Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
topaz

Velvet Pink Kitty

Pink rock candy, strawberry cream, and splashes of gin, vermouth, and grenadine.

Sniffed: Sweet, creamy, and - but not as boozy as I expected, nor as sweet. The strawberry smells natural, not fake, and seems to merge with the grenadine. There's a sugary note that's quite light. More vermouth than gin, though both are a little herbal.

Wet: More boozy-herbal, and the gin especially is stronger, junipery. Tarter fruit, and overall this is much less sweet. It's really not that sweet generally. The grenadine is stronger and smells almost limey to me. Still nicely creamy, in a delicious, almost foody, vanillic way.

Dry: The gin is strong especially in close proximity, but from a distance this is all vanilla cream and sweet-tart red fruit. The strawberry isn't going plastic on me, and I definitely get lime. The sugar level is just right; pleasantly sweet but not cloying. This reminds me a lot of Deck's 'Innocent' fragrance, actually.

Summary: After an hour, it's mostly sort of musky, herbal vermouth-tinged, junipery gin - again, this is close up. A few inches away, I get wafts of lovely lime, sweet red berries, and rich vanilla cream. The creaminess holds, too, which is rare with BPAL's cream note on my skin. Good throw, but fades rapidly.

I'm glad I got a bottle, but one will probably suffice. This is the first strawberry blend that has ever worked on me!

Imp: Boozy strawberry candy

Wet: Boozy strawberry candy

Drydown: The dreaded gin note! It just doesn't work on me. (I'm looking at you Blue Fire) It somehow goes chemical-y and ends up smelling similar to 409 cleaner. The fruity/sweet notes are going waxy/plasticky on me, like it did with Floating Brain.

Overall: I didn't have much faith in this one working because of the gin. Unfortunately, this is a no go for me.

This is an effervescent, strawberry cream soda kind of scent to me. I like the fizziness of this, it reminds me of gingerale and it's not too sweet either. Strawberry scents rarely work on me, they end up smelling like waxy lip balm. This, though is behaving, the alcohol/ginl note is keeping it in check perhaps? This would be great for a pool party, so fun and flirty, though I don't usually like these kind of blends, this is a nice first! A bottle is in store, for sure!

Damnit. I wanted the pink rock candy and strawberry cream. But noooooo - all I get is the sour gin and vermouth doing their best impression of hair spray and fly spray mixed together. And grenadine, where the hell are you? Such a bummer, I should have known by my past experience with champagne (hello, Stardust - I'm talking to you!) that this was never going to work.

Bad kitty. Put that martini glass down, go sleep off that stinky booze and come back when all you have is rock candy and strawberry cream.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

hmmmm....strawberry pop rocks. I like it. :)

Once it's drying down, it calms down a bit and isn't quite so strawberry sweet. It's still sugary though and also not as boozy as I expected (yay! I like rum, but gin is iffy). It reminds me just a bit of Sticky Pillowcase, but not so sweet and heavy. It's much lighter (not so much in throw, but in scent) and not so cloying. I didn't expect to like this since I don't really like the candy scents like Candy Phoenix, SP, etc (my girls do though LOL), but I really like it a lot. This is all mine! :)

It's just such a fun scent. Candy-like, but wearable, and very fun. I think this would be great for summer when I want something more playful than my heavier, muskier scents.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Velvet Pink Kitty - I don't think BPAL has a boozy, gin scent that I don't love. This fragrance is definitely boozy and heavy on the juniper gin scent. It's slightly fizzy, and very strawberry-sweet. It reminds me a lot of what you might get if you layered Velvet Unicorn with Twenty-One. I love this scent. It's a happy, party scent and it definitely has an above-average wear-length.

As much as love gin in a glass with tonic and lime, I'm learning that I just don't love it in BPAL blends. In the bottle, this smells sweet and boozy, like the perfect pink girly drink with a paper umbrella. Unfortunately, on my skin, the gin note immediately turns sharp and bitter, and it stays that way for a couple of hours. The eventual drydown is sweet and fruity, a little creamy, and I do like it, but am not willing to wait out the gin phase to get to it.

I will say, Pink Kitty has much better throw and staying power than Velvet Unicorn, which I love but found rather faint. If you like the way this smells on your skin, I think you'll be pleased with its duration. I just couldn't love the initial smell, so my kitty is bound for swapsville.

