Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v2

CVII - smells a bit like Lupanar when wet. Soft, waxy honey and ylang ylang?

As it dries I get the sense of dragon's blood and rose. The oil is a very pale orange, so that supports the notion of a dribble of dragon's blood. It is not too strong, but since the other notes are note so assertive, it's noticeable. It adds a very faint cherry note and a sticky, brittle resin quality to balance the honey.

A little while later it smells more like regular O, in the sense of baby powder with vanilla. Still debating whether there's a tea rose present. (It's light, and it feels distinctly pink, whatever it is. Definitely not red rose, nor does it remind me of the lab's white rose. It might not even be rose.) No longer get any sense of ylang ylang, but there is definitely some kind of smooth floral present. Maybe a hint of lily.

There's something else, a bit sweet and grounding. I initially thought almond, but it definitely ISN'T. I think it's hazelnut, but faint.

A bit similar to Democrat, but less obviously floral. Still reminds me of Lupanar.

So in conclusion: regular O + dragon's blood, hazelnut and a few faint, smooth florals. Very nice, very light and springy.

Edited by naeelah

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v2: The O Series</i> - CCCLXXXII / 382

Flowers, flowers. Lilac? Gardenia? I don't know. The flowers are overwhelming and I'm not sure I can even smell the O.

ETA: I gave this Chaos another try. I stand by my initial guess of lilac, and I might even add carnation to that. And lily, maybe. But there's definitely a spicy bit here, which led me to carnation, but it could be something else. I like the spicy edge, it makes the honey seem more 'whole' and doesn't go powdery as soon as usual. So. There it is. Surprisingly nice, especially after my initial reaction, but still not a favorite.

Edited again to add further possiblities: dandelion, sweet pea. I'm feeling more sure of the carnation, though. Or maybe it's sweet pea. :think:

Edited by Gin

Mine has no number? What up?

But who cares because it's O + Hand of Glory. Candle-smokey, beeswaxy, sweet sweet vanilla lovins all around and I'm wearing it every day. All faded out now (I applied at 7am, it's now 4pm) is when it's at its best, I cannot even describe this but I feel all orgasmic rollaround. Thank you LAB!

CCXCVI - 296

Sniffed: Warm peach-coloured oil. Sweet, almost fruity, super-honeyed O. Possibly a white grape note. Almost syrupy in its sweetness.

Wet: Now I get more of a berry feel, almost (?) - though white grape is still my best guess. Something slightly smoky/incensey, and LOADS of O.

Dry: Definitely some sort of resin or incense note (copal comes to mind). Smoky, and I get some beeswax too which probably contributes to the strong honey vibe. The smoky resin cuts the sweetness a bit, though.

Later: More amber emerging, but not going powdery. The resin/incense has amped to an insane degree. It's not quite as smoky as copal but it has a definite evergreen component. The amber is also very strong, but not typically O-ish - it's very perfumey but not at all powdery.

Summary: Balsam, frankincense, and benzoin over honey galore and rich beeswax with lightly plasticky vanilla. Final drydown reminds me ALOT of No. 93 Engine, with a bit of honeyed amber thrown in. There's also an oddly (but pleasantly) salty note. Great throw.

I have two bottles, but I've only tried one so far.

CDLXXXVI

In the bottle: Reminds me of something. It's sweet, fruity. I don't know. I just know this smell from somewhere. It's yummy, like candy!

Wet: It's Haribo Happy Cola candy!! I want to eat it not wear it.

Dry: It's a bot too sweet and sugary for me. I like the taste of the candy, but I don't really want to smell like it. I feel sticky now because of association. :(

Overall: Not too sure about this one. Will give it another try. Didn't really smell the O in there, but yummy anyway. Might use it in my oil burner instaed.

CCCXIX

In the bottle: Every time I smell it, it smells differently. Slightly woody, slightly foody, a bit of cinnamon. Really it smells like O, but slightly off, as if there was too much of one note.

Wet: Cinnamon cake. Gingerbread. Spicy. Very foody. Now I'm worried that it will burn because one of those, or all of those, makes my skin burn. I'll wait.

Dry: Not burning. Definite cinnamon. It's cinnamon candy or cake. The O is making it foody. I want to eat it, not wear it.

Overall: I Love cinnamon, but don't want to smell like it. Luckily, after about a 1/2 hour it's just spicy O, so I'll keep this. I like the first stages, it smells good, but it's not really something I'd normally wear.

CDLXXI - decant - soft vanilla and amber, honey and a very fast fading fruit - pear or apple - pretty, but the unique elements fade fast

CCCLXV - decant - vanilla and amber and honey - plus some sort of white floral that fades fast, and skin musk that lingers - also pretty, the amber gets lost in this one

CDLXI - decant - vanilla, sugar and nutmeg/cinnamon - very pretty, nutmeg is strong and steady over time

Edited by bastlynn

In the bottle: This smells exactly like Wensleydale--a clean, vaguely cottony skin scent. Weird. This scent doesn't seem to have any relationship to O. My imp of O is so strong that I can usually smell it from across the room.

