Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

I get saltwater and sea breezes and driftwood and leather. Mmmm. I wasn't expecting this. This is less intrusive and headache inducing and much more wearable than Calico Jack, imo.

Edited by AmandaKay

Salty sea air, wet leather and glorious cedarwood and sandalwood. The rum escapes me...a suprisingly unisex and tame on the skin. Will see if I can sneak a dab on me matey!!

So I received this in a newbie pack from a lovely forum member.

I am in love.... Absolutely 100% in love.

I can't stop smelling myself and I'm not getting a headache from it at all (which happens with more BPAL than I'd like to admit).

I can smell summer jasmine, walking down the road smelling it wafting up the street from the jasmine that covers my parents fence. I can smell the sunwarmed leather in the house, and the cedar wood from the walls.

I could definitely see myself wearing this every day, it reminds me of home and makes me feel serene.

Edited by Glompbot

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

In vial: leather and salt and aftershave. This may be the actual smell of a pirate, assuming that the pirate had good personal hygiene, which seems an unlikely scenario! ;)

Wet on skin: quite sweet. If you wanted to smell of leather and salt, this would be a really good scent! I think I'd rather like it on a man. But it's not for me.

Hmm...none of the piratey blends have worked for me so far...I'm not huge on salty aquatics of leather so this doesn't sound like it will be for me, but hey, you never know with bpal!

In the imp this is almost all salty wood...it has an aged feel to it, but not in a rotting kind of way. Aged but clean ship wood and salty sea air. A touch of worn brown leather.

On my skin the leather comes out quite a bit more-warm brown leather, a touch of spiciness from the bay rum, and the same saltiness and woods that I had gotten when I sniffed it from the imp. One thing I like about this blend is that the saltiness isn't the weird sour/rotten seaweed aquatic I get from some of the sea-based blends. The longer this sits on my skin, the more the rich bay rum spiciness comes out.

While this isn't a blend I would buy, I think it is one of my favorite of the Bewitching Brews Piratey blends. It's the perfect mix of ocean salt, ship's wood, spices and worn in leather!

Inside the imp, aquatic and woody.

On my skin, wood is top note. Leather emerges several seconds after application.

I pick up a little of the bay rum, but this is mostly wood & leather on my skin.

Edited by angelicruin

I got this as a freebie with my order today, but it is one of the GC I have always wanted to try.

It smells very good on, the leather mingles with the sea air note and there is just a hint of bay rum.

The only problem with it is that it doesn't have much throw, it only lasts about a 1/2 hour on my skin. But if I want a scent for only a half hour, I would definitely wear this one.

what a pleasent suprise, finally one of the pirate themed scents that works for me! while its wet i get cool, aquatic, and sort of masculine notes. as it dries the spiciness of the bay rum becomes more apparent, usually i dont like spice notes but this is fairly subtle and works well with the overall blend. the wood notes, which are my favorite part, also become more apparent once its dry and seem to last the longest of all the notes... overall, i've got nothing but love for Jolly Roger!

I swapped from a friend with this in my Find An Aquatic that Works On Me Search, because almost ALL of my first order were aquatic, and they were... nice in bottles but less than successful on my skin. But I think I've found one! At least this doesn't turn to soap or bugspray as soon as it hits my skin.

In the bottle: Definitely an aquatic scent, with the tingle of a cool sea breeze and bay rum. Lots and lots of really bay rum, which gives it a slightly boozy sweetness. It's what I would imagine drinking a rum and a coke on the beach would smell like. Very nice.

Wet: Getting lots more of the sea breeze. Still sweet, but slightly tempered. I'm guessing that's the driftwood and leather just undercutting the bay rum.

Dry: This is exactly what it smells like to stand on a beach. Smelling the sea air, light and wet and salty. The bay rum is just barely there now, with just a hint of sweetness, which is nice. This is what I'd wear if I wanted to smell like I just came home from the beach (and now I'm reminding myself of that Seinfeld episode :lol: ). This is the first aquatic scent that I've tried and liked on my skin, so it's definitely a success for me. :D Not quiiiite sure if it's bottle worthy, but I'm finding that I never smell leather in blends, it just does really nice things on my skin.

In the IMP and on me it's VERY musky and leathery...

Usually aqatics work pretty well on me, I'm unsure of this one ...

Kinda musky spicy floral on me. No rum no salt :(

Still pleasent though ... just not what I was expecting!

Awhile later ... this is a really nice small on me, not sure if I would buy a bottle... it reminds me of what a young maiden living on a pirtae ship in a romance novel would smell like!!

Edited by Lilly

This is another imp that's eventually going to turn into a bottle after all the holiday mayhem dies down. It's actually a really great summer scent for people like me who don't do the typical "summery" banana, papaya, mango, pina colada etc. The first note that comes out immediately is the salty and refreshing sea spray, and it dries down still retaining that vibe but also the richness of the leather and woods and that wicked but not overbearing splash of bay rum. Yarrrrr :pirate:

I actually have to wonder if I had the same blend as everyone else, because mine definitely didn't smell like anything other than rum!

Rum, rum, rum. I smelled like rum balls! But in a completely good way. A lot of the 'alcohol' based scents (rum, pina colada, etc) absolutely reek on me if I'm not careful, but this one is sweet and light, but still heavy enough for my tastes. There is a hint of leather, but I definitely don't think the beach with this one the way that other reviewers have!

This is a really nice scent that I'd love to smell on someone else but doesn't suit someone as girly as me.

In imp: smells exactly like fresh cut planks and sawdust...woody and a tiny bit sharp.

