Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
moonstonemama

Velvet Tiki

vellg-tiki.gif

VELVET TIKI

Gold-washed frangipani, vanilla flower, vanilla bean, coconut, hibiscus, papaya, pineapple, bouganvilla, passion fruit, and three orchids.

in the bottle: tangy fruity citrus with a bit of tropical florals

wet: much the same

dry: this is what the tropical island paradise of my dreams smells like. It actually smells sort of familiar for some reason. It's very floral, but I can definitely smell the passion fruit, I don't get any vanilla at all. It's not very strong and doesn't have much throw, but I don't think it's fading much.

Edited by MoonstoneMama

This delicious! :yum: Passionfruit, coconut, vanilla...all I need is some rum and a little pineapple in a drink and I would be in heaven. :angel: I love this...I can't wait to see how it ages.

This is summer in a bottle. It is absolutely GORGEOUS. I can smell the fruits and flowers (which don't go soapy...yay!) and a hint of coconut and vanilla adding just a touch of sweetness. It's exotic and sexy in a fun, flirty sort of way.

This is perfect. It would make an equally great daytime or nightime scent.

I love it. :wub2:

*And for those of you who are afraid of smelling like a frozen drink, have no fear, this is the island you vacation on where you would order said yummy beverages.

ETA: I think the orchids might be going odd on me. I'm getting a dusty note. hmmm....will try again.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

I usually give my oils a week or so to rest after their harrowing trip through the USPS, but I'm too excited about the Velvets to wait this time.

Velvet Tiki may benefit from another week of rest, though. I really did not like it when I first applied it to my wrist and I'm just starting to enjoy it now that it's been on me for a couple of hours. The tropical fruits and flowers are beginning to peek through that throat-burning hairspray smell which first assaulted me. My hopes are high for this one based on the above reviews. I want this to the be the Tiki scent that I hoped last year's Tikis would be. I'll be back in a few days.

Added 4/17/09: Oh yeah. This baby just needed a week to recover from its cross-country trip. Now it's all glorious tropical blooms and fruit. Can't stop huffing my wrist long enough to place a 2nd order...

Edited by MelanieSuzanne

Sniffing the bottle, it's kind of head rush of tropical fruit for me. I can smell the pineapple, but I really have to concentrate. It's difficult for me to pick out individual notes just sniffing the contents from the bottle.

Wet on my skin, it's very much spicy citrus and floral.

As it dries, I smell the vanilla flower...not as spicy, but still tropical fruit and light floral.

I like the blend...I'm just not sure it will be something I reach for often.

The oil is fully dry on my skin now and this has turned into strictly passion fruit and vanilla floral on my skin. I'm loving it much better completely dry on my skin. :)

For those looking for a strong pineapple note, that sadly did not happen on my skin...

bottle: odd. this has that bizarre scent that pineapple seems to give. it smells strangely fruity but that usually vanishes as soon as i apply it.

wet: this is tropical fruit salad on my skin. drizzled with something sweet and garnished with flowers. the coconut is particularly lovely in this blend.

dry: this dries beautifully, probably my favorite velvet thus far. it's muted fruit and florals with an incredible creaminess underneath.

Tropical yet exotic. Where Fruit Moon is a bevy of tropical fruits, Velvet Tiki is a soft medley of flowers and a whisper of fruits. Tiki Queen DEMANDS to be noticed but Velvet Tiki is more, well, velvety. Soft, sophisticated. A womanly exotic blend like you'd buy in an exclusive boutique on a tropical vacation because it embodies the spirit of your time there.

Pretty florals and tropical fruit.

It's as if Beth took all the best associations from last year's Tiki blends and distilled them into one perfect gorgeousness.

Where's my sarong?

Ohhhh, Cabana Boy, I need you.....

This actually seems to trigger some nostalgic scent-memory from a time before I was born. Impressions I get from watching old movies. The 30's sexy glamor with perfectly coiffed hair and trim red nail polish.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

oh dear, the pineapple is very prominent at first...reminds of milk moon, the version that smelled like pina colada...

thankfully the pineapple backs down after a bit, and the coconut comes out. i love coconut, so this a relief. the flowers also come out a bit later....and at this point, things feel more balanced. the orchids are a bit drowned out by the pineapple, papaya, and other fruits...but the longer this wears, the flowers do blossom out a bit more, as does the vanilla. this takes a while to develop and round itself out. i agree that this is very tropical and feminine, like a fruity drink with flowers wafting in the breeze... a fun scent that'll be nice for summer evenings...

