Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Velvet Unicorn

Spun sugar, sparkling rainbow candies, strawberries, merangue, and cherry fluff.

I was really looking forward to this as I have fallen in love with the sugary scents of BPAL. My favorite so far has been Candy Phoenix which I am still kicking myself over for not getting two bottles of. <_< I have to admit that I was hoping this scent would be similar enough to Candy Phoenix that it could replace it.

In the bottle: I'm not sure if it's just my nose or what, but all of the velvets that I have smell really faint in the bottle. That being said, this one is light and sweet. Very sweet.

On me: still very sweet. It's definitely cotton candy with a hint of candy strawberries and cherry. It isn't a replacement for Candy Phoenix, but stands on it's own as a sugary scent. This is more of a "let's go out and play" perfume that I could definitely wear to an amusement park or fair this summer.

Overall: I'm really surprised by this. I was thinking that this would be a fun scent and I was right, but it's actually very wearable to me and very suited to the coming summer. :D

I can see why people have raved about this, because it is *really* good. But it is also too similar to some other blends to really be a stand-out to me: It's like Floating Brain and Teenage Cannibal made a baby, and I go back and forth between who the child resembles most.

For the record, I do NOT get ANY Midway from this scent. Not even close.

The good news? It lasts forever, longer than the other blends it resembles and much longer than the other Tikis I've tried. For that reason this is a keeper for me.

eta one day later after a full wear: Okay, I'm not sure this is for me. After five minutes on my skin, it is indistinguishable from Teenage Cannibal except for some note right at the bottom that is really strong and *annoying* and is going to give me a headache any minute. I'm going to try it in my locket and see if it is any better. *sniff*

edited again after one more full wear: No. This is not for me. I am getting the dreaded Boiled Peanut Note of Doom. It must be the merangue (is that really how it's spelled?) because it is usually cream notes that do this to me. This is bad and it's going up for sale.

Edited by Leopard403

My brain pretty much exploded when I read the description for this-it just sounded so amazing. In the bottle it smells like cherry cotton candy-sugary and airy and oh so sweet! Kind of like a mix of Pink Phoenix and Snow Angel perhaps?

On my skin-oh my, this is just so good!!!! Bpal cherry sometimes misbehaves on my skin, but it's not going weird or chemically here-it remains the strongest note, but has a sparkly sugar quality that keeps it light and airy! This is burst of sweet candy goodness! If you want to smell BRIGHT PINK this is your blend!

Yep, magical awesome sugary cherry goodness! Unicorn in a bottle indeed! :wub2:

WOW. I like this one a LOT more than I thought I would. I just had to get something called Velvet Unicorn, list of notes be damned! I am a berry fiend, but some scents like Maenad get too sticky candy for me. So I was apprehensive trying Unicorn on.

Wet: Coconut cream.

Drying: Still coconutty for some reason.

15 minutes: Sweeter and more cakey.

1 hour: Delicious cake.

3 hours: A hint of sweet candy fruits without the stickiness!

4 hours: Vanilla musk with a bit of sweetness.

It lasted surprisingly long, had a low-medium throw, and was more yummy to me than my All Souls decant.

Verdict: OMFG I WANT CAKE. :yum:

Edited to say: I didn't really get any of the notes that were listed - no cherry fluff, spun sugar, and the berry scent didn't last long at all. I kind of wish I could smell this one someone who got all those scents, but at the same time what I ended up with was yummeh.

Edited by mejuxtaposed

Another here who didn't expect to love this, but I really, really do. It's a kind of like Midway meets Marshmallow Poof meets Beaver Moon '07. Must get more!

Bottle: Smells like the strawberry cupcakes from Beaver'versay

Wet: Strawberry, sugar, and fluffy cherry

Drydown: No strawberry to speak of, but a light cherry note over top of the fluffy sugar and merangue

Overall: It's very soft and sugary, but not much else. I think I need a fresh day to try it again. I'll be hanging on to the bottle for now, if nothing else

After full day: Okay this is a winner. I'm not sure of how much use it will get but I definitely like it. It's sweet and cozy and makes me feel pretty cheerful...even if I think the unicorn on the bottle kinda looks like he wants to eat my face

Edited by CynicalPink

Imp: Marzipan

Wet: Fruity candy and marzipan

Drydown: This is sweet, creamy, fruity goodness. It's absolutely amazing! It is perfectly sweet without being cloying, perfectly fruity without any particular fruit dominating, and creamy without being plasticky.

