Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dorothy humbird

The Apple of Sodom

Native to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, this fruit turns to ashes when plucked as a sign of God’s displeasure.

Green apple with an herbal background. Eh. Boring. Swapping.

First Sniff: Very tart green apple.

Wet: There’s a smokiness on top of the fresh apple smell.

Dry: As it dried, the initial sharp tartiness died down into regular ol’ sour apple. It reminds me of the sour apple Jolly Rancher. The overall smell was faint though.

My Reaction: Once it dried completely I was still getting light Jolly Rancher with smoke over top of it. I like this, however, like most BPAL scents, it’s really light smelling on me. Perhaps I’m not slathering on enough with only 3 passes from the wand thinger?

Rating 1-5: 2.5

In the imp: Very apple, very very apple. Something unpleasant too, a chemical sting.

On wet: More of the same...reminds me of a shampoo I used to use.

On dry: Sharp, alkaline, apple shampoo. This was an expensive shampoo, mind you, but still...not really what I want with apples. A definite alkaline edge to it. A shame, I love foodie scents, but this is not for me.

Off to swaps!

Got this as a frimp at some point, and rescued it from Sunlitgarden's swap pile. Finally decided to try it.

In imp: A pleasant apple, with hints of flowers and maybe something darker underneath.

Wet/Drydown: Sour apple. Throat-constricting, almost eye-watering levels of sour. Thankfully it stayed close to my skin.

Later: In time, the tartness quieted down and what I got was a blank apple scent. Not bad, but it reminds me of the cheap shower gels I used to get. No hint of the lovely-sounding mint and/or ash. Back in the swap-box it goes.

Edited by sunstone

In the Imp: Wow! Crisp, juicy green apple! (I don't know how I know that it's green, but I do) And something bitterly herbal underneath.

Wet: Soft, slightly herbal green apple. I think this is the first apple scent I've tried.

Drydown: Sweet, ashy apple. It's still soft apple goodness, but with a slightly smoky, ashy edge.

Verdict: Surprisingly, I actually quite like this. My nose battles with this scent for a while, it tries to turn every fresh apple scent into washing up liquid. But this is nice.

3/5

In the imp: Oh, it's apple-y (yes, I'm making that a word), and tart at that.

Wet on skin: Very green tart apples, like Granny Smith. Hummm, seems like there is a floral in the background - it's a light, fresh floral.

Drydown: The apple calms down a bit, but the florals seem to come to the front, making this blend seem to go a little soapy.

I was hoping to keep the tart green apple for the total wear on this blend. But instead, the florals took over, along with a soapy component which didn't really sit well with my chemistry. Also, the blend as a whole was a little high pitched on my skin, bordering on headache inducing. Alas, this scent isn't for me.

In the imp it's a wonderful, bright apple scent, and I think, "Maybe it's enough like Hesperides to be a good alternative." But on, as it dries, the apple fades away and all that's left is a clean scent with a bit of a soapy feel to it. It's very pleasant, just not what I would typically choose to smell like perfume-wise (on the other hand, were this a soap scent, it would be wonderful).

Fresh apples in the bottle. Goes on like biting into a fresh apple — the real juice of the fruit, not "apple juice." I love this so far! This softens into apple blossoms. Not getting any smoke or ash. Finishes as Salon Selectives.

I think this originally came to me as a lab frimp.

In the imp, The Apple of Sodom is a very "juicy" smelling apple to me, with an edge that's almost boozy. I wouldn't call it a tart green apple, it's probably closer to the reddish-green apple varieties I like that are somewhat sweet like Gala and Fuji. It's like it might be starting to ferment into cider, though it's not fully there.

Skin test patch: Still juicy apple when wet.

Apple scents tend to fade fast on my skin, and this is almost gone after 15 minutes. Good while it lasts, though.

Wet this is pure Granny Smith apple. If I sniff real hard I can pick up something slightly sweeter and herbal underneath.

dry this is pretty much gone. Within minutes. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Purchased in a lab offsale via eBay. I'm not an apple-scent person, on the whole, but I couldn't resist the name.

In the bottle: Apple peel. I can smell the skin. A coolness and freshness.

Wet: Interesting! First a clean soapiness joins the apple -- maybe a faint high-pitched floral? A candy sweetness.Then there's a sharp smokiness. Between them - soap and smoke -- the two kind of dissolve the apple. Just a sweet ghost remains.

I'm not converted to apple scents, but I think I'll keep this as my one apple scent with the awesome name and the witty construction.

I love BPAL's apple scents, so am clearly biased but I love this. I'm in the pure, fresh, granny smith apple skin camp which is fine by me. It does pull a vanishing act and become skin washed with very posh apple soap after a bit but I'm a little and often applier anyway.

Can totally see why an apple SN result would be disappointing for some but for me this will be amazing for layering. Will definitely be grabbing a bottle.

The Apple of Sodom (imp)

Wet: Tart green apple, like a freshly cut granny smith with something slightly floral, maybe a "fake" apple smell almost

Dry/30 mins later: Slightly sour, floral green apple.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the ash, but maybe the sweetness of the apple overpowers it. I will probably give this away

Maybe it's a holdover from my younger days of Bath & Body Works Country Apple, but I keep trying Apple scents only to be very disappointed. This one is very appley, so it's not working for me - it's definitely a red apple and there is a darker quality - ashy or poisonous like the description warrants, but that is up close to the nose. Otherwise, it's JUICY RED APPLE IN YO' FACE!

Lab fresh imp, colorless oil. In the imp, it smells like herbal green apples. Wet on skin, it goes sharp and tart. After it dries the apple note sweetens up and takes on a foggy, perfumey character. It's all right, but not amazing.

In the imp: Juicy golden apples, bitter herbs, and the leaves of the apple trees themselves.

Wet: This is an apple orchard, with the golden apples still on the trees. I can smell the juicy, golden apples, the tree bark, and the green leaves. Leaf notes can be problematic for me, but they aren't causing problems for me here. I also think there are some herbs present in this scent, making me reevaluate this being an apple orchard... now, it has more of a garden feel.

Dry: I'm getting more of the tree bark than I did during the wet phase, but the golden apple note is still a main player – just not as strong as before, and it has lost its juicy quality. After a while, all that remains is a bit of sweetness from the apple (which no longer smells apple-y) and a smoky resin (must be the ash, but I'm reminded of myrrh).

Verdict: I like that this featured a golden apple note and didn't end up being too sweet, but ultimately, the dry phase with the smoky resin and a bit of sweetness from the apple isn't really me. I'm glad I got to try it, though!

Grain of salt: My skin tends to amp the sweetness in things, so keep that in mind.

At first it is a green apple, not too tart, but not too sweet.  A little floral, a little green grassy.  Just very innocent and green.  Then my skin chemistry takes control and it amps the sweetness to high heavens.  It goes very sweet, almost cloying.  There's a background of soapiness.  After hanging for awhile (get it), it turns into apple bubblegum soap.  It's almost BBW apple, but more soapy.