This ones goes on vanilla orchid, tropical pink blossom with a touch of pineapple.Very lush and just island vibe...like I would be hearing Bob Marley...drinking a pretty drink in some outside bar...no shoes...sand at the feet....it is like that..On the dry down the flowers make way for almost a soft aquatic note...like tropical waters...not cold salty ocean...the pineapple fades fast but a passion fruit note seems to pop up...not the passion fruit I am used to working with...MUCH more subtle...just a light more floral fruit...it is pretty but not sure it is me

Velvet Tiki is gorgeous and very fruity in the bottle and in the first few minutes smells like orchids on my skin. It quickly morphs into into passion fruit and coconut with the vanilla starting to make itself known. This is soft and light and perfect for warmer weather. After half an hour, the orchid is back and looks like that will be the scent that is going to stay with the light vanilla. Throw a flower in my hair, I am ready to book a vacation in Hawaii. :wub2:

LOVE. The fruit is predominate on me with the pineapple or papaya coming out a lot. I think the flowers are buffering the fruit, but I can't pick out individual florals and I do not smell vanilla at all. The fruit has some sort of tartness that could be the pineapple again.

This is lovely and summery and I will use this every day when I'm vacationing next month on Sanibel Island. Will probably require a second bottle!

Be Yummy & Sweet Smelling.

What a gorgeous scent! It's the perfect blend of tangy citrus fruit and vanilla, with a hint of floral on my skin.

In the bottle: When I first opened it, it smelled weird and kinda gross, like hairspray. I waited a little while to sniff it again and couldn't really tell what it smelled like.

Wet: It smelled like pineapple straight up.

On the dry down: The pineapple fades to a light citrus and the vanilla becomes more prominent. I'm no good a depicting notes, but there's also a light floral in the background. I wonder if the florals will become more noticeable as the evening goes on...

EDIT: Okay now it's died down to a light vanilla. :glomp:

EDIT 2: It's been a couple hours and it's finally died down to a powdery floral that's still got that citrus tang to it.

In all, I LOVE this blend! It smells the way a Hawaiian beach vacation should smell. I immediately get mental images of blue waters, sand, palm trees, a tiki hut, and a hammock.

Edited by Wenchie

Why I got this: I love tropical scents and tropical florals are the only ones that don't scare me off. Coconut is one of my favorite notes and the prospect of having coconut with vanilla and some tropical fruits and florals was too good to pass up!

Why I was concerned: Despite the fact that I am not afraid of the tropical florals, they don't always work out for me.

What it ended up being: Too floral unfortunately. I do not get coconut or vanilla at any stage of this scent. I do get a fruity scent which is more citrus than pineapple or passionfruit (in fact, it smells lemony to me). I also get light tropical florals. They are nice enough, but without the sweetness of coconut or vanilla, this scent is too floral for me. It's very light on me, extremely close to the skin.

What it reminds me of: This tiare powder my Mom used to have. It was light and powdery with a soft floral scent. This smells a lot like that.

On me this is pure pineapple. I don't even get any florals at the moment! I think I am going to keep this one around for a bit in order to try again.

This was pure love when I first put it on... the pineapple was so yummy, along with the passion fruit and papaya. THose faded away fairly quickly though, and I'm left with a soft dusty floral that I'm not really sure that I like. I will re-test it again in a week or so...

I totally agree with Molls' review directly above mine. This started out AWESOME with scrumptious pineapple in the forefront, a touch of papaya and orchids, but dried down to floral blah. Meh. I'll hang onto the decant for summer, but I have to say I'm really disappointed that the loveliest tropical scent evah that was there in the beginning of application couldn't stick around for longer than five minutes.

:cry2:

In the bottle, it smells like creamy coconut and pineapple. I may get a hint of florals, but it's a tiny hint.

On me, the florals really emerge, but most of all, the vanilla. This smells like a strong vanilla base with the other notes simply accenting. It's a delicious, foody vanilla with soft, sensual florals and a flirty, fruity touch. I loved this...til it dried completely. Over time, this just gets SWEETER and SWEETER. My interpretation was that this smelled just like sugar coated pineapple gummy candy. Good for some people maybe, but my teeth actually hurt every time I sniffed my wrist. Not to mention my head...