Overall: Wow! It's perfection in a bottle. :yum: :wub2:

Fluffy, creamy strawberry and cherry--makes me think of the "strawberry taffy" part of Sticky Pillowcase, isolated. Teeters dangerously on the edge of plastic on me at first but seems to settle down on the right side of things. Sweet and girly--I like this!

I get cotton candy, cherry, strawberry, something tart. Very nice, light. Sugary. Mmmmmmmm

Sniffed: Extremely pale yellow oil. Pink, sugary candy. I get some vanilla, and this is creamy and somewhat foody. Merangue, yes. Sugar, yes. I can't pick out fruit though, and this doesn't smell nearly as sweet or artificial as I expected.

Wet: A tiny bit tarter and fruitier. The general creamy pink fruit feel reminds me a lot of Pink Kitty. I get a candy note that reminds me of candy corn. Also, it smells vaguely boozy on me - I don't know if it's the PK association or just insanity?

Dry: Very light throw, I really have to lean in to sniff this. Somehow it does have a fluffy, cloud-like, pouffy feel. Makes me think of marshmallows a little bit. An edge of cherry peeks out, tart-juicy like in Neo-Tokyo.

Later: Something citrusy in here; as in PK (these are really sister scents), I get a bit of sweet lime, and it helps cut the sugar. Finally a bit of strawberry, and it's almost exactly like strawberry Starburst (which I love). Not like typical BPAL strawberry, but not as nice as the strawberry note in PK.

Summary: The vanilla note in this is very 'white' and reminds me of the fluffy white vanilla cake of Eat Me - it's got to be the same note. Like Eat Me, this is foody for the non-foody types; it's not cloying and it doesn't amp strangely. Super creamy. It stays very true, possibly because it never dries. Low throw, but great longevity.

Definitely a bottle.

Note: LISA FRANK UNICORNISM review FTW!

Edited by fairnymph

This makes me think of Pink Phoenix and the Floating Brain having a baby.

Cuz it's got that strawberry cake scent that I get from Closet/Floating Brain and Beaver'versary (except with Beaver it went to plastic).

And the sweet sugar/cotton candy from Pink Phoenix.

Mmm. Tasty. Ultimately perhaps too sweet for me, but a sweet treat nonetheless.

This makes me insanely happy.

This is like cherry starburst filled with sugar dipped in vanilla cream with strawberry sugar.

It is bright perky and pink.

:wub2:

Velvet Unicorn - I love it. Love it. Love it. LOVE IT. It's very rare that a candy-sweet perfume will stay true on my skin and not take on the scent of burnt plastic. But this one.... ohhhh, this one is soooo sweet and yummy and gorgeous! My first thought the first time I tried it was "This is Aquolina Pink Sugar done BPAL-style!" I've worn it many times since then and I definitely stand by my first impression that it strongly resembles Aquolina Pink Sugar (one of my favorite froufrougirly perfumes), but it's definitely not a dupe. This is predominantly a cotton candy scent sweetened with pink, sweet, sugary, fruity notes. The strawberry is probably the most dominant note after the cotton candy scent. There's also something creamy and almost slightly milky about this scent (maybe the merangue?) that my skin grabs onto and warms up, and which makes a gorgeous base for the rest of the fluffiness of the scent to rest on. This is by far my favorite sweet BPAL scent based on fragrance alone, but add to it the absolutely perfect level of throw and the amazing wear length, and it's a huge, huge, HUGE winner in my world. I have three bottles and they will all be very loved.

First, the bottle artwork is awesome. Lisa Frank 4EVA!!!

As for the scent inside, it's lovely and I do enjoy it very much, but will probably not purchase a second bottle because of the very limited staying power. I find the throw to be pretty strong, but that is often true for candy-like scents on my skin. However, the scent fades altogether within an hour. It's a perfect pink, sweet, sugary scent, but if that's what I'm in the mood for, I can apply Midway knowing it will last all day.

I don't regret my bottle purchase, though. I've been applying it before I go to bed, when I can enjoy it as I fall asleep and not worry about how long it lasts.

Strawberry cotton candy. I definitely get the comparison to Midway. Something in Midway always reminded me of funnel cakes and Velvet Unicorn has it too.

WOO, after a couple of minutes this blossoms into strawberry meringue. It's soft and yummy, but not too strong.

I don't think I need a backup of this, but I will wear Velvet Unicorn for sure.

wow! I am so surprised that I have reached for my implet thrice in the past couple of days!

