Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
awesomeoverlord

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v1

LX??? (from SadTomato) - If Dorian and Khrysee had babies that were lemon blossom instead of orange blossom, this would be babies. It has that "feel" of Dorian's tea, and a more lemony scent that very much resembles Khrysee. Wooonderful.

As Khrysee has quickly become my favorite scent, and Dorian is one of my top GC faves - this is an utterly perfect CT for me. :o I feel super lucky to have stolen it away from SadTomato into my own greedy hands.

PERFECTION. <3

cheshirecat's CT V Dorian #11: LXX or CXX, number unclear

Lemon yellow oil. Yuzu, WISTERIA, and sugary Dorian. Also, an odd grapey fruit note? Egads. This is so not going on my skin.

cheshirecat's CT #6, previously reviewed by fairnymph

Erm, I agree with the walnut and sugary vanilla tea, especially on wet. But as it dries, there's a pale yellow-white blossom that comes out on my skin, lending a floral freshness to the blend.

cheshirecats CT #11, previously reviewed by fairnymph

Definitely wisteria, and it dominates the Dorian base, although hints of sugary vanilla tea make an appearance here and there. On wet, there is a strong lemony/citrus that isn't lemon, and might very well be yuzu but I can't tell distinctively. But yeah this is basically WISTERIA + Dorian.

^^^

Glad you agree. I wonder if maybe the floral you get is that 'gingery' note I got on drydown.

LXXI or CXXI

Sniffed: Colourless oil. Extra tea-spiked Dorian with smoky resin. Pitch pine, copal, balsam? Something along those lines.

Wet: Sweeter, more sugary. Black TEA! More masculine-herbal than straight Dorian, and definitely a pine-based resiny scent, but other than that and the extra tea, this is a pretty simple (but delicious!) blend.

Dry: Huh...I think this has chrysanthemum in it, in addition to the piney resin. It's a very smooth, slick scent, and that tea/mum combo always makes me think Daiyu in any blend. There's got to be white tea here as well as black.

Later: The sugar is settling down to a more bearable level for me. So far this is the most heavily Dorian CT I've tested. Note: the lightly piney resin is NOT the Pine Doom of say, wintry BPAL blends. Also, this is fading to nothing.

Summary: Sigh. The other notes fade, leaving musky, creamy vanilla'ed sugar. Really delicious musk, and really nicely creamy, but a bit simplistic and a tad too sweet for me. Still the best Dorian CT so far.

#CDXLIX

It seems to me to be a combination of Dorian, Theodosius and Zephyr. Light, with tea and lemon predominating, and a hint of soft flowers in the background. Very nice, and I almost kept it, but enough like the others that I'm going to try to swap my bottle for another. :)

CCCXLII - 342

Sniffed: Extremely pale, nearly colourless yellow oil. Fresh, green, herbal. Grassy. Perhaps a little minty, maybe some spicy floral - carnation or phlox. Sweet, sugary tea below.

Wet: Almost bitter green - dandelion! Still grassy and a little spicy; a mild carnation. Not actually minty, and not soapy despite its cleanness. Clover, too!

Dry: Very brisk. Reminds me intensely of a Gap scent. More tea and sugar emerges over time, and much of the greenery fades (but each note evenly) so that it's only lightly green-fresh over the amped musky sugar-tea.

Later: Seems extra musky, like Dorian with the musk ratio increased. Also, more fougere-like; I get some oakmoss in drydown, too.

Summary: Dandelion & fresh greenery over super musky Dorian. I absolutely adore it, and hopefully I can acquire the bottle! It's the only CT V I've loved so far.

VXI (I think...this is a decant and bottle owner is not sure if that is full number)

This blend is Dorian + Lemon Verbena

It's a light-hearted perfect for summer scent. Makes me want to drink a tall glass of extra sugary homemade lemonade. :yum:

DXXXI - 531

Sniffed: Sugary Dorian and a soft floral, maybe iris or lilac? Rather lavender and delicate in feel, but I also get a hint of something spicy.

Wet: Whoa, spicy. Cassia, I believe, and maybe some bitter clover. Still the floral, which does strike me as lilac. The black tea note is SUPER strong, and lots of almost-creamy vanilla and sugar, too.

Dry: This stuff has crazy strong throw. The cassia has settled a bit and is actually really nice, exotic without being red-hot like cinnamon. The floral is a bit heady and cool, but still well-behaved. Clove & tea are really dominating, vanilla-sugar just below.

Later: The clove continues to amp strongly, and a bit of the sugariness has faded. Cassia, tea, and lilac hold. I do think it's definitely lilac, but the rare kind that doesn't turn to soap on me - it reminds me exactly of the lilac note in His Station and Four Aces.

Summary: It has gone oddly smoky, almost incensey...I think there is tobacco in this, like a cigar tobacco - it's a little bitter and harsh, and reminds me of Champagne & Cigars. Even less sugar, and far less vanilla, than earlier.

Cigar tobacco, clove, & cassia with faint lilac & vanilla-sugared tea in the background on final drydown. Too spicy/smoky/masculine for me personally. Fantastic throw, decent longevity.

My one lab-ordered bottle...off to swaps.

Edited by fairnymph

CCCXII

In bottle: tea with something green beneath it.

Wet on skin: light musky tea with something green beneath it.

Dry on skin: A bit stronger on the musk, with that lovely green note hanging around still.

I have a feeling this will be quite lovely down the road, once the Dorian has had a chance to age a bit. (Not that I'm not loving it right now..) Keeper! :D

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v1: Dorian Series - CCCXXXVII / 337

My initial impression was Dorian + Ouija--there's a hint of wood, incense, and rose in the bottle. On my skin, it's rosewood and Dorian, drying down into something akin to Death + Dorian.

CCXXXVlll (238)

My bpal friends unanimously agreed on this one: Dorian + Rose.

I was shocked to hear this because typically I HATE rose, but I absolutely adore this blend. The rose note is similar to Red Rose (although not quite that green), or possibly Hope due to it being a little sweet. Either way, the rose combined with the beautiful Dorian turns into something wonderful on my skin. A sweeter version of Dorian with a light floral tone. I love this!!! :wub2:

Edited by scrappy

I'm quoting this below, because I'm reviewing another decant of this from the lovely Schackjj...

CCLXXX (280) I'm testing this for the very kind schackjj. :D

In the imp: The first impression I get from this is a sugary floral with a hint of something a little darker at the edges. She mentioned smelling a leather note, and the more I sniff, the more I agree. It's not an overpowering amount, but just enough to top off the sweetness.

On my skin: Mmmm. Cool, sugary lime, soft floral and a hint of leather. The dry-down is heavenly... just sniffing my wrist is making my mouth water! If I had to compare this to another scent, I'd say it's quite a bit like Mr. Nancy: sweet, citrusy, masculine without being manly.

This is a wonderful scent for the warm season. Excuse me while I dab on the rest of my decant and imagine myself drinking an unfortunately nonexistent glass of limeade.

When I tried this, the first blast from the open imp was....whoa! What is that?! It was quite...odd...bitter? Sour? Something off-putting anyway, though also something green and familiar. I kept sniffing and sniffing and thought huh, it's geranium. That seemed so odd to me that I decided I was wrong, though then I remembered Zdravetz, which has appeared in some BPAL scents, and is, indeed, a geranium essential oil.

But I had answered a post for ISO of a great nose (which I don't have, but I don't have an awful one either) so I knew I had to try harder. I put dabbed a bit of the perfume on me, where it was a blast of green familiarness over definite Dorian, took the imp and headed upstairs to my essential oil collection. what was this like?

I don't have any geranium (or zdravetz) EOs, but I sniffed a lot of other green notes, and when I hit petitgrain, I thought I'd found it. It has an odd, almost overpowering scent in the bottle which more than anything else reminds me of pickles, though when it is mixed or dilute I find petitgrain to have a green slightly sour/bitter note. And it is citrus, afterall, so it also has a citrus edge. Because I noted that this blend DOES get pretty heavy on the citrus, and I understand why sirensea might read it as lime....it is a very green citrus...Lime or petitgrain...hmmm..who knows?

What I don't get is any leather at all.

Being rather determined to figure this out, I took the decant with me to the Colorado meet and sniff. Several people sniffed it, and none of them got leather. When I said could it be geranium, a couple of people thought it might be. As a suggestion, petitgrain got mixed results because not everyone knew what petitgrain was or smelled like.

So...inconclusive. I think it is either (or both) some sort of geranium and petitgrain. And since I can't really tell, I can't tell either if it will calm down....I know that on me that green top note fades fast and leaves me with a rather citrus heavy Dorian, but I'm afraid I'm not much help other than that.

The number came off, so I think it was either XIX or XVX.

This is Dorian and Smut '06. This is sex on the tea table, sugar gone everywhere, lemon rind between your fingers...

I'm sorry, the heat is doing things to me, what were we talking about?

A frimp from a wonderful forumite. :wub2:

Chaos LXX or CXX (imp) lemon and something burnt...slightly burnt rubber.

Dry: Lemon and still slightly burnt rubber. I must wash this off now.

Frimp from a wonderful forumite.

CDCXI (511): This one definitely has strawberry. It's like the offspring of Monsterbait: Closet + Dorian. As it dries, the strawberry recedes (and while it has acquired a bit of a plastic edge to it), the vanilla/cake aspect is less heavy than in Closet but still present. It's like Closet lite, with more vanilla musk. It alternates smelling like a Barbie doll and some tasty cake. So I can't seem to make up my mind on whether to keep it or let it go.

But I do have Closet... so I might pass on this one. Although this one has been really yummy.

