Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

Love this scent. The leather is amazing with the saltiness. It isn't for me, but I could totally take this smell on a guy I was cozying up to. Smells deliciously masculine.

A nice, light aquatic. A little leather, rum and spice, but just smidges. Mostly the clean, wet scent. Maybe its too subtle for me? Nothing I object to, just nothing that wows me.

From start to finish, Jolly Roger is ridiculously good on me. I was unsure about this because I wasn't sure about the leather, but I absolutely LOVE this. It's clean but kinda sexy; this will be my go to oil for rough days. I also can't wait to try this on The Boy because I can see this smelling even better on him!

I've nicknamed this one "Hello, Sailor." It's a very masculine scent (whatever "masculine" means in this context, or indeed any other). In the bottle it's got lovely salty freshness and an undertone of rum, and it's pretty much the same on me for the first hour or so. Then the salty sea-air topnotes fade a bit and the rum and especially the leather notes become more predominant. It stays quite dry, though, which I like. This is a scent I would gladly wear every day.

I can only tell you my first hour's worth of impressions of Jolly Roger, because unfortunately it gave me a headache and I had to wash it off. I think the culprit was the aquatic note.

Out of the imp, it was a strong, strong aquatic, and I wasn't sure I was going to like it. But then my skin devoured a lot of it, leaving a mild salt water and lumber smell with a touch of something that I thought resembled allspice.

I don't smell much leather in this, nor very much Bay Rum. It does have a bit of masculine sexiness to it. I wish it had worked better for me. Maybe there's only one piratey scent allocated per person, and I already used up my allowance on Calico Jack. ;)

Edited by rhubarb3point14

In the imp: Sea salt with some leather and an astringent alcohol in the background

On my skin: SALT!!! LEATHER!!! SALTY LEATHER!! No rum. The nice aquatic-ness note completely disappears.

Dry: The leather turns to a salty forest fire with some weird unsettling sweetness lurking beneath (the rum?)

I guess my nose/skin likes to amp leather to high heavens, because the Jolly Roger assaulted me. I was initially intrigued by the sea spray description, but the leather and dry woods ended up making this way too masculine for my liking, and just not my personality at all, swapping it.

Edited by Drae

At first when I got into bpal I was all about exploring the various kinds of aquatics. Then I tried a few and ended up thinking they smelled like soap. I wrote off aquatics for the most part for a while and didn't even bother with them.

I don't know if it's because my nose has gained more experience or if the aquatics I'm trying are different - probably some of both - but several of them have worked their way onto my bottle list.

The bay rum is sweet and a little spiced and I think I'll probably love just about anything featuring this note. The leather is soft and warm and mingles with the bay rum to create a euphoric combination. The wood and sea spray are present, the wood is somehow slightly salty smelling and kind of dry, the sea spray is just a hint in the air.

This scent is so atmospheric that it really sweeps me away. I hope there's a bottle out there with my name on it, I would love to have more of this in my life.

Wet, fresh salty cologne. Dry, more woods. I'm not getting any rum, but am enjoying the woods. This is probably too masculine for me to wear, though.

Oooh, I've been looking forward to this one. :D

In the imp: Mostly wood and rum. Kind of manly-adventurous.

On me, wet: Yep. Leather, rum, wood. I'm not getting much ocean, but I think this is my favorite "manly" scent...Oooh, now the sea note is coming out, and I really like this! I've never actually been on a ship before, but I imagine it would smell like this. The sea note comes to dominate it as it starts to dry more, and it's this cold salty blue aquatic note vaguely reminiscent of one of the ones in The Deep Ones. It's that, but from the deck of a ship.

On me, dry: Sea air blowing through the rigging of a ship. This is a really amazing scent. It's a little more "Adventure!" than I'm used to, and I'm not sure I'd wear it every day, but I love it--I think it's a special and interesting aquatic and I'm glad I got to try it.

On me, I couldn't smell it until I slathered. At that point, it morphed from air freshener to men's cologne, quickly. Something smells like sandalwood, and I'm not getting the salt or the leather at all! I really wanted to like this one, because I love leather scents, but this one just isn't it.

This was in fact one of the first sets I ordered, specifically for summer. I'm a big fan of sea voyage fantasies, and constantly dream about sailing the open sea (Possibly in completely inappropriately stylized leather attire).

Jolly Rodger does not fail to please in that regard.

In Bottle: Salt. So much salt. Crispy sandy salt and aquatic notes. No rum.

Wet: Oh, we have the woods now! Makes me think of the way a dock smells after its had a good soak, and is now baking dry in the high noon sun. The leather is a nice undercurrent.

Dry: The rum's flittering out. After two applications from morning to night from an imp, the rum finally decides it wants to come out just as the sun sets. Its slightly spicy and boozy, and deliciously mixed well with the salt and leather notes. The wood has faded out though, to my eternal sadness. Another dab's needed to bring it back to play.

In the bottle: It does smell like the sea, in a very salty way; yet, it’s woody, with an under-note of sweetness.

Wet: It’s still very aquatic. I get some of the wood, washed by the sea, but it’s still definitively aquatic.

Dry: As it dries, it starts to smell like an old pirate leather hat, with a splash of rhum. (Yarr...)

Verdict: It’s an interesting aquatic after-shave perfume, with an old pirate twist to it.

Sniff test: very aquatic scent, spicy, with an oaken smell like old oaken barrels.

