Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

Definitely a masculine type of scent, and almost generic on first application. As it dries, however, it becomes more complex. The rum and salt strike me as dominant, and only on a deeper sniff do I detect the leather.

After a while, the blend rounds into something more aquatic, more sweet. This is a steady, deep scent, but it's also an open and serene one as well. Perfect ocean.

Wasn't sure about this at first, but it's grown on me so much it's going to have to be a big bottle! :D

I get no rum, and not much leather, it just smells like..sea spray, salty fresh air. Very outdoorsy summer smell, you can't put this on & then sit on your bum watching tv all day :P

Does eventually end up with a bit of the 'fresh laundry' smell that someone else mentioned (nice smell, but perfume that makes you smell like a pillowcase is a pretty niche market), but since it's such a going outside and Doing Stuff in summer sort of smell, it's nice to get back from that and smell so clean!

This smells very, very aquatic. Just like the little sea breeze scented stachets I get for my dresser drawers. While it's wet I get a bit of the woods, but none of the leather or rum, sadly. Still, a good scent for things other than skin. :P

Jolly Roger is one of those scents I could almost write poems about, but I'm not in a poem-writing mood today, so I'll spare you.

I am reminded of standing on the deck of a small boat, smelling the sea air -- which is warm from the sun, but with a cool biting wind. I'm not getting any of the rum note, which makes me happy since rum often turns weird on me. Like some others have mentioned, there's also kind of fabric softener scent wafting through, giving it a very clean, sharp edge.

Oddly, Jolly Roger doesn't turn sweet on me -- and my skin turns _everything_ sweet!

I like this a lot.

I can't believe it! This really does smell like the sea! This is (a very clean) Atlantic City in the summer. I have no idea what bay rum smells like but if I am smelling it in here, it is lovely. I really want to be at the beach now that I am smelling Jolly Roger. Another oil to add to my bottle list! :P

Bottle: the order in which the notes hit at first sniff: salt, leather, wood, hint of rum

Wet: the salt and leather take the lead

Dry: sweet of the rum more apparent, salt still in the lead. fresh and clean affect. very interesting and very masculine.

Later: Leather isn't overly fond of my skin, but I can really imagine this sexy pirate scent on a hunka-hunka-burnin' swashbuckler - now to find one whose timber needs, er, shiverin'...

Tried this on a day I'm going to the shore (not a common occurence despite being in NJ...I'm just not into the shore). I like it in the imp, it's very fresh and clean, with just a touch of almost liilac-like sweetness to it. I'm interpreting it as slightly floral, a pale pale clear purple water color in my mind when I sniff it.

I think the leather in Severin is in this, strangely light and sweet at first but it warms over time and becomes a bit more gruff and stubbly. Arrrr. I loathe rum but I don't specifically smell it. This is a clear, clean, salty scent.

And although I don't like aquatics it's closer to what I would like than most. It does not smell like men's cologne, it smells natural. All that said though it makes me feel a little seasick. It might be fun to keep around, but I think I'm going to have to put on something else...

I bought an imp of this for bookishguy, and stealth attacked him with the imp wand when he was preoccupied with playing Sid Meier's "Pirates!" :P Yar!

His review: "Yo ho ho. Oh, you need more than that? Uh. It was good. Kinda smelled oceany."

Uh, yeah. Thanks.

My thoughts: Lighter than I imagined. Smelled like sea-spray soaked wood and leather. Light throw, but his skin sucks up oil & scent very easily. I'm going to make it into a spray, and I think it'll do well as a lighter summer scent.

The smells salty and grassy to me at first. It's pretty green. Then as it's drying it's more like an aquatic/grass combination. I like the scent, but as a perfume it fits my hubby better than me. Good throw, too.

In the imp: Fresh and salty. There's definitely sea water in here.

Wet: Soap. Guh.

Dry: Still soapy, with a hint of bay rum. Rum soap?

