Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Velvet Panther

vellg-panther.gif

Dark musk, star anise, agarwood, styrax, vetiver, gaiacwood, King mandarin, violet leaf, and black vanilla.

I took a chance with this one, since I don't like vanilla, but I thought the many woods might be worth it. So far, I think it's worth it for me. To those who don't care for woods: I don't think they are so strong and pronounced as to dominate. The soft sweetness overlays them like a caress -- beneath that smooth sweet surface, a core of the glossy woody notes glisten and sparkle. None of the other notes push forward into the foreground: I don't smell anise, I don't get a strong sense of mandarin or violet, there is just a general soft, purring sweetness with a dark core. In the bottle I do smell the mandarin as a top note -- bright and glossy, sunlight reflecting on dark fur. It may be a feline cousin of Hellhound, without whatever notes in that one smelled like chemicals and burning hair to me. Strong, muscular purring softness. Not an overly masculine blend, I think it would work fine on either gender (though personally I favor masculine blends myself).

Edited by sarada

bottle: this is deep and fruity with strong, creamy vanilla.

wet: there is nary a hint of vetiver here, just wood sweetened with fruit. the vanilla is pretty soft, a backdrop really.

dry: this is a little sweeter once dry, the vanilla has appeared again. still no vetiver (whew!). i like this scent a great deal.

Sniffing the bottle, this is a darkly sweet blend.

Wet on my skin, the notes I pick up first are anise, dark musk, vanilla, mandarin, and slightly woody. I was a little scared with the Vetiver note as that can be death on my skin, but so far the other notes are disguising the vetiver enough that I really don't smell it.

As it dries, the anise is still there giving it a slightly bitter licorice scent blended with musk and vanilla. The wood note is very subdued and I get whiffs here and there of the King Mandarin, but no vetiver. :thumbsup:

I'm glad I took a chance on this. It's beautifully dark, sexy blend on my skin. :wub2:

Right away I can smell MUSK and wood. It has star anise in here too which is a fruit but it is also used in Galliano which has a sweetish smell that I can definitely catch in here (not unpleasant though). The vanilla is very dark and rich and blended with the other ingredients adds sweetness to it. At first I thought it was too cologny but that was due to the vetiver I think. After drydown, the cologny odor fades away and I am left with a lightly sweet, musky, spicy, scent. YUMMY! :wub2:

For something with musk, vanilla and as much wood as there is listed, I'd think this would be stronger on me? Instead, this starts off as medium throw and very quickly becomes a close to the skin scent.

Wet, I can smell the vetiver and woods and they nearly cover the sweeter anise, vanilla and mandarin. It's dark and smooth, with only a hint of sweetness.

Drying, it stays smooth, but becomes a very quiet, close to the skin, sweetness. It's barely detectable unless I really get close, sort of like black fur on black velvet, I suppose.

I am really very surprised at how quiet a scent this is on me.

~edit~

So, I walk into my computer room this afternoon and go, "Mmmmmmm...what is that smell? Did I spill something? I hope I didn't have a spill of whatever I am smelling! Oh...I put some of the Velvet Panther on a paper towel to try it on something other than my skin. Ooooohhhh..." So, it turns out that this, if it is faint on my skin for some unfathomable reason(I thought vanilla and woods liked me!), might be the scent that takes over my locket untill I get tired of it...which may not happen. Wow! If this scent doesn't work on your skin, try it on a bit of cotton or something instead. It is fabulous!

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

I usually shy away from anything with vetiver, but I took a chance because of my love of black musk. Luckily, I was not dissappointed! The black musk is just like the one in Haunted, one of my favorite GC scents. The Velvet Panther is warm, sweet, sexy, and slightly spicey. I don't get a lot of star anise, and the violet leaf is not !VIOLET! at all.

This was one I was unsure about buying a full bottle, but I'm glad I did and I suspect I'll have to buy a couple more before they vanish. I also think this will only get better with age.

Aerinha:

Drying, it stays smooth, but becomes a very quiet, close to the skin, sweetness. It's barely detectable unless I really get close, sort of like black fur on black velvet, I suppose.

What lovely imagery!

I was somewhat surprised by this - not that I liked, I was sure that I would - but that I wish I'd gotten two bottles of THIS instead of Velvet Tiger!

My DH and I have a tendency to share many of the gender-neutral scents, and some of the masc ones as well (except for the ones that I want to think of as ONLY him, w/out knowing how they smell on me.) :glomp:

But as it turns out, Panther is the one I want to share - it smells more neutral to me than Tiger, not as agressive. Or maybe it's every bit as agressive, but in a stealth-like "stalking" way .... it doesn't want you to know it's there until you're right on top of it.

