Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheDarkMother

Horn of Plenty

Forces a change of fortune, helps overcome poverty and want, and helps attract prosperity, prestige and earthly bounty.

The cherries and almonds fade away on my skin and something sweet, spicy/woody and incensey comes out, with a slight citrus tang.
there is a smell mixed in there somwhere that is really famailar. it reminds me of something i would smell in certain old, remote places in the south sometimes when i was a little girl. it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

i put this on today right before work, and my tips were much higher than usual. my sales totals were a lot higher as well.

it smells very yummy, and it works! Edited by Shollin

The first time I tried this, the scent sent me gagging to scrub it off. All I could think was "Well, it goes to show that making money isn't easy!" as I rubbed my wrist raw.

I'd thought it might have been because of my chemistry at the time - one of the many joys of being sick - but, alas, it doesn't seem to be, as my wrist is once again sending me gagging.

I can pick out cherry/almond/vanilla-ish notes, but some of it (the almond, I suspect) has gone terribly, terribly bitter. It smells rancid.

I really like the smell in the imp, so I think I'll keep it around for lockets and diffusers. With luck, though, it'll never touch my skin again.

bottle:

honey and almond, almost resiny

wet:

same with a bit of spice or tang - very golden scent

dry:

amber, almond, hint of spice.

overall:

very interesting, I kindof like it…

rating: 7/10

In the vial I smell cough drops.. the eucalyptus kind that everyone avoids.

On my skin it has mellowed to a sweet, powdery, medicinal sorta scent.

Regarding it's voodoo powers.. Yeah, I'd say it works. I had been watching an auction religiously for 5 days and when it comes time to bid I FORGET. It saved me tons of $$ of course, but I am totally pissed right now. Here's to hoping it comes around again- what's the voodoo blend for luck?

Almonds and cherries.. I hope this one works, I could use a influx of cash right now. At least I'll smell good while broke. :P

Horn of Plenty - Wow! In the bottle, Horn of Plenty didn't smell interesting to me at all. I was sure it was one I was going to have to swap away. Then I dabbed a little on my wrists, and the instant the imp-wand touched my wrist, the most beautiful scent enveloped me, and I looked around trying to figure out what it was and where it was coming from, and was quite surprised when I realized it was the tiny drop of oil I had just barely touched to my skin. It is a warm scent and sweet but not cloying. It's also smoky and has a swirl of toasted vanilla (?) running through it. I think I detect a tiny hint of tobacco, as well. It's a warm, rich, golden-creamy, smoky scent that's got the slightest touch of head shop incense. Based on this description, I wouldn't think I'd like it, but I do. I love it. I can't speak to any of the ritual/intent usage of this Voodoo Blend, but as a fragrance, it's simply divine. It has incredible staying power, amazing throw, and is quite possibly the strongest BPAL oil I've used. I don't know that I'd wear it enough to warrant a full bottle, but there's a chance I will. I have to finish up this imp and will then decide.

I received this as a free imp in my Harvest Moon order.

In the bottle Horn of Plenty is all almonds and a bit musky. Though on my skin it turns sweet, like honey. As it dries the sweetness and honey linger, only to be greeted by a soft baby powder and I won't complain about that.

Now I wish my butter fingers did not break the cap. :P Off to find some tape now.

Received this as a freebie from the lab (THANK YOU! :P ) and it was affected by the split cap problem so I thought I should try it right away.

This wasn't one I would have probably picked for myself but I love the scent. A Cherry, vanilla, slight herbal scent underneath but dominated by the creamy fruit smell. This has great lasting power too..it's gone all day and is still going strong.

In terms of enrichment, I don't know if this counts but I got a note from my HR Dept that I got an additional $150 deposited to my Pension today from people who defaulted...so that was kinda nice :D

I will definitely be ordering this again from the lab!

In the imp: Almonds!

Wet: Some sort of fruit that I wasn't able to identify and almonds. Perhaps I failed to distinguish between the smell of almonds and the smell of cherries themselves?

Drydown and wear: This remains almonds/cherry. It's never been one of my favorite scents, alas. Off to the swaps. Then again, I could use extra cash. It would mean more BPAL. :P :D

This one is very interesting! First sniff after applying it really surprised me- there was a very sharp, high note that for some reason reminded me of opening a new ream of copy paper. That wasn't right though... my next impression was that it was like bug spray, then I finally decided it was more eucalyptus-like than anything else. Beyond that note there is a mild nutty sweetness. As I bury my nose in, that nut smells like almonds, but *nothing* like the almond note I get in any other blend. It smells like I'm holding a handful of real almonds, not almond extract or marzipan. As it dries it gets very soft and light and the eucalyptus-like note only lingers around the edges of where I applied, then fades to blend surprisingly nicely with the almonds. There is also a creamy quality to the blend- something like milk or vanilla.

I haven't had time to try out the effectiveness of this scent as I put it on in the late evening at home. I did find a mysterious $5 bill floating around my house, but that was before I applied Horn of Plenty.

Edited by birdiefu

Horn of Plenty-

In Bottle: Ooh, foody. Sweet and cherry-ish and almost...cinnamon-clove.

Wet: Cherry-eucalyptus? Oh my God, it's cough syrup!

Dry: Ooh, cherry cough syrup and sandalwood. No, I'm afraid I can't wait for this to dry down longer, it's just too wrong to my nose.

Overall: Not for me.

Bright, sweet cherries that immediately soften to soft almond over vanilla. This is subtle and ... peaceful.

Reviewing scents with no note listings is tough for me. At the very least, I'm hoping this will have effects on my life more than just as a perfume.

In the vial - Almonds with some vanilla, cherry and something clarifying and bitter.

Wet - I WISH I knew what was this bitter note.

