Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheDarkMother

Horn of Plenty

Forces a change of fortune, helps overcome poverty and want, and helps attract prosperity, prestige and earthly bounty.

I received this as a freebie imp in my last order. I could really use the financial benefits it promises, but unfortunately, the scent itself isn't for me. I wish I got the vanilla and almond scents that everyone else is mentioning, because those are some of my favorite smells. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting something "sweetly smoky" instead. Maybe it's the tobacco? In any case, I probably won't be keeping this, as the smell gives me a terrible headache. I'll just have to find my success the old fashioned way!
Ancientgirl

Lots and lots and lots of cherry, candy sweet, ripe lush cherries. I sadly got nothing else out of this one for a good three hours before it finally mellowed into something that was a faintly soapy floral with an undertone of cherry. Not unpleasant, but not one I loved either. off to swaps!

Cherry cola. Yum. The cherry cola gets flat, and a few minutes later, it’s in the transition stage between cherry cola and baby diapers, thus giving it a slightly medicinal smell. In its baby diapers stage, it doesn’t actually smell like baby diapers, but it’s something very brown and not pleasant, and since some people have mentioned it, that’s what I think of. This is what sniffing the recesses of slightly old, unused cloth diapers, pre-poop, would be like—oid, musty, bordering on mold (not mold, though). Half an hour, it bounces back to that transition stage. It goes back from the transition stage to that funky brown-scented stage for several hours before it settles on the brown stage. I really wish my body chemistry could have kept Horn of Plenty in the cherry cola stage…that would have been divine.

holy sweet oil, batman!

i've never read the reviews for this one, so i was quite surprised when i opened it up and smelled what seems to be lime! it's a candied lime, though, not like the ripe lime juice from the star. i put this on just now and it immediately morphed into a cherryish scent, but not necessarily an overly-medicinal one, and it still retained the lime-ish candy from the initial sniff. it reminds me a bit of the red queen, only a bit fruitier and more artificial.

this reminds me of my friend kati's house when we were younger, and how her dad always made the clear citrusy kool-aid because everything in their house was white. i hate kool-aid, so that isn't necessarily a happy association, but i still really like this. this is one of the few voodoo oils i've tried that i would actually wear. it actually makes me feel a little happier just smelling it.

Ooo, this smells very similar to Voodoo. And I love Voodoo. It starts out the same, with almonds, and deepens out in a lovely scent. Horn of Plenty's drydown is more dry and uplifting instead of the smooth lazy warmth I get from Voodoo. I'm interpreting the dryness (scorged, almost) as sandalwood, but I could be wrong. Have been wearing this all week while househunting, and have two invitations to view a house. Yay!

Horn of Plenty was a freebie with my last order and I hope it works because I desperately need some money.

This is the most bizarre BPAL scent that I have ever encountered. I had a great deal of trouble dredging up any words to describe what I am smelling. My mind compares Horn of Plenty to a bubblegum scented plastic doll that lies in a smoker's house.

I can pick up a hint of vanilla that others have mentioned and the same smokiness. I believe there must be honey in this scent to give it an edge of plastic and clay.

In terms of scent, this is definitely not up my alley. But if my financial situation shifts, I will be hanging on to this imp for a while.

I bought this because I was told it was very sweet / kinda cotton candyish!

And, on me, it is! This stuff is AWESOME! I like it a lot, it's vanillaish, and so sweet... I wish I could eat it! It turns into cotton candy on drydown, and stays that way...

Also, something else I noticed, every time I wear it I win something, get something, etc.... That might sound a little strange but it's true! I've noticed a change in my luck when I wear it, so I honestly believe it works!

If you like sweet scents this would be yours. I suggest it for the luck factor too!

Initial Sniff: Creamy honeyed almonds and vanilla, with a sharp metallic tang behind it.

Wearing: This does not smell very good on my skin - vanilla often goes all weird on me. But I don't wear this - I use it to scent my "Lucky Lotto" seven day candle! Whenever we buy a lotto ticket, I place it underneath the burning candle until just after the drawing.

Voodoo Effects: Well, we haven't hit the jackpot yet, but we have had a couple of $2 winners - which is more than we ever had before!

Final Impressions: I look forward to further testing this one out!

sweet. very candy fruity sweet. definitly doesn't agree with my nose- i feel vaguely ill from how sweet it is- as if i've eaten too much candy. still, i could use some financial windfalls (heh), so i put some on my back. also hubby's. unfortunatly, the review ends there, as on my back i couldn't smell it. which was good, but maybe bad, since no money came my way. i'll have to try it again and put it on my wrists or something to see if i can get some benifit from the magic, but as a perfume it doesn't do it for me.