Whereas Tiger seems as little more forward, putting the sensuality right out there front and center. While Panther comes slinking in, even sexier for being unexpected.

I went back to read the descriptions after testing today, and I can't imagine I missed the obvious fact that Panther would be the two-bottle choice. Absolutely lovely, and my favorite of the Velvet Paintings next to Velvet Nudie, which very well may become my new signature scent. Thank goodness they are up until June 1!

This one goes on a strong musk like scent with some resin...the drydown is amazing...I had a strong suspicion I would adore this one and it did not disappoint...it is a dark scent...and sexy...on this one you can smell the vetiver...dark and earthy along with some resins and smoke...then the sweetness of the black vanilla and star anise comes out...oh sexy dark vanilla scents...I adore thee...this is amazing on me...the musk is almost a skin musk...a real passion type scent...it is not overpowering...close to the skin...beyond amazing

I'm not someone turned off by vetiver at all - I actually like it in most blends, so I wasn't afraid of this scent for that reason. For me - the term "dark musk" means that a scent is going to turn into "Old Man at the Swap Meet". It's got a pretty bad record on my skin. But after I read dark musk I read.... star anise. OMG. I love star anise. And then... mandarin! Ooooh. Anise and mandarin? Yes please. I was willing to overcome my fear of dark musk for the chance at an anise and mandarin scent.

No such luck though. Anise, mandarin and vanilla are all MIA for me in this one. Oh but dark musk is definitely there don't you know. This scent is musky, murky and musty on me (ie Old Man at the Swap Meet). Sad :(

in the bottle dark and fruity, like schwarzer mond on a tropical vacation and just a hint of dark powdery-ness

wet on skin very smooth, none of the notes are really fighting it out for dominance here. it's a more masculine version of sugar moon on me with a still slightly tropical feel. not campy tropical, not like the tikis, say, but the breath of fruit over the dark resins is slightly exotic.

dry on skin still very smooth, but loses the fruitiness. the musk, resins, and vanilla (in that order) are what sticks around. throw is slightly lower than average.

extremely wearable, smooth, and fuzzy and very much unisex. this is a summer scent for those of us who don't care for bright summery scents.

Edited by ravenfeathers

For once...I have a scent with veviter that works on my skin. :eek: and :joy: Growl.....this does smell like a slinky, dark panther creeping through the trees on the hunt at night. I have to admit...I like this one...it may actually be bottle worthy.

This is a morpher on me at first. It rapidly switches from licorice to vanilla to licorice-vanilla-vetiver and to… men's cologne? Yep. Even after about an hour this smells just like cheap men's cologne on me. All the Velvet scents I thought would work aren't, how odd.

This smells kind of like a watered down Lunar Eclipse on me...I definitely need more time to bond with this one. Every time I sniff it I have a different opinion. I detest the way it smells wet, but the longer I keep it on my skin, the more it starts to grow on me. Hmmmmm...

A distinct lime note that I'm getting is really whats reeling me in for the kill, here. It's delectable. Overall, though, I think I'd like to smell this on my boyfriend more than on myself, so off it goes on its merry way to its new home in the happy lil' BPAL for boys box!

Wet on my skin, this does have a strong citrus-like feel to it - though to me more lemon than lime. Maybe it's the combination of the anise, mandarin, and vetiver? That phase does not last very long. As it dries, the musk and black vanilla come out, and they take the lead, while vetiver moves to the background and anise almost disappears. The woods are a thought at the back of the scent, always on the verge of coming out but they never really do.

I like this. I'm a big fan of dark musk, and this scent features it beautifully.

Edited by GreenSpine

I had no doubts at all that I'd be getting a bottle of this. It's really great, but I like the opening 'wet on the skin' stage more than anything. It's fruity and dark like Faiza, almost reminding me of a deep, blood-red sangria or something*. The other notes are there, swirling around, and I think I can pick out violet leaf and anise, if I try.

As it starts to dry, the dark musk and vanilla come out and pretty much take over. The star anise reminds me a bit of leather, which it tends to do sometimes. The vanilla is the deep, smokey variety, and it reminds me of Snake Oil's vanilla. As for the dark musk, I've smelled that before, too. It calls to mind Iago and Haunted, like someone else mentioned. But smelling this musk and vanilla together might be a new thing for me. I can't remember that combination in any other bpal scent, but they work together really, really well!

