Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
femmefatale

Yorick

Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

I get freshly turned soil and spice. I got a strong soil scent right away, but then it stepped aside to let the spice note emerge. Weirdly enough the spice note then stepped aside to let the soil note have a last standing ovation. I think this is a wearable dirt scent. It would make a great atmospheric spray too :)

actually quite pretty- slightly spicy, pale brown type scent, very me. it's dirty, as in dirt like, but not muddy the way that some of the dirt blends have gone on my skin. it reminds me faintly of root beer (which i like). it reminds me of laudanum without the scent memories that blend gave me.

Sweet & spicy dirt is definitely a good description of this scent. I'm never one for dirt blends, but I actually don't mind this one that much. Not sure it's worth keeping the imp, though I find myself curiously re-sniffing my hand every few minutes.

Edited by angelicruin

In the Bottle

Very murky mud and something sharp...

On Skin: Wet

I really don't know what this sharp note is in this, but it's kind of jarring... That being said, it is freshly turned, damp, potting soil with old wood.

On Skin: Dry

Pretty much the same, but the sharpness is starting to drift away (but by no means is it fully disappearing). It's now becoming a little more spicy, somehow.

Afternotes

The same as the drydown period. It's nice, but nothing to write home about.

Verdict

On an American scholastic grading scale, I'd give this a C+.

It's nice and I enjoyed it (because I do love me some dirt notes), the sharpness of it, coupled with the fact that it fades so fast on me, makes it teeter on the edge of "Somewhat immemorable, but I kind of like it" to "I like it, but I can live without a bottle or tester of this".

So, a C+ it shall be, and remain.

Yum. Awesome sweet dirt. This is the refined and drier version of Penny Dreadful! It starts out very moist and sweet, with linen and angel's trumpet underneath. Then blossoms into this amazing fresh-dirt-on-late-spring-morning wonderfulness. I don't use this often, but :joy: . Seriously. This smells like my walks through Victorian picnic-park graveyards with wonderful plant subspecies that I never knew existed. :wub2:

I love this scent! It's the dirt without soap, without florals, without anything to mess it up ~ah~ and it's Wonderful.

A fellow of infinite dirt, of most excellent drydown.

I don't even know why I bothered to try this. Soil notes amp so much on me -- way past the borderline of enjoyability. This was just bleah dirt for two hours, and then BEHOLD! A pretty, lightly spicy, ghostly earthy scent. I don't know where the hell that came from, because I assumed I would just continue to smell like sweet black dirt until I washed my wrist. I like it after a couple of hours, but no way I'm living through that dirt nightmare just to get to the good part.

Edited by filigree_shadow

First Sniff: Something heavy and earthy.

Wet: The word ‘loamy’ comes to mind. It’s rich and very much a wet mud sort of smell.

Dry: As it dried it became the dry dust of death and old bones. Once it dried completely there was a hint of some type of spice which I wouldn’t necessarily associate with death or graves or Shakespeare. It gave it an interesting note though.

My Reaction: The color in the imp after it had been lying on its side for awhile really did remind me of Hamlet’s famous soliloquy to Yorick: a pale yellow with a single drop of dark amber which swirled like mist throughout it. I don’t think I’ve tried a ‘dirt’ scent before so this was interesting in that respect. However, it faded quickly and I don’t think I want to smell like an old grave.

Rating 1-5: 2.5

BPAL dirt is the best! The oil in this imp was light yellow with a nasty green sludge at the bottom (real mud?) At first, it smelled exactly like Graveyard Dirt, but when I rolled the imp to distribute the "mud", it opened up a freshly dug dirt smell with sweet floral. There's some amber and warm spices as a base, because I'm getting a lovely resin scent on my skin as it dries. This isn't something I'd get a bottle of, but I'll keep the imp next to Zombi for whenever I need my dirt fix.

Oooh, I knew Yorick was going to be a winner! I wish it were stronger but Graveyard Dirt was also fleeting. This is quite a bit like Penny Dreadful but without the super strong perfume note. PD was a winner on me except for the perfume. This might work better. I'll see if I use my imp up and need a bottle.

Smells awesome - could have sworn there was something pepper-corn'ish in there, but I may be wrong.

I also get something like wood - this oil fascinates me, and if I ever get a toolshed, I will paint that with this, just to help it on the way towards the perfect smell.

...That sounds like an insult to poor Yorick - it is anything but!

Dark soil and peppery vetiver.

Out of the bottle, this oil is fairly strong on my skin and then fades back pretty quickly into a pleasantly murky, moldy dirt with a touch of sweetness.

I really like the black peppery note in Yorick. It really is evocative of dry bones and grave dirt. I'm so glad I had the chance to try it!

In the imp: Dirt, and something kind of musty or maybe dusty?

On skin, wet: Same as in the imp.

On skin, dry: Oh my god, I know what this smells like now! Geraniums! Potted geraniums. The dirt, the musty smell of the leaves, all of it.

After an hour: Still mostly that potted-geranium smell. There's a hint of something softer underneath, but mostly it's very strong and very dirty/musty. It's interesting, but not something I would wear.

So this is surprisingly awesome?

