Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheDarkMother

Horn of Plenty

Forces a change of fortune, helps overcome poverty and want, and helps attract prosperity, prestige and earthly bounty.

In the imp, thick cherry syrup. On skin, within a few seconds the sweetness lightens & a bit of something spicy & incensy sweet emerges. Another few minutes and the cherry strengthens a bit and shares the stage beautifully with the the incense/incense-like yumminess.

An hour or so later I also get something that reminds me a bit of Jack :P Like a light, vanilla'ish, buttery pumpkin that blends perfectly with the goodness described above.

Two hours later, softens but retains all the above. Nice throw.

Similar to Blood Kiss and trying hard to replace BK in my line up of favorites :D

I'm wearing it with it's intended purpose in mind. Let's hope!! Could definitely use the help!

Overall, definitely something I could wear daily but I wanted this to use as intended. The fact that it smells so good is just a bonus.

Nicely blended incense is what I get, it's great. Smells great on and as candle dressing.

Comforting is a description I have to second. Never got the cola or lime but that's just fine with me.

Still have my temp job so that's a good thing :P

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Rating (efficacy): N/A

Summarised in a word or two: Almond!

In the imp/bottle: Strong, cloying almond (or is that cherry? I get so confused!).

On skin, wet: Almond, almond, almond. Sweet, golden almonds. Also, is there honey in this? Strikes me as honeyed almonds, really.

On skin, dry: Still nothing but almonds. If there's anything else in this, the almonds have crushed them into oblivion.

Conclusion: I like almonds well enough, but this is strong. So strong, in fact, that I would not be able to test its Voodoo properties.

Edited by Aredhel

Ordered this one as we can always use more prosperity. :P But not in a greedy way--we really want to buy a house, and I want to use this oil to help me focus on visualizing the things that need to happen for us to be able to do so sometime within the next year.

The name makes me think of Thanksgiving; I may have to wear it then just on general principle. :D

When I put it on, there was a bad moment of cherry cough syrup, but it evaporated at once. It settled into cherry-vanilla-almond; yum! Cherry almond is just always a good combination to me; I've had lotions and shampoos with that scent and always like it. Of course Beth's is more complex than those--the vanilla is a great base. This is a cheerful, reassuring scent that says it's going to be ok, the way home-baked goods make you feel better. I'll report back on how it works for bringing the $ our way.

Wet on me this was spicy almonds, slightly sharper greener almonds than normal in the sweeter blends I've tried. Dry on me this is juicy fruity cherries and it's become a very clean crisp scent. I like this alot, I only hope it works :P

you'll all think I'm Bonkers, but I swear I can smell....

okay, it's a red fruit.

but

it's TOMATO!

I kid you not. green Tomato planty, sitting in the greenhouse full of tomato plants tomato.

am I insane?

Origin: Swap, but I can't recall who with. Possibly cuervosueno or Northernminx. Whoever it was, thank you!

I got this and put it immediately in my imp box. It's been about a week since I got it and I'm just getting around to testing it. I was worried I wouldn't like it -- other money blends have really not gone so well with me (in scent or in ethos). Whether it works with my chemistry or not, I'm going to keep it, and pop a bit on some of my dollar bills instead of my body (perhaps in conjunction with Foundation of Fortune (which on its own hasn't done much yet)).

Straight out of the imp, I think I may be going to like this. Something about it lights up my nose in the way I wanted all those spiced blends (Snake Oil, for instance) to -- but they didn't. There's rich deepness to it just on the wand, and something a little smoky yet sweet.

On my arm: Fresh, just like the vial.

Drying down: Sweet and creamy, yet deep and dark with a touch of green. If I inhale deeply and think really hard, I can feel a hint of cherry or almond. There's a touch of herbal around the edges -- the herbs that most every Voodoo blend so far has had.

After half an hour: I'm beginning to smell a bit more of the cherry or almond everyone is talking about. But it really isn't too overpowering, and I have to really talk myself into it before it appears -- it's a lush juiciness to the scent. I really can't name the dominant note of this -- it's making me think of something orange, but not melon, not mango, not orange -- maybe a very very very very quiet satsuma. -- that fresh sweet fruit, not the sharp tang of citrus. Something pale ornage or pink, maybe red, but not red red, soft red. Whatever it is, it's mellowed by the sweet almost-vanilla smokiness.

Dry: I like this a lot.

I was fearful of ending up with the almond of Hecate or the "loud one-note spice" of Snake Oil and a number of other blends, but Horn of Plenty has neither to excess -- there's some spice, some smoke, something creamy that doesn't hit either the Tonka or Vanilla receptors in my nose, and something fruity.

Effects: As to effects in the real world, I don't know. But I'll tell you, straight after applying this to the crook of my elbow, I went fishing in Animal Crossing and caught two eels and a giant catfish. Along with some other fish I caught, I got 14,000+ Bells.

