Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
msbcozad

Bat of Good Death

There will be five scents exclusive to Bats Day, representing the Wufu: the Five Bats of Happiness.

BAT OF GOOD DEATH
Frankincense, myrrh, orris root, coconut, benzoic, chamomile, cedar, and hyssop.

Freshly applied, this oil is a rush of the same coconut note from Snow White 08 and White Rose. I love that note and am thrilled to bits. After ten minutes or so, cedar becomes the predominant note but the coconut is still floating just offstage. The frankincense blends into the cedar and coconut, balancing things and keeping the scent from going too sweet or too woody.

I feel relaxed and fairly calm even though I'm huffing my arm trying to sniff up every delicious bit of this oil. This one is definitely a keeper.

Bat of Good Death:

I couldn't agree with the above reviewer more - this is the smoothest and most relaxing resinous blend I've had the pleasure of owning. :thud:

Its "wood" without being in the thick of a cedar pitch; its coconut, but more about the serrated texture on the outside of the fruit as opposed to the essence of the foody inside. Its not dark, deep or thick-feeling but more comforting in the way of your most precious blanket to curl up inside of.

If I had to say what this scent evoked in me (because I can't pin down single notes in this one).....it reminds me of my visit to Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, Canada - its not just a historic chapel of pews containing over 500 years of history and polished wood to contain them but the love that created memories of it all. Its not simple - but a complete sensation of life's memories. :heart:

This one is not to be missed!!! I'm beginning to wonder if the 5 Bat's Day scents were meant to be a "life's event" in all its glorious stages. :think: :smilenod:

Edited by The_Witching_Hour

In the bottle: Mossy, with a hint of sharpness. I think I'm smelling the hyssop.

Wet: Damp forest, cedar, and what smells like gin (must be the orris root).

Drydown: This just smells vaguely sour. Entirely my fault. I amp almost all florals, and the orris (iris) root must be drowning out everything else. At the far end of drydown, it goes to sweet sugar.

This Bat doesn't have great throw, and wearlength is fairly short for BPAL.

I couldn't say it any better than the first two reviewers! This is, oddly, a comforting, relaxing sort of blend despite its resinous properties. Perhaps it's the coconut? Whatever it is, all the notes here are in perfect harmony. I don't think this scent warrants a bottle purchase, but I will still hold onto my decant and enjoy!

This blend truly surprised me. I thought I'd think "meh" and so never considered getting a bottle of it for myself. In the bottle, I found it to not stand out as anything unique; the v familiar frankincense & myrrh combo, but again, nothing unique. Then I tried some on my skin? Oh my goodness! It definitely warms up and it's still got an herbal feel to it, but it's softened, it's not sharp at all. I'm guessing the orris root and coconut help soften the scent. I typically dislike cedar but somehow it really works in this blend.

Verdict: I'm sad I didn't get a bottle, that said, I'd be glad if I could hunt down a decant or two. :D

779369603_GLqxT-Ti.jpg

This light resinous blend is pretty indicative of its name, IMO: the cedar could be that of a casket; the coconut, sweet peace of release; and the spices sound like those once used in wrapping cloths. All together they make for a really nice scent...which unfortunately has practically no throw and doesn't last beyond its first hour following application. Not much scent escapes even my White Rabbit scent locket, though it does last longer there than on my skin, and the cedar is a bit more prominent. 1 out of 5 stars

Edited by stellans

In bottle: Frankincense, chamomile, teeny bit of woody goodness

Wet on skin: A bit of the coconut and orris root are making their appearance, but mostly cedar.

Dry on Skin: Cedar with a dry dusty hint in the background. A sweet exhale. The rest of the notes are so well blended that it is difficult to pick them out individually.

A very pleasant blend. Very similar in feel to Bony Moon, imo.

Edited by TwilightEyes

I was lucky enough to find someone to swap one bottle of the new Bats day scents for one of my swap stash bottles. This is the blend I chose out of the five. I am so grateful for my swap angel!

In the bottle: Frankincense!

Wet on skin: Frankincense, cedar, coconut.

Dry on skin: It's soft, sweet, smoky and slightly dusty frankincense, with cedar, coconut & a blend of herbs that I can't really identify. Oh my!

