Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
twilighteyes

Eanach Dhuin

Unutterable grief expressed through the scent of balsam, frankincense, blackberry leaf, oud, white rose, driftwood, zdravetz, and bitter clove, beneath the cold waters of the River Corrib.

This one really shines on my skin, which is great because fresh aquatics often turn soapy on me. A woody, herby, complex aquatic, like a forested riverbank. The clove becomes more prominent as it dries, but it's well-behaved, melancholy and maybe even a little menacing. Edited by aislingeach

What a difference a couple of months makes...the first time I tried this decant, it was very generic aquatic with just a hint of frankincense. The drydown today has some many new depths and nuances. The rose blends so well with the oud and a bit more green from the banks of the River. But the star for me is the bitter edge of clove spicing the wood...its drawing me in for a closer look at what lies underneath that river bank...

Not too bad for something with a significant fresh water note. It's not soapy, just unexciting. The white rose and frankincense that I love in White Rose are just as gorgeous in Eanach Dhuin, but overall the blend is a bit duller.

So, resin and rose with clean water and a touch of spice. The clove (very "chai tea," this clove) and aquatic notes interact interestingly-- it's an unexpected combination, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's fairly gender neutral to me.

I have to admit, I wasn't sure about this at the beginning. It smells good but I wasn't sure it was really for me. It starts out with this bright, chilly blast of cold aquatic notes, very bracing, and kind of a traditional cologne smell. However, this only lasts about 10 or 15 minutes. After that, the aquatic fades back, and what's left is mostly frankincense. I guess I amp frankincense or something, because the same thing happens with Valentine Of Rome....straight up frankincense. If I use my imagination here, I can start to pick out the other notes, but no rose (which is okay with me). I do think I can pick out the woods and a touch of clove.

Overall, I like this. It turns out to be mostly frankincense with just enough background notes to make it more interesting. So, I'm glad I held onto it! I'm wearing it at work right now, and it's a nice, subtle and somewhat smokey/woody scent.

This reminds me somewhat of Irish Spring, except more complex. The cold rushing waters and surrounding evergreens are definitely there, but unlike the soap there's a dark side to this fragrance, and you know me and anything with a dark side :twisted: I think that mainly the clove, oude, and frankincense are responsible for this wonderful depth, and for anyone afraid of rose, I didn't get any at all. Eanach Duin is very much like a night during that transitional time between winter and spring when the snow is just starting to melt into damp earth and river waters are bursting through the ice again.

Imp: Frankincense and... herbs de provence? I'm not getting any of the listed notes other than a little bit of frankincense and some aquatic notes.

Wet: Sweet fancy Moses! I smell like cooking! This goes sharp, herbal and a little salty on my skin. There is a background note of dryer sheets.

Dry: It's not as horrific as the drydown suggested but Eanach Dhuin underperforms on my skin. Flat, weird aquatics and a little frankincense and white rose. The white rose is not horrific and I think I have undergone a chemistry change because white rose has worked in the last few white rose blends I've tried and it used to be horrific. There's a hint of sweetness from the blackberry leaf. It's okay. Not something I'd look for more of.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: A little boring on my chemistry. It gets better on the drydown but not good enough to really wear again.

In the bottle: Definitely watery. When I read the reviews about perfumes smelling that way, I didn't really understand what they meant but after smelling this one... wow, now I absolutely know what that means.

Wet: The notes in this are sort of blending together. I do agree with what someone else said, I get the same sort of scent of Ivory soap. Not that it smells soapy, because that's not it. Just the same scents.

Dry: Still getting the Ivory scents. Not really much else has changed from the drydown.

When I first put it on, I thought it smelled exactly like soap, and then about two minutes later it smelled exactly like cologne. A sweet, hazy, aquatic cologne. It smells cool, fresh, and clean. It's a little darker than your standard aquatic cologne -- about as rugged as something watery can smell -- and I like it.

I liked it enough that I passed the decant over to my husband, and he likes it too.

ITI: It smells like nicely scented bathroom cleaner - what's what aquatic notes tend to read as to my nose.

However, I can smell a bit of clove, oud, and zdravetz that makes it interesting enough for me to want to try it.

Wet: Slight stagnant river water, frankincense, oud, and a touch of blackberry.

Dry: I get more spice (frankincense and oud) along with wood, now with just hints of water. It is tolerable now that it is dried, but I'm still not terribly fond of aquatics.

Sour woods. bitter greens, and a dark aquatic note. Very masculine and cologney. Not for me, but glad to have gotten to try it!

A complex and sweet marine-green scent. I can smell almost all the notes - wood and florals and water. The frankincense is pretty heavy, but I love frankincense, so that's not a problem. Just gorgeous.

Edited by Whisperstilled