I was hoping this scent would be more candy, strawberry, and grenadine than gin - but no such luck on my skin. It's definitely got a sweet element to it.. but it turns out to be mostly gin on me. It's nice, but strongly boozy scents just don't work well for me.

Velvet Pink Kitty

In the bottle - gin and strawberry candy. On my skin, helloooo juniper! Two minutes later, I feel like I have a big cloud of pinkness floating around me, even though close up, it's still supergin. An hour in, it's powdery-sweet (not like powder, but like powdery candy--Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip powder) over gin. I wasn't sure this would work for me--the gin was a little overpowering for a bit there--but now I'm really diggin' it.

I've reaaaally never been a big fan of boozy scents, but I had to try Velvet Pink kitty.

Upon first sniff in the bottle, I get sweet strawberry and gin, but I actually like it. The booze kills some of the potential sugary sweetness that would make this cloying.

As it dries, more booze and strawberries and cream. It is a lot like Swank.

Mmm... but not quite. There's more of a fruity bite to Pink Kitty, and that might be what makes me keep the bottle.

I would say the jury is still out on this one. There's something tantalizing about it that keeps me sniffing at my wrist, but I can't say it's BPAL love just yet.

eta: husband says it reminds him of urinal cakes (the same thing he said about Swank). I've never had the joy of sniffing one of THOSE, but I don't want to affiliated with them :(

Edited by iiinterstate

Another decant acquired on the basis of one note: grenadine. I could write an ode to grenadine. I love me a good tequila sunrise. But let's smell this.

In the imp, I get tart fruit, much more tart than in Unicorn, the sharpness of the gin, and the tang of fizz. Yes, fizz has a smell, this reminds me of a fizzy soda pop incense I had. On me, it's like gin having an all out battle with a Shirley Temple. I think the gin is winning, though. It's interesting, but I don't think it's a scent I'd wear. I'm not a big evergreen fan, and the juniper from the gin is the note on top here.

I know everyone else thinks that kitty is boozy but to me in the bottle its junipera (soft not sharp) and strawberry very strong sweetie strawberry!

When its on it is slightly boozy but still strong stawberry!

Once dry I get strawberry candy lollypops mostly, grenadine and a waft of juniper maybe?

A few hours later iall that remains is grenadine soft syrupy sweet!

I love this one its the only bpal with strawberry in I've tried where the strawberry doesn't go belachy chemical nasty!

This is exactly how it's smelling to me too. On me, the boozy smell isn't coming through, but the strawberries, cream and rock candy comes right through loud and clear! This may sound crazy, but I'm getting a really strong Nestle's Strawberry Quick vibe from it, which I really love. I tried some of this on yesterday when I was out with a friend who had a bottle of it. By the end of the day, when I got home, I immediately came here and ordered a bottle of it. It's the perfect summer scent!

I have to say that this one smells like I wanted Bon Vivant to smell like. It's got that sweet strawberry (not too sweet or overwhelming) and a nice boozy gin. On wet, I get more of the sugar and the gin. As it dries, I get more of the strawberry, which again, has the tiniest plastic edge.

This is a very fun blend.

I didn't get any juniper at all from this one, actually, and I'm really thrilled about that! The gin/vermouth basically smells like the champagne note in the Christmas '08 Champagne &... scents (not so much the Bon Vivant champagne, which I find totally different). It's like super-fruity, slightly sour champagne on me. It's actually what I was really hoping Bon Vivant and Swank would smell like. I need to grab a bottle of this when my funds refill from the Strawberry Moon update :)

Wet - WAAGH booze! I smell like I should be at an AA meeting.

Drydown - Whew, booze has gone! This smells like Schrodinger's Cat's younger sister, prancing about in pink glitter. Sweet and citrusy and light, but sweet. This may be worth a bottle.

In the bottle: Sweet, strawberry candy. As I said in my Velvet Unicorn review, I :heart: strawberry, although this one has just a little bit of a kick to it.

On, fresh: WHOA HELLO JUNIPER.

Seriously, it's like I've stuck my face into the juniper bush in our front yard, only without the painful scratches and bleeding that would result were I actually to do that. There is, however, a faint undertone of strawberry sweetness.

The cats sniff curiously once or twice, then walk away.

After fifteen minutes: Woo, this has really picked up! It's lively, sweet, refreshing, effervescent...

No, this isn't a soft drink commercial, but... well, you know how they're making flavoured liquors now? This is like they took some strawberry flavoured gin, mixed it with club soda, and served it to you over ice in a tall, sugar-rimmed glass. Effervescent carbonated goodness bubbling up my nose...

