Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A negatively charged scent. Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints.

Bottle: Sharp, sharp mint; a hint of moss.

Wet: The mint is still sharp, bright and refreshing; it is the overpowering scent when I put this one on.

Dry: There is still mint, and there is age, in all the best ways -- ancient books and proud long-standing trees. Not only is this a lovely scent, it is a good scent for me, which is hard to find.

/ili Edited by Shollin

In bottle: Peppermint and spearmint. I cannot detect ambergris or spanish moss in the bottle. Mint is always so powerful though; it's not really a surprise. Let's see what it does on my skin.

On me: It's rather like a mint tea on me. The rich selection of mints blend together with some aquatic notes and the dusty green moss to provide an electrifying cold. I sniff this and shiver, but it is nice. Mint doesn't last very long on me; so I'll wait until it's all dried before finishing with my final review.

Just kidding. This scent stayed minty for quite a long time! That was a lovely little surprise. :P

I really really really wanted to like this one, because I *love* mint. In the bottle, I thought it was great and couldn't wait to try it - so fresh, so minty, but with that undercurrent...

Unfortunately that undercurrent didn't sit well with my brain chemistry and started to trigger a migraine within minutes of application. Later sniffilings confirmed that this imp needs a new home. :P

I'm really hoping it was the "moss" elements, and not the mint elements which were a problem, though, 'cause I want more mint!

Cathode

In the imp: cool, minty and mossy, but with an interesting depth that reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it-could this be the ambergris?

Wet on skin: this is a cool, chilly scent, like cold salty water…there's mint and moss there, but there's this deep, strange note that is a bit salty. Interesting.

Dry on skin: the mint comes up again, bright but cold. There's also a fresh 'sea breeze' sort of scent which is very interesting. It's ozone, it's marine, it's almost electric. There's an element to it that reminds me of a perfume I've smelt before, but with mint. This is a very fresh, clean scent, quite clearing for the mind. I think this will be the perfect blend to revise physics with, thanks to the name associations.

After a while: the mint fades but still remains in the background and something like a cross between moss, sea air, ozone and cologne but with an unusual, almost leathery depth comes through. I'm pretty sure this is the ambergris, it's got a smell I'm sure I've smelt before, on someone else or in some perfume shop. The mint which remains though, adds a bright touch, lightens the scent.

Verdict: this was a very interesting experience. It's a very unusual perfume scent, but it works. It's minty, it's cold, it's clean and bright. It also has this deep undertone and a slightly ozonic scent, almost marine. It's got a strange energy to it, a cool, gently charged aura of scent on my skin. It also reminds me of something I've smelt before. It's a very intriguing, fascinating scent, and I'm addicted. I think it would be great for summer because it also has this aquatic vibe going on. I really like it, and it really appeals with the scientist in me.

Cathode is strongly minty at first....then the mint settles down and the mosses comes out a bit more, along with a a little bit of aquatic/ozone, and I'm guessing the ambergris is underneath.

It's very green and fresh, but a deep green. I get an image of having a cup of mint tea on a mossy riverbank in a forest, after it's just rained.

I like it, it's interesting and refreshing - a little like my beloved Apothecary but more masculine. This is another one I might keep for myself or give to my brother.

All I smelled in the imp was mint, which made me leery, cause I normally have sneeze-attacks around mint, so I only dabbed a tiny bit on.

Wet- This smells like the perfect relaxation mint tea that's been aged a little bit. Mmm.

Dry- Slightly sweeter, it smells like mint tea with honey and a bit of dry tea...you know the taste your mouth gets after a big gulp of strong peppermint tea? This smells like that tastes (if that makes sense.)

I normally hate mint but this mint serves as an energizer and cleanser. Yummy.

On a side note, this not only completely energized me, but I wore it while healing my mom and was not only able to clear up a blockage, but instinctively drew a pattern on her and activated it (something I've never ever done before) on the air around the area, killing all her pain. This blend seems to put me in touch with past-life memories/instincts...I'm probably going to get a 10ml bottle (as soon as I have funds).

