Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

Gardening and the Scents of a Garden

Okay, I usually don't dig florals or aquatic scents because I'm not really into "clean" scents. However, I was wandering around Anthropology and I was wearing the remains of that morning's Black Rose, and I spritzed some Demeter Wet Garden perfume in the air and caught some on my wrist and went, "Saaaaaayyy!". The mix of dark, sensual, mysterious Black Rose mingling with a damp garden smell was divine. Is there a damp garden scent you could recommend that smells dark rather than clean?

Zombi layered with ulalume would be perfect... I was actually just thinking this last night as I went out walking after the rain...

Thanks, you guys! :D

I LOVE the Caterpillar, I'l definitely check out Despair and Zombie and Ulalume are on my imps-to-order-next list...lol I promised myself I wouldn't place any more orders until my OTHER THREE :P get here, though...

OoOooOoOOooOoooh yay! I *love* scents that remind me of forests and dark wet gardens, I prefer them to the fresh garden-y smells. Really chuffed i ordered incantation and The Caterpillar now :P

I recently ordered 12 imps which included a sample of Black Forest because I am hoping for a dark magical pine scent. I'm so glad I found Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and there's even a forum of fans! fantastic......

saturnalia had that wet earth kind of smell...

All right folks! It's time to roll up those sleeves and don those wellies~

it's Plantin' Moon time!

So in honor of our new update,

what are your fav's for diggin' in the dirt?

Is it notes of hay, earth, herbs, flowers?

Lets spill those beans and water 'em too~

Right about now,

I'm on a Amsterdam kick! Tulips and fresh grass, spring is in the air and on my pulse points~

ETA: yes, yes- sometimes being in the garden is about the scent of your garden!

then what of the cold months, when we want to remember our garden's scent~

what bpal get's reached for then? Which bpal is your garden! or someone else's? or just shouts GARDEN in your nose!

and what of blood garden, the witch's garden, the hanging garden...eden....are they garden-y?

Edited by dreadpiraterustypants2

Been going with Windy Moon the past two weeks...mostly because there's been a wind advisory and it seemed appropriate :lol: also thinking about Tempest, cause with all this wind, we're going to need some serious rain in the future.

Um, I wear clothes, though not necessarily shoes. It never occured to me to pick a partcular scent for gardening. I'll have to give that idea some thought.

No scent, ever, when gardening. I try not to even wash my hair before I work in the dirt, or work in the dirt at the end of the day when the shampoo and conditioner smells are faded. Scents attract bugs. Bugs are the only bad bit about gardening.

:GoodPost: Excellent point!

The scents that most effectively make me want to get out and work in the dirt are Garden Path with Chickens, Worm Moon, Deep in Earth. The 'true rose' scents like Peacock Queen and Rose Red inspire me to tend my roses so I can have some beautiful fragrant blooms to bring inside.

Great question...sometimes I wear untested oils because when I'm outside there is more opportunity for the scent to dissipate and if it's something I really don't like then I'm not too overwhelmed with it. Embalming Fluid is always a good one for me because it doesn't compete with other smells in the garden. This year I'm going to try Shango because it smells summery to me.

I tried Strangler Fig but didn't like it in general on me. One that I would like to try is Prague [crocus & somethings]. It just sounds like a good garden scent. My garden is fairly well scented with plants but I always want my own scent floating around me. The poster who wears Amsterdam has now made me think I should get that also!

I've been digging in the garden nearly every morning for the past few weeks, and it's definitely been coloring my BPAL selections...

Her Voice - I wore this for three days straight after putting the columbines in... gorgeous spring petals, warmed up a bit by the beeswax

Caliban - mmm, ferny! It reminds me of my shade garden in the back...

The Norns' Farmhouse - a hard one for me to wear, but when it works, it's fantastic, bitter & green with dry herb stems & dust

Calliope - fresh juicy herbs, great when I'm harvesting & want to get in the kitchen & cook :yum:

By all rights, Blade of Grass & Host of the Air should be in here, too, but I find I'm not reaching for them as much... I suspect they might be more alluring in the early fall, when I'm craving a last bit of green...

I didn't wear it much last year, but I'm making a mental note to break out Death of Autumn when I'm raking leaves & mulching the beds this fall...

Alas, Beth's dirt notes don't work for me at all :(

I usually go scent-free too, so I can smell the flowers :)

However, there's little better in life than spending a day gardening, getting grubby and coming back indoors for a Lush and BPAL-filled bath! :wub2:

I know this was originally posted before Planting Moon shipped, but this past weekend I wore Planting Moon while gardening. It got me in the mood for sure, and I imagine when there's snow on the ground I'll want to smell it again.

I'd have to think about other scents that would complement gardening rather than smelling just like it. But I don't think Planting Moon was a bad choice at all. :D

Resurrecting to ask about yardwork (not quite gardening, I know, but similar enough to the topic at hand).

Has anyone found any scent that works particularly well for them while mowing the lawn? It would be nice to find something that can hold up next gasoline/sweat/newly-cut grass--not to drown them out, but to complement what's already there. I'm new to the world of paying attention to fragrances, so I haven't to my knowledge tried anything with leather or metallic notes, but that's my first thought. Or maybe the mower engine creates enough earthy and metallic notes in its own right, but then I don't know what other notes would best add to it.

What are your thoughts?

Resurrecting to ask about yardwork (not quite gardening, I know, but similar enough to the topic at hand).

Has anyone found any scent that works particularly well for them while mowing the lawn? It would be nice to find something that can hold up next gasoline/sweat/newly-cut grass--not to drown them out, but to complement what's already there. I'm new to the world of paying attention to fragrances, so I haven't to my knowledge tried anything with leather or metallic notes, but that's my first thought. Or maybe the mower engine creates enough earthy and metallic notes in its own right, but then I don't know what other notes would best add to it.

What are your thoughts?

I think dragon's blood would go with those scents, but some people might find it overwhelming and altogether too sharp with the other elements. Scents with other strong resins might work also.

What are your thoughts?

Something from Phoenix SteamWorks would likely fit the bill.

I'm thinking Robotic Scarab sounds like the scent you described in yr imagination above. Me personally would want No. 93 Engine but YMMV. Luckily, they're impable so you can sample 'em all...

Edited by sprout