warmer months, though, so I may revisit this review at a later date. I guess the search for an awesome ozone smell continues~

:P Not exactly what I was expecting. Minty at first, then after an hour changed into something totally different. Not my cup of tea. So on to the next one as I try to work my way through the world of bpal.

In the imp, Cathode smelled like a tooth-achingly sweet and cold spearmint with a little green in the background. Once on, the mint quiets down and Cathode turns into a sweet mossy, woodsy green touched with spearmint. After about fifteen minutes the woods turn into pencil shavings, like most woods do on me, but it's not obnoxious; it's kind of nice added together with the other notes. It's strange combined with my chemistry, but I like it!

Going on, this was light mint and ozone...and then something smoky, which I think is the moss. Very unpleasant. Fortunately, the burning scent didn't linger, and left the very light ozone alone. Not bad, but I think I like Lightning and Tempest better for my fresh, outdoorsy, ozone needs.

In th bottle - Mint and something yellow smelling that I can't place.

Wet on me - Minty lemons.

Dry on me - Wood, sandalwood and that's it

Edited by Ajila

First Impression: Ozone, metal, hint of flowers - for a fleeting moment.

Dries down to: Earthy and slightly minty - like a literal breath of fresh air.

Additional Comments: This is a nice, refreshing scent. I'm not a big fan of mint but this one isn't "in your face" - it's just fresh yet rich. Whle I probably wouldn't wear this, I'd probably use it as a room fragrance.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

In the imp: Mint, with a bit of moss.

Wet: This smells almost acidic. I keep expecting it to burn my skin, and I'm resisting the urge to wash it off.

Dry: Not quite so acidic, but still very tangy, and way too minty for my tastes.

Bottle: Minty, uh, dirt. I think I have moss issues.

Wet: Ok, remember those markers from the mid-70s that came in a large collection of colors and were scented? Remember the green minty one?

Dry: I can catch a hint of the ambergris, but really...minty dirt.

Later: Negatively charged...yeah, that's it. It's sure negative for me, at least.

In bottle: sharp, metallic mint.

Wet: sweet, bright mint.

Top/dry: sweet, bright mint.

Middle/dry: mint, lemon, with occaissional wafts of.....peanut butter? :P

Base/dry: oakmoss and ambergris with a metallic mint twist.

Overall: I really like this scent, but that metallic finish is sort of a deal-breaker for me. However, it IS a good scent to be named Cathode.

Edited by ladymissspyder

What a wacky little scent...

At first it was all bracing mint. Then, the mint dissapeared and the oddness began. Smelling my skin directly it smelled like... oregano. Dried oregano. Someone else said basil, either way it was a dried herb smell. BUT from about 6 inches out, it smelled insanely delicious. Sweet, earthy. It took a bit of time to figure out what was going on. I would be sitting there, wondering what smelled so great, and lift my wrist up and get only oregano. :P After a few hours the oregano smell went away and left only the deliciousness. It must be the ambergris in the base.

I might have to hang onto this and further experiment. Hmm.

bottle:

mint, and I want to say hint of vanilla…

wet:

a creamy mint. Really refreshing without being harsh

dry:

now it gets a little more herbal, still refreshing! After a few hours it gets very cologney. Not bad, but very masculine.

overall:

really nice early on, too masc. later….

rating: 6/10

In the bottle: strongly minty, with a faint mossy undertone. Am I going to smell like Pepsodent?

Wet: still very minty, but pleasantly so... the moss and ambergris are tempering the mint, making it much more wearable.

Drydown: Still very minty, but the other notes are coming to the fore, giving it a nice 'buzz.' Definitely a clean, fresh scent... I don't usually like those, but this is yummy and a definite keeper.