Drying - Hrm, plasticy with the bitter almond and cherry. Bah, there may be a sugar type note in here. Those always go plastic on me.

Dry (1 hour) - This smells just like Blood Kiss with some added spice to me. It's almost pepper spiced, but if it is the cherry is covering it up.

Overall - Not something I'd ever wear, but I'll keep it around to see how it handles magical applications.

Edit: Not even four hours after application and with no intent or ritual, this has already worked! :P The roommate and I just found out that we had somehow overpaid our cable bill by about two months and have a huge credit! Label me freaking impressed and a complete supporter of this oil.

Edited by Tess

This was yet another imp on a small ebay spree (it really wasn't that big in the scheme of things - 13 imps from three lots?). It was one that I'd earmarked to go back to from initial sniffs while I was at work. I've since given it a go a couple of times, first time without knowing the intent (besides guessing from the name)

In the imp: almonds. Like the almond essence I've been using in these lemon ricotta cupcake/muffin things I've been making recently. Except without the lemon, or the creaminess the ricotta gives. So ... kind of not like lemon ricotta cupcakes at all.

Wet on skin: kind of berryish-almond. It's not necessarily cherries, there's some vanilla in there - once it's on skin it goes a little creamy.

Dry: Berry-almond, with something darker underneath it.

I remember thinking last time I wore this that I picked up something kind of smokey vanilla-almond wafting about me. The day I wore it I went shopping with a friend of mine. We did a fair bit ! And then we nearly lost the lot cos of some baby-brain-induced forgetfulness (no, I don't have one on the way - laughed my head off denying it at work the other day! Can just imagine the chaos when that happens though). Fortunately we backtracked and found the bag with everything (gift being put together for another friend!) in it. I guess ... there wasn't any extra money, but we did just save the money that would've had to re-spend to get the gift again!

Intent or not, I quite like this. Not sure yet about it being bottle-worthy (that thing about needing to spend money to get money...?), I'll work that out by the time I get through the imp (:

In the bottle: Cherry cough syrup and White Out.

On me: Definitely cherries, but it also smells like something people huff to get high. I'm also getting a hint of chocolate underneath. I think I need to wait until it's dry to get a better feel.

In the imp: Sour cherry lollipops and eucalyptus varsol?

First On: Okay, it's more of an almond than a cherry, but still a strong nasal clearing eucalyptus/menthol turpintine.

After a bit: Milky, dusty, woody, nasal clearing eucalyptus/menthol turpintine.

A bit more: This is just odd, in one aspect I adore it, and I find it assaulting at the same time, it's changing very quickly though. The non-offensive part reminds me of the plastic head on a scented doll I had as a kid, like simulated baby powder mixed with a rubberized plastic blend, but in a good, soft way, but then there is this shot, like Buckley's cough syrup that just hits you in the head.

I have yet to wear this to any extent, so I cannot comment on it's other properties.

In the Bottle: It is giving me the same hum as patchouli, but with undertones like High John the Conqueror and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo.

Wet: This is an odd combination. It reminds me of lilac and amber, earthy like patchouli yet floral and sweet.

Drying down: It tickles my nose and makes me feel like I might sneeze. This is one I am not likely to wear just as a perfume...

Dry: I actually got used to this combination. It is very different, but it grows on me. My husband liked it as well.

Later: Wow. After a few hourse this turned into the same lasting scent as Van Van. So far I have not used this properly for financial benefit. I shall have to check back later after I do.

imp: light, slightly sweet, and a slight bitter resinousness

wet: odd...a little sweet, a little smoky...with a hint of almost kettle corn.

dry: cough syrup smell and plastic. I'll probably use this one to meditate but not as perfume...or use a scent locket.

I can immediately smell almond and what I think is cherry. I prefer the scent after it's begun to fade, actually. It reminds me of baby powder which is comforting to me. Oh! And my mother got a raise after wearing this to work one day. Let's see if it will help me, lol.

Almond with the Voodoo undercurrent: a kind of honey/powder/herbal blend. I think it smells fabulous, and am giving it to my brother with a great deal of need for a change...

Oh my god. This is the first BPAL blend that has ever made me physically ill. When I first applied it, it smelled of strong cinnamon, which was not bad but not exactly my type of scent. After about five minutes, this horrible woody decaying wierd stench comes out and makes me very nauseous. I will never put this stuff on my skin again!

reviewed on scent alone:

In the imp: almonds. that cherry marzipan-ish scent, and vetiver.

On me, wet: almonds drenched with vetiver and tobacco.

On me, dry: oh, there's a really strong honey note in there - interestingly it's actually honey, not the powder than BPAL honey notes usually go on me - and almonds and vetiver and so on.

Verdict: novel though it is to smell a honey scent that works on me, this combination isn't one I'd choose to wear.

So medicinal! This smells like something Grandpa Simpson would whip up if Maggie had a cold. Sort of fruity/herbal/sweet. Would taste great as a cough drop; not what I want in a perfume.

In the imp: strong medicinal sort of scent. And yes, I can see how this can be the base of High John the Conqueror.... minus the lovely grape!

On Skin: very strong medicinal, woody sort of scent. I smell a faint tinge of almond around the edges. I don't like it...

Drydown: This scent calms down after a while. After a while, I can smell something sort of ambery and woody and almondy.

After like two hours, I definitely get amber and almondy. Very warm.

Verdict: I don't know if this works, since I've been applying to jobs today. On drydown, it smells nothing like High John the Conqueror which I'm wearing on my other wrist. It's more resinous and woody. I like it on the drydown. Really.

I have to say that a combination of both of these scents and a smidge of Anthelion has done wonders for my disposition today. I have felt energized and motivated and in general, in cheery and good spirits. Perhaps it also has to do with Spring... but whatever it is: I'm happy! :P