Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Velvet Unicorn

vellg-unicorn.gif

Spun sugar, sparkling rainbow candies, strawberries, merangue, and cherry fluff.

so Velvet Unicorn is like Midways perkier, girly pink cousin. I have the original midway so it could be an age thing but they both have that same spun sugar base note only with VU it is SUGAR! but also sweeter with a creamy strawberry edge. I love how the art and concept are realized in the perfume. It really is the essence of a Velvet Unicorn :lol:

Strawberry cotton candy and instant sugar shock the moment it touches my skin. If you like the sweet stuff, this is definitely for you.

Yowza! A calorie free way to get a pre-Easter sugar rush! It started off pure pink cotton candy but after a few minutes, it smells the way meringue tastes (I hope that makes sense). Strawberry meringue pie :blink: This is an arm licking scent for sure!

I am so glad to see that I'm not the only person who was instantly reminded of Midway! Well, maybe not instantly. When first applied and wet, its a silly happy candy scent. Lime Skittles, Cherry Starburst and strawberry Jolly Ranchers. Nice, a bit sweet, but very fun. Then upon the dry down, MIDWAY! Oh how I love Midway, and I was not expecting to discover a nice alternate with this scent, but I did. It dries down to a creamy, sweet cotton candy with whiffs of rainbow candy ever so slightly blended in. Its a total backup-worthy winner for me! :wub2:

Sniffing the bottle, it's sugary strawberries & cherries. Very fruity to the nose.

Wet on my skin, the strawberry and cherry notes are fighting for dominance...cherry soon wins. Then, as it dries more it does smell more like cotton candy and merangue. I like this better than Midway if for no other reason that it lasts longer on my skin. Midway always smells great for 30 minutes and then--poof--is gone. This seems to be sticking around longer.

The more it dries...the cherry and strawberry notes come back and swirl together into a lovely blend.

As I knew Velvet Unicorn would be, it's going to be a favorite with fruity & foody lovers.

I just got Velvet Unicorn about 10 minutes ago! The bottle art is very 70's... I love it.

I'm a little disappointed. :sad:

Based on the WC reviews and then the ones here, I was expecting full-on sugar rush with this but it has a floral edge to it and I hate florals. :ack: I am a huge foodie girl... I live for the sugar!

I love Midway:Resurrected (I only have an imp from a friend) but this is not at all similiar to this to my nose. Maybe it's my chemistry.

In the bottle, it smells pretty sugary. On my skin, I can smell the powdery edge of the rainbow sprinkles and it has a bit of creaminess that I suspect is from the meringue. I think the cherry edges out the strawberry but they are both present.

There is just a weird floral undercurrent that is keeping this from being something I can totally love. Maybe this will age into something I can love. I'll have to wait and see.

bottle: intense fruity, sugar sweetness. this does not remind me of midway at all. midway is all fried sweets, this is hard candy sweets.

wet: super sweet fruity goodness. not really cherry or strawberry fruit but more like the way candies like jolly rancher are cherry or strawberry. pink and sugary.

dry: the fruit scent fades bit by bit as this dries but the sugar stays put. yum.

Fluffy cotton candy and strawberries and something vanilla-ish. My husband says "strawberry Jelly Belly jelly beans"

Reaction: RTYU@I$POI%P#O%I!!!!!! Where have you been all my life? Instant love.

In the bottle: Dark vanilla cotton candy and a honeyed berry of some sort. Maybe the mixture of strawberry and cherry, but it doesn't really have that "almondy" scent that most cherry has.

On my skin: Can't stop sniffing. Has some notes that remind me of Beaver-versary. Not a morpher on me. Some elements of midway too.

So far this is the longest lasting one (out of the four that I've tried) -- still on my skin the next morning and is very yummy still. Mostly a vanilla cake with a honey berry undertone.

Not getting any florals out of this at all.

This was a bit of a surprise hit for me. :) A lot more vanilla and honey than I expected.

Edit: Wore this again yesterday and it was reminding me of Milk Moon 2005. Body chemistry is such an odd thing!

Edited by TwilightEyes

In the bottle: Strawberry cotton candy.