Final thoughts: If Midnight Mass and King Cobra (minus the Snake Oil) had a child, it would ressemble Bat of Good Death (according to my nose). It's a beautiful & well crafted blend. I wish I could get more, but since I doubt I can afford it, I'll cherish my bottle instead. It's right up there with my favorites!

Try if you like: Labores Solis, King Cobra, Midnight Mass

Edited by CreamyJade

A really lovely resin blend, though as others have said, it has very little throw, and on my skin is practically gone within two hours. The cedar adds a little sharpness to the softness of the other notes, but not enough to be pencil shavings. The blend this most reminds me of is Brown Jenkins, which is one of my faves. The Bat has sharper teeth, but they are small. B) This is still a very comforting scent and should age beautifully.

Sniffed: Sweet, resiny, herbal. Not as dark/incensey as the notes would incline. Rather dry and light, almost a little cologney. The coconut, cedar, hyssop and chamomile jump out. I get a masculine vibe.

Wet: This makes me think of Black Pearl + Herbs for Men. Same coconut note, with a similar orris note to bolster it. The chamomile and especially hyssop is REALLY strong, but nice - fresh, almost minty - reminds me of herbed green salads, and almost dill? But seriously, in a good way. Yes, DILL.

Dry: Z_Z asks: do you smell like pickles now? Well, since you made me THINK of it -- yeah. Damn it. This is definitely a bit sweet, too, so the benzoin is coming through, but not in a strongly honey/vanillic way as it often does. Cedar amping, as usual -- dry pencil shavings.

Later: Orris, why hello you powdery beast, allying with cedar I see? Yeah, this has become a very dry, white, almost dusty blend - with the coconut only further adding to that feel. The herbs have largely faded, though I still get a herby dill vibe. Sweeter, more benzoin emerging. Still no incense notes.

Summary: I had to wash this off. The terrible orris/coconut/cedar combo - which had crazy strong throw - made me feel ill. I don't like any of those notes alone, and together they're worse. Sweetened as it was over time by the benzoin, it became really unbearable. Definitely a very unisex blend. Lasts and lasts.

My least favourite of the bats by far.

My least favorite so far.

This starts beautifully, white roses and sandalwood, but as soon as the oil starts to evaporate on my skin, it turns weak-sandalwood-with-a-hint-of-coconut.

Quick fade.

I have traded this for an equal amount of Velvet decants to someone who adores this Bat.

Sniffing the bottle, I'm getting mostly frankincense and coconut.

Wet on the skin, I agree that this is reminiscent to Snow White and White Rose. I'm still picking up coconut and frankincense with a bit of chamomile.

Cedar note emerges as it dries more along with myrrh. Coconut and Frankincense, though, are the primary note being amped on my skin with this scent.

Wow, this blend reminds me of summer! It's mostly coconut and wood, like wearing sunblock on my wooden back porch...the coconut is really sun tan lotion-y on me and very prominent, and the wood is more in the background. I think I am also getting hints of somehting resin-y, the frankincense I guess.

For the first little while when this was on my skin, it was all glorious resin-y almost waxy coconut with a warm wood undertone. Then it went into a really soapy kinda coconut with a slightly sweet tone, and after about 20 minutes became very sweet almost like a waxy honey.

One hour in, and now it's a soft powdery coconut with just a touch of the resin-y vibe still drifting through it - the sweetness has calmed down but the warm of the wood is still there. Like MelanieSuzanne mentioned in her review, this is gives me a calming feeling.. it's quite mellow and soothing. I would have been happier if the frankincense, myrrh and cedar had played a stronger part - I found the sweet soapiness of the coconut distracting. I wonder if aging will change the balance.. I'll just have to wait and see :)

In the vial: Resins, cedar, coconut and something sweet, maybe chamomile. This smells golden to me.

Wet: Delicious resins, a touch of cedar, something sweet (chamomile again?) and coconut. It is warm and rich.

45 minutes: Nope, this has gone all orris-y on me. It's gone that high light lavender-blue color which can give me a headache if it's too strong. This isn't in headache territory, but it wants to go to a more congenial home than mine.

Two hours: There's more of the cedar and resin now, and it's pleasant, but the scent is still too orris-y for me. That high note is ouching me.