I hope it works its magic outside the game, too. C'mon, job offer!

Final verdict: If my imp runs out, I'm getting more. Like Chimera, I don't know if I'll stretch for a 5ml quite yet -- I'll wear it more and see what develops, but I definitely don't want to give my imp up.

Edit: I find myself reaching for this imp to the exclusion of all other scents -- even my beloved Shub-Niggurath and Hellcat. The smell is absolutely delicious, regardless of whether the Voodoo do do to me (right now, there's not much Plenty in my Horn, so I'd say the effects are negligible). I believe I'm going to make Horn of Plenty my first 10ml ever.

Wish I'd worn it before I made my last order, I could have combined them.

Edited by subbes

Hmm My first impressions are I'm not sure about this one. I think it is smelling a bit soapy on me (like hot soapy water) but then it has something underneath that, that I think I like. Hmm. I think I will have to wear this one again before I decide - I'm really not sure about it. I don't know if it works as I entered a prize draw and it didn't work but maybe it doesn't work with material fortunes!

I find all the voodoo blends slightly disquieting. This one starts out cherry/almond/arsenic and then fades to something more herbal and almost mediciney

This was a freebie in my first bpal order, and whilst I wasn't keen on it at first, I gotta say that i'm very very happy I gave it a chance.

In Vial : In the vial, HoP smells very, very overpowering and strong...a friend and I were trying to work out what it reminded us of, because it was ringing some pretty loud nostalgia bells for me, and we concluded that its similar to those cherry iced-buns you get...you know, the slightly spicey ones with white icing on top and a large, glace cherry? That or cherry candy. Quite a sticky, sweet fragrance with something sharper and maybe a little spicy underneath.

On skin : On my skin, HoP really brings out the glazed-cherry note, and initially, I can't smell much else. There is a sort of...earthier, spicier underlying scent, which I can't quite identify, but more than anything else, is the cherry.

Dry down : HoP sticks around for awhile, and dries to a sort of light cherry with some sort of musky, tobacco-y scent backing it up. It really is very lovely, but I think the key is not to overapply.

Oh, and incidentally, I was wearing this the other day when I found out i'd been escalated to the next phase of interviews for a job i'm going for. Also, wearing it today, I found out I needn't pay back $20 postage I owed someone for something on ebay. So it works, I think :P in subtle ways.

hmm..sweet, yet smoky. i think i smell almond, cherry, amber, vanilla, and tobacco.

it's a pleasant scent and i can't wait to try it out.

In vial: tobacco and almond, with some unidentified very "juicy" note prominent.

Just applied: Smokey almond.

5 minutes: Has morphed completely into the smell of fat pine kindling just beginning to burn--a lovely smokey woody smell, which is a suprise because pine scents usually smell horrible on me.

Dry: The only way I can think to describe it is incredibly strange, but here it is:

It smells, to me, like the horse arena in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Smells like the cedar chips and pine boards of the stalls, little bit of animal smell (not in an unpleasant way), little wisps of smoke drifting in from the BBQ outside, and the hot, sweet smell cotton candy from the vendors spinning it fresh (not the cloying old, prepacked kind.)

It smells like a wonderful and beloved childhood memory, and it's incredibly comforting to me.

edit: holy.....

I used this oil (along with a couple others, including DDLM 2004) as part of a Samhain ritual a few days ago that I did with just a couple very, very close friends and my sweetie.

Within 24 hours--after months of searching--he was offered the post-graudation job of his DREAMS. It pays incredibly well, fantastic benifits, and it's programming work that he's enthralled and fascinated with, instead of just "code monkeying". This was more than decidedly spooky.

Edited by Isil

I usually hate the way that almond smells on my skin. I'm pretty sure that Horn of Plenty has almonds on me, and it's not good. First on this smells like boozy cherries. Strong and cough-syrupy.

After about 15 minutes it loses that medicinal boozy sharpness and begins to smell a bit better. A lovely buttery vanilla smell comes out, but the cherry scent is still putting me off a bit.

After an hour: cherries, smoky incense, and buttery vanilla. I find myself wishing that this were just buttery vanilla... the smoky cherry just isn't working on me. Oh well, off to the swap pile.

hornofplenty.jpg

This is a real nice classic voodoo oil. At first there is a heavy fruity scent which does remind me of cherry cough drops, it's playful and childlike. But there is a turpentine-like smell lurking in the background, heavy medicine for good magic sometimes smells tough to take. After about 10 minutes the cherries wear away and the child-like scent is gone replaced by the traditional voodoo oil scent and the pine resin scent. I bet this one really works wonders for the deprived. As a perfume it's not real good, but as an aid to providing, this one most probably overcomes any problems you have smelling like Horn of Plenty.

