Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Velvet Clown

Rum-soaked cotton candy, boot-stomped licorice whips and circus peanuts, scorched marshmallows, a dribble of corn whiskey, cigar smoke, and greasepaint.

Slightly boozy and *very* sticky-sweetly cloying. This makes me think of that awful fruit cocktail/marshmallow fluff concoction that people used to bring to church picnics back in the day. In the latter stages a slightly burnt/smokiness comes through. Interesting but I don't want to smell like a clown, so--pass.

Wow. Very much rum. Reminds me of Butter Rum Cookie.

Don't really get anything else.

Honestly, clowns freak me out, so it wasn't until I read the reviews that I seriously considered even trying this. But I'm so glad that I did!

In the vial: It's when the oil is wet and contained that it really embodies the concept. It smells just like what I would imagine it would, a clown between acts guzzling some kind of booze, I can make out the grease paint and something sweet. The circus peanuts candy.

Wet: Boozey, fermented fruits, and bubblegum swirl around. I was already impressed at this stage, but not really looking forward to being mistaken for someone with a drinking problem. However as it dries the scent begins to change. It becomes fresh bright cherry, liquor, and I still think I am smelling the face paint. If you're wondering the face paint is kind of a background scent. So, don't be afraid. If you've never smelled halloween face paint, then you may not even recognize it here.

Dry: On drydown this starts to smell like a relative to Teenage Cannibal but more complex. It seems to keep the bubblegum and spiced fruits of Cannibal, but there are other smells here as well making this much more interesting. It's still a little boozy, but not too much. I wouldn't be mistaken for someone with a drinking problem anymore, thankfully. There seems to be a lot of cherry, and other sweet smells that are tart and interesting.

I've heard a lot of other people compare this to Sugar Skull, but to my nose they are nothing alike. To me this is like the Teenage Cannibal got into some Marshmallow Poof and rum. I'm a huge fan of Teenage Cannibal (3 bottles,) Marshmallow Poof, and rum. So, the only question for me is how many bottles? I'll try the other Velvets I'm interested in before I can decide. :cheers:

If you like Velvet Clown try: Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal, Marshmallow Poof, Midway, TAL: Perpetuum Bonuum.

I'm waiting for the show to start with a cherry lolipop in one hand and one of those sparkly things in the other. Only, I'm not ten, I'm twenty-three, with a bottle of rum beside me. The smoke starts filling the stage and a shape appears. A creepy ass clown, eyeing my bottle approaches and leans over, his brightly smudged face smelling of grease paint and peanuts. He takes the bottle, downs it, muttering a 'thanks kid' then starts to juggle.

Hehe, no I didn't have a bad clown experience as a kid, why do you ask?

In all seriousness-This is one delicious clown :yum: This is mostly cherry on me then turns into a nice smooth, sweet greasy paint (in a good way!) scent. The throw is moderate and I wish there were more but it is slather worthy! :wub2:

Essentially, this smells like a blend of Dia de los Muertos and Midway. (Someone also said it's like John Barleycorn and L'Heure verte, which is an excellent description.)

When wet, it reminds me first and foremost of Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal. It smells like bubble gum and cotton candy with a hint of a savory center (red ginger in cannibal, scorched marshmallow and peanuts here) and something astringent (the lemon in cannibal, the booze in this).

As it dries it loses the bubblegum and becomes smokier and smokier. In the second phase, you can really smell the scorched marshmallow and the corn whiskey. The licorice becomes stronger little by little, but if I didn't know licorice was here, I don't know if I'd immediately pick it out. Although a sharp note is impossible to miss, it doesn't scream anise or licorice jellybean. (Definitely a similar effect to the absinthe in l'Heure Verte.)

Eventually, the sweetness hovers just around the periphery, with a core of burnt popcorn leftovers and fresh licorice snaps, washed down with a shot of whiskey. It is dark and almost incense-like. Carnival scented incense, ha! The grease paint and combination of odd notes lends a vaguely plastic quality that actually works well to round things out.

So it starts out as bubblegum but turns into the flaming wreckage of a circus. LOVE IT.

Try it if you like: blends mentioned in review, Al-Azif, Bonfire Night

This could be either really gross, really great, or and interesting concept scent that I will never wear but can't let go of because it's just so odd.

In the bottle: Boozy candies.

On me: Someone else described it as burnt fruity sugar, and that's dead on. About 30 seconds into drydown, I get more licorice than fruit.

After a bit: I was really worried about the whiskey. I'm a recovering alkie and I really can't be smelling too boozy or people might wonder :P But really, I don't pick up any liquor at all.

This does remind me of Sugar Skull in a big way, but far less cloying and a lot less throw. I'll likely keep my bottle.

