Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Odd!

I found this imp tucked in with my Irish Poets bottles. It has green lettering, and perfect for St. Patrick's Day, which is just around the corner.

This is definitely an 'earthy' scent, possibly some sort of resin/galbanum, not dirty in a 'dirt' or 'patchouli' sense but with a certain lightness. It's fairly hard to pin down, and I always have trouble without a note list. There's definitely blades of grass or clover, it's peeking around the top of the scent, and then that sort of smooth snappy metal note (maybe representing the gold or cast iron pot?). Oh, dude, there's De Sade leather in this at the end. Mmm.

Very intriguing. I'm going to wear this out tonight. Oh! I need to wear green!

I too am terrible at picking out notes without a list. My first impression is this is a sweet, green blend.

After applying to my skin, I think there might be some patchouli in it along with a light sweet green floral note.

In the imp: Gleaming metal and leather? I think also some vanilla, moss, white rose, and possibly frankincense.

On skin: Hasn't morphed at all. This is not grassy on me in the slightest. On the exhale I get the same tingle on the sides of my tongues that White Rose & Symmakhia give me.

Dry: Smells a lot like Miller vs California's dry down. Leather. I think Brom Bones also had this sort of feel.

This is a little on the masculine side but very lovely all the same. Thank you Beth & Laddies! (er, Labbies!)

Edited by TwilightEyes

In the imp: Green, tangy-sweet herbal at first—not grass, but it could be clover. With a deeper sniff, I can pick out some sweet white flower, possibly white clover (or white rose?), along with a metallic tang (I assume this is gold), some earthy leather and something sharper, mossy and dark green beneath—possibly peat.

On, wet: Very green and sharper than the imp smell—clover and the dark green peatmoss note. This still has a strong, tangy metallic note, and far off in the distance, I do get something that might be resinous, faint and sweet—but that could also be the floral note, because it's really light.

On, dry: Warm leather and shiny gold, with just a hint of that sharp green peat. That's a really masculine combination, but it's softened by that resin note, which is giving this a definite sweetness. Definitely cologne-like, but still with a refreshing green bite.

Later: Leather, gold and the sweet resin note (it isn't frankincense, but what IS it?). Basically unchanged, just softer and sweeter than before.

Overall: This one is on the masculine side, even for my skin, which has a tendency to make even macho scents come out girly. Yet it's lovely, and it really captures the concept, what with the metallic twang and the fresh greenery and that fabulous leather note. I'm not settled on what the sweet, sometimes-floral note is here—it could be clover, could be white rose, it could even be some kind of resin—but it's perfect for balancing out the metallic gold, fresh greens and earthy leather, giving them just enough sweetness to be light and appealing. It does indeed make me think of sunny green fields and rainbows and pots of gold.

Really fascinating and appealing. I'm so glad I got to try this one!

ETA: It's definitely a resin note adding the sweetness, which became apparent many hours later, as it lingered the longest. My guess would be some variety of amber, although not a heavy, sticky-sweet variety.

Edited by Bluestocking

I really like this wet. It's green and herbal and slightly metallic. It's sort of tricky somehow.

Dry, there's a hint of leather that I can smell if I mash my nose to my wrist. It's mostly drowned out by something that I want to say is either ambergris or black amber, which is cloyingly sweet and overpowering everything else. The greens and herbal scents are pretty much gone. It's very masculine and still has a slightly metallic tang.

It's interesting, to say the least. My skin makes everything unreasonably sweet, so that's probably why it has gone so sweet on me now. I may retest in a couple of weeks and I might kick around using this as a room scent. Otherwise, it may end up in the swaps pile for someone else to sniff and love!

I have no notion what the ingredients are, of course, but let me see... Leipreachán is not as stereotypically green as I would have expected, but it is very natural and earthy. And I think I do detect clover, though it may just be because I'm expecting something like that. There's a slight voluptuous amber fruit thing going on that reminds me a little of Hymn to Proserpine. Maybe some dandelion and honey? and... something alcoholic? Oils with alcohol notes all do a certain thing on my skin that I think I may be detecting. As a whole, the blend is a little strange and unreal. It's very layered. Fresh and dark at the same time. I'm enjoying it.

(I wonder if the Lab laughs at us when we try to guess unlisted notes and are wildly off-target? :D)

Edited by Aldercy
Merged with existing topic in Unreleased --Shollin

Leipreachan has a nice gold color in the imp, and thankfully smells nothing like I thought it would ^_^ . For some reason I was expecting bright green and sweet (lucky charms?), but I get earth and moss along with some subtle sweetness.

Very nice - I can see wearing this often.

Tee Hee, here's my trying to take a stab at some more notes... Vetiver (piece of the old sod?) and a floral not unlike Iris (?).

Well into drydown I get something "creamy" and ever so slightly sweet. Not glucose sweet. Maybe maltose sweet, IYKWIM.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I tried this at the Georgia Will Call.

It's green and a bit juicy, but with an earthy note to ground it. Wet, the earthiness is barely perceptible, but it develops into something well-rounded as it dries.

In the imp: at first this was really soapy smelling. I kept smelling it to try and pick out any other notes, but couldn't.

On me: definitely a green scent, but not a sharp green. More like moss and other soft greens. This had a stronger leather note when I first applied, but it's blended with the green. I also smell something else there. It reminds me of the ranch I used to ride horses at. Could be the metallic note that other people have picked out.

Overall: this is actually a very lovely scent. Reminds me of a cloudy, warm day at the ranch and I don't mind smelling like that at all. :D

ETA: this has turned to worn leather with a shot of metal. Definitely reminds me of saddles and bits. Not in the naughty way though. ;) Must try it on the hubby.

