Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheDarkMother

Horn of Plenty

Forces a change of fortune, helps overcome poverty and want, and helps attract prosperity, prestige and earthly bounty.

I am seriously afraid that my nose is dead. :eek: I get cherry limeade from this. Pretty much from start to finish. I really like it a lot actually. Its not too sweet, but a very bright and cool sweet lime scent with a cherry/redfruit note with added sweetness (not a cherry/almond at all). I'm not getting any tobacco, and certainly not any vetiver. There is no smokiness at all in this to my nose. Not creamy either. It actually smells like straight up lime EO, with a bit of red fruit fo. Maybe a tinge of coconut. But thats all I get.
I'm actually wanting a bottle of this.. but am kindof afraid because of the other reviews. I dont want tobacco or vetiver, or almonds. I might have to try this at a will call.

Okay.... this is odd. I was sent a sniffie of this, and I like the smell in the decant. Tonight, while looking into classes & training online, I dabbed some on my chest just for the scent. I like the scent; it's like candied almonds with sugar-eucalyptus syrup. Sweet and solid and a little bracing. But the odd part? I had, like, 5 windows open, comparing all my options, emailing a friend for advice, just totally going to town. And I have a f@*kton of energy. Seriously, this is weird. But I smell good!

eta: I found an old imp of this in my bpal box. Same effect. I'm filling out applications online & have *tons* of directed energy! *note to self: learn patience* :lol:

Edited by surlygurl

My first review!

I've got it from: a decant bought via a forum.

In the bottle: It smells like a sweet and herbal cough syrup, not unpleasant, but a bit strange.

On my skin, wet : The sweetness disappears immediately and leaves a very strong cardamom/smokey smell. Not so nice.

dry down: The only thing I smell is cardamom.

a few hours later: The dark, strong smell gets something sweet back underneath it. Like honey and vanilla.

I do not smell cherry's like other people mention. It gets a bit more powdery and smells better then before. Still don't really like it though.

Other people experiencing the cardamom thing, or is my body chemistry being weird?

ITI: Since this one doesn't have any notes listed, I will try to tease out what I can. Well, it certainly is musky, like blue musk, but part of it is a little off-putting as the scent reminds me a little of acetone. There is also a fake cherry note somewhere in there.

Wet: I get strong musk, resin, artificial cherry, and coconut air freshener.

Dry: As it dries, I start picking up an almond note and a vanilla note. However, the scent is really sweet, to the extent that it gives me a headache.

On me, Horn of Plenty smells of herbal cherry tobacco. It doesn't morph, and it lasts and lasts: at over 11 hours as I write this, it's still going strong.

I really like it; it's sweet but not overly so (I never get the smokiness or vetiver that some reviews mention.) It also works well on my skin in both warm and cold weather.

I wore this quite a lot in the spring and summer when I was hoping for my financial circumstances to improve. As of late summer, they did, though I can't say how much Horn of Plenty had to do with that. It certainly didn't hurt. I wish I'd thought to wear this for Thanksgiving; it would have been perfect.

I am going to eventually use this in my meditation/TAL workings but wanted to review it as a scent first.

In the imp it's thick cherry and herbs/leaves. On me WOW it's strong! It's herby, woody, sweet and has hints of dark murky waters. I get more cherry, mint and some boozy vanilla. It's not something I would usually wear but it's actually surprisingly lovely.

Dark, sexy and mysterious.

In the imp: I can detect an almond note, and a bit of fruitiness (perhaps cherry?) that reminds me of red Starburst.

Wet: Yep, definitely cherry! Then, it morphs, and becomes less sweet, with what I think may be a tobacco note announcing its presence. It is somewhat smoky.

Dry: I am getting some vanilla now! The cherry note still dominates, though, and the smoky quality still lingers.

Verdict: This one is okay scent-wise, but I just don't see myself reaching for a cherry-dominant scent. I cannot say whether or not it does what it is intended for, but I am going to pass this one onto a friend that is having financial troubles.

Edited by dementia_divine

Interesting. When I first put this on it was very intensely cherries and lime. It was very sweet and very fruity. I wasn't sure about it. But after a few minutes it became Aunt Caroline's Mojo (which is very candy-ish and a favorite of mine) with a subtle cherry note. It's like I layered Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo and Perpetuum Bonum. I'm really enjoying this now! I think I need a bottle of this, afterall.

Almond in the bottle. Not getting my hopes up. Goes on as a delicious almond-cherry. Continues creamy and soft. Oh, almond, please stay! A little medicinal as it dries. Turns to woodsmoke briefly, but this dissipates and the food note returns in a dusty way, maybe more vanilla. Finishes as a slightly plastic vanilla. I have to try this in a scent locket, but I may have finally found my almond!

Wet: Dr. Pepper. I'm giddy with excitement because I love Dr. Pepper. This doesn't last long, though. About five minutes.

Dry: Sweet powdered almonds and spice blend. The spice blend isn't heavy or very exotic. It's kind of generically spicy, like the pumpkin pie spice blend in the store - all ginger, cinnamon, and clove. I think I smell a hint of tobacco too. It reminds me of fall. It's a comforting scent. Stays very close to the skin.

Edited by SunsetKay

This tastes cloying to me in the back of my throat and leaves me with a headache almost instantly. Theres a bitter medicinal feel to this, cherry and maybe something like vanilla but almost plastic.
Not for me.

There's my good 'ol buddy almond again. Actually it's not as disgusting to me in this as I usually feel about it; there's another sweet note balancing it out quite well.
On my skin, it keeps that, but quickly morphs and fades those notes just a bit and there's something tangy and dark (probably tobacco and maybe something else)? A no for me, but it's a good blend!