Sadly, this just wasn't right for me.

In bottle: florally pineapple

On skin: burst of pineapple juice, delicious!

Half-hour later: softens quite a bit with dusky coconut and white florals. Disappearing fast -- please come back, my pretties!

In conclusion: a mellower version of Upa Upa, which was a boozy tropical explosion. This is for the staid, formal dinner in the dining room at Trader Vic's, instead of hanging out in the bar and watching Blue Hawaii under the light-up puffer fish.

Mmmm, Tiki.

Tiki, Tiki. Tik-tik-tiki.

I used to have a wooden Tiki mug that came with me to SCA events. The story was that I had been looking for a mug and I saw one at the local thrift shop that was made of wood and therefore SCA appropriate, and I grabbed it without bothering to look at the front. I found out at home that my $2 wood mug had an evil Tiki face on it. He was christened, appropriately enough, Mr Tiki. And he became my drinking buddy till I had my birthday at our kingdom's big summer camping event, got completely hammered, and wound up losing him in the middle of a field.

Rest in peace, Mr Tiki. You died the way you lived.

What? Oh, sorry. Lost my place.

This Tiki is Velvet, and not wood. In the bottle it smells like pineapple and coconut, or in other words does a damn fine impersonation of a pina colada. If you like pina coladas...getting caught in the raaaaaiiiiin...

It smells pretty sugary for awhile, almost dying down in fact, and I'm beginning to think that this is another one of those perfumes that smells Teh Nom but my skin absorbs into nothingness. Not a flower to be found...

So I've moved on to the other velvets (more on those later) and I keep getting a sniff of something miraculous. I know this smell. This smell was my smell in college. This smell is vanilla and gardenia mixing with just a bit of fruit and a little sumthin-sumthin extra to make it sing.

Holy Jesus Harold Christ, its Gucci Rush on the drydown. Hallelujah.

Yep. What I'm smelling is definitely that rich, heady combo of vanilla and gardenia. That was the scent that launched a thousand hookups. Well, okay not a thousand, but you get the idea. Boys liked it. I felt like sex on a stick wearing it. This is the first scent of this update that I will be multiple-bottling of, then piling the stash onto my bed and laying on it like a dragon on a pile of gold. Mine. Grrrr....

i was a big fan of some of the Tiki scents that came out last year, so i was *very* interested in what this hommage would be like.

as others have said, in the bottle and while wet on the skin, this is pure awesome. for me it was like finding a way to turn a pint of Haagen Daas pineapple coconut ice cream into a perfume. :wub2:

trouble came after dry down, when all those yummy foodie notes vanished, it became a floral so soft i could barely discern what it was, and then it just vanished off me entirely.

sigh.

i think for me i'll stick with moai, tiki king and upa upa from now on... :shrug:

GThis blend is amazing-it truly is the epitome of golden tropical bliss-sweet tropical fruits, headed up by coconut and pineapple combine perfectly with soft tropical flowers. Tropical vacation in a bottle :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

This is the scent of your fourth pina colada--the super-rich, super-thick one that you drank most of until there was just sweet coconutty rummy sludge in the bottom, and then passed out in. There's a wedge of pineapple and a vanilla orchid garnish mooshed against your forehead.

There's not quite enough base to anchor all this fruity goodness so it floats away pretty quickly and leaves you flopped back in your chair with that flower still stuck to your head. It's a pretty flower, and it's stuck on there really good. I quite like it. I don't get pina coladas for the garnish, though--I had hoped the coconut would hang around longer.

Lobster Rating

better than: that one time you went to the tourist bar in Cancun and got super-wasted and fell over the table of that nice Canadian couple who were so cool about it when you knocked over their drinks

Um. wow! I honestly thought that this would be repulsive on me, and I only got a decant of it to have the whole set, just out of curiosity. Pinaeapple? Icky! But OH! My Goodness! Pineapple is the best fragrace ever! This is a natural, sweet ripe juicy pineapple with a hint of the peel and leaves. Full of tangy, wonderful enzymes and all! Oh, there's other fragrances here too, a wonderful golden vanillaness and some other delicious tropical fruits, and some surprisingly delicate and discreetly non-cloying florals wafting around in the background, but it's the pineapple that I adore.

This scent doesn't last very long on me, within an hour or two going softly florally vanilla, but my, if it isn't fabulous and unusual in the meantime.