:wub2:

After an hour: Still going strong, although the juniper has stepped back a little and allowed the strawberry sugar part to take over the lead.

Verdict: Since they aren't making strawberry flavoured gin yet (I've only seen orange so far), I'll have to settle for a drink made with my beloved Stoli Strasberi instead, as this scent has made me thirsty for the aforementioned beverage.

Look, it purrs and twirls around my ankles! I love, love, :love!: this bright, lively kitty cat.

Velvet Pink Kitty is definitely related to Velvet Unicorn. It's less sweet and slightly boozy. If you took a double shot of gin, added half a bottle of apple and raspberry J20, and topped it up in a pint glass with tonic water, you'd get a drink I'd really like something rather close to this!

Definitely one to try again - not sure if it's bottle-worthy, but it is fun!

I feel like the fact that I haven't reviewed this scent yet is something of a crime, considering how fast I'm going through my precious decant.

I find the scent to be very versatile-- the boozy notes are very subtle, and can be mistaken for ozone and aquatic kind of feeling. It's light, fresh, sweet and fruity, and wonderful for summer. But it's also slightly sexy and naughty. It very much gives me the sense of sea spray, even though I know that's not a note. I'd been concerned that the rock candy would render it too sweet, but that's not the case at all. It's just sweet enough, just cool enough, and if I can get my hands on more of it, I'll be coated with it all summer long.

In the imp: creamy strawberry and bitter vermouth

Wet: boozy strawberry cream. wow. I could get a buzz off the fumes!

Dry: citrus strawberry cream

After all the reading that it's like Floating Brain, I'm really happy that this isn't what I got. There wasn't a whole lot of morph going on with this one. From start to finish, it was the same.

Add me to the "this is allllll booze on me" camp. Once it dries, there isn't a sign of strawberry or candy or anything like that. It's just booze, which by itself on me sort of smells like a metallic generic floral. The only booze that seems to work on me is sake. Ah well.

In the imp: Boozy candy, yum!

Wet on skin: Well, the booze is gone, which is strange since I generally amp any wine or other alcoholic notes. I'm not getting any strawberry ( :cry2: ) but the candy scent is pleasantly tart and powdery.

Dry on skin: On me, this is a light, lovely summer scent. It's nice but similar enough to Candy Phoenix (of which I have plenty) that I won't need a bottle.

In the bottle: Pink! Strawberries and gin!

Wet: The pink sugar note really jumps out, as though it were sprinkled over fresh strawberries. And there's a slight hint of the juniper.

The dry-down: And now here comes the syrup of the grenadine, but only slightly. A touch of vermouth, too.

What this all reminds me of is those pink cocktails I used to drink, back in the day: Planter's Punch, Sloe Gin Fizz, and Singapore Sling. They didn't really smell like this, but they should have. :twisted:

Later: A lovely strawberry scent, with some boozy notes underneath.

I think that this is in the same scent family as Velvet Unicorn, Strawberry Moon 09, and Bon Vivant. Also, Pink Phoenix and Candy Phoenix. And of course, the Tikis, for the boozy notes. Plastic Pink Flamingo will probably be in the family, too.

I'm just thrilled that Beth has a strawberry note that works on me and doesn't turn plastic. This is a very yummy scent. And it has a cooling effect on my wrist--I like that!

VelvetPinkKittySS.jpg

I find this blend reminiscent to the Lab's GC blend 'Swank.' Maybe the Kitty is a bit sweeter, but there is definitely a similarity, to my nose at least, in the sweet fruit + alchohol scent. On the dry down, a creamy note seems to surface in Pink Kitty that isn't present in Swank, though, and it's not a note I particularly care for. I think this is a nice-enough blend once in a while, but it's not one I'm going out hunting for, unlike Velvet Bandito. 1 star out of 5.

Pink Kitty smells, to me, like boozy sticky sweet candy. Strawberry flavored candy. It doesn't smell like gin so much as it does like... well, like making out with someone who's been drinking. Ahem. That may sound kind of horrifying, but I like it.

It goes on strong and STAYS THAT WAY. I could still smell it the next day, and even a little bit the day after that. It stays pretty true the whole time; sugar and fruit and a liiiiitle alcoholic. I keep wanting to wear it again but it's so strong I keep putting it off. I think I'd like this best as a shampoo or body wash fragrance rather than as a perfume.

3.5/5 stars, here.