A generous gimp with a swap; Brian was intrigued by the name but I get to try it first :sing-song voice:

Cathode is soft and mossy--the mints are calm rather than "electric" on me. This is indeed a good summer scent--the mint feels cool on the skin and the moss...well, I'm a Southerner, so moss feels right at home for me. *However*, the ambergris really is an odd undercurrent--heavier and richer than the other notes, almost *bloated* smelling. I haven't tried Bayou, but this is how I imagined it. With the moss, it's a thick, murky base with the sparkly mint at the top.

Ergh, I have a sudden mental image of a dead whale floating in the swamp. With mint chewing gum in its large mouth. :P Um, Brian, I'll pass it on now...

I thought I would like this, it smelled fresh and crisp in the bottle. Sadly on my skin it reminded me of my grandparents' bathroom, and faded away within an hour.

i was worried it would do bad things because it's got ambergris in it.. my only other experience with that note was in Hellfire, and that was just baaaaaaaaaad. in the vial, this one smells strongly of mint, but kind of a sweet mint, if that makes any sense. But once again, my wonder-skin eats the Mint like it's going out of style.. what's left a few minutes later when it's dry is very green and light smelling. hardly what I was expecting, even though it definitely says there's moss in the description. I'm now not sure what ambergris actually smells like, but this is absolutely nothing like Hellfire. I suppose that makes sense.. When I think of the word "cathode" i think of something chilly, and hellfire would definitely be it's opposite.

It smells like salty moss, and what I think is the ambergris. I don’t get much mint though, aside from a cool, crisp ‘air’ to the scent. Its very calm, and smooth. In fact, its one of the few herbal/floral scents I’ve tried that actually work with me. Its one that I eventually want a 5ml of.

My first BPAL scent! Very warm. Could easily be a unisex scent. Opens with a burst of mint then fades and warms to something sweet and powdery,with the mint taking the back seat. I think its the ambergris coming through. I can taste something astringent in my mouth coming through from the oils. I think this would be lovely on a man. Now that I am smelling it, probably more a man's scent , in my opinion. Delicious,sexy, warm and sweet.

Bottle (Imp): Very fresh and herby.

Just On: Fresh, breezy, and herby.

An hour or two later: It's fading some, but still the same scent.

Around 6 hours: Leaning slightly towards dryer sheets, but still pretty close to the same scent. Starting to fade.

12 hours: Gone bye bye.

Overall: This isn't my type of scent, but it's very nice.

After reading other reviews: Boy, I really didn't get mint out of this one. How odd.

Imp: Yowza minty.

On me: Minty, with a bit of ozone.

Drydown: Minty and neat.

Impressions: Hum, like Envy better for a mint fix.

Verdict: Should pass it on.

Bottle: Reminds me a lot of Ygdrassil, only this one is more minty and even fresher. I think of speariment mixed with peppermint and chamomile.

On Skin: Little different here. Smells a little like lemon pledge here though, and while I like that scent, it's not something I would wear. Doesn't seem too strong or last too long on my skin, but that's okay since I have other uses for this scent, like burning.

Overall, I love this scent. Smells very minty fresh and clean. I don't think of a tree when I smell this one, I think of minty tea. I might not consider wearing it, but I'd certainly put it in the burner or even in a spray bottle. 7/10.

ADDED Aug. 23:

Bottle: Very minty. I thought I smelt a "tea-like" chamomile scent too, but that could be just me. Smelt very nice though.

Skin: The same, only it reminds me of chamomile. I find it pleasant, but throw seems to be a little weak on me(actually, at first to does. It gets much stronger a little later) and only does well on my neck. In fact, it feels really cool there. Doesn't seem to work anywhere else.

I like this scent just fine. I couldn't burn it because I slathered it to death, but overall, it's a nice, good scent. 7/10.

Right away, I get a mint smell from this. When I sniff it directly on my skin, it's not overwhelmingly minty, but it does seem to have an "after scent" where I can smell the mint much more strongly.

It seems to be mellowed out by something else, which isn't why I get the strong mint smell like I do with Pain.

It's not what I expected- and that's sometimes a good thing! I expected COLD mint; instead I got a warm, summery mint that you'd put into an icy cold drink to keep you cool. It's not biting but soft with a lovely, just so slightly powdery drydown. I like it very much and I am glad I got the imp. I am not sure it is a big bottle buy, but it is right on for a spring/summer scent. It is clean IMO; a very pretty blending.