I'm amazed that all this minty goodness I'm whiffing in the bottle doesn't make me smell like I smeared myself liberally with toothpaste. Instead it's as if I had a good roll-around in a mint patch after an afternoon storm. For reasons I will probably never be able to figure out my skin doesn't scream MINT though I can smell the mint quite clearly when I sniff my wrist. I suspect its because this is such a well-balanced and well-thought out blend so it's subtle but clear. I get virtually no morphing from when I put it on wet to when it fades out hours later. Perfect scent for a beastly hot summer day, and bless it's little heart Cathode is even making me feel cool and fresh and cheerful in the midst of major mugginess.

I recieved this as a frimp from the lab and I was so excited. I have been really wondering about the "electric mints" I am not a minty person but was excited to try this!

In the vial and wet on my skin my nose is innundated with mint, mint mint - yep 3 electric mints! They are not terrible like I thought they would be - they are very sweet and I am reminded of picking mint from the neighbors garden and making mint tea. Beautiful and Bright!

As Cathode dries down, the mints become a bit toned down by the ambergris. I have yet to smell the mosses but I am sure they are around.

Completely dried down adn Cathode is bright green. The mosses have become entangled with the mints almost like mint growing in a damp mossy forest, with the ambergris the supporting note.

Conclusion? Cathode is a beautiful cooling scent. Perfect for hot summer days when you want to be in the shade or just cooled down. This is going on my 5ml list!

Cathode - in the vial, it smells of moss. The instant it touches my skin, the moss disappears, and it’s a light mint scent and smells slightly metallic, as well. The metallic scent fades quickly, and the mint lightens up even more as the oil dries. Upon full dry-down, the oakmoss moves to the forefront. It’s a strangely likeable scent, considering I rarely enjoy moss, oakmoss, or mint. I don’t know if it’s likeable enough to keep when there are so many other scents I like more, but I’m pleasantly surprised by this scent and by the fact that it’s actually not bad on me. Unfortunately, it has virtually no throw, and its staying power is low to moderate.

This is a very interesting scent. I was worried about the mint being in here but it isn't strong enough to be unpleasant. It's mint straight from the garden and not from chewing gum or breath mints. The mosses come out first and makes this a very green scent. The ambergris is light and soften up the smell of the mosses. And then the mint appears. Just enough mint to keep this smelling fresh. Surprisingly lovely!!

A very clear scent, not immediately identifiable as mint (and I should know mint if I know any scent!) but I think the mosses are doing some tempering to the mint. What is saddening is that it smells very much like a generic cleaning-product scent to me: definitely not unpleasant, and perhaps even usable, but not a "gotta-have-this!" scent at all.

After a few minutes' drying, the mints have come out to shout their name. Hmm, maybe Cathode has redeeming features.

In the vial: "electric" mints and musk.

On me: Very minty. Oakmoss. Musk. I absolutely adore this scent. It is very uplifting and makes me feel good in general. It also smells great on me!

Verdict: Bottle, please!

Rating: 5/5

Wet on skin: Sweet mint.

Drydown: Soft, sweet herbs.

Completely dry: baby powder and soap. Ack. It had so much promise, but alas, my skin turns it into Love's Baby Soft. :P

We don't always recognize a love waiting to happen. Sometimes we need a little push. Eat snails? No way! But the waiter's really pushing the escargot, so we try some and then oh my god, we have to order more. Or maybe you finally agree to go out with this guy your friend wants to set you up with, and you're only doing it so she'll finally shut up...and next thing you know, it's 4 a.m. at some all-night diner, and you and he are surrounded by empty coffee cups and deep in the most fascinating conversation you've had in years...

Or maybe a Labbie tosses an imp of Cathode in with your order even after you've read the description and said, "Ehh, no."

Bless that Labbie! Cathode was one of the last scents I ever thought I'd love, but love it I do. It's not a peppermint candy smell as I feared it would be, but a lovely cool mint that's rounded out and given a nice dark depth by the moss. Something in here is a touch masculine--the ambergris?--and the effect is off-putting, but in a good way, if that makes sense. Whatever that distancing note is, it dies down after a bit and lets the moss work its magic. Then it's beautifully cool and soft, like a deep green bed of moss, the kind that looks so inviting you just want to curl up and take a nap on it, feeling the sunlight and shadows play over your skin, listening to the leaves whisper in the breeze.