Very unique scent. Cherry and almond. There is SOMETHING about this scent that smells so secretive. Mysterious, as if there is a shy, giggling secret it is holding.

and I can smell/feel its intent even before I put it on, at the first whiff. delicious.

I put this on my neck and wrists and by the end of the night my dad gave me 40 dollars.

5ml!

Initally not very impressive. It's definitely almond (whoever said cherry chapstick was right on the money) but after an half hour the almond fades a bit. I smell more vanilla which softens and strengthens the scent but most of all I get pepper. Not sneeze inducing but it's peppery and I love it. It seems to unique and strong, I feel like a femme fatale everytime I wear it.

However, I haven't experienced any chance in my prosperity. I like the scent so I'll keep a vial around but more money would have been nice too.

At first the scent on this one is very similar to Joy Mojo - very vanilla blended with herbals. Then, and I seem to be quite alone in this, I get a very strong conifer note - Horn of Plenty goes to the pine forest and really seriously stays there. I get no almond, no cherry, nada. It's not a bad scent, but wow, chemistry is weird.

Anyway, I've only worn this for intent once, and if I want anything to come of it, clearly need to put more effort into my thinking, as what I was *hoping* for didn't happen. Then again, in retrospect, that may have been good in and of itself.

oooooh!! yummy!!!

just a touch of almond, twinge of sour cherry & a bit of hemlock......

this is one truly amazing and unique blend and will warrant a big

bottle in the very near future....i love this :P

Horn of Plenty is such a happy smell for me---it's just like cherry coke, with an effervescent almond blast and underlying rooty cola note.

I used this blend in the past to focus on meeting some ambitious financial goals. I'll be using it again as I look for a new job in the next few months. I'm happy to have Horn of Plenty as I need all the help I can get!

Frimp from the lab:

Almonds, cherries and sweet vanilla- Suprisingly not as foody as I would have expected those notes to be.

IN THE BOTTLE: I'm in LOVE! I want at least a 5ml of this!!! Sweetness and almonds and something else I can't quite put my finger on...

WET ON SKIN: Exactly the same, heavenly, but oh...what is that...?

DRY DOWN: ...it's gettin SOO SPICY! The scent is becoming full and heady. The almond is still there, as is the sweetness of candy, but now I smell like a home, not a human.

AFTER 3 HOURS: I feel invigorated, like I should be cleaning and getting things done. This would be a great room or car fragrance but it seems like when it's on my skin the proximity is suffocating. I love the scent, but not as a personal perfume. I will have to think of something else to do with the rest of this imp. Maybe I will burn it at home.

I would love if this worked for me, as I could certainly use the money and freedom from want. The first good effect this has had is that I don't want any more. :P That saves me a few bucks right here.

On my wrist it is REALLY sweet cherry. Smells like a cross between a jolly rancher and a throat losange. The cherry has an undercurrent of ... honey? something herby?

I don't sense any of the background notes behind the cherry that everyone else has. No vanilla or almond here.

The lollypop just sort of sits there on my skin.

Gah, I need this but I don't like the smell. What to do!

In the vial: Sharp cherry smell, like cherry-flavored cough drops.

Wet on me: More pronounced cherry, almost biting in it's sharpness.

Drydown: The scent of herbs and almonds comes forward rounding out the cherry. Removing it's bite.

Verdict: I'm not sure I like to wear this one. But like the others, I too would like to "force a change in fortune and overcome poverty". :feels completely torn:

Edited by mandragora

Gotten from: A swap

Normally, the sweet foody scents don't like me too much... Gluttony makes me gag. This is -definitely- in the same category, but while Gluttony is choking, and most of the other things like it are too, this one stops well short of being too much (although it -is- still powerful and you only need a teeny bit!).

It makes me think of autumn... of baking pies, fall fruit, and a teeny bit of smoke and crushed leaves. This isn't Halloween, though, it's Thanksgiving, which makes sense for the name/intent of the oil. It's very much like what I was expecting Harvest Moon to be, and although I'm not into the voodoo thing, I think it'd make an excellent harvest-celebration oil in any sense.

Scentwise, I do get the almond, along with some other undertones like smoke (faintly), some sort of fruitiness that I'd consider to be apple-pumpkin, and then some other things that are too stirred in to identify separately. This oil -really- loves my skin, turning into a sweet, mellow haze that I had one of my co-workers tell me she liked much better than the imp of O I was trying to foist off on her at the time. :P (I had HoP on my hand at the time.) But it didn't work so well on her, to her disappointment. (Not that it was bad, but it wasn't quite what she had in mind.)

I suspect this will end up being a bottle, sooner or later. It's definitely on the list.

In the imp:

Yuck... too strong. Not sure, but I'll put it on.

On the skin:

It's all cherries and almond... kinda like cough syrup and amaretto, but not in a good way. Not my first choice. :D

Oh well, a recently BPAL-ed friend likes it, so she'll keep it. :P