I braced myself for a cloying plasticky-ness that I experienced with come cake blends,

but yum yum yum,

what a light strawberry musky confection this is!

someone quoted a Beaver'versary,

and I'd say they're spot on-nom!

Out of the imp, this smells sugary, sort of like circus peanuts or Lucky Charms, plus a little of something that's sort of like a canister of strawberry powdered drink mix.

Settled down, it's mostly lost the berry edge but almost has a hint of cake -- it reminds me a little of Floating Brain, like if the brains were on exhibit in a tent at the circus ('cause the circus peanuts are still there a bit).

Oh man, the reviewer above was right on when saying this is like Lucky Charms! I was totally going to say this was magically delicious (it's ok because I still got to say it anyway :))

Really though- this is another great Velvet scent. I'm sure my excess of hormones is sort of making this a little strange because when I tried it on yesterday it was alot different.

Anyhoo onto the review.

In the bottle: Alot of cherry. Seems like a cherry liquor but I pick up the custard as well.

Wet: Sweet cherry and strawberry sugar. LOVE this stage!

Dry: Well today, it's going stangely heavy on the meringue and I'm getting a coconut note which are blending together to make the custard note in 'Drink Me'. :( But it's still very pink and sweet.

I'm thinking it's just my time-of-the-month hormones messing with the scent and making the strange custardy coconut scent. Yesterday I was getting much more fruit and less custard. I'll try to add to this next week :)

Girly, pink and sweet. Strawberries and spun sugar are the two main notes and together they are very soft.

Unfortuantely it doesn;t last very long, but I am pleased that this is a fluffy sweet scent, rather than caramel/burnt sugar sweet scent.

In the imp, awesomely sweet berry-cherry. On me, I've still got some tartness, but it's being tempered by the utter oooze of sweet sugar. It's still a bit fresh, though, it's not syrupy like Sugar Skull or Pink Phoenix. Oddly, I get some note underlying all of this that tempers it down a bit, lets it stay fruity and sweet without becoming overwhelmingly foodie. (Though I like overwhelmingly foodie, this is a refreshing change from...half my other BPALs.)

I don't think it is especially close to Midway. It's also not much like Strawberry Moon, though it's close to how I had hoped Strawberry Moon would smell.

I gambled on this one (first 5ml and LE I've ever bought!) and I'm glad I did! It's sticky-sweet without being sickly and it starts off a candied cherry, or even a cherry liqueur, before it eventually fades to a strawberry ice-cream kind of scent. Amazing throw and longevity on me. If anyone remembers 'campinos' (those strawberries and cream sweets) then this reminds me of them, but it's not an exact facsimile of the scent they had. I love it! I would eat it if I could. :wub2:

I tried Velvet Unicorn many times before writing a review and now I feel ready to add my positive thought! When wet on me it`s cherry meringue, followed by a tart and lemony note, and it`s strong like one of the 80` colorful eraser from Japan I used to collect ( yes, I collected perfumed erasers, beat me). After 4 hours the delightful, fluffy, sugary meringue note stands on its feet and sings a little song on my wrists like" Lalalalala, I am white and conforting!".

I love this drydown.

Very, very sweet pink sugar (possibly pink Nerds candy (limited edition strawberry, perhaps?), with a very slight edge to the sugar). As it starts to dry down, fresh red berries come out of it (seriously, like somebody got a bowl, put some fresh, tart fruit at the bottom, then filled it up with candy/pink sugar, to try to trick kids into eating the fruit!) and the sugar lightens a bit to a meringue/candy floss sort of scent (berries still peeking out every so often) :)

Rather pretty, but it would be nice if it had more throw... But I think most scents, even the ones that stick around (I still had scent 24 hours after application, up close - then I showered) stick right to my skin...

In the vial: I smell the sugar. Cherry fluff. And yes, meringue (like, lemon meringue)!

Wet: Sweet. Lotsa meringue on my skin. I see why folks compare it to Floating Brain/ Teenage Cannibal; but to me, Velvet Unicorn isn't as cakey as Floating Brain and is closer to how Teenage Cannibal smelled in the vial (since that one really went weird on my skin).

Drydown: Sort of just generic "sweet." Definitely not bad at all, but no specific note stands out to my nose when compared to in the vial or wet. It's fading away super fast on me-- as in, almost not noticeable after ten minutes. :(

Verdict: It's a really nice blend, and sort of what I wanted Teenage Cannibal to be. I'll want a bottle, but don't think I'll want a backup. We'll see. ;) I'll have to retest this another day and maybe when it's not 97º and wreaking havoc on my skin/ senses.