On my skin: I'm another one who's getting a strong Midway vibe when dry, with a extra bit of strawberry. This is a fantastic candy blend - definitely backup bottle worthy! :wub2:

Oh yes - Give me more oh great Velvet Unicorn!!! :lol:

I have a sweet tooth of the worst kind, so the minute I read the notes I knew I was going to end up with a bottle of Velvet Unicorn, unsniffed.

I wore this yesterday because it seems like such an Easter scent :P I hugged my Aunt and she said "Mmmm you smell good enough to eat!" There is definitely a similarity between this and Midway, but Midway is really light on me and this is more of a sugar power punch - right in your face. I could go into a sugar-induced coma with this and be in heaven.

Underneath all the fluffy rainbow Unicorn sweet-goodness I detect something kind of "hard" and not sweet or fluffy.

Don't know what it is.

edit- I think it's something akin to the gin note found in other April Fools blends. Actually, after a few more testings, I think it's BPAL's Strawberry note that has a touch of fermented fruit to it.

A long time ago, when the Earth was green

There was more kinds of animals than you've ever seen

They'd run around free while the Earth was being born

And the loveliest of all was the unicorn

There was green alligators and long-necked geese

Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees

Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born

The loveliest of all was the unicorn

And for your viewing and listening pleasure:

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

In the bottle-Strawberry and cherry mishmash.

On the skin: Butter?? :blink: Pink cotton candy and butter. It's so buttery that it makes me sick. This is just another reminder that I CANNOT DO sugary sweet scents. :rasp:

So far this is my absolute favorite Velvet scent! I get the cotton candy and the cherry right off but when it dries it smells just like cake!!! It's Floating Brain without the flowers! I usually never buy back-up bottles but this one I definately will!! This one makes my top 3 favorite scents!

On the initial you get the cherry smell...but more of a candy cherry smell...or a marschino cherry...very sweet and red...perhaps a hint of strawberry starburst...on the dry down this is what I wanted midway to be....I get pink taffy and toasted marshmallows...I get cotton candy and powdered sugar...maybe even a hint of funnel cake...but not so much that you would say fried goods...no not at all...just that crunchy light sugar smell....the only really fruit note is that pink taffy vibe...like cherry taffy...not strong and very well blended...I mean really this one is amazing!!!!!

So, I'm a big fan of unicorns.

But there are different types of unicorns. There's happy pastel nice unicorns, and there's purpley-black evil unicorns with names like Moonshadow who play guitar (okay, so maybe there aren't unicorns like that anywhere but in the extremely self-indulgent unicorn novel I've been writing, but I digress). Where was I? I was listing types of unicorns. Apparently there are also Americorns and Texicorns and Soviet Unionicorns.

But then there is the type of unicorn represented by this oil. A unicorn that has, unfortunately, been thrust from the spotlight for far too many years. I think many of you will know what I'm talking about when I say how sad I am that this previously ubiquitous Trapper Keeper mainstay has been shoved aside by obviously less awesome folder fare like kittens hanging off tree limbs or whatever (nothing against kittens hanging off tree limbs, but that's not really so much awesome and just plain old cute).

We are talking serious Lisa Frank unicornism here. We are talking pinky lavendery swirly girly dolphins jumping through clouds mermaids that are also princesses giant cupcakes that turn out to be baby seals in disguise LISA FRANK UNICORNS.

And I am SUPER PUMPED ABOUT THIS.

Plans for this evening: I am going to layer this with Giant Vulva and fantasize about riding a rad unicorn with a ridiculous boy band boy behind me while we are serenaded by dolphins and baby seals wearing bow ties. Then my husband will come home and ask "why do you smell like candy?" and then "why are you drunk?" Then I will wink in the general imagined direction of other forumites and it will be like we share an exciting unicorn secret.

Why I got this: Cherry with other assorted candy scents. Too tempting to pass.

Why I was concerned: If you read my other Velvet scent reviews you'll notice that I keep mentioning that BPAL scents with the word "sugar" or "candy" in their descriptions rarely work for me. I keep trying anyways, because I like a good candyish scent.

What it ended up being: Disappointing. It goes on vaguely sweet with a hint of what smells like soft caramel and some vaguely pinkish candy scent. It disappears very quickly indeed, ten minutes of this on and I can barely smell it anymore! This was the one I was looking forward to the most and it was the one that ended up being the most disappointing on me.