Wet on skin: Faint amber and honey with a tiny hint of spice

Dry on skin: Spicier, and the honey is overtaking the amber. The blend is still quite faint, so this will be a good one for hot weather.

I shall christen this blend A Summertime O. :bunnyluv:

CCLVII - decant

First Sniffage: Honey/amber

Aha! After much huffing of the arm, I have at least figured out what else I'm smelling - some type of white floral. It blends with the honey/amber quite nicely. However, it's not my type of scent, so off to swaps it goes.

CLXXIV- 174.

When I first sniffed the bottle, the O was strong and I was pumped. Freshly on, I smelled honeyed roses, but then, oh then, that powdered candy Tums-like scent that is what Gladdener of All Hearts is on me. I was SO crushed. I'd expected to love Gladdener, since its note list was so dreamy and so me. I thought I'd have to swap it. But in the time that this oil's been sitting in my perfume box, that Sweet Tarts note's gone away, and left a scent I'm much happier with. It's a Gladdener I can wear. Thanks, Lab!

O time! My bottles, straight from the lab:

CCXCVII: Wet, it smells like O + Leo on me! Kind of orangey and sweet, but with a hint of something else well-blended. However, after it dries a bit, the orangeyness fades away, leaving mostly just O. O usually turns kinda weird on me, so I don't know if I am going to keep it. I will call this one "Le-O"

CCCXXXIV: In this blend, O takes a backseat to lime. Or should I say LIME. Hint of greenness and sugariness, like a mojito without the alcohol. This will be/would be great for summer, if I decide to keep it). I dub this one "Mojit-O" (okay, sorry about the bad puns! I promise not to do any more)

Acquired from a sales post, half full:

CCXVI: Was described as light citrus- mango and peachy O (kinda like a tropical breeze rather than in-your-face pina colada).

Wet, it smells almost exactly like Tiki Queen on me. I get that same Sweet tarts smell (although I think I can smell a hint of O underneath, but I may just be imagining it. Once it dries down, some kind of tropical floral comes out...gardenia + maybe something else? It smells lovely, fruity and exotic, but I am not a gardenia fan so I don't think I will keep this one.

Can't make out the Roman numerals on the bottle.

In vial: OH MY! Rich, sweet honey-amber goodness, swathed in the nicest sort of floral notes, but still predominantly honey and amber. Can't wait to put it on my skin! *grabs cotton bud*

Wet on skin: the oil is amber-pink in colour, and quite thin in consistency. The O is identifiable, but it's O+. O with flowers, powdery-er than O is on me, sweeter - but the sweetness is more sugar than honey (which often goes nasty on my skin). Could it be O with sugared flowers? I love this!

Dry on skin: hmmmm. Fresh O gets a slightly "off" note on my skin, and it's developing here too. Still wearable, though. *waits* No change. It was better in the bottle, but it's OK on my skin too. The flowers have all but wafted away, and it's mostly O now. I'll be keeping this one.

Later: this really rounds out on my skin after a while. There is an occasional waft of fresh wildflowers, which combine with the dark honey to remind me of Mead Moon, and it's all grounded in rich amber. At times it's almost-but-not-quite chocolatey! I usually assume that scents that improve on the drydown will also age well, which is good news!

CXXXVI

This one has a bit of spicy floral in it. Am I smelling carnation? Maybe geranium?

Gah, I am so bad at this.

No number. Seems to be a problem with this CT? Honey, leather and tobacco. One of the most gorgeous things I have ever smelled in my life. How I'm going to replace it when it runs out (and it will run out, I can't not wear it), I do not know.

Mine is number LXXXIX. It's almost pronouceable :P.

Disclaimer: I tried an imp of O about a billion times and finally gave up on it. It just wasn't good on me like it is on so many. I thought maybe a few other ingredients might help, similar to how some people love the Snake Pit but hate Snake Oil.

On me: There's something sinus-clearing in this. Yep, it smells exactly like Vicks Vaporub. I don't smell any honey or anything else, and now my nose is tingling. Good thing I just got a decant!

CXXXV

I find that this is very O, but with a soft herbal mixed in. the result is the amber, honey, vanilla soften the scent to a creamy herbal.

A wonderful scent, but too soft for me. I like to be able to smell myself!! :lol:

XVII

Sniffing the bottle, it's a creamy floral amber.

Applied on my skin wet, it's O + Rose with a bit of green note to it. Not much of a morpher on me. Scent remains pretty true from wet to dry on my arm. The amber and vanilla really temper the floral. This is a beautiful light, faintly sweet floral blend.

