Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
femmefatale

Yorick

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now?

Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

Hmmmm.....this is nice. I definitely get the grave dirt (more like soil) with a somewhat sweet tropical flower scent. There also seems to be a very light spice, but I have no idea where that's coming from. I'll have to try it again to see if I'm crazy or not. :lol:
I was expecting something much darker smelling, but I love this just the way it is. It really is beautiful and very wearable. I can see this being in heavy rotation this spring & summer. I am so happy I sprung for the bottle!

:wub2: Edited by Femme_Fatale

In the bottle: dirty dirt dirt. A very "freshly dug soil" smell, without the heady smell of living things and roots you get in topsoil.

Wet: dusty earth, with an undercurrent of a very distant floral. A lot lighter than I expected, but with a somewhat "dusty" throw.

Dry: the floral fades, leaving just the dry earth smell.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this bottle, but the scent is really pleasant if you like the smell of freshly dug holes. I'm very strongly reminded of digging holes and making forts in the woods near my house as a kid in the summer. It is fairly light - we're not digging in topsoil here - but lasting on my skin. I'm definitely glad I picked up a bottle.

Ah dirt. Freshly dug dirt, to be specific.

Wet on the skin, still Beth's awesome dirt, but with something fragile underneath. As it dries, this becomes more loamy, mixing with the decaying flowers of the grave.

Dry, this becomes nothing like its beginning. Just a residual dustiness, as if the dirt has transformed into...something sweet. Amber? Yes, that's it, amber. Just a little powdery, as if the bones and angel's trumpet have melded into a wonderful, soft amber. Stays close to the skin.

A beautiful transformation and a wonderful representation of death as a door to another realm. If you have been afraid of dirt scents, get an imp. You may be pleasantly surprised.

In the vial, this smells like potting soil and something sweet.

On my skin, it's not a black potting soil smell, but a rich, freshly dug dirt. It doesn't smell terribly dusty or dry on me, but the earth is less damp earth and more dry earth, if that makes sense. As this dries down, I might smell a hint of sweet, tropical floral, but mostly it keeps making me think of earth and gingerbread cookies. Something about it is just spicy and warm on my skin.

Yorick smells like a frosted gingerbread cookie, trampled thoroughly into brown soil (with some crunchy, dry leaves), with a tropical flower thrown on top to mark its grave. After a half hour, the spice is more like a sharp cinnamon. It sort of stings my nose when I smell it.

This isn't awful, but I think that it's going into my swap pile. The floral and sharp spice aspects of this start to smell sour and off to me after a while.

Edited by Little Bird

The morph this one performs is astounding. It opens up as wet, rich dirt (oh that BPAL dirt! I do love it) that gradually becomes a completely different creature--drier, maybe a hint of tangy sandalwood? A breath of dried flowers? It reminds me just a teeeeeny bit of Darkness. No trace of the dirt is left. It's not something I'd wear but fascinating to smell how this one develops and changes.

Alas, Yorick. You smell like lilies, dirt and spilled cola. There's something sharp in this blend that I do not enjoy.

In bottle: Wow, they aren’t kidding. Dry dirt, moldering fabric, nitre…. It’s intense. Wet: The mildewy, moldering smell is… off putting. It’s maybe a little too realistic. Dry: Oddly attractive, mostly earth with something organic that is strangely sexy.

LOVE!

This is one of those scents that I wouldnt wear so much to be "attractive" as to be withdrawn and evoke a feeling.

The description is exactly what this is. So much so, that theres no point even in reviewing it.

I need a bottle of this.

This is a great one on me. Works a lot better than Graveyard Dirt alone. Very grassy and slightly cologne-y, rich and loamy too. I get a hint of the coca-cola smell, but I don't mind it since it throws in a nice sweet element. Though I get strong Graveyard Dirt out of the imp, it really blossoms once on the skin.

Alas poor Yorick, you smell like composted soil.

This is absolutely dead-on in both description and intent, and a very smooth blend, but I can't be wearing it - just not my thing.

New dirt scent! I needed no incentive other than this to give it a try. All the more credit for it being a Shakespearean dirt scent.

In the imp: Dark spicy dirt.

Wet on skin: Rich black soil, with just enough decaying matter to smell like it would be very fertile for new plants. It's also still a bit spicy.

Drydown: Freshly dry, it's still rich dark soil, though it smells dustier now than it did when wet. I still can't quite figure out what the spicy note back there is; it's not dominant, but it's present enough to make me curious. At one hour in, it's pretty much the same as freshly dry.

Five hours later: Softer, but still a slightly sweet-spicy rich soil.

End of the day: My wrists smell slightly dusty-dirty, but only if I sniff really hard.

Overall: I kind of love this. It's different from the other BPAL dirt scents to me, in how rich and dark and moist it is. I like the slightly spicy edge to it, and I like how the main dirt note doesn't fade immediately on me as it does in some other scents. I kept sniffing my wrist happily all day. Absolutely a keeper, probably even one to upgrade.