I was able to try this as a part of Quikslvr's GC Swap Circle.

It's funny, this was one of the first imps I ever got. I got it as an extra along with Jack, and unbelievably, I swapped it before I ever tried it, because I thought, "rum and leather- ick". Silly noob...

This is only the second oil I have smelled with a leather note, because I always avoided trying oils with leather because leather=yuck.

What I smell the most from Jolly Roger is fresh, salty sea air. I smell a little something else that must be the leather, but it's very much in the backround. I was hoping to get more of a rum scent from this, but there is no rum to be found (at least on my skin).

It is a tiny bit masculine and would smell delicious on a boy (I wish my husband would wear BPAL...sigh...)

I think I need to find another imp of this. It really makes me think of being on a big wooden boat, sailing into the unknown... I like this much more than I expected to.

Actually not as masculine as I thought it would be, but I love salty! . It's an interesting combo of fresh ocean spray and laundered and sun-dried pirate gear.

bottle:

ozoney, watery

wet:

watery with a hint of spice/woods - yummy! fairly masculine, but I really like it… just not one to wear at work!!!

dry:

Ack, it's doing the throat tickle thing… the ozone ones don't seem to like me… *it may be the start of a cold, or hayfever…

overall:

nice - need to find a guy to wear this for me!

rating: 7/10

Smelling from the Imp, I felt the whoosh of a strong sea breeze, salt in the air, white foamy waves…this is ultra fresh, sea spray for sure!

On: Whoa! I don’t need much, just a very wee dab. This is a very clean pirate. Mr Roger took a bath with a very strong, harsh soap, splashed on a little warm and spicy Bay Rum aftershave, and now he’s standing outside on the creaky wooden deck in his salt encrusted leather boots. The spray, leather, Bay Rum, salt and dry woods…I can smell them all. But don’t get too close to Mr Roger, he couldn’t get completely clean. All these notes combine after being on for 15 or so minutes into a scent that’s incredibly strong and just a little repulsive on me, it no longer smells fresh clean, but not dirty either, just kind of a masked clean with an odd rounded note…nup, I can’t do this one.

Oh pirates, yes they rob I...

What can I say. This is a great scent.

In the bottle, you really get the culmination of all the notes. The rum's there in the forefront, but you can just notice the leather in the back, and a subtle hint of saltiness. Not bad, not bad at all.

Wet on the skin: *Now* you're at sea. There was a review a while back that said this, but I will reiterate: This doesn't smell like the ocean. It smells like being out on the ocean. There's a mobility to this scent, you can feel the wind and the rock of the boat in the waves. Blue skies and bluer waters, that's what this smells like.

Dry: I'm not sure how many of you sail, but if you do, you'll know what I'm talking about. When you've been out on the bay all day, and it's been windy and sunny and nice, and you're on your way back in, your hair is tangled and sticky with seasalt, and your skin has the patina of the ocean, and you're just a little bit sunburned, that's what this is like. I find myself licking my lips when I wear this, because I used to do that after sailing, to taste the salt. Of course, it was on my wrist, not my lips, but the scent was accurate enough for the pavlovian response.

Every time I try a new scent, Beth amazes me even more. :P

Overall: Great scent when your day needs a little bit of adventure.

9/10

Jolly Roger is going to go in my Top 10 Worst Scents list. Not that I keep an active list, but it’s definitely one of the worst as far as how it works on my skin. The scent description is: “Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.” However, on my skin, it doesn’t smell like any of this at all. In fact, what it smells like is quite unpleasant. Stop reading now if you have a sensitive stomach. It reminds me of the inside of a portable toilet – the kind they set up at construction sites and some outdoor concerts. It’s the combination of … well … you-know-what combined with the overwhelming and artificially-sweet scent of the chemicals used in an attempt to cover up the odor of the you-know-what of the port-o-potty. I feel terrible comparing one of Beth’s blends to a port-o-potty, but on me, that’s what it turns to. It’s positively putrid on me. After about 3.5 hours, the scent has mellowed out significantly, at which point I detect the scent of sea spray and leather. I’m definitely passing this along and I hope it goes to the home of someone who will have much better luck with it.

