Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
redward

BPAL and fibromyalgia

Hi everyone,

I am a complete noob here, but you all seem pretty nice! The individual things in my post have probably been dealt with in other topics, but since I have a specific angle here, I figure it isn't a total repeat.

I have fibromyalgia and if statistics bear out, so do about 340 other fourm members. Plus all the fam and friends of fibromites, that makes a bunch of people this is of potential interest to. I was poking around on the BPAL main site and noticed the Panacea and Somnium series. I had been thinking BPAL was just perfume, then I got all excited about the possibility of aromatherapy that might help me deal with some of my fibro symptoms.

So, I would like to poke into the collective wisdom of the forum for your recommendations about what oils to try for what symptoms. Hopefully the thread will be of use to others who come along looking for similar info.

Fibromyalgia 101. It is a chronic illness that causes chronic pain (body wide or site specific), fatigue, sleep problems (fallling asleep, staying asleep, etc.), digestive problems - most commonly IBS, TMJ disorders are very common, can lead to anxiety and panic attacks, hypersensitivity to noise and touch, well, we'd be here all day if I did a full rundown. :cry2: It seems to be a central nervous system/hormone/biochemical disorder, since there is nothing actually wrong with body to cause the pain we get. A bit of a medical mystery at the moment, although research is finding new stuff all the time. Treating fibro is really just about relieving symptoms since the cause is unknown. The effects on individuals run from somewhat inconvenient (think mild arthritis) to completely disabling.

I will list the main symptoms below and I will love you forever if you can suggest the oils that have helped you. Don't restrict yourself to just the Panacea and Somnium scents, there might be others you have found good.

Sleep problems

falling asleep

staying asleep

calming the racing/stressed out mind

this one is weird - lots of fibromites get what is called the Alpha/Delta anomaly. When you get down to stage 3 and 4 (deep) sleep, you brain kicks you back out to REM. This results in excessive and VERY vivid dreaming and a lack of deep sleep. So, something to deepen sleep and/or reduce dreaming/REM stage sleep.

Stress reduction

Relieving anxiety

Antidepressant/mood lifters

Fatigue

Pain relief (if you can think of the type of pain, we have it)

anyone know what kind of scents might cause endorphin release?

Relieving/relaxing tight, sore, knotted muscles

If any fellow fibromites want to add anything to the list, knock your socks off.

I await your replies so I can get down to finding imps and decants and get sniffing.

Cheers,

Ruthanne

PS, You don't have to have fibromyalgia to reply. We all have trouble sleeping, being tired, etc. sometime or another.

Edited by Ruthanne

Wow, I also suffer from fibromyalgia and I never thought of asking the forum which oils might produce good effects; great question!

Hi everyone,

I am a complete noob here, but you all seem pretty nice! The individual things in my post have probably been dealt with in other topics, but since I have a specific angle here, I figure it isn't a total repeat.

I have fibromyalgia and if statistics bear out, so do about 340 other fourm members. Plus all the fam and friends of fibromites, that makes a bunch of people this is of potential interest to. I was poking around on the BPAL main site and noticed the Panacea and Somnium series. I had been thinking BPAL was just perfume, then I got all excited about the possibility of aromatherapy that might help me deal with some of my fibro symptoms.

So, I would like to poke into the collective wisdom of the forum for your recommendations about what oils to try for what symptoms. Hopefully the thread will be of use to others who come along looking for similar info.

Fibromyalgia 101. It is a chronic illness that causes chronic pain (body wide or site specific), fatigue, sleep problems (fallling asleep, staying asleep, etc.), digestive problems - most commonly IBS, TMJ disorders are very common, can lead to anxiety and panic attacks, hypersensitivity to noise and touch, well, we'd be here all day if I did a full rundown. :cry2: It seems to be a central nervous system/hormone/biochemical disorder, since there is nothing actually wrong with body to cause the pain we get. A bit of a medical mystery at the moment, although research is finding new stuff all the time. Treating fibro is really just about relieving symptoms since the cause is unknown. The effects on individuals run from somewhat inconvenient (think mild arthritis) to completely disabling.

I will list the main symptoms below and I will love you forever if you can suggest the oils that have helped you. Don't restrict yourself to just the Panacea and Somnium scents, there might be others you have found good.

Sleep problems

falling asleep

staying asleep

calming the racing/stressed out mind

this one is weird - lots of fibromites get what is called the Alpha/Delta anomaly. When you get down to stage 3 and 4 (deep) sleep, you brain kicks you back out to REM. This results in excessive and VERY vivid dreaming and a lack of deep sleep. So, something to deepen sleep and/or reduce dreaming/REM stage sleep.