I completely concur. This is my first Chaos Theory and my first sniff at the base fragrance O, and although it wasn't unpleasant, it wasn't wild (like I was expecting for some reason) or unexpected in any way. A nice light sweet floral blend.

No number?

I'm kind of disappointed because so far I've loved the lab honey note, but this is a different honey -heavier and cloying.

It's floral, but while I was hoping for something similar to flower moon the honey here just eats the flowers and leaves behind a sticky foody mess :(

After a (long) while the sweetness fades a bit, but this is still not a scent for me.

Edited by inkaddict

XCV - 95

In the bottle - Honey and some sort of soft fruit, possibly with a hint of carnation, overlaying the undeniable sex of O

Wet on me - The predomninant scent is the O, but with a sprinkling of sugared carnations

Dry on me - The thick warmth of O with added layers of honey and carnation :yum:

Overall - O, but better. A real winner.

CXX

My imp contains oil that is a dark color, almost an olive green. I have no idea what is in the vial but it is NASTY. Sour, like something spoiled. And what makes it worse is that the O (one of my favorite scents) wafts in and out of the sourness.

I didn't like either of these when I first got them, so I let them age for a while... which as it turns out was a good idea!

XXIX

This is very sharp, green and with an odd floral tone to it. It remined me of super expensive facial cleanser; not exactly perfumed, but with that weird kind of expensive 'clean' smell to it. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of 'O' in it; it just smells like Lancome to me.

XL

This is wonderful! Almost like 'O' mixed with 'Alice'. It's a little sweeter and smoother than 'O', with more honey and a dash of rose. The rose was really strong when I first got it, but it's mellowed out nicely. While not my perfect scent ever, it has elements from two of my best loved BPAL oils, so I'm very happy with it :)

Chaos Theory V-Recursive Self Similarity-“O”Series

LVIII-58

Definition of recursive-pertaining to or using a rule or procedure that can be applied repeatedly.

A while back (2009) I tried this several times to get a sense of what I was smelling. I failed miserably. :eek:

I still think I’m going to fail miserably because although I think I have a good sense of smell my olfactory discernment is incredibly limited. I hope that I get my sh*t together to send imps of my CT’s to people on this forum who have the sophistication to tell me what they smell because I’m so very limited in this fashion. :blush:

In ANY case..I will do my best.

Disclaimer: I think I’ve only smelled O once so I don’t have a lot to base my impressions on.

Sniffed from bottle: Beachy O; best way I can describe it. It’s that honey sweetness intermingled with an accord that I identify with BPAL scents that are “beachy”. The vibe to me here is laid back and casual.

There’s no salty seawater or any ozone notes here..but this blend reminds me a bit of Pirate Moon.. or maybe Jolly Roger…just a tad. Am thinking that maybe this has a touch of bay rum in here? :unsure:

I found an imp of Baron Samedi and took a sniff; I’m pretty sure what I’m smelling my CT is bay rum.

Applied wet on skin: Same as in the bottle; just reminds me of summer..a relaxing day at the beach.

Couple of minutes on skin: It’s become very much a skin scent..not very assertive in it’s throw..still keeping the initial elements but it’s muted a bit.

10+minutes: More muted echoes of O intermingled with my skin..again the feeling of this is a laid back/slightly sweet/beachy fragrance.

Dry(30+minutes):This is still wafting out nicely; it’s more the “O” elements but underneath that is what I think is bay rum.

Throw is average and lasting power clocked in at about 4+hours

Bottom Line: It’s unisex and makes me think o warmer weather; honeyed beachy bay rum is what I come away with. I’m not in love but I do like it.

I think the bottle says CCXXVI? it's slightly faded and hard to read.

In the bottle: It gives me that faint Dr. Pepper-ish vibe that I sometimes get from Black Phoenix

On Skin: It goes dark musky fast! I'm really not good at picking out notes, but it's fairly smoky and almost a little furry?

10 minutes later: It's starting to go a little powdery, and somewhat earthy on me. The dark smoke feel is still there, but has faded considerably.

Other's thoughts: the bf says I smell like saspirilla bark!

Final thoughts: This was my first chaos, and I'm glad I tried it. I'm going to hold onto it for a bit, since my first impression is that it's a little dark for me, so it's not something I would automatically reach for....but sometimes I need to smell a little dark ;)

CXXXIV

Wet, this just smells odd. I can't describe it other than to say that it smells like dried saliva.

On drydown... the weird smell is getting stronger and it is making me sick.

Fortunately, I got a phone call right as I was getting up to go wash it off. After about 10 minutes, that odor evaporates and it is now just honey and amber with a little bit of vanilla in the background. While it is pleasant now, the end result is not worth the stink in the beginning.