Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
moonstonemama

Velvet Nudie

Skin musk and flowering sugar cane.

Imp: Clean. If "clear" had a scent, this is it.
Wet: A clean scent, with a hint of tartness.
Drydown: It's beginning to smell like mandarin orange rind. It's very clean and crisp. Not what I expected. Then, it turned soapy (in a not so good way).
Overall: It's not something I normally wear.

Velvet Nudie is my second favorite of the Velvet scents (behind Velvet Bandito).

On first application, there is a note that reminds me of Estee Lauder's White Linen. I'm not sure what note is doing that, but it's definitely a floral, possibly a rose. As it dries down, whatever made it smell like White Linen fades away and what remains is very clean, slightly musky and a little citrusy. The scent lasts a long time, but stays close to the skin. A very nice spring and summer scent!

Velvet Nudie - When I first apply this, it smells clean and soapy. It's not bad, but it's certainly not what I expected. As it dries down, it loses the soap scent and is mostly a bland rice scent - neither floral nor sweet. It's kind of flat and "blah". It definitely doesn't work well with my skin. Too bad, because I hear it's gorgeous on some of my friends!

I don't really get any musk from this at all, and certainly no sugar cane. I get a strong, old-lady floral blast that lingers until I feel a little sick. There's something sour underneath the floral notes, like the flower arrangement you didn't really like in the first place has started to rot.

Yuck. Will swap as soon as possible.

Like everyone else has said, Velvet Nudie is subtle.

Weirdly, I SWEAR I am getting a hint of lemon. I have no idea why. At first I thought I was sniffing the wrong wrist (I have Hungry Ghost Moon on my other arm).

After about an hour, it's more or less the same, that is, vaguely musky with a hint of floral something. Kinda comes off a bit waxy.

I don't NOT like it, but I don't like it either. I'll hang onto it for a few days but if it stays the same Velvet Nudie is off to swaps.

This almost smells like a sexy lemon drop in the imp. On me...sexy lemon drop. What is giving it that tang, I wonder?

On dry down, I get a white musk vibe from it. You know, the purest, least carnal of the musks sort of musk. Even so, I find even that sort of musk slightly sexy, so we've still got sexy lemon drops. XD

I like it all right, and I'm glad I got this decant on a whim, but it's not bottle-level territory. I may keep the imp, though.

Since summer is just ahead, I decided to try out my decant.....

Wet on: Lemon!! With something kind of plasticy. I don't get musk anywhere.

Drying, the lemon fades, and what must be musk comes forward. That plasticy thing is still around. I've never smelled it in a bpal blend before so I can't tell what's causing it. At this stage, it's pretty, polite & a little lemony. But as time goes on, this becomes a second skin scent - no lemon or florals or sugar.

I'll definitely keep the decant for when I need a light skin scent, but I don't need a bottle.

This one is definitely clean musk, citrus and a light floral. It's like a better version of Dirty.

Pretty, polite, lemon scented.

I was wondering if this would be similar to Giant Vulva, and I have to say, I wasn't wrong. It's kind of half a Giant Vulva -- a demivulva, if you will -- same fresh citrusy sugar cane and soft skin musk, but none of that honeyed deepness that eventually drew me into the former blend, despite initial misgivings. Definitely a light skin scent. The florals hover demurely in the background and the citrusy edge disappears after a little while, leaving behind clean skin scented lightly with soft flowers. Nice, but I'll stick with my Vulva.

In the Vial: Weird, it really does smell lemony! But w/ a touch of floral somehow.

Wet: Lemon! (How bizarre, I wonder what smells like lemon to so many of us?) This is a lighter lemon, like the lemon you fished out of a glass of water at a restaurant-- faintly lemon, but undoubtedly lemon at the same time.

Drydown: Hm, something that I can't quite describe-- since it's not "sweet" I'll assume it isn't the sugar cane and so must be the skin musk. If so, I quite like it, and wish it were more noticeable instead of this tiresome lemony scent. Still smells very "clean;" what w/ the lemon and slight powdery feel to it.

Verdict: This is nice, but I don't see myself needing a bottle. If I stumble across a partial bottle, lovely. If not, no biggie, this decant will suffice.

I didn't expect to like VN.  I sniffed and lightly tested when I got my decant and thought it was kind of bland and unimpressive.

This morning I grabbed the decant as I ran out the door.  I'm not sure what she's been up to on her two week vacation, but VN has really 'developed'.  

As others have noted, there is a decided citrus vibe and clean musk.  I don't get any florals from it, which is a relief.  It's summery and light, not at all the dark, heavy, oppressive velvet I'd expect from a velvet blend.  Actually, unlike its namesake, VN is sophisticated, polite, demure and dare I say, tasteful.  :eek:

I'm contemplating a bottle because I could see wearing this often.  :wub:  In a way, it reminds me of Manhattan, Tushnamatay, Van Van and maybe a bit of Zephyr.

I don't get the lemons from it - a very light, sweet, almost furry vaguely floral scent.