Stress reduction

Relieving anxiety

Antidepressant/mood lifters

Fatigue

Pain relief (if you can think of the type of pain, we have it)

anyone know what kind of scents might cause endorphin release?

Relieving/relaxing tight, sore, knotted muscles

If any fellow fibromites want to add anything to the list, knock your socks off.

I await your replies so I can get down to finding imps and decants and get sniffing.

Cheers,

Ruthanne

Although I don't have fibromyalgia, I often have insomnia, and find the following oils useful for helping to relax and fall asleep:

TAL Nocturne (puts me into a DEEP sleep)

Somnus

TKO

Quietude

You may want to check out the TALs as well; some of the oils there may be useful -- I think there's one called Healing. Good luck!

http://www.twilightalchemylab.com/

Temple of Dreams is good for sleep. I find anything with vanilla can be good for when i'm generally crappy. Shadwell and Dorian are particularly comforting/calming.

I recently tried Coyote and I was surprised at how calming it was. I think it could be a terrific sleep and/or meditation scent. It wasn't very strong on me, it'd require a slathering.

of course :heart: TKO :heart: for sleep and for any time I need an emotional lift

there aren't a whole lot of bpals with it, but Tangerine EO really lifts my mood and energy levels. I like citrus in general, but Tangerine and Grapefruit are my faves.

eta: oh PS, I've read that frankincense is an effective anti-depressant you might want to check out some of those blends. I really enjoy burning the Fred Soll incenses that contain frankincense.

Edited by Hoyden

I recently tried Coyote and I was surprised at how calming it was. I think it could be a terrific sleep and/or meditation scent. It wasn't very strong on me, it'd require a slathering.

of course :heart: TKO :heart: for sleep and for any time I need an emotional lift

there aren't a whole lot of bpals with it, but Tangerine EO really lifts my mood and energy levels. I like citrus in general, but Tangerine and Grapefruit are my faves.

eta: oh PS, I've read that frankincense is an effective anti-depressant you might want to check out some of those blends. I really enjoy burning the Fred Soll incenses that contain frankincense.

That's really interesting about Frankincense! I've never heard that but have noticed a great improvement in my mood since wearing my oil with frankincense in this past week.

I also have fibro and have a good few suggestions for help with sleep but they are not bpal, if you're interested.

That's really interesting about Frankincense! I've never heard that but have noticed a great improvement in my mood since wearing my oil with frankincense in this past week.

I also have fibro and have a good few suggestions for help with sleep but they are not bpal, if you're interested.

I'd love to hear your other suggestions! Perhaps you can PM me since it isn't BPAL stuff. (Don't want to do any forum no-nos to start things off.)

Cheers,

Ruthanne

I find Water of Notre Dame to be soothing for anxiety, but it is very floral so be aware if you don't like that. I haven't been diagnosed with fibro but I have a bunch of the symptoms and I also have endometriosis which is caused by hormone imbalances too. That is interesting about frankincense. I have been wearing A Certain Slant of Light (which contains it) and I have felt chipper tonight.

Strangely, I find I get the best night's sleep with wearing Snake Oil. It's really quite odd, because it's such a sexy scent, but I find it relaxes me entirely and I get the best night's sleep with it - and yes, I too have fibromyalgia.

There are a couple of threads that discuss some of the individual symptoms. Looking over them at your leisure may also give you some ideas to try, and you can share any thoughts, discussion of results, etc. here. None of them are too huge or unwieldy, but you can use the "search thread" feature (at the bottom left of any page of the thread under the last post) if you want to narrow it down to certain topics within the thread.

BPAL for sleep issues

BPALs to help with physical pains and illness

Comforting, cheering scents

Scents to help with depresson

Relaxing and calming scents

Thanks ivyandpeony :wub2:

I will get looking at those threads post haste. Even just the fact that you have listed them here all together is very helpful. One of the symptoms I didn't mention is fibrofog aka brain farts! Things in one place is great.

Cheers,

Ruthanne

There are a couple of threads that discuss some of the individual symptoms. Looking over them at your leisure may also give you some ideas to try, and you can share any thoughts, discussion of results, etc. here. None of them are too huge or unwieldy, but you can use the "search thread" feature (at the bottom left of any page of the thread under the last post) if you want to narrow it down to certain topics within the thread.

