Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lainevierge

All about plum!

I'm going to agree with Prunella here. I'm a floral hater, but the drydown is a rich, creamy plum. Dionysia was my second plum love and now my number one scent, and Midwinter's Eve smells very similar to Prunella on me, but without the flowers. And Bordello is love! :wub: I'm definitely going to have to try Kitsune-Tsuki, and possibly Blood Countess, although the roses in that are a bit of a worry. Prospero also looks good!

I too love plum! :wub2: The question is should I order MIDWINTER'S EVE 2010 and/or SUGAR PLUM FAIRY?

What are your recommendations? Which one is your favorite and why?

I love Midwinter's Eve so much that I plan to order a backup bottle. To me, the scent is sweet, almost candied plum, with just a whisper of florals.

Sugar Plum Fairy is yummy as well, but to me does not scream PLUM as much as Midwinder's Eve. The musk makes it seems a bit dustier and maybe even more "perfumey" if that makes any sense at all.

I too love plum! :wub2: The question is should I order MIDWINTER'S EVE 2010 and/or SUGAR PLUM FAIRY?

What are your recommendations? Which one is your favorite and why?

I was wondering how the plums in those two scents compared! Also how other GC blends compared to them.

Some plum scents I've tried include...

Bathesheba - This was mainly musk on me!

Bordello - Pretty, bright plum

Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller - Dark blend with musk and patchouli and a hint of plum, but not too much

Frumious Bandersnatch - One of my favorite plums! Musk, carnation, and plums! Delicious!

Countess Willie - Probably my favorite: ginger, musk, some chocolate, and glorious plum. Just lovely!

I really want to try Prunella, Kitsune-Tsuki, and Bensiabel next.

Prunella smelled like a plum and cream cake...

Gorgeous... somewhat sweet in the begining, but it becomes tarter in the end on me, which is totally lovely.

I second Madame Moriarty.

There's also the Snap-Dragon Fly which some people don't like due to the holly. It smell like gorgeous rich stewed plum on me, until it turns sour and soapy, but that happens with all plum scents for me, I love plum, but I can't wear it well.

If you can find Mother Shub's 13 for sale on the forum, that has plum, flowers, fudge and black musk among a lot of other ingredients and it smells lovely- at least until my chemistry kicks in.

I want to give a special shout-out to aged Dionysia. My skin has a tendency to amp one sweet note in some blends in a really flat, monochromatic way, and when I first got Dionysia it was the raspberry. It was pleasant, but no big whoop. I tried it again about a year later, and the incense really stepped up in the blend, along with the plum, and the raspberry played much more nicely with the other fruits. Wow! So smooth and complex! It's now one of my favorites. :wub2:

I will have to re-try Snooty Rose! I recall at least sniffing it at one of the GA will calls, but IIRC it came along w/a fairly large GC update, so there were so many things to try that I was overwhelmed. I keep hoping that one day Beth will have the time and inspiration to try to reformulate Noir. It remains my favorite plum BPAL of all time (although Snake Charmer is nothing to sneeze at.)

Resurrecting this one because I wanted to know what plum scent you all reccomend for me. I'm looking for a fat, juicy, sweet, strong plum. I want a lot of sweetness but that dark richness that plum has. A strong and long lasting plum is a super bonus. If it's mixed with anything make it sweet like vanilla, milk, chocolate even...please help me... :beg: thanks!

Resurrecting this one because I wanted to know what plum scent you all reccomend for me. I'm looking for a fat, juicy, sweet, strong plum. I want a lot of sweetness but that dark richness that plum has. A strong and long lasting plum is a super bonus. If it's mixed with anything make it sweet like vanilla, milk, chocolate even...please help me... :beg: thanks!

Have you tried Bordello? I just tried over the weekend and have fallen in love with it. Probably my favorite plum scent.

Prunella is cream, plums & wildflowers - it turned mostly floral on me but it might turn out different on you. Another Plum blend I like is Kitsune Tsuki - very juicy plum in that one. If you are looking for a darker plum scent then you could try Morgause or Blood Countess.

Hope that helps :smile:

Have you tried Bordello? I just tried over the weekend and have fallen in love with it. Probably my favorite plum scent.

Prunella is cream, plums & wildflowers - it turned mostly floral on me but it might turn out different on you. Another Plum blend I like is Kitsune Tsuki - very juicy plum in that one. If you are looking for a darker plum scent then you could try Morgause or Blood Countess.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you for responding! :D Bordello was nice but smelled too much like wine too me. Pretty wine. Prunella was too light on me. So I may have to try Kitsune Tsuki only because I LOVE the name and foxes, but I worry it's still floral. Morgause sounds way too floral and Blood Countess sounds to floral and smoky.

Edited by Vanilla323

Purple spotted swallow tail is amazing!

This one sounds pretty good too. What about Sugar Plum Fairy? Is that strong?

Purple spotted swallow tail is amazing!

This one sounds pretty good too. What about Sugar Plum Fairy? Is that strong?

Sugar Plum Fairy is the only plum blend that has worked for me. It's light, sugary plum. Not too sweet though.

Vanilla 323, if it's sticky sweet plum you're looking for, my vote would be for Bensiabel. It could just be me, but on the skin, it's almost syrupy, and has a pretty heady throw(and good wear time).

I looked back on old posts and someone mentioned Bathsheba. This is not just my favourite BPAL plum scent, it's my fave BPAL ever - I think I'm about to get my third bottle of it? I really amp the plum over the florals.

Bordello is lovely but for some reason has very little throw on me, it's like a 'Bathsheba-lite' :D - less juicy and ripe.

Midwinter's Eve is also divine. Not super sugary and tamer.

BPAL plum is probably one of my favourite notes in the catalogue so I'll be checking out some of the recs in this thread. I know one that didn't work all that well on me was Kitsune-Tsuki several years back so might give it another shot.

MEGAERA [reformulated 5/1/2005] <-– Excolo

The Unwilling, The Jealous One

Orris, black amber, bergamot, plum and grapefruit.

I didn't like Bordello, way too sweet and candy-ish, but I looove Megaera (just ordered a bottle). On me it's plum and orris and a bit of citrus, and it manages to be both fresh and "clean" and soft, dry, a bit spicy and fruity. The imp I have is aged, so I hope the bottle won't be too different. It should be tried if you like plum, anyway :)

Edited by Godspeed

My favorite plums are LEs, naturally. Harvest Moon and A Blot Upon the Earth.

Tzi

BPTP Plum Puddin was a nice plum too, but not enough foodie pudding for me ;)

I'm late here and I shouldn't be saying this, because it's my most hopeless DISO, but Countess Willie.

I love plum. Kitsune Tsuki, Lovers in a Ricefield, and Prunella are my favorites. Midwinter's Eve is good, too,