Wet there is a distinct scent of fungus and decay a la Graveyard Dirt. This fades as the scent dries, whereas GD retained that scent throughout it's wear-time. As Yorick dries, this goes a little powdery on me, the bone and dust notes becoming more prevalent. It softens a little and becomes a little sweeter. There is a hint of something spicy in the background, which is calling to mind Penny Dreadful. I like it, but for my dirt scents I'm more drawn to Penny.

imp: lush, loamy soil. this smells more wet than dry to me.

wet: something spicy mixed with the dirt. this reminds me of a wetter, less spicy version of penny dreadful. i will be getting a bottle of this.

dry: as this dries, the scent itself smells drier. spectacular. this dirt scent is sweeter than zombi and richer than graveyard dirt.

(edited for spelling idiocy)

Edited by hkhm

Out of the imp: This is mushrooms! Straight-up mushrooms!

On skin: Dirt. Exactly damp dirt with bits of bone-chips in it.

Drydown- Flowers come out. Something lily-like I assume is Angel's Trumpet. But the flowers play nice- they're not loud and shrieking. And there's some lovely, lovely spice mixed in.

I suppose this could smell a little sour on certain people, but it's not on me.

The only thing that makes me sad about this is that it becomes very faint. I have to sniff my wrists. Which is good- who wants to amp dirt? But this is so lovely, cool and damp I hope it doesn't just disappear.

Dirt. And then mold. Seriously. Mold. The mold takes over fast and does not let go. Imma pass on this.

I was a little less than impressed when I first got this -- nice scent, but no throw and no longevity, just a mild pleasant dry-potting-soil smell. That was in June. I grabbed it this morning to see how it was doing, and the changes are pretty remarkable.

It's still got the dry loamy smell, coming out clearly on the colder parts of my skin, but on the warmer spots it's really quite spicy. No florals that I can smell, just the unmistakable sweetness of vegetative decay, an unnameable spice -- something reminiscent of cassia, maybe, or allspice? -- and mushroomy, rich, dry brown soil. And best of all, it lasts. I've been wearing this for four hours and there has been essentially no change since the initial drydown. This is a winner for sure. Not quite Badger, but definitely the closest thing in the GC.

Imp: Sweet dirt. Straight up dirty dirt. Loam and clay and grit and, well, dirt. And a little angel's trumpet sweetness just adding to the overall WTF? factor.

Wet: Sweet dirt. I think I amp angel's trumpet accord because this is becoming very floral very quickly. There is still dirt. It's not unpleasant, just smells... dirty. Like I've been gardening and the scent has clung to me. There's a warm cinnamon-esque scent here as well. It reminds me a little of one of the floral notes in Sundew and Chuparosa.

Dry: Predominantly angel's trumpet with a little bit of the dirt note underneath. This really reminds me of Chuparosa and Sundew. I wonder if they have angel's trumpet in them or share an accord with angel's trumpet. It's a strange scent. Bursting with a lush, tropical floral but the dirt is entirely dry. I wonder if I would like this more if the dirt felt as steamy as the florals? As it is, it's a gritty, sort of strange but ultimately alluring scent. It smells like a heroine from a William Gibson novel. A bit of classical, feminine floral and then a whole butt ton of grit.

Throw: The throw is all angel's trumpet. Up close I can smell the dirt.

Overall: This is a weirdass scent. I like it but doubt that I'd ever wear it because I'd be too self conscious about smelling like dirt. It's an interesting scent though and I'm glad to have tried it. I will probably hang onto the imp just to smell how WEIRD it is.

Got this as a frimp.

In the bottle: DIRT! Smells like soil after a rain.

Wet: Dirt still, but with a sweetness. It kind of reminds me of compost, though not in a gross way... earthy with plant matter.

As it dries more, it becomes spicy-floral-sweet with the dirt fading into the background. But still, the main thing it makes me think of is COMPOST. I don't like it enough to buy a bottle, and I don't think I'd wear it out, but it is definitely interesting. :)

Edit: It turns out my girlfriend loves this one (she's partial to earthy scents). So, to her it goes! :D

Edited by sunlitgarden

This is quite bizarre - the first dirt scent I've tried and it definitely does smell like dirt out in my yard. It's really weird. It's interesting to sniff, but not something I would want to smell like.

Yorick - I don't like to wear dirt scents, but for a dirt scent, this one ain't too bad. It's definitely smells like dirt and mushrooms, but there's this weirdly awesome spicy sweetness that I can only imagine is cinnamon. It's so bizarre, yet it completely works. The floral is subtle, but also lends a hint of sweetness to the overall blend. I think it's the cinnamon + dirt that really makes this one really stand out to me. I don't tend to wear dirt scents, but I think this might be one I find myself drawn to on occasion because it's just really unique and pretty and it's a dirt scent that doesn't make me think of worms!

got this one as a frimp, and for some reason i've never even heard of it either. sniffing the imp it's definitely a "dirt floral" scent. it reminded me of a subtler zombi at first. it basically smells like dirt and something...woodlike? i'm not sure, but it's the bone/papery note bpal uses that turns weirdly off and sour on me, mixed with dirt and a slightly spicy green floral. glad i got to try this, even if it's not really "me".

Yorick is a less ginger-spicy, slightly drier version of Penny Dreadful on my skin. I actually like it a lot -- I love love love soil scents -- but it ends up fading to nothing in a very short span of time.