BPAL for sleep issues

BPALs to help with physical pains and illness

Comforting, cheering scents

Scents to help with depresson

Relaxing and calming scents

ah, fibro fog. boy, that's something i'd be happy to see disappear from my life *forever*

anyway, i have to echo what other folks have said about the magic of TKO. it's absolutely my first-line defense for helping me to sleep when the pain or anxiety becomes too unbearable. it's the only BPAL that doesn't live in a big box- i keep it on my night table for constant access.

i also really like Antique Lace because it's scent isn't overpowering during those fabulous times when Fibro makes all my senses a wee too strong. it's really gentle and is a really comforting one, i've found.

Bitch, i find, is good for lethargy, big time. Perfect for the days when getting out of bed is needed and yet seems like the most enormous effort imaginable.

and last but not least, i strongly recommend High John The Conqueror for any time one has to leave the house and get needs met. i wear it on the days that i'm in so much pain i HAVE to use my cane and i am in no mood to have to yell at someone to give me a seat on the bus. everyone just makes room for me, automatically.

hope this helps, and welcome aboard- lots of folks around here have chronic conditions and although not everyone has ours, there's generally lots of support and empathy, cause we all know how hard things can get. :hug:

Hey, I have no particular advice, but I thought it might interest you to know that there's research showing that fibromyalgia patients are more sensitive to bad odors than the general population-- so they'll rate the same smell as being more unpleasant. I guess that means don't try to love something if you don't right away, and don't be surprised if you're picker than most forumites!

Hugs to you! My Mom has fibro too, and I never realized that the Alpha/Delta anomaly had a name before! She dreams so vividly that she often talks to us with her eyes open while she is sleeping. My dad awoke one night to find her standing on the edge of the bed "cleaning the mold off the ceiling fan" and had to take a few minutes to talk her back into lying down again.

I'll tenth the TKO rec for sleep! Lilith Victoria and Wulric (both LE's, but Wulric is still available) are scents that a lot of forumites find comforting as well (both have lavender).

You might also check out the trading post; I've heard of some people having good success with the massage oils as well.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you can find some blends that help you (or at the very least, some that smell wonderful)!

Gecko-

I'm an endo sufferer, too. I find that A Certain Slant of Light helps when I'm laying in a ball with my heating pad. At least it helps keep my spirits up!

and last but not least, i strongly recommend High John The Conqueror for any time one has to leave the house and get needs met. i wear it on the days that i'm in so much pain i HAVE to use my cane and i am in no mood to have to yell at someone to give me a seat on the bus. everyone just makes room for me, automatically.

Awesome strategy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I have no particular advice, but I thought it might interest you to know that there's research showing that fibromyalgia patients are more sensitive to bad odors than the general population-- so they'll rate the same smell as being more unpleasant. I guess that means don't try to love something if you don't right away, and don't be surprised if you're picker than most forumites!

This would explain why i can't stand the mall. All that chremical stick from cheap perfume/cologne.

Hello! I have fibro/ME and BPAL has helped so much -

TKO, as oil and massage oil, is fabulous for deepening sleep. I still dream constantly and jump out of sleep but it helps.

Urgh massage oil is so soothing for deep pain, also for flu-like symptoms.

Quietude calms my brain when it goes into overdrive/anxiety/paranoia.

And so many cheer me up, but Rose Red, Beaver'versary and Bliss make me grin every day, no matter what I feel like.

BPAL's main therapeutic effect for me is how an oil can open up sensory worlds away from pain, discomfort and sadness, one in which I am strong and creative and marvellous. Hope you have the most fantastic time trying things out.

Hello! I have fibro/ME and BPAL has helped so much -

BPAL's main therapeutic effect for me is how an oil can open up sensory worlds away from pain, discomfort and sadness, one in which I am strong and creative and marvellous. Hope you have the most fantastic time trying things out.

Yes, yes, Labyrinthine! :clap: You hit the nail on the head. It seems to me that BPAL is a great way to have some experience of the world without it leaving you tired, hurting, etc. Just to have more pleasure in ones life is therapeutic, I figure. I can picture having one of those horrible days where everything is crap, but I can still pull out some oil and just enjoy the pretty smellies.

I was thinking just the other day how some of the hobbies I used to enjoy so much now just cause more pain than the benefit of doing it. I reckon my body can handle smelling perfume. :tongue:

Eagerly awaiting my first imps!

ETA - they arrived this afternoon! I will be going to bed with TKO tonight (I hope hubby doesn't mind me taking someone else to bed) :whip:

Cheers,

Ruthanne

Edited by Ruthanne

my sister has fibro/ME too and i sent her a few imps she is now hooked and planning her first order she likes how they lift her mood she says they help her escape what would normaly be a very mundane day!