I quite like it (it's sweet, clean, feminine and gentle), but I get virtually no throw from it at all, and I put on a decent amount...

In the bottle it smells a bit like Independent...sugary, effervescent champagne. And then on some of the bubbliness wears off and it's a light, gentle floral. I wore this out last night and got complemented on it! And for good reason ;).

In the bottle it smells like a "traditional" floral perfume. Does that make sense..? Like something you could pick up from a perfume counter at the mall? It's not so floral that it screams "old lady!" though, it's nice.

And, on my skin, both fresh going on and after a while, it stays about the same. I can definitely catch something sweet, like vanilla.. Not getting any lemon or citrus that others have caught, however. It's not quite what I was expecting, but it's nice. It's a pretty, light scent.. I can see myself wearing this on warm summer nights while hanging out with friends. Perhaps not reaching for it as often as my other summer night blends, but definitely something to hang on to.

A very clean scent. Clean without ozone. It almost has the smell of a shampoo but not one of those apple ones. Like an early 80s shampoo. Nice but not awesome on my skin. I think I imagined it differently and that's interfering with my judgment.

Edited by Mamacat

Wet in bottle - Skin musk and sugarcane blossom. Similar to Giant Vulva but without the lemon/beeswax smell.

Wet on skin - A light, floral skin musk. Very feminine. I am getting the tinge of soapiness that some reviewers have experienced but I am hoping it will settle when dryer.

Dry on skin - A very feminine, floral skin musk. It's not SEX like Giant Vulva is on me. I'm not sure if I will keep it, although I might let my roommate try as she likes more "girly" scents and this comes off as quite girly.

i don't know what sugarcane blossom really smells like, but to me, this smells like linden. skin musk, that not-quite-lemony tang, and a soft floral that has the same kind of low-pitched (?!) sweetness as linden. the longer it wears, the more the tang fades and the floral develops. as on everyone else, this is very soft. i don't think i need a bottle, but may well use up the decant on days i don't wanna be too perfumey.

Edited by veronicafranco

Wow, I didn't expect to like this at all, but I am pleasantly surprised! It's like a very faint lemon perfume. I don't smell much musk and really no sugar cane that I can place; just clean and lemony scented.

This one reminds me so much of Giant Vulva but less complex. If I didn't already have a bottle of Giant Vulva I would be getting this. I would almost say this smells of lemon curd and raw sugar cane floating in a bowl of skin musk with white flowers floating on top. :D

Okay, I may be crazy, but wet on my skin, this smells exactly like Johnson's Baby Shampoo! I'm sorry. It's not unpleasant, but on me, it's unmistakeable. By about the 10 minute mark, I get lemons. Sort of soapy, cleaning liquid lemons. Then it fades until by about the 20 minute mark (now), I get a faint hint of Johnson's again, and it's almost entirely gone.

How odd!

Normally, sugar cane doesn't work well on me; that's one of No1 Daughter's notes. But just about any variety of musk (absenting artificial '70s strawberry musk) works on me. So! Allons-y!

In the imp: Huh! Very pleasant laundry detergent! A little citrus-y. I get the reviewers who say this is a variant on Dirty.

Wet: More huh! Jasmine! No citrus. Whoops, jasmine hit is gone, replaced by the musk. The sugar cane flower (I had no idea they flowered) top note is sweet but not overpowering; it's a little honeysuckle-ish and probably where that jasmine-y hit came from. Wow. This is really nice.

Drydown: This smells like clean, pretty, naked girl right out of the shower. Maybe she used a body wash, I dunno. I really like this. Probable bottle.

i had high hopes for this, but a teeny voice in the back of my mind said "it might not work." unfortunately, this is the case. it smells like an amped-up pele (i love pele) but with a weird sour, cloying, "old lady" (sorry if you don't like that term, but this is it) scent to it. damn my skin chemistry to hell. :(

This is very faint on me - now I know what "skin scent" means. It's lemony and effervescent. In fact, it reminds me a bit of lemon-lime soda, but in a good way. I'll echo the other sentiments here that this is a clean scent. It's just a bit too faint for me. I'll probably use the imp during the summer on days where it's too hot to even comtemplate putting clothes on, let alone medium or heavy perfumes.

In the bottle: Uh oh, this smells like a muskier version of Dirty--a lemony skin scent. And Dirty did not like me.

Wet on skin: Ah, much better! Now the blend is a light, sugary musk with a dollop of lemon juice.

Dry on skin: This will be lovely in hot, humid weather. It dries down to a slightly sugary, clean-but-still-musky skin scent. And despite its lightness, it lasted for over 8 hours on my first skin test.

In vial: a very, very pretty, soft, lemony floral.

Wet on skin: the sugar cane is definitely flowering! Not too lemony now - more like one of the pale fruity-floral Lunacies, eg Kindly Moon or Lune Noire. It has the crispness of Lune Noire, and is barely sweet at all. Soft and delicate, with a strong green tea note.

Dry on skin: a soft muskiness emerges, again like the pale, fruity-floral Lunacies, which include some of my favourite scents, so I'm very happy about this!