Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Blood Amber

Slivers of warm, pulsating blood forever crystallized in golden amber resin.

Since I like Amber and Dragon's Blood blends have been working well for me, I was pretty sure that this would be a winner. It is warm, husky...I would not have thought to try it on the mate, but will definitely need to give that a go.

Blood Amber stays true to the imp on my skin, a lovely mix of the main notes and is sticking around for a while. I'm not sure if this will wander over to the big bottle list, but an imp will certainly always have a place in my box...

Quite nice in the bottle so off to the wrist.

On the wrist nice but not remarkable so I put some on the hubby. Wow does it smell different on him! Very nice!!!

Faded on me pretty quick but lasted on him and he promptly appropriated it :P

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Bloody amber!

In the imp: Warm dragon's blood and amber! A lovely combination.

On skin, wet: Spicy dragon's blood and warm amber. I love the combination of the two. Not much throw, though.

On skin, dry: I love this... while it lasts. Which isn't long. After about thirty minutes, it's a barely-there, powdery amber.

Conclusion: If I could convince my skin not to eat this one, I'd love it. Perhaps I'll try it out in a scent locket eventually.

Edited by Aredhel

Blood Amber is nice, but honestly, all dragon's blood scents smell basically the same to me. I get a warm, slightly floral clean scent. I'd recommend pretty much anything from Ars Draconis for someone looking for a good everyday scent.

This is so simple and nice a perfect blend of amber and Dragons Blood Tt really is a perfect warming scent. This one is so hard to really describe to some one unless they have smelled individually DB and Amber. Here they are mixed with amber at the forefront and a smidge of DB to lightly sweeten this scent. I have to say I love the simplicity here. And it smells the same from Bottle to drydown always lovely.

Ever since a meds change (hormonal stuff) things I used to love now smell awful on me (including one of my absolute favorites, Blood). Which is why I'm glad the lab threw this in as a freebie, I'd given up on anything with blood in the title.

This is a gorgeous blend of spicy dragon's blood and warm amber. It's not overpowering or even all that noticeable, just nice warm and spicy. Will keep an imp on hand for when I need a blood kick.

I love this in the imp - warm, vital. I adore amber! On, it stays for about two seconds before almost fading completely away. I have to slather a large amount on to prevent if becoming a mere memory of a whiff. As it fades, the smell changes slightly to let a sharper note emerge - almost like a hint of fresh, juicy fennel seeds. It prevents it from being too cloying and overpowering. A perfect scent, if only it would stay!

I've heard this smells killer on men, so let's see how it smells on someone slightly less man and slightly more butch. :D

In the vial - ...mental note: read reviews before getting imps. *sighs* I didn't realize there was dragon's blood here until I just opened it and got that whiff of lilac that I always get. The amber IS tamping it down nicely, though.

Wet - LILAC. Not as sweet and overpowering as most, but LILAC.

Drying - The amber is keeping the lilac under control, but it's still THERE. Lurking. :P

Dry (1.5 hours later) - It's dried down really smelling like dragon's blood and amber, with not a lilac in sight! *grins* Ah, this makes me very happy. However, the amber is really getting drowned out and the whole thing is very dry smelling. If only the amber would blend a bit better...

Overall - It's one of the few dragon's blood scents I can wear without being killed by a giant lilac bush, so that's wonderful, but it just wasn't all that mind-blowing. I'll be keeping my imp, but it's not great enough for a big bottle.

In the bottle:

Dragon's Blood and nothin but!

On me:

I have learned through all the dragon's blood blends that I've tried that dragon's blend - in anything at all - is the predominant note on me. It doesn't matter what else is in there, it's always going to come off as mostly dragon's blood. Which is okay with me, it's a pleasant smell - it makes me think of carnations in that it is a slightly spicey floral LIKE smell (though not a floral). In this, it is the same as it usually is, but after about 10 minutes, the amber starts to warm this up and add a slight sweet, powdery note. Unfortunately though, shortly after the amber shows up, the whole scent practically disappears on me all together.

Final note:

Anyone who likes Dragon's Blood or Amber will like this, but if your not a fan of either, you're not going to be a fan of this either!

Blood Amber

wonderful freebie from the lab :P

in vial: dbr and amber

wet: same

dry: a perfect, warm, sweet blend of dbr and amber...lasts about 4 hours

verdict: this goes on my big bottle list

Uh. I can't do anything with Dragons Blood in it.

This one, unfortunatly turns my stomach. I tested it on my skin anyway, hoping the dry down would be a bit more pleasant....but it was still terrible on my skin, even after it dried.

This is one of the few BPAL scents I relaly don't like at all.

I wish I got more amber from Blood Amber, but on me it's mostly Dragon's Blood. I enjoy the DB here but I wish it was a little more complex. It's so faint that about an hour after application it's nearly gone.

Blood Amber's like a blush on a cheek---a quick flush of warmth and then it quickly recedes.

in the bottle: straight up dragon's blood.

wet on skin: I can never quite decide if I like dragon's blood or not. Sometimes, it gets a bit too fruity on my skin and I am most definitely not a fan of fruity smells. Blood Amber, however, has a slight warmness to it, which I'm guessing is coming from the amber.

dry: The amber has amped up a bit and nudged the dragon's blood partially out of the way. The dragon's blood in this is edging closer to the fruity side of things, which makes me a little unhappy.