Wet: Reminds me of a pickle. Sounds completely unsexy, I know, but it's like a faint, woodsy pickle, not in your face. Not foody or off-putting.

Drying: BPAL has a wonderfully realistic wet dirt smell. It doesn't smell gross, just truly like rich, loamy goodness. There's something mixed in that smells lightly sweet and musky, almost like a commercial perfume but not as overpowering. Makes me think of a woman sitting on top of a freshly dug grave. Weird and mysterious yet alluring!

Dry: There's a "bone"/slightly dry note on the tail end of every sniff, but it's still not funky. Yorick is surprisingly wearable and enticing. I can understand how people get potted flowers from this, but I think the musky floral gives it too much of a human touch for me to consider it full on plant. There's a hint of soapiness as well, but not so much synthetic as freshed scrubbed skin.

Verdict: Not bad at all! It's doesn't suit my personal preferences (I don't do florals), but the notes work together and ground this beautifully (no pun intended).

Edited by Balame

In the Imp (ITI): Yep, that smells like damp, moldering cloth left abandoned in a forest.

Wet: Molding cloth, damp forest, a little fungus, and rich soil, freshly dug. This is so spot on for the scent's name.

Dry: Oddly enough, it gets a bit floral once dried, although the impression of fungus, moldering cloth, and dirt remain.

On my skin wet: Freshly dug up beets! Get your fresh beets here! Wait it morphed into mildew.

Drying: There is a very faint something underneath the dirt. I can't make out if it's a floral or a cologne the dirt is overpowering everything else.

Dry: Still dirt. Just dirt and nothing else.

Imp: Dust, dry gravedirt, mushrooms, moss and a sweet white floral. Quite nice! I have mixed feelings about dirt blends but I like this one so far.

Wet: Lots of sweet papery white floral backed by dirt and maybe something a little fruity. Predominantly floral rather than earthy at the moment, especially in the throw. The overall combination is like femme soap and gardening at the same time. I still get fungus a bit too. A very clean mushroom farmer! :lol:

Dry: Sandalwood and flower soap and mushrooms. Not, um, exactly what I expected, but pretty.

In the bottle - Moss and loam, like a crumbling grave stone

Wet on me - Damp green moss, but with something sweet beneath

Dry on me - A soft, warm, green herbal

Overall - I prefer the dry down to the wet stages, but on the whole it doesn't really grab me

In the imp: I get mostly dry leaves, hinting at some light floral notes hiding in the background. There is a hint of crisp almost fruit note, like not quite ripe sour bite many fruits have.

Wet on my skin: Dirty dirty dirt.

Drydown: Musty old dirt, though it seems odd to call dirt old.

Dry: Dirty dried leaves, with another hint of floral notes. Only these note allude less to crisp sour fruit and more to an old woman's perfume. The light crisp scent in the imp has become heavy and almost powdery.

In conclusion it is not really a scent I want to revisit. Had it stayed more like the scent in the imp it would become a favorite but my chemistry would not let that be.

In the imp: Eurgh. I get mildew, or a moldy orange.

Wet on my skin & Drydown: Wood, and dirt, and spice. Sweet. Reminds me of playing in the garden in the summer.

Dry: Wood, anise, and a pale pale hint of dirt.

This is going on my wish list. Had to buy a bottle. I would never have thought that from the first whiff of the imp!

Edited again to add: Yorick has light throw. I didn't wear it at all this winter, but now that it's spring I'm reaching for it again.

Edited by Teamama

Tested this last night. My first sniff on skin, I thought "Yeah! I can wear this!" Obviously, that's hasty, so I stayed with it through the evening to see if it morphed, but it didn't really. Not necessarily a great love, but a scent that was instantly comfortable and comforting to me, and nostalgic for something I can't put my finger on. I never would have tried this based on the description, but I really like it. My home computer is down, so I was testing without recourse to the internet, and I would have told you Yorick smelled of a subdued rose, a light musk, and dirt. One out of three ain't bad? I guess my sniffer is off, but I like the scent.

I love Bpal dirt. I am so happy to be trying this at last.

Wet: ommfffg. Is that dirt and cinnamon!!??? Why is this so gloriously spicy???

I had to look up Angel's trumpet, and reportedly it smells like a mix of cinnamon and jasmine. I can see that.

Dry: This is mostly dirt. Which I am totally fine with. There are faints hints of sweetness and spice. I love this an need a bottle. I wear dirt scents to bed. :biggrin:

Yorick Imp

Wet/Bottle - Floral? Possibly from the Angels Trumpet. The dirt is definitely an afterthought, which is too bad. Dirt and Bone are two of my favorite notes ever, so I was hoping they'd stand out a bit more.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - More floral, almost soapy. Nonononono, please die down a little. The dirt is all but gone, and no trace of bone. I want to like this so badly!

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Less soapy, but still too floral for me. There is no dirt or bone to this on my skin, and that's a bit disappointing. Damn you, skin chemistry!

I'll use up my imp, but don't plan on obtaining a bottle.

This is one of the most confusing blends I've ever tried...and I kind of like it. At times it's like dirt/soil, then there's a hint of heavy florals and when I sniff deep I actually get something that reminds me of a spicy artisan cola. I think this would smell great on my fiance.