I'm going to be testing this again for its ritual and mystical properties, but this review is based purely on the scent.

Starts off as a lovely deep almond that lasts longer than some of the other almonds I've tried. Unfortunately, after about an hour it settles into a slightly plasticky vanilla scent that I don't care for. It is not actively terrible, but not something I'm super into either. I might layer it with Queen of Sheba or Eclipse (my two favorite almond BPALs so far) and see whether they combine well with Horn of Plenty.

I could surely use the luck and financial good fortune so I'll be giving this one another whirl soon.

Lab fresh imp, red oil. When it's wet, all I smell is peanuts. Really, peanuts! It's bizarre! Once it dries, the peanut disappears and I get a syrupy, medicinal cherry scent.

Absent any listed notes, I can just say it smells to me like almond, cherry, light spices like what might go in a quince pie, and something like grains or pie crust.

I find it an autumn gourmand in the vein of Halfling and Mr. Fezziwig's Ball.

Cherried minty-sage vetiver.

Instant love because it smells so much like Blackcurrant sage 'Hot Lips' (Salvia microphylla):

https://goo.gl/photos/nTiER98emU1KcDiB8

Maybe not the prettiest plant, but it smells so good, like a sweet cherried mint. It's cheerful, happy, and full of summer.

The oil is pinkish. I'm guessing there's dragon's blood in here, which can turn plasticky on me, but doesn't in this blend. There's just a bit of vetiver, enough to give it a plant-like, garden earth (but not dirt) feel, to keep it grounded. It stays pretty as it fades.

Oh I like this very much.

Edited by sasqa9

Wet, this starts off like really spicy Dr Pepper. It goes through a bit of a scent journey, where I get cherry and almond and spices from the Dr P, then peanuts, then it gets smokey, vanilla comes through, goes a little powdery, and then later.... is that vetiver? Usually vetiver is a death note for me, but here it's just grounding.

Overally, this is a slightly spicy, slightly woody Dr Pepper. I really like it! (There is something else there that I feel I should know, almost like the Lab's snow note, or their lovely fir note. *Something* that reminds me of Yule blends.)

I bought a bottle of Horn of Plenty from the lab, and received in the mail last week.

Slathered some on for the first time this morning, on my way in to work.

Checked my Play 4 lottery numbers at 2:30 today ... and my numbers had come up!! I won $10,000.

I. SHIT. YOU. NOT.

Sitting at my desk, laughing and yelling like a crazy person. The most money I have ever won at one time in my entire life. I am DYING.

I don't what to think, but I have had the best luck of my life today, after slapping this on. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Thank you, BPAL. Somehow, I believe this juice changed my luck today. :tongue: :tongue:

Almond pineapple musk. Sweet, comfortable, & it lasts over 8 hours in my scent locket. Glad I got a bottle.

I can smell the layers in puff pastry. How? It's a ridiculously accurate pastry scent with a pineapple and cherry filling. It's just like a fluffy, layered pastry with pineapple and cherry jam. Very strange and not really what I was expecting.

I don't know about its effectiveness because I wasn't really testing for it. If I notice something, I'll be sure to report back.

I feel like this is one of those frimps I have received a million times, and kept thinking I must have already tried it, and passing it on...but eventually I realized I never did try it. And then of course I didn't get one for ages. LOL.

Wet: Some kind of familiar candy...or maybe fruit punch? It's just on the tip of my tongue, exactly what it reminds me of...that's frustrating. Sweet, fruity, slightly herbal undertones. Interesting! Maybe a hint of spice too.

Dry: Powdery fruit candy! Like make sweet tarts? It has gone back and forth between that and fruit punch. Sweet, fruity and fun! I like it but it's not something I would wear. Unless I all of a sudden come into some money tomorrow, and then I will slather it daily forever! LOL

In vial: Sweet, gently fruity, with a hidden herbal note.

On me: A warm red scent, almost but not quite fruity-floral, certainly dragon's blood resin or DBR-adjacent, with a smooth, sweet cream or honey backdrop. It has a gentle spice, which helps complicate the scent. Distinctly similar to Dragon's Milk (dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla), but I find Dragon's Milk to be more intense, more sweet-but-spicy--a little harder to wear, but more interesting. Great longevity, but after a few hours this goes a little stale/sour/grape-like, echoing the cough syrup others have reported.

Verdict: Pretty and wearable enough that I wouldn't be adverse to wearing this for its intended practical use. As a perfume, it's a lesser Dragon's Milk.

Edited by Juushika

An imp from 2011 I believe.

In bottle: cherry cough syrup... I don't like it very much but maybe my skin will change it.  

On skin: still cough syrup.  

After a few hours: Can't get it to really smell like anything OTHER than cherry sough syrup. 

I'll be swapping this imp; it doesn't really work for me.  

Definitely honey and almond, and I'm going to guess vanilla and clementines. Once it gets out of the honey + almond phase it smells like peeling a clementine with a background of vanilla. Yummy yummy yummy!

In the imp: Much almond. 

On my skin:

Wet, the throw is vanilla, but the skin scent is still all almond. Then, in a bit of a strange turn for my skin chemistry, the almond disappears, and I'm left with soft, fuzzy, vanilla. That's a weird way to describe it, but -- It's very vanilla-y but not super foodie. 

Ack! Sadly, fuzzy vanilla is not this scent's final form. The almond comes back... less strong than almond can be on me, but almond nonetheless.