Four hours: A bit woody now, over resin. Still that touch of chamomile sweetness, but the orris isn't as noticeable any more.

Seven hours: Almost entirely gone; I get a slightly sour herby impression, but that's all. I have already offered this in trade to someone who loves it.

this is quite a morpher on me. in the imp, this smells like a sweet-resiny blend. on my skin i think the myrrh and orris take center stage, as (i think?) these can both go powdery sometimes, and this is like a resin-powder blend with a hint of coconut and something else slightly sweet. i can't account for that slight sweetness, maybe it's the hyssop? i can't be sure. i am on the fence with this one-it's nice and i like it, just not sure i'd wear it much either though.

Hrm... I got a whiff of coconut, some sharp orris screeching, but really this is a WOOD scent. I get cedar and resin. Hrm.

Bat of Good Death is all resins, coconut and cedar. Chamomile brings sweetness to resins, and the coconut adds a tropical note to a blend that is becoming really herbal on my skin. Sniffing my skin, it reminds me of Bony Moon, Mole, and The little Sparrow. There is something in all three that is very familiar to my nose, especially since all three were some of my favorites lately. The more I smell this, the more comfortable I get, and the dryness of the wood, with the coconut and sweet resins has instant calming effect.

I need more of this.

I think that Good Death is my favorite of the Bats. I love chamomile's warm, golden, herbal smell. I find it so soothing. I can pick out the chamomile here, hanging out around the edges of the dry cedar, creamy, sweet coconut and resins. The coconut goes through a strong, sun tan lotion phase on me at first, but it quickly calms down and the cedar takes over. After about fifteen minutes, something in this goes a little powdery on me and a sharpness pokes through, but it's still nice enough.

This doesn't have a ton of throw on me, but it sticks around for 6 hours or so, smelling mostly like warm herbs, wood, & a hint of coconut. It's the sort of scent that I'd dab on my wrists so that only I could smell it, and I'd enjoy it & find it soothing.

I really like Bat of Good Death. It goes a little more powdery & sharp than I would love in the drydown, but I'm still going to keep my decant. I find this scent to be very comforting and soft.

This is a soft, orris root perfume with hints of coconut and frankincense. It's lovely..but alas I cannot afford to track this beauty down.

First of al, thanks to Twilight Eyes for frimping me this lovely!! :wub2:

Ooh, I get loads of frankincence here, one of my favourite notes. I really don't get much else, but that's OK. Just sweet, resiny frankinscence. LOVE, and I'll treasure this imp! :joy:

Bottle: Strong hyssop with a light chamomile and orris quality. Light coconut. I was all weirded out by the strong cedar-y scent because I somehow missed that one in the scent list. I'd assume I'm smelling frankincense--but it's a stronger, more lemon-y frankincense like the one in Cathedral.

Wet: Man... hyssop. It's always strong on me and it's always kind of dusty and the dustiness is amped by the orris root. It's got a pretty blah drydown. Kind of tart and borderline citrus with a dusty coconut feel.

Dry: This winds up being a soft, warm coconut skin scent with a very clean resin from the frankincense. It smells like some platonic idea of an antiques shop. The orris and chamomile smell like dusty dried bouquets. There's soft, dusty woods from the cedar, frankincense and coconut. The whole thing feels very retro and slightly sun-touched. I've never actually been in an antiques store that smells good but there's a first time for everything.

Throw: Very, very mild.

Overall: It's quiet and centred and very calm and reserved. It conjures up a sort of half remembered memory of late afternoon summer sunlight coming through the windows on dark wood with dust particles floating in the air. It's actually so effective I can't really discern if this is a real memory or just something that kind of filters in with the general feel of the scent. It's quite beautiful and very subtle. I think it will be the sort of scent I'll wear on lazy weekends in the winter when I'm feeling like a shut in.

I rather like Bat of Good Death, even though it is not nearly as heavy as I expected.

Very light, almost no cedar. It smells like a lighter, herbal version of Goblin...coconut and wood with a hint of herbiness in the background. After aging, I think it lasts a bit longer than it did originally. This is a good scent for school or the workplace when I want to smell lovely but not intrude on anyone else's senses. :)