DXLIII - decant - dorian switched up for some Earl Grey tea, starts herbal stimulating kick in the nose and ends soft sweet vanilla

DX - decant - after his cup of tea dorian went out for a night on the town with Czernobog, sweeter with a rich musk to it - myrrh and musk

CCCL - decant - dorian + dragons blood, the blood hangs on for quite some time dominating the scent

CCCXXXVIII - decant - dorian, and... sugar? still very similar to normal dorian

Edited by bastlynn

CLCCXCIII (I think? The label is all smudgey)

Wet in bottle - Another CT bottle full to the brim. I get very little Dorian and a bit of apple, with maybe some acquatic undertones.

Wet on skin - Apple and something else that is fruity/minty. There is the tiniest hint of Dorian's lemon/tea note at the bottom. This reminds me more of Gennivre instead of Dorian. There could be jasmine in here because I just got the faintest whiff of cat pee.

Dry on skin - A more floral Dorian. I will have to let this sit to see if it changes a little. I'm not 100% in love with it yet.

The label is smudged and I can't make out any of the numbers.

In the bottle: Dorian with extra lemon

Wet on skin: The extra lemon is more like lemon verbena--yum! And there's a lovely dollop of ginger as well.

Dry on skin: Dorian with soft lemon verbena and ginger! I have officially lucked out with this bottle. :wub2:

Sadly, it only lasted about two hours in my first test. I'll have to see what I can do to increase the wearlength because this is gorgeous.

CCLXXIII (273) origin - purchased from forum member

Bought off the forum, cannot find the original post I responded to nor the PM - boo - but I recall it being described as Dorian and a leather jacket I definitely get the more masculine feel of this one. I don't believe there's leather in this, I get more of Dorian with a dose of testosterone, after shave only a many-man would wear. Bay rum with musk, possibly some woodiness to round it out.

Edited by Midnight Aeval

CCCXXXI - decant

First Sniff: Floral?

Skin Test: Oh. My. Sweet sugared tea. This is lovely. Not a lot of throw, though. Still a keeper.

CCCLXVIII

First impressions: Even with the bottle closed tightly, this scent dominated the package when I opened it, as well as my desk when I set the bottle there to let the mixed-perfume smell of my package air out. This was a very strong, heavy scent--spicy and tending towards a "masculine" scent. I decided this is at least a nice scent to keep on my desk, even if it ended up being too strong to wear.

Wearing: This mellowed out nicely and without any scent morphing. The top note is vanilla, and the other notes keep it from getting too sweet. This is a scent for cooler weather--it would be overwhelming in the heat. Unfortunately it's too strong to wear to work, but it's great for weekends and evenings out. Love it! Added plus, the scent lasts a very long time.

It seems the scent is so strong because the bottle is filled to the brim, and I probably had some leakage while I was handling it. Just leaving the bottle closed but out in the open is a convenient room perfume.

CHAOS THEORY V: Dorian Series CLXXXI

In the Vial: Fresh/Clean Sharp. Possibly a touch of something masculine. (I just picture those starched white ruffles on old time shirts).

On the Skin: It has an edge of masculine cologne, and a tea note. Also that sharpness almost seems citrus (not quite lemon). With the tea rearing its head and this almost lemon note, I feel like my mysterious Dorian now has settled with his tea & lemon in perhaps a sunlit library. But is there a way a perfume can catch the sun light filtering gently, does that even have a smell?

As it dries: It is as before, but now the scent has deepened and become creamy. Delicious. Perhaps he's added cream to his tea b/c the scent just has that thick sweet cream note (that so many of the 'fruit & cream' scents have...but no fruit salad) or rather he's dipped a cream scone into his tea.

Overall: The above, peaceful and not over powering. Kinda like art, as it paints the whole scene in my head...all it needs now is to come with a cup of tea for me & perhaps this lovely tea drinking Dorian. :)

CLXXIX (179)

This is so frustrating because I just can't put my finger on what I'm smelling. This is a sweet blend with only a tad bit of Dorian, but I can't say what's making it so sweet. Sometimes I'll put on an oil and say, "ooh, maybe this is it!" but I just don't know. Something in Kurukulla was familiar, maybe the lotus? But I also smell it and think maybe it's a berry sweetness or a pine sap. Maybe it's an extra musk? I don't know.

Mine is CLXXV, a decant from bookandbroom.

I think bookandbroom is psychic, because she picked a great decant for me. This is Dorian mixed with a fruity martini. It's boozy and light and sweet and just a tad musky. It's perfect for a night out on the town. Besides the musk, the Dorian itself is pretty subdued - I don't get any vanilla, for example. I'm okay with not really being able to smell the Dorian though because this is a really nice scent.

The number of this one is unknown as it’s a swap frimp. In bottle: Somehow, this smells of rain and cake. I’m guessing there’s a lot of grapefruit in there too, and musk. Wet: Rich wet loam and grapefruit. I’m imagining breakfast on a covered patio with tea and grapefruit, the rain soaking into a late spring garden. It’s oddly sexy. Dry: Mostly Dorian, with a cream/grapefruit edge and maybe cake.