What it reminds me of: Midway and Marshmallow Poof. I wouldn't get too excited about that though, because the throw and lasting power of this is nowhere near what it was for the other two. But I kind of think if those two scents had a child, it would smell a bit like this. But this child is a wussy that doesn't stick around ;_;

I think capnlizaveta's review is one of the best I've ever read. That is all. I will fill in this post with my own review when I obtain my bottle.

I second that! that just made me laugh so hard I scared my poor dog....

I knew as soon as I saw this listed in the Velvets that it had to be mine, that I needed 2 bottles to be safe. And I was right. I think this could be hands down one of my favorite BPAL'S to date.

In the bottle: Cherry-starburst tang, definatley smell the meringue. Faint whiffs of strawberry

On me (mind you I really slathered this because I was so excited): Creamy, fruity sparkling strawberry and sugary cherry. Exactly what I wanted. Someone told me today I smelled like a tropical island. I was like, not quite but close ;)

I soooooo love this :wub2: Unicorns rule! I wish I still had my Unicorn Trapper Keeper from 2nd grade. Ah to be young again.

On the skin: Whoa!! Sugar candy fruits! Sugar Shock!!

Drydown: Wow, most of the sugar is gone and it turns into a creamy strawberry scent. This is pure creamy strawberry. Truly lovely. Again, not normally my thing, but it is so yummy.... Mmmmm!

Oh my god, the sweet, it slays me. This is like being wrapped up in a giant pouf of cotton candy with a side of fruity sugar water. This is 14 years old in a vial. I'm oddly drawn to it, though I'm a little leery of wearing it out in public for fear of being mistaken for a theater concession stand. I keep sniffing at my hand though, and I'm finding myself wondering if buying a bottle for the artwork and for nights alone playing with My Little Pony is a bad thing...

Oh. My. Underpants! This is a strawberry Monsterbait: Underpants with cotton candy on the side! I was sniffing this going, "Mmmmm! Now what does this remind me of...so familiar...CANDIED UNDERPANTS!!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!" and then my head exploded with glee and glitter and confetti came out!

This is warm sugar and strawberry in the bottle, topped with a cherry. It makes me think of hard strawberry candy when I put it on too, there's an initial surge of strawberry right at the forefront. It's perfect because I've been searching for a good strawberry BPAL scent and it looks like the Velvet Unicorn is the winner so far. On dry down, the strawberry fades rather quickly on me, leaving me with a sugar cherry scent then eventually just very sweet pink sugar.

This smell like the creamy strawberry candy scent they use to scent dolls. Not the plastic dolls themselves, but the scent on them, kwim?

I kinda like this and will wear it for the novelty, but can't see needing a whole bottle.

But I love the artwork! :)

In bottle/imp: Strawberry ice cream and lime cotton candy.

Immediately on skin: This scent mostly reminds me of the smell of freeze-dried strawberry ice cream. I love that “astronaut ice cream” stuff and this smells powdery and creamy with a splash of strawberry. Behind that I get what smells like lime cotton candy, and vanilla meringues. This is so sweet, fruity, creamy, and powdery… it’s just a totally fun scent.

After a little while: As this dries, the other fruits seem to fade and I’m left with poofy, creamy, powdery, sugary strawberry with just a hint of generic fruity hard candies.

Overall Impressions: This is an awesome fun, poofy, sugary scent. The strawberry is the strongest note to my nose, but it’s combined with all these fun candy notes that just create a cavity-inducing, fun perfume.

I don't have good luck with cherry fragrances, so I wasn't sure how Velvet Unicorn and I would get along. Thankfully, I don't really smell any cherry in this, and it's not really a fruity blend at all on my skin.

In the bottle, this smells sooo good. It reminds me a little bit of Aquolina's Pink Sugar, but with more pink taffy and cotton candy & less musky perfume.

On my skin, this is such a pretty, sweet fragrance. It truly smells like marshmallows, cotton candy, pink taffy, and a drizzle of strawberry syrup lingering softly in the background. It sounds like that would be cloying & unbearable, but it's not. It's soft and creamy smelling on my skin. And I'm amazed at the staying power of this one. It stays true and strong for hours, with rather decent throw.

Marshmallows, cotton candy, and strawberry. I'm in love.

I really didn't think that this would work on me. It sounded too fruity & too sweet. Velvet Unicorn is awesome, though. I need at least a half dozen bottles of this one.

:love!: