Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
awesomeoverlord

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v1

VII

In the bottle: Heavy on the Dorian, I sense a little bit of light floral as well and a bit of an extra citrusy edge, though that may just be because it's fresh and I'm used to my Dorian with a few extra months on him.

Wet: Dear Dorian went strolling through a garden and had a little roll in the meadow --it's that delectable sweet tea vibe, but coated in pollen, and honey, and soft golden flowers.

Dry: Dorian settles back into his old ways. The sweet musky goodness I've learned to expect from him begins to emerge upon drydown -- it's not as cologney as I'm used to Dorian being -- perhaps those soft florals are smoothing it out a bit. There's something familiar in here...I swear it's gotta be chrysanthemums -- I got a couple of bottles of Flowering 'Mums in this same order and now that I smell them side by side, I definitely sense that same dry spicy floral in this blend. Like a sexy tea party in a blooming English garden -- complete with a good cuppa, some crumpets and a good serving of naughtiness with a not-so-proper Victorian gentleman on a bed of pretty yellow flowers.

Final verdict: YUMMY. For realz. I'm starting to think my bottles fornicated en route and produced this concoction all on their own because the more I sniff it, the more it seems like the love child of my sweet Dorian and my newest Shunga fling. Perfect! :yum:

I am so excited to have gotten these so quickly. My wedding is in one week and they arrived in time to add impies to my bridesmaid's gifts! Yea! I bought 2 each of Dorian, O, and Snake Oil.

Dorian XXIX:

In the bottle, Grave Yard Dirt with a faint bit of sweet Dorian.

On my arm, the Dorian is coming out above the deep earthiness.

Sadly, it settles into mostly moss. While moss is pretty to look at, I don't want to smell like it. *pout*

About an hour later, there's some pencil shavings in there. Complete with graphite dust.

Dorian VI:

In the bottle, sharp floral, like iris, with a sweet honey background.

On my arm, not the scent for me. Some squash scent, mixed with cucumber with what makes me think of flower stamen. It changes into a sweeter, dark floral, still with some cucumber.

Neither of these are thrilling.

XXV

Sniffing the bottle, I just smell Dorian.

Once applied to my skin, there's some kind of berry note. I'm having trouble pinpointing exactly what type of berry, maybe raspberry, but not exactly. This is pretty much Dorian + Berry on my skin, wet and dry. No morphing on my skin.

Decent throw, but not overwhelming. Lasts several hours on my skin before fading. Goes a bit powdery as it fades.

The berry-like note(s) turn this into a very pleasant feminine blend.

Edited by angelicruin

XXXIII

In the bottle, this is lemon combined with Dorian's sugary vanilla. On me, it's the same, about equal parts lemon and vanilla. I know a lot of people don't like lemon, but I really like this. The lemon isn't Pledge-y at all - it's the cool, refreshing lemon from Embalming Fluid. In fact, the more that I think about it, this really does smell like a cross between Dorian and Embalming Fluid. Yum! It's the sweet citrus candy smell that I was hoping Teenage Cannibal would provide but didn't deliver. I know I'll be wearing this all Summer long.

L:

In Bottle: The Dorian is… really smelling debauched. It’s a little like dorian is lolling about drunk on hard lemonade, trying to sober himself a little with cream tea. There is something wickedly herbal in there too, which I’m not identifying. Weirdly sharp. Wet: The tea really comes out. It’s mostly lemony tea, with herbs. It’s a little like Embalming fluid and Dorian got together to make sweet, sweet love. Dry: The musk and vanilla come out in time and do tasty things. I am now totally imagining Herbert West/Dorian scent slash. Rawr! Geek and dandy forbidden steampunk love. It definitely gets more cologne like in general with wear.

CXII--

In the bottle this is not like Dorian at all--cucumber I think, and something herbal, maybe lemongrass? It's a bit lemony, but not in a citrus way, if that makes sense.

On, there is something floral that comes out--I don't really have anything floral to compare it to, and I have no idea what it is. When it's dry it smells sort of cool and clean, with that floral note a bit more subdued but still there. I am getting a bit more Dorian like vanilla sweetness, but not much. I may or may not keep this--floral is not really my thing, though it is not unpleasant here. This could be really nice in the summer.

XV (15)

In the bottle: Juicy dark strawberry musk

On skin: The strawberry is fading and leaving behind vanilla musk. Very dark. Weird how the berry note is totally gone now. Almost resiny at this point. (after a few minutes) -- Strawberry is back, but very light under the dark dark musky vanilla. More like a hint of strawberry.

:wub:

Edited by TwilightEyes

CI

Wet: Clove, ginger, strong black tea; it smells a lot like chai without milk. Dry, it's still very spicy but there's more of the musk and tea from Dorian with a tiny hint of pine. Very masculine, which Dorian isn't on me. It's really quite nice, without being something I want to smell of personally.

ETA: and it lasts forever. The Dorian is long gone but the spices are still around after a shower.

ETA 2010: This is a year old now, and the cinnamon I wasn't positive was in it has developed a lot. It actually tingles like a lip venom when I put it on. The hyper-masculinity has died down some, but wow, spicy.

Edited by pacifick

CXXI

This smells very heavy on the Dorian in the bottle.. but it's like Dorian with a hint of cloves. :wub: On wet it's Dorian with spiced roses. Once dry it smells a LOT like Port Royal.. which is funny because I also got that in the same order and wore it last night.. so I keep thinking I'm having BPAL deja vu :lol: Unfortunately it fades pretty quickly, but it is totally lovely. I think I'll probably layer it with some straight up Dorian for added longevity.

EEK! My number rubbed off my bottle! :ack: All I can tell is it starts with LX :(

It's gorgeous, though...and I LOVE it.

In the bottle it's STRONG citrus...I couldn't decide it it was lemon or lime...my husband says lime...with just a touch of sweetness to it.

This strong citrus smell is all I get in the bottle, no hint of Dorian whatsoever.

Same is true on my skin wet.

Once it's on my skin and dried down, though, it's beautiful, wonderful, gorgeous Dorian with a sweet shot of strong lime or lemon or limon...or whatever that delectable citrusness is!

Like a wonderful summer tea concoction...very bright and refreshing.

I imagine this one being amazing for bright, sunny summer days.

It's really quite beautiful! I wish the numbers hadn't rubbed off it, though :(

XI- This one is amazing...it is all the goodness of dorian...that lovely vanilla tea scent heavy on the vanilla.This dorian is blended with a merlot wine...it has that dark rich heavy wine note...so like you made a merlot wine and spiked it with lovely vanilla tea..I know this is a really different combo but it is gorgeous together...really sweetness on the dry down to reveal a bit of honey...so good...

LXXVII

I'm not so good at determining individual notes, but this strikes me as Dorian+fruit and flowers. The fruit note isn't too strong, something that blends in very well. It could easily be bergamot. The floral is one that I usually shy away from, perhaps a lily or jasmine note. Something's a bit soapy in the background, which suggests jasmine. Strangely enough, this smells more like tea than my bottle of Dorian itself does.

This is lovely. It smells like ultra-girly shampoo, but (and I never thought I'd say this) in a good way.

(I either have really weird luck, or the lab is tricksy. My order also had a bottle of Gennivre, and this CT seems like a cross between Gennivre, minus the mint, and Dorian.)

ETA: After trying out Hairy Toad Lily, the floral is definitely lily. Not the exact not of Hairy Toad Lily, because it isn't so sweet, but something in that family. Also, the soapiness seems to be dissipating quite nicely even after just a few weeks, which makes me wonder about amber. Amber always smells like Dial on me for a while, although if it's here it isn't much.

Edited by jrk1857

LIV

This smells like a lighter version of Dorian. Like Dorian's younger brother.

In the bottle: Its Dorian with a faint citrus scent.

On wet: The citrus gives Dorian a playful air. It definitely has throw.

Dry down: The citrus gradually fades into the background and blends marvelously with Dorian.

I can definitely see myself wearing this a lot this summer.

LXXXIX (89)

I admit that when I first sniffed this I couldn't distinguish it from regular Dorian, though comparing them one after the other now, there is a difference. But what is it?

I think it might have a strong bergamot note. In fact it's a bit as though someone splashed The Dormouse over Dorian. Overall the feeling is a sort of Dorian Earl Grey. The bergamot is very light, a refreshing splash...and then, well, the Dorianness of the blend is a bit stronger than my regular bottle. Since I like Dorian and have made a big dent in my 4-year-old bottle of the same, I like having a back-up bottle of something slightly stronger and with that nice hit of bergamot. Seriously, if I just convince myself it's Dorian Earl Grey I am very happy.

LXXXVII (87)

In the bottle: Smells pretty much just like regular Dorian does. I don't own a bottle of regular bottle of Dorian and last time I sniffed it was a while ago and it was an aged bottle, so my perspective may be a bit skewed. I keep thinking I can smell some sort of other element behind everything but I just can't pin it down. Maybe some kind of fruit?

Wet: There's definitely something else in the mix here. It's very faint and hiding behind all the sugared tea and lemon.

Drying: I think it might be fig. As I'm sitting here sniffing my wrists every 5 seconds, I'm getting very Carnal-esque vibes from this smell. Carnal was FIG with citrus undertones on me so maybe the lemon tea-ness of Dorian with a fig mystery ingredient would simulate that.

Dry: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's fig. Figgy Dorian. Not bad. I know I like my Dorian aged better than fresh so I'll let this get some time on it in the bottle box but I do like this better than Dorian on it's own.

Edited by unlaced

XLVI (46)

In the bottle, this smells like geranium to me with a touch of tea. Wet on my skin, this is very much a geranium scent. Did I mention that I don't really like geranium? Behind that is a lovely freshness though, like lemon tea, so I think this may be light on the Dorian with geranium and some extra lemon.

This doesn’t change much as I wear it after a while… lots of geranium and lemon, with a little bit of tea. It’s very bright and fresh smelling with just a little Dorian.

CCVI (206)

In the bottle this smells like lime and musky, powdery sugar. Immediately on my skin I get a lot of lime, plus herbs and a light amount of Dorian. This might have a little extra lavender in it as it smells a lot like lime plus Lilith Victoria on me, minus the Snake Oil. It has that herbal citronella-like combo that I get from LV.

After a while this loses just about all the lime, and the herbal note fades a little, blended very well with the Dorian notes. I thought it was lavender, but now I think what I've been smelling is almost herbal orchid. The orchid note is dry, however, and not very sweet. The Dorian is just in the background of the scent.

Edited by Delirium1009

LXXIV (74)

I have worn this twice, and as nearly as I can make out it's just Dorian and a little ginger root. Of course, because I don't really like Dorian I don't have any handy to compare (I love Lilith Victoria, against all expectations, so I thought I'd take a chance on a Dorian Chaos blend or two), but first on I get a tremendous wet hit of very butch musk (which is why I don't like regular Dorian -- the musk is pervasive and bordering on obnoxious, with my chemistry, and I don't want to smell like over-excited boy, thank you. :lol: ). After a minute or two it's sort of gingerbread musk, but not that gingery, really; almost not enough to say this is different from the way I remember Dorian smelling. The rest is true to Dorian form - fades very quickly and randomly belches out another small cloud of manly musk long after I thought it had got down to the faintest vanilla sweetness.

Oh, well, you win some, you don't win some. Maybe this will get more interesting and less butch with a little age on it. :D

Okay, as I had never smelled Dorian before, but liked the sound of the description, I went ahead and ordered three of these with an imp of the regular Dorian as reference.

XCIV

In the bottle: this one has a hint of floral, I'm just not sure what type of floral. I can eliminate jasmine as that tends to make me go ugh, as well as lilac and rose.

On me: still can not tell what it is that's in there, but it lends a bit of freshness to the blend that I don't think the original Dorian has. Makes it a little less sweet, I think.

Overall: I like it. It's like a sweet floral, without being overwhelming.

CIX

In the bottle: This has a definite citrus tang to it.

On me: At first I thought this might be lemon, but as of the third application of this, I think it might be lime. It's not as sharp as lemon and a bit of a green smell that reminds me slightly of key lime pie. It smells delicious. However, after a while it starts going a little wonky as happens with citrus and my skin chemistry. Not wonky enough to wash it off though.

Overall: it's alright. Not my favorite out of the three, but something that I would wear again.

ETA: After a few more days, a pine note has popped out of this. I tried it on the husband to see how it would smell on him. Dorian disappeared almost completely on him and left just the pine and the lime. A weird scent to be sure. I'll have to try it on myself.

CXV

In the bottle: very sweet! There might be cake in here, but I'm not sure. It reminds me a bit of the cake in Eat Me.

On me: still very sweet, but after a while it tones down. After sniffing it quite a bit I realize that it reminds me of something. Like Snow White. I put some Snow White on one arm and this blend of CT on the other. At first, the similarities are almost nill. But after about an hour the CT blend begins to smell similar to Snow White. Not exact, but kind of like the darker version of Snow White. I even had the husband smell both of them to make sure I wasn't crazy and he thought that they smelled similar as well.

Overall: This is my favorite out of the three which is a surprise to me as when I first sniffed it I thought it might be too sweet. Also, I think I might like it as an alternative to Snow White, which has a habit of being a bit sharp on my skin. Blasphemy, I know.

I think that this is really fun. It was my first Chaos Theory and I think I might have to try the next one. :D

Edited by amanderinorange

These are the first Chaos Theories that I have ever bought from the lab!! Yay!

Disclaimer: I am not really good at picking out notes unless I know what I am looking for. These are my best guesses...

CCXXI

This is definitely a lemon Dorian. There is also something slightly herbally in here, but I am not sure what it is exactly. Lavender? Yes, now that it is drying I get a sweet/herbal vanilla lavender. Ooooh!! Mmmmm!

CCXXXII

Definitely smell the Dorian! Mmmmm!

At first it smells like a Dorian cake. Sugar, cake, and possibly a little butterscotch? Later it dries into normal vanilla lemon Dorian. On the complete dry down, I smell only tea. Not really my type of thing, so it is going to swaps.

CXCVII - What fun! A Victorian Mad Tea Party...Dorian with a twist of lime and a crispy plate of madelines.

ETA - After wearing it in my locket all day I get a good dollop of honey too. I think the honey + vanilla maybe what is reading as cookies.

Edited by isisonearth

CLXXX i think - the silver paint pen is coming off pretty bad, and everytime i touch the label it fades a little more.

sniff: Dorian plus what smells like lemongrass and apricot :sick:

kinda reminds me of the scent of Lush's Humango. i can't wait for this bottle to find a better home!

editing to add the bottle i picked up at WC last night:

CCCVII

Dorian and a mid-range musk (not white, not red), i think. but it reminds me of The Oval Portrait a whole lot, so maybe it is the "vanilla musk" instead. it feels like a mix of Love's Philosophy, The Oval Portrait & Dorian. interesting!

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

CIII - Tokyo Stomps Dorian! Tea and vanilla mint...it almost wants to get plasticky a half hour or so into the drydown, but it's so lovely I just refuse to accept it.

I want to get more of these, but 1.) I can't afford 'em and 2.) I don't think I could end up with a nicer scent.

XLVII

In the bottle: Could this be what I hope it is? What I was really, really wishing for? Is this -- CITRUS Dorian?

On, wet: Okay, so it's lemon! Clean, bright, tart lemon and lots of it. This. Smells. So. Good. Like Dorian made an Arnold Palmer out of his tea. It totally changes the smell -- makes it cleaner and more like springtime.

On, dry: Tangy citrus with just a hint of a musky base. It's really so delicious and such a comforting smell. I can see myself either 1) wearing this all summer or 2) hoarding this like a madwoman.

CCVV (I think the 3rd letter could be an X)

In the Bottle: Whoa! Sweet, sweet caramel and no trace of Dorien.

Wet: Still no Dorian. The sweetness of the caramel has lessened and another note is starting to surface. Something a little smokey, it almost reminds me of the pepper-smoked caramel note.

Dry: The caramel has faded, leaving only soft, sweet sugar. I'm getting a smokey, spicy note that reminds me of something but for the life of me I cannot think what! Nutmeg maybe? Suprising it doesn't make me want to start sneezing.

Verdict: Nutmeg dusted Caramel. I don't really care for the sweet, foody scents so this is going into my swaps.

Edit: I've got it! It's a caramel chai tea!

Edited by ealasaid86

A bit sweeter than straight Dorian. I suspect it may be a mild fruit...something like pear? Plus licorice!

Pear and licorice Dorian. Mild, sweet, not cloying, and the throw is about what I am used to from Dorian; that is, it is enough for me to smell, but, not more than an occasional faint whiff for those around me. Very nice, and I like it.

The licorice didn't last very long at first, but, Dorian gets better on me with a little bit of age on it. I expect this one will as well.