Edited by amanderinorange

I just received this as a "frimp" with my new order.

First thing I thought of was "Irish Spring" soap..although it's much better of course..

I guess it's along the same scent idea anyway, although I have not smelled that soap in years.

This fragrance is earthy, sweet, salty & warm all in one & it's the perfect scent for it's name :)

I get clover/grass, leather (yes like from de sade as this was another frimp I received and definitely get that similarity) some salty sea spray ..and a little green man with his pot of gold!

This is really nice and fresh, something I think a lot of people would like.

This smells green....like grass, clover, and leather. This smells like a rough, rugged, hardworking Leipreachan. :lol:

Edited by Dark Alice

Imp: Dark green cologne

Wet: Warty green and sweet. It's cool!

Drydown: Green, clean, and rugged. It's a really likeable scent, but pretty manly for my tastes

Overall: What a cool scent! This would smell amazing on a guy, but I have to say it's not too shabby on me either!

Ohhh, this is SO not for me. It was very green at first, and just proceeded to get EXTREMELY masculine. If you do not like masculine scents, this is probably not for you. After the initial green, the patchouli comes out (I really dislike patchouli) along with a smattering of other notes that give this a sharp/masculine edge. Maybe it would smell good on a real leprechaun, but not on me!

In the bottle: Light yellow oil. Very green and herbal. Mostly light and fresh, but a touch sharp - maybe a metallic tang? Slightly cologney, verging on masculine. Hint of herbal sweetness.

Wet: It reminds me vaguely of cat pee. There's definitely some of sort of musk, possibly civet. And bitter, pungent weeds - skunk weed, maybe. Slightly soapy, still very green. A little bit of clover makes this 'dewy'.

Dry: Slow to dry. It's more spicy now, definitely some carnation. Grass, perhaps? I'm almost tempted to say there's cumin, but that could just be the civet. Dandelion, and some culinary herb, maybe sage.

Later: The metal note holds really well and is not like a metal note I've smelled before - it's more acrid. I also am getting that leather note others mentioned - very worn and intense, a bit animalic, as in Western Diamondback.

Summary: There's a sort of smoky bitterness that I think is vetiver, and it, the strong leather, civet, and sharp metal note really amp over time. A bit of greenery and spicy carnation round things out. Very masculine. Strong throw & longevity.

imp: herbal, very light.

wet: a light leathery herbal. i can't stress how light it is... yet persistent.

dry: this fades pretty quickly, a soft clean scent. mostly herbal but still a hint of leather.

This is a cute yet tricky little scent.

Herbal, yet leathery, like the scent of boot leather and magic.

It's a little earthy too, on my skin during the dry down.

I am glad I got to try this scent. I got to try Fruitcake too and it's great these unreleased scents are given to us when we buy BPAL oils. It's a fun bonus.

Oh wow, I really love this - I'd buy a bottle for sure if I could!

That said, I'm having a hard time describing it. It's a well-blended scent, and it didn't morph much on me. From start to finish, it's green and earthy, yet I don't like most green blends and I loved this one; this is more the green of a layer of moss over the deep brown earth. But there's something deliciously sweet about it too. It has just the right amount of throw, just enough for me to smell it without having to sniff my wrist, and it lasts all day. It's a very earthy, comfortable scent. It gives me the feeling of sitting under a tree on a warm day.

straight sniff from imp is a lovely fresh forest...

herbal and lots of greens....a hint of an old pair of chaps...

this is awesome and i am thrilled i am among those who

were lucky enough to be frimped :wub2:

Oh! What a surprise to find this one! Reminds me slightly of Beltane 08. Green, mossy, fresh laundry dried out in a field.

Ah... this smells like Irish Spring soap and cow patties. :lol:

As it dries, the cow patties smell more like leather, but the leather combined with some other element, still makes me think of farms, cows, and rolling green hills.

It's got that fresh breeze through farms odor, where you occasionally get a whiff of cow poo.

As everyone else has said, green! It reminds me of Green Party, only lighter -- more grass than ivy -- and with a faint "dirt" note to it, especially wet. It goes a bit less soapy than Green Party as well. As it dries further, there's a hint of well-behaved leather.

Very evocative of the idea, but not really my kind of scent.

In the imp's ear: a light yellow oil with pungent grassy clover, worn leather

Wet on the skin: earthy peat turf and dusty bit of dirt, more clover, metallic gold and silver, worn leather, a bit of home-brew poteen, and white rose

Drydown on skin: The early drydown is a wee bit masculine, somewhat like cologne. It takes on a creamy light musky aroma . After a half hour or so, the leather and peat fall down into the background. The poteen, rose and clover soften the metallic notes. Earthy, sunny and fresh!! Nicely balanced. Keeper!!!!

In my scent locket, the metallic and leather stay more forward.

What a nice surprise with my Bards of Ireland order!

In the bottle--smack-in-the-face sharp herbal with a little old-fashioned soap.

On, it immediately morphs into sweet grass, lemon, white flowers, a teeny bit of wood, and some very subtle candy. I see gold, rather than green, and that's both suprising and pleasing.

Wow...what a mix! Reminds me *just a little* of Fairy Market, though I see indigo when I smell that one.

It's really very refreshing and appropriate for this new spring (finally!) weather we're getting here in Germany.

Yay! Thanks once again, BPAL!

I too got this as a frimp, and I love it! I would buy big bottle or two of this one Beth. Moss, grass, leather, smoke, maybe peat moss (?)and a hint of floral and maybe ozone to lighten it up a bit. Wow, just wow. Thanks for the frimp! :D