Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Blood Amber

BLOOD AMBER:

Slivers of warm, pulsating blood forever crystallized in golden amber resin.

In Bottle: The dragon’s blood is the strong note.

On Skin: MMM… I like it better than Blood Rose, because I love amber. I also like how I could picture this on a man as well. I’ll have to get my husband to try it out. Actually, I could wear Blood Rose and he could wear this and we’d be a perfect pair. The amber is gentle and calming. A beautiful yet comforting scent.

Another great Dragon's Blood scent. Blood Amber has a predominant Dragon's Blood scent, and the amber tempers it a little and makes it a bit less heavy and more mellow. It dries down lighter than some of the others do, with a touch of sweetness. Really nice drydown. Just more proof that it's hard to go wrong with Dragon's Blood.

In the bottle: Nice amber scent with something slightly spicey and warm behind it. Not really my kind of thing, but I'm willing to try it following all of teza's raves.

Wet: This scent actually isn't as bad as I had feared it might be. It glows. It has a nice warm yet golden feel to it even though it's such a brilliant red oil. It smells like amber with some spice behind it. A very natrual smell that has a nice throw to it as well.

Dry down: Unfortunately the spice is coming of this a little more than I had hoped. I'm not a big amber fan, but this one was nice because it was so simple and true. The spice behind it is a little much for me. It's almost like cinnamon or cardamon, something slightly off kilter without being too hot if that makes sense. It's still a pretty nice smell, but I can feel the beginnings of a headache approaching.

Dry: This turns too spicey on me and leaves the quiet amber in the background. Too much cinnamon or something in the blend. My skin apparently just amps that up.

I'll post a more comprehensive review when I can get the imp...IF I can get the imp...away from Spooky (the BF).

But! I did want to mention that this is pure boy-yumminess. I can't wait to try it myself! On him it's just....yeah. Very very good. Big Big bottle.

If you are looking for something sexy for a male, go for this. If it's your SO, don't leave the house without a bat. If you stay in, enjoy! :P

I've never smelled DB before, but from reading the reviews did expect the cherry scent.

Bottle - Very, VERY cherry, with a bit of almond and vanilla behind

wet - helloooo cherry almond! Very strong...dies down to more almondy in flavour.

drydown - there's a hint of amber in there, but over all it's still cherry, but a woody cherry, kind of like how rosewood sounds like it should smell (but doesn't). No amber whatsoever, which is pooey, because I love amber.

dry - pleasantly warm, still quite sweet, but woody with lots of vanilla. I like it, ir reminds me of something from my childhood, but I can't quite figure out what. I've slathered some more on and hopefully it'll come to me in my dreams.

Overall: nice, but I think I'm good for the rest of the year, probably longer.

Oro

Strength underlay of blood, sweet overlay of amber. Starts fruity/cherry-y, with a dab of honey, sugared, with a strength that's maddening. Settles into the deep, spiced blood with a wash of warm sweet over it.

I looove this. Powerful, strong, yet sweet.

Oh, this is great. I was sort of scared after reading the reviews that said that the blood was dragon's blood, since I've had bad experiences with the Ars Draconis scents. When I first tried it on, I thought I would have to swap it out. The dragon's blood was too tart and soapy. But then I showered, thought what the hell, and tried it again. Now it smells wonderful!

This is warm, slightly spicy, and exotic. This is what I hoped Bathsheba would be (odd, because I swapped my Bathsheba for this). I don't get any cherry that others have commented upon. There might be a touch of cinnamon here. Something smells like honey, but real honey, not the terrible swamp that honey scents become on my skin. It also smells completely different on my skin than the vial. I'm drawn most to incense/tobacco scents, but I could definitely see myself wearing this for a change of pace. This is a glowing, smooth scent and a contender for a big bottle.

A gift from the lovely Therevada of a scent I'd been wanting to try.

Just as advertised: dragon's blood and amber. Not that markedly different from any of the Ars Draconus scents. Amber is not peeking through, but tempering the mix. Will use up imp, but there are more interesting scents that use dragon's blood as a component. (See: Dragon's Bone, Dragon's Milk.)

ETA: eye kint spel gud

Edited by yellowrose

Why does dragon's blood hate me? From Blood Amber, I got a pure Dragon's Blood scent long enough to give me a headache, and then it turned gorgeously ambery. I wan't to wrap myself in a blanket of its fuzzy ambery goodness. Sadly, I can't endure the inevitable headache while I wait for its gorgeousness. :P

In the vial: Dragon's blood. Yup, dragon's blood. Floral, spicy, fruity, and sweet. Did I mention dragon's blood?

Wearing: Same. It does seem to go less floral and strong than most dragon's blood I've tried, and it's tarter and almost metallic. After a few minutes the amber comes out as the dragon's blood note fades, thankfully.

Later: Darn, the amber went away again! Now I'm left with the spicy floral again. This is, on me, generic. I will probably swap it out.

In the imp this is a deep orange color (of course). It goes on very powdery and warm. It's not as sweet or strong as Bastet- which is one of my favorite amber blends right now. After a few minutes a floral note develops- jasmine maybe? This is nice but doesn't have much staying power on me. For now I'll still with Bastet for my amber fix.

After Bastet and Imp I realized my skin loves Amber.

Dragon's Blood and Dragon's Milk proved that any dragon blood scent is worth smelling and trying, at least once.

It was no surprise:

Blood Amber is perfect on me.

On first whiff, I got a bit of ambery goodness. Once it hit the skin both notes played nice, stayed nice, and went straight to the lucious category.

The description says blood (dragon's assumedly) and and amber like the title, but all I got was dragons blood so strong and wafting I now have a headache with a backnote of soap. Apparently dragon's blood just takes over on me, so I'll have to avoid it in the future, and send this to the swap pile. I feel guilty that this is a two-sentence review, but that's all I needed until I threw this sentence in.