I've pretty much given up on dragon's blood at this point. It always smells like rotting wildflowers on me, sometimes rotting wildflowers mixed with rotting cherries. But it always smells rotten.

Blood Amber starts out strongly of rotten florals with a bitter cherry cough syrup undertone. I don't smell any amber until I've been wearing it for about 15 minutes, and it quickly goes powdery on me.

Blood Amber smells like rotten wildflowers dusted with babypowder that are sitting in a vase of cherry cough syrup.

I give up on you, dragon's blood...

Blood Amber

In the imp: dragon's blood, sweetened by amber.

Wet on skin: yup, still dragon's blood and amber…

Dry on skin: mmm…this is quite nice! The clear, red, fluid scent of dragon's blood coupled with the rich sweetness of amber. It's a simple, yet unusual combination that makes for an interesting scent.

After a while: after a while when the dragon's blood and amber seem to alternate as to which note is more prominent, the scent seems more balanced, and the qualities of both scents are apparent in the overall fragrance.

After an hour or two, there's something musky that comes out! maybe a red musk? Perhaps that's the dragon's blood, but there is something musk like here-bordering on the almost animalistic, but not quite there.

Verdict: this is a very simple combination-just two scents, dragon's blood and amber. But they make for a very interesting, unconventional perfume. the dragon's blood and amber mix to form a resinous, clear scent which is both red and golden, sweet and fluid, both notes change and alternate. It's a nice scent, not an outright favourite, but I do like it.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Blood Amber

In the bottle: Kind of like an old woman's perfume. Like a demented Estee Lauder "Beautiful".

Wet, on skin: Resin mixed with something sweet. Heady -- if I inhale too deeply my head spins a little. A slight touch of cloves or pepper somewhere underneath. Sweet but dusky, like a sundress on sale in a thrift shop.

1.5 Hours on skin: Much sweeter now, the resin is very subtly present. Dusky and velveteen. This might do well in the winter.

Drydown: Soft drydown, sweet resin.

Conclusion: Good for winter, but I wouldn't buy the full bottle.

This was a generous frimp from the lab. I think dragon's blood is not my friend. At first the scent is a little floral, a little soapy and even a little sour. Even after slathering though I am hard pressed to smell it. Ages later, almost after I've forgotten I put it on, I get a warm, floral, lovely amber scent. But I can't wait that long!

this is another favourite of mine. dragon's blood and amber. if this perfume could be a colour it would be a deep semi opaque red with slices of translucent orangey gold :P

perfect for late summer early autumn. it's a warm scent that's just a little bit sexy :D

In the imp: Warm blood, not kidding about that, and definately resin.

Drydown: The blood scent fades away, resin comes to the foreground and stays until the end.

Overall: A nice warm resin blend. I wouldn't wear this seperately, but could be lovely layered with another smell. Not amazing, but not horrible.

Wow, this is so red in the imp! It does look a little bloody.

I know what amber smells like, even though I've never personally worn it. I've never smelled dragon's blood, so I was excited to try this one out.

The imp smells very incensy and musky to me. It smells floral and a bit sweet. On my skin this still smells how it did in the bottle. As it dries, it gets warmer and richer smelling. It's floral, and reminds me of the musks in Venom and Scherazade. It smells nice, but something I wouldn't wear. Both imps went off to new homes.

Erm, I hardly expect anyone to find this as Blood Amber is on it's 5th page of reviews....but.

I had a bit of a nasty reaction to this one (stingy itchy red welt right where I applied it). I've used plain Dragon's Blood and plain synthetic Amber before, so I don't know what caused it... :P Anyway, I'm mentioning it because I have sensitive skin and someone else might have the same problem.

What I'm guessing is the dragon's blood comes out first on me - very strong, and very resin-y spicy-sweet. The amber comes out a bit later, and is nice and warm and spicy, but the dragon's blood is pretty close to overpowering it.

A little sweeter than I expected unfortunately, which makes it edge towards headache inducing on me, but I'll give it a go another day and hope that sweetness isn't quite so strong.

I'm not too sure what Dragon's Blood smells like by itself, but this is wonderful. It's a warm, rich scent, but not too heavy. You can smell the amber in it, but it's well blended. I put it on five hours ago, and it's still going strong.

This is going on my 'Need a Big Bottle. NOW.' list.

My Impression:

Okay, of all of the Dragon's Blood Blends I get less Dragon's Blood in this one and more amber which acutally is a welcome surprise. It is not overpowering and I believe it makes a lovely daytime scent. My only wish is that it had a little more staying power as it seems to fade quickly on me. My scale of 1-5....4

I'm like a lot of people who say that dragon's blood dominates a perfume for them. It's pretty much all I can smell. I detect the amber, but the sweetness of the dragon's blood ruins it for me. Too sugary and fruity. A boring scent on me. :P