On skin: Wet, a nice sweetish smell is coming out that must be the Bay Rum. Once this dries it turns into a very rounded, well-blended nutty scent similar to the wood smell in the imp, although I kind of wish the Bay Rum was a bit stronger. It also seems to have above-average lasting power and strength. This is my first test of a fragrance with leather, so I can't identify it...but I can't smell anything remotely similar to a leather jacket, for instance. I also can't smell any "sea spray" but it still smells good.

In the end, this would be a great scent for a guy!

It's like Mary Read took a shower using drugstore soap! :lol: Like, Ivory or Dove or something like that. She's a clean pirate now.

No thanks. I'll stick with Mary Read herself -- it's got more rum and less Bay Rum. Still, this is pretty nice.

This is weird! I smell the sea spray, it smells like the ocean. I get a little woodsy note in the background, but no rum. I'd love this on my boyfriend...

EASILY my favorite so far.

Every time I smell it, I get something a little different. Sometimes the wood, sometimes the leather, sometimes the ocean. I never seem to smell the Bay Rum though. The ocean scent comes out a bit more as it dries, and I love it. Has some GREAT staying power on me as well! It's great on me, but I could also imagine it smelling great on the boy as well.

Will def. be buying a full size bottle of this when the imp runs out!

In the Imp: grapefruit? Citrusy wind/water note

Wet on Skin: ooo something totally tames those weather notes

While Drying: sun-warmed wood and salt spray, maybe some clove in there?

After a Little While: indistinguishable from Lightening and Tempest

Later: rapid fade to almost nothing

Final Thoughts: The initial phases were fantastic. I will need to try this again and see if I can get the good stuff to stick around.

Jolly Roger earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

Sigh. I wanted to love this. I want a pirate scent that works on me! But Jolly Roger, sadly, is not the pirate scent for me. From start to finish, it was a pine-y "ocean" scent. Like one of those Sea Breeze or Ocean Mist air fresheners. :eek: I get a faint, faint, faint hint of leather, way in the background. Maybe if this had more leather, less pine (and more other wood), and less ocean, it'd work on me. Alas. Onto the next!

Edited by plainjean

In the imp: I really doubt that this will work on me, but I bet it'll be dead sexy on my husband. Slathering him now!

Wet: Salty, and a little sweeter than initially expected.

Drydown: More balanced. Just enough rum—he doesn’t smell super-boozy, but there's a pleasant undercurrent.

Later: Awesome. I was right, it smells great on him!

Frimped by the wonderful, incomparable AmandaKay!! <3

This is unbelievable. I want to drown in this smell. I want it to be a blanket to wrap up in.

When I first put this on, it was sweet, clean, bright, with just an edge of sea-bright saltiness. The sweetness is almost floral, but terrifically clean and watery. It's an overwhelmingly good-natured smell, with a hint of mischief--like that best man friend who has a wicked and kindly sense of humor, but is also really steadfast when you need them to be.

This is perfect for me. I've been scuba diving since I was ten, and want to do my PhD on marine mammal behavior; the sea has been a guiding entity in my life. This scent, for me, evokes the image of leaning off the side of your boat in the Caribbean, and trailing your hand through the water.

As this dried down it stayed watery-sweet, but a little bit of leather-smokiness and wood emerged--just a touch. A new image: a pirate who's just taken a dip in the water, and who has now climbed back on board and settled down near the rim at the prow of his ship to let the sun dry him.

This is excellent! =D

in the imp: straight up sea water

on the skin: i get sea water mixed with salty sea sprayed rocks, maybe a little leather, and a lot of old wood that smells exactly like damp cottages.

verrrry interesting..don't know if i'd want to wear it out but it's a really really neat smell. i like it a lot just because it's such a nostalgic smell.

seriously becoming more and more impressed with these oils!

In the bottle: Aquatic notes and wood... perhaps a snap of the leather? Can't make out the rum. It smells clean and slightly masculine.

Immediately after application: Crisp water with a hint of salt. The woody notes are very subdued so far and no hint of rum to be found.

Warming up: The rum is coming out now and I get some... clove? Odd, but enjoyable. It certainly "feels" very piratey to me. I can damn near feel foaming saltwater crashing on the deck and I feel like I'm wearing a cast-off pirate's leather jacket with traces of rum and stolen spices on it.

Fading: A bit soapy, woody, masculine. Not overtly masculine but not what I would consider a feminine scent. I like it but I'm not crazy about it. My skin sucked up the rum/spice notes.

Faded: Clean salty water with a hint of wood. Faded somewhat quickly.

Overall: This one is pretty right on. It smelled exactly how I imagined at first and then faded into a soapier but still seaworthy scent. I like it well enough on me but I have a feeling I will like it a lot more on the husband. Time to grab a flintlock and force him to apply it >] Speaking of flintlocks, I would've like a sparky kick of gunpowder in this one. The smoky, sulphur-y matchstick smell would've added a lot methinks. I'm eager to try the other piratical scents!

This imp had been sitting around forever, and I couldn't decide whether or not I like it. It starts out an aquatic bay rum - very piratey. It lasts a long time like this, then something goes a bit sour. I'm guessing the leather. After maybe 10 minutes the sour leaves, and it becomes more woody, but still dominated by aquatic bay rum. And as it dries, it sweetens and goes a little powdery on me. And it lasts all day. Your wouldn't think an aquatic would be an all day scent, but there you have it.

I really like this on a warm summer day. So many scents are seasonal, and now that I know where to put this one (summer, definitely), I love it!