As it continues to dry and starts to fade, the musk does start to take on a powdery aspect, which I thought might happen, and is pretty much my only complaint about this scent. Much, much later, I think the woods and vetiver come out a bit, and the scent takes on a more cologne-like quality, which is fine with me, but might turn some others off (assuming they have the same experience). The person above who said to try this in a scent locket is probably on to something here. It's that first stage of the scent that really grabs me, and I want that to last longer!

*Edit....."Sangria" may be misleading, because that fruity part is just one part of the scent. But I wanted to say, it's not a bright and fruity blend at all, the fruity part is more deep, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

She keeps close to the skin, slinking through the dark almost undetected, but if you listen closely you can hear her purring, dark and low. She is not sweet at all until you get to know her and then she emits a dark musky sweetness, very feline.

It's more than possible I need a backup of this one. She's breath-taking but not in an obvious way.

o_O My nose must be broken, because in the imp this smells EXACTLY like Dots gummi candies. You know, that sticky, sugary, slightly starchy fruit scent that wafts up from a freshly-opened box. I can't bring myself to skin-test it.

Edit: Never underestimate the BPAL. Tried this one over the weekend and while it went on fruity-sweet, there's something underneath that stops it from being unapologetically candy. I went to do something else and forgot about it for an hour, and then caught a waft of something and thought "Oh, wow, what is that delicious smell?" Yup, 'twas the Panther. Slinky, velvety anise-vanilla-musk buoyed by sweet orange tea and fruit gums. It's not "me" enough to need a whole bottle, but I may track down another decant.

Edited by GhillieDhu

Other people are getting dark musk and vanilla, but with me, vetiver reached out it's big ugly paw an- *POW* Hey, that hurt! :angry: I was just- *POW* POW!* :ack:

Damn vetiver.

*scuttles off at top speed*

Wow, this smells just like the namesake. Black panther on black velvet. Dark, Dark, DARK. My tastes tend towards the light and flowery so this is well out of my comfort zone. It morphs quite a bit and once the dark assault passed I was able to get close and enjoy the different layers. A very complex scent starting out like a black hole (now there is a scent idea, the smell that draws all other smells into it's orbit, never to be seen again--but I digress) and then reveals a complex blend of fruit and musk.

By far, my favourite of the velvet paintings series. This is just wonderful. There is an initial blast of vetiver and anise, but unlike Velvet Tiger, it's smoother and more sophisticated. Velvet Tiger was more abrupt, whereas Velvet Panther is a little more slinky and charming. After the initial vetiver/anise combo, the other notes really start to shine here, blending in such a way that I only get hints of them individually, and the sum is just perfection. Dark, the musk and vanilla simultaneously add sweetness and depth to the vetiver and anise. The woods add a smoothness, the overall effect is dark, sultry and a little slinky. Predatory in a way that seems totally innocuous, until it's too late.

Ok, so this update is surprising me. The ones I thought I would love have been "ok" or not at all for me, but the ones I thought would be so-so I'm loving!

When I first put it on I did so lightly since I wasn't sure about it. It smelled like a dark vanilla powder scent. Very nice and not at all what I was expecting.

So I put some more on and now it's very different. The woods came out more and it's not as soft smelling. The vetiver is no where near as strong as I expected and the mandarin in non-existant. This is dark and very smooth and definitely lives up to it's name.

I really like this one. It's (imo) very uinisex and I can't wait to try it on dh.

Velvet Panther is a dark sweet incense on me, which would be good, except for the fact that it is a bit too masculine for my tastes. A cologne-like smell keeps poking out here and there and I keep getting a wood too. The blend suits the name very well, though, a slinky, dark scent. Though I like this, I don't "love" it, and probably wouldn't reach for it too often. I think the Panther is better suited to cooler months, much too heavy for spring/summer.

Velvet Panther was the velvet I was most excited about. I love all of the notes in it, except for the dark musk and the sometimes-iffy mandarin.

In the bottle, this smells sweet & dark. I think that I can pick out a vanilla, sweet citrus, and some incensey, resinous qualities.

On my skin at first, Velvet Panther sort of smells like a soft, sexy orange creamsicle. I get a creamy vanilla, sweet orange, and muskiness. As it dries down, it smells very different, though. It loses its sweetness after a few minutes, and starts to go powdery. It smells like baby powder, a hint of earthy herbs, a hint of sharp citrus, and a good dose of perfumey musk.

Over time, Velvet Panther smells more and more like pure baby powder on me. :(

I'll keep my bottle and hope that this is less powdery with age. I'm not even sure what note(s) in this could be going powdery at the moment. Boo...

Agreed on this! I very much got the anise and the woods on the beginning, but now it's just a very close to the skin smelling sort of thing. It's got this sweet dark incense thing going on, but you have to stand there and huff.

Very unexpected.