Tangy, tart salty woods with a dash of rum in the imp... the leather is a nice smoky over-laying cloy in this. On? Rum! Lots of clear light rum with a dash of salt and a nice woody base; the leather is vague at best at the moment. Unfortunately, I start getting a headache almost as soon as I sniffed this... so I don't know how long I can stand it. As it dries, this gets a very dry aged wood note to it, something sharply clear - pine I think with possibly cedar in it. And the rum is still very crystalline and high. A dry sharp salt-edged wood with a dash of alcoholic bit to it, this is interesting but certainly not pleasant to my nose. It burns actually, and makes my eyes water. A shame, it's a brilliant blend but obviously not for me.

In the imp: Yet another scent from Beth that is dead-on to the description. This smells exactly like a very old, very weathered ship: there's wood and the general idea that salt has been rubbed and worn into every available surface.

Wet: Although the scent is true to the name, I'm not sure if this is something I want to smell like. It really does smell like briny ocean water.

Drydown and wear: I guess what was contributing the "brine" was the rum, which becomes more prominent (and familiar) as the scent dries down. The dominant smell from this is still the salted wood. While it's a cool concept, I'm afraid it's not for me.

This is a lot lighter than I was expecting. I was expecting something more bay rumish - this to me is mainly aquatics and ozone. There is an element of bay rum and wood in there which is really nice. As it wears, the ozone and aquatics get stronger on me, scents that I'm not too fond of. I can still smell the salty woods and I want them back! This is very much a masculine scent. It's clean and fresh smelling, a bit too stong for my nose but it is very evocative of what it is intended to capture. Great job but not for me.

Sea and wood. Like the deserted beach near my house with the rich aged wood remnants washed up. Definitely makes me think of a grand, creaky wood ship at sea. Lighter, more refined and less masculine than expected. For me this is a more wearable pirate scent than Anne Bonny.

this is a scent that contains rum that is actually pretty nice on me. it smells oceany but not ozone/aquatic. i get a salty feel and a slight rum scent...the leather balances it out nicely. i like to wear some more traditionally masculine scents, and this one is a nice scent, but it's just not 'me'. intriguing though!

All I can say to this one is, holy aquatic!

For first try I put just a bit on to guage how I would like it. I'm glad I only dabbed, as those dabs seemed to be more then enough. It came out very very strongly aquatic on me, the sea breeze, and salt especially. After around an hour of wear, it calmed down and some of the other notes could be smelled.

Interesting scent, though I don't think it'll make my regular rotation.

i tried this quite awhile ago, so this is transcribed from my notes:

impsniff: men's cologne - maybe Gravity?

on skin: clean, one of the men's scents, Axe or one along those lines. maybe the yellow Phoenix one? men's-soapy but salty. not ocean, just salt.

no leather. no bay rum....but there is some boymusk in there somewhere.

In the imp: hmm, aquatic and sweet leather and sandalwood.

On me, wet: aquatic and a heavy greenish wood smell - elm or birch, my brain insists. Quite a lot of soap and salt to this.

On me, dry: the wood appears to have seasoned and dried, but I'm still getting a lot of soap from this smell. no rum and not much leather (occasional taunting wafts, but not blended in with the other notes), but still a fair amount of salty aquatic.

Verdict: might be better on my SO, but it's not one I'll be keeping for myself.

In the imp: A little perfumy-er than I thought it was going to be, but I like it. It kind of has a "buttery" note (smells better than it sounds).

On my skin: Kind of a weird buttery-coconut note. Very summery and exotic. It definately reminds me of the beach, or the ocean. I'm liking this a lot. I can already see a bottle of this in my future.

Unfortunately, like everything I like, it fades fast. Oh well.