When I first applied this, it was nothing but sweet spearmint. Actually kind of warm, with a green mossy scent underneath it. After about 15 minutes, a sweet powder and pepper scent came out around the mint. It was pleasant and golden.

Then, within an hour, this was nothing but baby powder. I don't really like mint... and mint apparently does not like me either, lol.

In Bottle: Moss!

On Skin: This is a beautiful aquatic! The moss screams pretty little lake in an enchanted forest. The mint makes it so fresh with a note of ozone. This is a scent that wakes you up yet relaxes you at the same time. So soft and pretty, I don’t see how this is a “negatively charged scent”. I do like it, but it is a bit soapy on me as almost all aquatic notes become.

In the bottle:

unusual mix of sharp and sweet

On me:

At first, it's wet, sweet mint! Oh glorious mint! Oh and there is the ambergris with that familiar, cologney spicey/musky scent. Oh wait. And what is this? Eeeei. I think the moss is adding a really funky note here. It's like "*deep sniff* ahhh! lovely spice and musk, what a warm, sharp and spunky scent! WOAH something weird there". It's just kind of throwing me off, because it's very much UNDER the other notes, but it doesn't quite work with them the way I'd like on me.The moss is making this a rather unsettling blend.

Final note:

I dont' hate this blend at all, it's just - as I said - rather unsettling. The moss never really seems at ease with the mints and ambergris, though those two work together beautifully.

Initial Sniff: Very minty. Like toothpaste.

Wearing: This starts off minty, but it quickly fades into a slightly minty mossy bouquet. It is actually very pretty. The ambergris softens this further, leaving a very mellow mossy drydown.

Final Impressions: Lovely! I might try wearing this one to bed, as I find it to be very mellow and relaxing.

In the Bottle: Minty and earthy

On Skin: It has a minty undertone but not overly. Its very bright and refreshing.

On Drydown: Kinda powdery. Its a very perfumey smell on me.

Verdict: Very pretty, but not me.

I opened the imp, put it near my nose, and inhaled. I caught a faint breath of mint before I my breath caught in my throat in a whoa, maybe asthma attack way.

I put the imp down, and walked away. It is my allergy season after all.

Five minutes later, I came back, opened the imp and took a small sniff. Instant tightening of my throat. I actually hear a wheeze in my chest.

This is the first time that's ever happened to me with any BPAL scent. Even the residue that's on my fingers is making me feel kind of funny. It literally makes the hairs on my scalp prickle. I thought that maybe it's coincidental. I bring the fingertips with the residue up to my nose, and the hairs on my head prickle as if I've gotten a scare or a chill. This smells like something lightening struck. I would not normally use this term in a review, but I HATE this. Off to scrub, and then send this to the swaps.

Never in my life have I had such a negative reaction to a scent that was not actively unpleasant. I don't know what's going on, but this scent is Bad News for me.

When I first applied this it was very minty. It definately woke me up. After a couple of minutes the mint wasn't so in your face and settled down a little bit, but was still there. The spanish moss did come out a bit later but was hiding behind the mint.

This imp was a gift from the wonderful HoneyHoneyNY, and boy, what a gift!

In the imp, it's deep and slightly sweet, oddly familiar, like some perfume I may have smelled when I was a small child. It actually smells a bit too perfumey, and I worry a bit about how it'll go on my skin.

I needn't have worried.

Whatever tiny bit of mint I may have smelled in the imp is gone immediately on my skin, and it leaves behind the incredibly rich soft fragrance of what I can only assume is ambergris. It seems very out of place on me for a few moments, but then meshes warmly with my skin and rounds out beautifully, anchored by the mosses. It evokes a marsh on a summer night, when the ground is still warm from the day's heat but the air has taken on a misty chill. It's deep and aquatic and unfortunately too unique to describe well! Mostly it's just absolutely gorgeous. This is my new everyday scent, definitely a big bottle! Thanks again Honey!

Cathode – Out of the bottle this is quite fresh but sweet at the same time, like a trebor extra strong mint, & it has quite a mintiness to it. The mint is the most prominent scent but as it starts to dry some floral tones start to come through.

This scent reminds me of the old Mint Humbug sweets you used to get.