Cathode isn't a warm, friendly, come-hug-me scent. Cathode wears a white lab coat, carries a clipboard and watches you from behind steel-rimmed spectacles. He's not an unfeeling bastard by any means; he just wants to scope you out a bit before he lets you get close. And when he does let you get close and he takes off those spectacles, he's got the deepest, darkest green eyes you ever got lost in. You should totally go out with him. No, really! Trust me! You'll love him, you just have to get to know him. You two could go out to dinner; I know this place that has the most fantastic escargot...

Woah Nelly! That's some mint! But not overbearing, sting-your-nostrils mint. On my skin, it smelled like a peppermint stick w/o the sugar. The oakmoss came out more on the dry-down and the mint fades a bit. I'm not too wild about any of the notes, but maybe this would be a good wake-up shower getl scent? Either way, I'll have to pass on Cathode.

In the bottle: When I tried this back in April (I believe) I was disappointed to smell Polo. However, I tried it again last month and got a positive reaction from Scott (and I didn't smell the green manly cologne smell.) So let's see what we get today!

Okay, I am still thinking "green," but somehow creamy. Pleasant. Personally, I'm liking it more than Cathedral.

Ohwait! Mint! I wasn't sure I'd react well to mint - I'd like to like the smell of mint; I do generally find the taste refreshing, but sometimes the smell can make me kind of headachy, snappy and sick. In the bottle, the mint is zingy and refreshing, lightening the rest of the imp in a playful way.

Wet: Hrm. Complex; the mint seems to be on the top here. I am getting a teeny-tiny hint of Polo, but it's not intense. I'm supposing the mosses are grounding and balancing this scent. I've had good reactions with oakmoss in the past, or so I believe; it's been an ingredient in several perfumes that work very well with my personality and skin.

It seems decently layered; although I'm getting an impression of wintergreen or spearmint gum, I can't say that that is exactly what - particularly all of what - I smell. That overpowering cold, sharp zing that makes me sick when people pop their gum in my face isn't giving me a huge headache here. I'm not thrilled with how minty it is, but it's not awful by any means.

Drying: And I still wish I had a better scent vocabulary. There's a smoothness; I'm not sure I'd use the word "creamy," but that's the impression I'm getting as the layers settle into my skin. It's not a foody scent, though I am reminded, ever so slightly, of an ice cream parlor. No heavy sweet scents in the air; that refreshing coolness.

I'd prefer more moss and less mint on my skin, but this really isn't as bad as I'd feared. It does seem refreshing; it seems much more a summer than a winter scent. It's bright and green and a bit masculine. As it dries further, I can sniff a slight warm tang that lands on my tongue; I find this note rather pleasant. I'm wondering if it is the ambergris? It would be the note to convey Cathode's "electricity."

Afternotes: I can see very well how someone else might find this one pleasant. I do not dislike it. Unfortunately, although mint chocolate chip is one of my favorite ice creams, I'm still a bit agitated when I smell mint. I think it's quite well done, but this is just a bit too fresh and zingy for me, and I can't think of a way to use it in my writing.

Scott-sniff: "I like the other one (Cathedral) better."

Verdict: Sorry, kids, but since Daddy and I are both a bit ambivalent, I'm going to swap this one.

Very sharp mints with a bright clear amber and moss over note in the imp. Wet, this is sharp cold mints - very clear, very hard. This is incredibly sharp and icy. Dry, this is powdery but sharp, like crushed peppermints snorted up my nose. It is very precise, very direct and very interesting and yet it's not at all pleasant to me. I like the clear sharp mints of Nuclear Winter, but the mosses in this make it a dusty green mint-dirty smell. Reminiscent of Zombi but colder, similar to Nuclear Winter but dirtier... this is a difficult blend to reconcile. I don't like it very much, sadly.