Wet - a very light dragon's blood and amber.

Dry - it takes about 15 mintues to go to powder. I wish amber didn't hate me so!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

This was all amber on me, which suits me fine because my skin loves amber, apparently. It smells beautiful in the bottle, and even nicer on the skin. It is a very natural skin scent on me - it doesn't feel like I am wearing perfume, it's just that there is this gorgeous scent coming off me. Which is a nice feeling.

Wet, this is blood to the extreme – super strong fruit/berry syrup, very sweet and sticky, not to mention juicy!

The amber leaps out after the initial wrist swipe, causing the blend to become more floral and heady. It strikes me as a mature blend, though bright and bubbly at the same time.

I’m not receiving much of a musk impression from it at all, interestingly enough. And it doesn’t seem to be changing all that much as I sit with it. It lightens just a tad, but is just as sweet as ever.

Not a wearable fragrance on me in the least, I’m sad to say. Though, it’s pretty and feminine, and will certainly find a welcoming home!

I get soapy, musky, ambery impressions from this stone-surfaced (to my nose it literally has the texture of a smooth, cool, lump of amber!) scent. It is, odd though it sounds, a "clean headshop-y" sort of scent, although it smells little to nothing like Dragon's Blood to me :D.

This is the olfactory equivalent of red-veined marble :P

Bottle (Imp): This smells smoky and a hint sweet to me. That's the dragon's blood, and I guess the amber as well.

Just On: Oooh, it's kind of smoky still, a little more sweet, and a hint incensy.

An hour or two later: Sweet smokiness and incense. I like it.

Around 6 hours: It's starting to fade away, and still smells very much like it did at first.

12 hours: It leaves just a trace of incensy sweetness on me now.

Overall: I like the sweet part of it, and the incensiness, but I'm not so sure about the smoky part. It's a little burnt on me, so I may have to try this one again. It's on the like list though. It never went powdery as amber often does on me (which would have been fine too).

After reading other reviews: I like the way this plays out on my skin, and it's so well blended that it's hard to separate the scents in my head. It's like one gorgeous scent. I really never got cherry, almond, or flowers as some other folks did.

This one smells enough like Dragon's Eye that I think I can tell what Dragon's Blood is now! Still not quite sure where the amber note is; I get a lot of cinnamon and sweetness from this. I think I'll wear it out the day and see what happens.

This was my first-ever BPAL scent. A lovely way to be introduced, overall, once I discovered the right amount to apply. :P

The very first time I tried this, all of the amber was swallowed up into a very strong, heady, incense scent. And I mean strong. I nearly gave up and washed it off about a half-hour in, as I was developing a headache.

After the incense settled down, this warm, rapturous, golden glow came out. Thick, hazy, and soothing. I could not stop sniffing my wrists.

The next time I tried, I went lighter instead of slathering it on, which I always want to do when I smell the deliciousness of the bottle. No headache, no overly powerful incense. Just a warm spicy scent that matured into a thick warm blanket.

I'm still playing to find the perfect amount that won't get the knock-you-down-across-the-room incense to taunt me but will last with the golden overtones.

I'm an insomniac, and I put a dab of this on my wrists the other night so that when I curled up in bed, I could drift away on it.

I will be getting a big bottle of this.

What a great scent combo! Dragon's blood softened by the golden sweetness of amber. It's musky, incensey, sweet and bold, all at the same time! I love it, I will probably wear this one when I want to feel sexy and mysterious. It gets better with every sniff! The only downfall: the oil is so red my impie is all stained up! :P

I ordered this one because I didn't know if I actually liked dragon's blood as a perfume and I know I like amber, so it seemed the perfect way to test.

In the bottle and wet on me: I'm not really noticing the amber much and unlike the dragon's blood in Dragon's Milk, this smells almost cloying and thick.

Drying: still a little syrupy, but I think the amber's coming through.

Dry: The amber's finally showing up and the spiciness is settling in. I think the imp's a keeper but I want to try some other dragon's blood scents before I move it to the big bottle list.

Wet: Nice. A little cinnamony? Sweet incense? It goes on smoothly, without that objectionable edge that freshly applied perfume can sometimes give.

1 Hour: Spicey on top with a sweet mellow foundation. So far so good.

2 Hours: Staying true, and blending nicely together.

7 hours: Pretty. Still reliably present if I stick my nose to my wrist, and I get a waft every now and then as I move.

Verdict: I kept waiting for it to take that extra step into spectacular, but it didn't oblige. It ended in 'pretty'. Nice enough to keep the imp for certain. I like it.

In the Bottle: ooh.. its such a pretty red color, but darn it- I don't smell much coming out of there. I almost stuck the lid up my nose trying to smell this.. its so faint. I am getting more amber than dragons blood... I probably wouldn't even know there was dragons blood in it if I hadn't read the description.

On my skin: at first.. its almost fruity with an amber background, its like the smell of apple skin. As it drys down I can smell a bit of amber but its not strong at all, but faint and soapy.. as if I was wearing amber but took a shower and this was all that remained. Its very powdery and soapy the longer I wear it.. and its got no 'throw' to it - I have to keep sticking my nose to my wrist to catch any of it. I have no idea where the spicy, dragons blood scent is.. but I've got none of that anywhere to be found. I've got no blood smell of any kind actually.. not a hint.

I really love amber and all of the thick resin scents - and they love my body chemistry right back.. but this one is just too light and powdery for me. I even applied more, but it still didn't do it. If you want a subtle amber.. this is definitely it- I like the amber that smacks you over the head with its presence.

(this is my first review)