I want this to be evil candy. Please be evil candy. In the imp...evil candy. Squee. On me, it's still evil candy.

My favorite blends usually the ones that actually stay blended and don't amp one or two notes. I smell sticky gooey candy with a whiff of tobacco smoke and—I don't actually enjoy drinking rum, but as a note it gets along well with me—just the hint of rum, maybe a slight twist of whiskey.

Evil toasted caramelized candy. And I can't stop sniffing it. I need a bottle.

In the bottle, alcohol. Stroooong alcohol. Rum and whiskey.

On me, there's a blast of all the sweet notes, the licorice, cotton candy and marshmallow, all rolled into one very intense sugar rush.

Then it's all whisky again, with just a faint bit of the sugar rush sticking stubbornly to the edge of the scent. It smells like I just rinsed my hands in the whiskey. The sugar holds on, and the alcohol fades a little, and now it is slightly toasted(both meanings) cotton candy scent with just a bit of licorice hanging out at the edges.

----

I called this "scary clown" when I reviewed it in the will call thread. I was never a fan of clowns; they really did frighten me as a kid, and the clown on the label, if encountered in person, would have sent me crying and possibly running in terror as a child if it had gotten too near me(20 feet or so, I think...or anything aproaching eye contact).

I'm still waiting on the drydown. I had to wash all the scent off after coming home from will call in deference to my husband's over sensitive nose. Even after washing this off, the next morning I could smell a really lovely lush(again, both meanings of the word) vanilla.

----

About 15 minutes in, the whiskey and all the sugar rush are still there, and maybe I can detect the peanuts...or perhaps it is just the hint of the salt that makes the sweetness of all that sugar more intense and makes you thirsty. There is also the suggestion of the greasepaint. Thankfully, the greasepaint is in the background.

------

30 minutes in, the cigars arrive. They aren't taking over though, so, basically, I have whiskey, sugar rush, a tiny bit of saltyness? and cigars. I think the vanilla is beginning to assert itself, and the whisky is finally beginning to smell more like a flavoring, and less like I poured whiskey on my hands. =) Alcohol loves my skin, but, fortunately, vanilla is a good friend to me and is willing to drive me home.

The scent as it settles in for the long haul is Vanilla, steeped in enough whiskey to make an extract, and poured over sweet sugared tobacco. Not bad at all.

Oh, it`s the rum boxing with fruity bubble gum, and they beat hard!

Eh, cotton candy is flying in the air, beware your heads!

Peanuts?

:wub: :wub: :wub: I hate clowns and circus, go figure

Last year I was chatting with one of the labbies about the yules, and she was telling me she was surprised that Winter of our discontent wasn't a giant hit, because she dabbed a bit on herself and all day was going, "mmmmm" what is that fantastic scent?

Well, that is me and Velvet clown. I put a little on myself, and then settled to watch TV with my mom. Suddenly, i'm like, what is that wonderful smell? And I realize, it's me!!! I'm getting something that's like boozy marshmallow caramel with maybe a hint of smokiness, which only makes it more delicious.

Must.........get .........more...........

This scent smells like rocket fuel and candy to me...the alcohol is just SO strong, and then there's a Gooey Pillowcase sweetness to it that is so cloying. I love that people in this thread are so into this scent, but I'm definitely not one of them! This one will singe your nose hair it's so powerful.

In the vial: Whoa nelly! Circus peanuts to the extreme! Super rummy booze, and some licorice. And something really sharp and chemical-like (mebbe that's the 'greasepaint?'). Ugh. Nose-burning strength. *eye twitch*

Wet: RUM! Lotsa booze. Now shifting into something sort of spicy. Shifting into a different booze, even more potent (ah the 'corn whiskey' I bet). And sweet. Very sweet. Again w/ the nose-burning strength. *eye twitch*

Drydown: After even ten minutes, this finally becomes something tolerable. Whew! Oooooh, a little bit of cigar smoke which is delish! Darn, that doesn't stand out enough or linger long enough.

Verdict: Ugh, it's just, a bit much. I don't think I like it all that much, which is too bad as I just swapped for a bottle of it. :huh?:

Bottle: This scares the bejeesus out of me in the bottle. It's like a drunken roadside worker rolled around in a candy aisle. It's very heavy on the booze and some tar while maintaining a sickly sweet smell. Well, in the name of science, we must test this.

Wet: Red licorice ropes, smashed in with circus peanuts, something boozy and some tar. Umm...

Drydown: The sweet red licorice comes to the fore with a dash of whiskey. It smells like what it would be like to drink whiskey through a licorice straw. Oddly appetizing. Why is my mouth watering?

Dry: Sweet and a bit musky. It's strangely nice. I'm kind of curious how this will wear after a few hours.