Wet: Much like the sniff test, this smells spicy and aquatic with the oaken barrel smell. Smells like salt water in an old barrel, in the best way possible. However, fairly quickly my skin absorbs the aquatic note, and I’m left with an airy spice.

Dry: This is still spicy, and airy. However, this stuff disappears after an hour almost entirely leaving just a little bit of warmth. Still a hint of rum, but I have Baron Samedi for that.

Verdict: It smells great wet, but doesn’t last with my skin at all. I’ll try it again, but I only expect more of the same. Smells great wet and I’ll keep the imp, but no bottle in the future.

Wet: Masculine and piratey. Arrrr!

Drydown: Equal parts leather, wood, and salt air. Well-balanced. After 10, 15 minutes, the bay rum splashes into the ship and takes over. It’s spicy and sweet.

Dry: This is nearly a single note of bay rum on me, save for a hint of wood anchoring it. It smells a lot like a Christmas candle. Spicy, tingly, cool, and woodsy over a sweet, almost waxy base.

Delicious!

ITI: It's aquatic, but I'm not repulsed by it. The sea spray and leather are well balanced, and the bay rum brings a much-needed sweetness to the scent.

Wet: Salty wood, rum, and well-worn leather. It's not bad, but I don't think I'd reach for this that often.

Dry: The sweetness of the bay rum soothes over the salty aquatic qualities and balances everything out into an attractive unisex scent.

I'm having the reverse experience of BoneBone24 -- this starts out all bay rum on me and then the aquatic notes start to come out on the drydown. It's very light and I'm getting almost no leather (which is too bad since I heart leather). All the notes listed are my jam so there was no way I wasn't going to like this one, but I wish my skin didn't swallow it up. May need to slather next time ;)

Very fresh, aquatic, and salty in the imp, just like the ocean! There's an undercurrent of leather, but unlike the leather in The Red Rider, this one doesn't scare me.

Wet, on me, the spices immediately come out. I think this is the bay rum, although it's only slightly boozy, and reminds me of... cloves, I think? Cloves and leather. The sea spray is still there, but playing second fiddle now.

On drydown, all of the aquatic properties disappear, which is too bad, but what's left is a lot like the way it smells inside a sauna. Unexpected, but I love it! Warm, cedary, salty, still a little spicy.

It's rather masculine, but such a comforting scent that I can see myself wearing this from time to time.

Got this as a frimp. Wet: salty ocean water with bay rum dry: less salty ocean water, lots more bay rum and the woods are turning very sour on me....not good at all. I didn't like this at all so I put something else on top of it...2007 fire pig...curiously, this makes Jolly Roger much more tolerable and adds a deepness to fire pig's effervescence. Therefore, I will keep the imp just to deepen a light scent. Hence, fire pig at sea...

Jolly Roger is very strong of pine needles at first.

Then cinnamon comes out and it smells like pine trees and cinnamon.

Reminds me of December. : )

Edited by icecreamcone

I'm from Florida, and was (am still!) searching for that perfect beachy ocean smell. This one seemed like a good starting place. Initially, I tried this on my husband and thought it a)smelled AMAZING on him, and b)was waaaaaay too masculine for my own use. On him, Jolly Roger takes on a sharp, spicy quality that seems exactly right for a ocean-sprayed pirate. It was very masculine and fresh, but with that sexy leather-y undertone that was just VERY nice on him.

A couple days ago, we went to the beach and I grabbed Jolly Roger to do a live sniff comparison. I put a little bit on my wrist, sniffed, and was blown away. This smells SO DIFFERENT on me! It's like it's a completely different perfume. On my skin, the fresh notes (? Mah untrained nose!)are more prominent, and it has a sort of sweeter, powderier smell. It honestly smells less like a sexily dirty pirate and more like, well, the actual beach. That soft sandy smell mixed with the salty air. I would still say the scent is more masculine than feminine, and much more 'sharp' than I'm used to. But if you're a lady, don't fear this one! It really is a unisex scent that seemed to work equally well (albeit very differently) on my husband and I. We both love it!

This is SO pirate. I love it. Another one I need a big bottle of. Mingles pretty well with the smell of sex, if I do say so myself ;)

wet: brown leather, salty sea breeze, and dry salty wood. somewhat burnt and smoky.

drying down: the burnt smoky smell is coming out more, definitely in a good way.

dry: salty wood, smoke, and a hint of rum.

In the imp: Aquatic cologne.

Wet on my skin: This is a salty, ozone-laden aquatic and not much else at this stage.

Dry: Salty ocean and a teensy bit of rum for an hour or so. After it's been on an hour, a hint of damp leather and something dusty (wood?) starts to appear, but mostly this is a fresh aquatic scent. It's quite nice, and thankfully doesn't have grapefruit/orange in it like many aquatic scents do. Not something I'll wear often, but this will definitely be replacing Kumari Kandam as my go-to for when I need salty seawater.

Jolly Roger imp

Wet/Bottle - Very woody, very dry. Cold salty sea air and warm leather.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Still very dry, cold and airy. I love dry wood and salt scents, so this is totally doing it for me. I'm not getting much rum, which is a positive thing for me.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Dirty, salty sex on a boat.

This is another 5ml I'm going to need ASAP.

Sea spray and Bay Rum in the bottle. Goes on as Bay Rum with salt water. There's a leather note which somehow manages not to turn horrific on me, and then some sweetness? But the overall effect is ugh. True to the description, just not for me.