Overall: Quite a surprise. I have been holding the bottle at arm's length while decanting, but I kinda like it on my skin. That'll teach me, won't it?

In bottle: OMG whiskey and rum. Like really, really whiskey and rum. I can detect the marshmallow under there and something weirdly cherry, no clue what that’s from and a touch of liquorice. Wow, that’s boozey. Not nice boozey. Scary drunk off his ass guy cornering you in the bar and breathing serious alcohol breath on you boozey. Wet: The booze does calm a little on the skin, but is still scary clown strong. I’m getting more candy and greasepaint now. It is generally less alarming, but I’m not sure it’s going to work. Dry; surprisingly innocuous in a candy sort of way. Who knew.

Velvet Clown

Wow. One whiff, and I think I'm drunk. Two, and I'm hungover. I think I applied a bit too much, and it was OMGBOOZE! The red licorice in the bottle completely morphed into alcohol on my skin--I feel like I could almost smell it changing--and then let the cigar smoke take over. Dry, it's a whirl of ... well, a carnival at nightfall. It's sticky-sweet candy that you've eaten too much of and smoke and greasepaint. It's not unpleasant, but it has a sinister feeling to it--but maybe that's because I have an aversion to clowns.

Velvet Clown is hard for me not to like because it really does smell like those orange marshmallow circus peanuts with faint wiffs of rum and grease paint, very sugary indeed. Velvet Unicorn outlasted this ones wear length but I still think I want a bottle of it? :think: ....yeah i do! :smilenod:

In the imp: AUGH! OH GODS!! I think I just became diabetic just sniffing that. I couldn't make out any notes except that it was painfully sweet.

Wet: Marshmallows and cotton candy, toothachingly sweet.

Dry: Just as it hits the drying stage, I start to smell the greasepaint and it's really mellowed out the sweetness. I'm no longer in danger of getting cavities.

I'm really surprised at how this morphed on the dry down. It started out so sickeningly sweet and is now a bit of spicy (that's how circus peanuts smell to me) and mildly sweet. The throw also shrank incredibly and has become soft.

This one is interesting. I get what I assume must be the greasepaint - it does smell greasy on me, like some sort of industrial lubricant, almost - and a good strong dose of sugar, with a bit of booze. The sugar eventually fades, but the greasy, boozy quality lingers. I'm really glad I had the chance to try this very evocative scent, but definitely won't need more than my decant, if that... the Pink Kitty is shaping up to be my boozy, sugary Velvet of choice.

In the vial and wet on my skin it smells just like those orange marshmallow circus peanuts. After it dries down it becomes somewhat boozy and smoky.. I actually liked the marshmallow candies, this.. not so much..

In the bottle, this smells like sickly sweet cherry and red licorice.

On my skin, this instantly becomes darker and less disgustingly sweet (though it still hovers on the verge of being too sweet for me). It really does smell like red licorice, spiced rum, and a bit of sweet, dry, earthy tobacco at first.

Over time, something about this smells like spicy potpourri on my skin. Rum often smells cinnamony on my skin, and I'm definitely getting that here. Sweet cinnamon and candy. It smells cheap and starts to give me a headache.

This isn't as unique or interesting as I had hoped. It smells mostly of cinnamon with hints of sweet candy on me. I might tolerate this as a room scent, but it's not something that I can actually wear.

in the decant: super super sweet sticky cherry candy and booze

on skin: much the same. It's sticky sweet candy and sticky sweet booze. there's some licorice among the cherry now, but it's not changing a whole lot. I'm not getting any cinnamon at all.

I think this is my least favourite of all the velvets. If it was less sticky smelling I would probably like it more.

You know how craft stores smell when they get in a new stock of potpourri? That's pretty much what this smells like on me, for hours, with lots of throw.

I was hoping for the foody loveliness everyone else seems to get, but for me, the spicy/greasy/leather notes are taking over, and I can only get a tiny bit of sweetness as a complex component note (and that's only because I know to look for it).

It's a nice nostalgic scent for me, but not one I wish to wear.

Edited by ladymissspyder

Still not sure if I like this one. Sometimes I smell it and I gag on a thick, oily smell; other times it smells like orange schnapps and I want to drink it.

VERY bad on my skin and too unpredictable in a scent locket to be a keeper.

In the imp: Rum and licorice

Wet: I was surprised at how different this was to in the imp- it changed as soon as it hit skin. Predominantly burnt marshmallow, licorice and cigar smoke.

Dry: Smoke, greasepaint (I love that note), licorice and a touch of caramel. It's a lot less boozy than I expected. Annoyingly this didn't last long. I needed to reapply after about 3-4 hours.

This one's amazing. I'm going to have to try to get a bottle of this. After seeing how the licorice behaves on me I'm going to need a bottle of Deathly Pride from the Inquisition as well