I could smell this one before I opened the swap package. The fruity notes penetrated the layers of bubble wrap to entice me.

In the vial it smells very cherry with a smokey note thrown in. It reminded me of good cherry pipe tobacco.

Wet-The cherry smell is coming through strong. I'm not big on fruity scents, but this is nice. I can detect a hint of almond also

Dry-The cherry is fading into the background and the almond smokey scent is coming through. I don't hate it but I dont love it either.

I was anixious to try this blend. Not because of the smell, but to see if it works. I need a little prosperity in my life. I probably wont order a bottle, but I will always have an imp on hand for times of need.

Candied fruit and tobacco. This is a great blend, it smells like tobacco, and fruit baskets, and something kind of spicy. It has a sweet honey note too, which makes it smell like candied fruits.

I like this one, it has a late summer roadside fruit stand smell. As for its voodoo properties, I haven't noticed, but the next time I wear it I'll try to remember to pick up a lottery ticket. :P

Bitter! With a citrus twang...like fresh lime leaves. I can smell a touch of almonds and vanilla as well, and some murkiness that reminds me a tad of Creed's Vetiver. The bitterness dissapears into the slight creaminess lent it by the almonds or vanilla. Not something I'd wear, but I can see it as a great meditation blend :P

at first: wow. herbal. i think i'm mostly smelling something pickle-like. odd and salty.

on: sweet, but i can't quite place the sweetness. maybe fruit.

1.5 hours later: almost a hint of syrup. i think i smell a bit of patchouli.

5 hours later: very pretty. i still can't place the sweetness i smell, but it might be fig.

7.5 hours later: i really like this. i think the patchouli is mixing more with the fruity / sweet scent. very nice.

overall: i really like this, and i'm glad i ordered an imp of it.

this is intresting to say the least again i bought it for its "properties" but am trying it as a perfume for reviews

wet it was sweet cherry almonds.

as it dries it is velvety, vanilla, and honey, w/ a drab of tobacco, and a drizzle of spice

this is dynamic and fun two thumbs up

In the vial: Overwhelmingly sweet cherry, with a dark herbal edge. (This was not almond to me - absolutely CHERRY). Smelled half way between cherry syrup and cherry cough medicine.

Upon wearing: This changes to half way between cherry syrup and cherry pipe tobacco.

(And it's really strong - be careful when applying!)

I don't really like it on me, but I love how interesting it is. As far as olfactory use - this would make a nice room scent in the winter, and fans of Hearth and others like it may love this one to wear as well.

But if it works half as well as Blockbuster does for me, there will be a bottle in my future.

(ETA: the drydown - after about 2 hours it's much mellower on me - same cherry pipe tobacco but a little softer, sweeter and smokier - more of a creamy vanilla/almondy character with the pipe tobacco - actually like it just for the wearing at that point.

Voodoo properties - When wearing this I had someone undercharge me $14.00 for an item that I was purchasing, but since I noticed when i was still at the register I told them about it, so no net profit there! But made me think that this would be good to work with in a focused fashion, since that happened when I was just wearing it around town for trial sniffing purposes.)

Edited by wolfie13

wow, I know this smell somewhere! But where? some reason my instict says holiday/novelty shop, maybe some sort of a doll? It smells sweet and thick, almonds, herbs, alcohol? Smells almost plasticy at first, and then it mellows out to a sweet almond and that odd scent I can't figure out.

Not an every day scent, but whatever it reminds me off conjures up good memories, so definitly a keeper.

In Bottle: Fruity cola.

On skin: It still has that sweet cola scent with something with a resin feel. I think it smells delicious, but unlike a perfume. I really need to try wearing this when I’m going out and actually doing something to see if it does indeed “attract prosperity, prestige and earthly bounty”.

Horn of Plenty

In the bottle: sharp and almost acidic, but lots of scents to that to my nose

Wet: Definitely sweeter now, I’m picking up a melody of scents but no one note in specific. A bit of it reminds me of almond; a soft mellow flavor. I almost get a faint floral, such as a lily, but it’s not strong enough to ID.

Drying: it’s getting a faint powdery scent and I no longer get almond from it

5 minutes in: I’m getting more and more floral now, in an almost soapy way. Not soap, but a soft lovely floral soap. I can’t identify the bouquet, but I dislike nearly all florals and this is rather nice. That says a lot!

an hour later: this is rather nice, actually. I’m getting a faint powdery yummy semi-sweet floral with a touch of almond. No specific note overwhelms and they blend together rather nicely

:P

Bottle (Imp): Smells sweet. Not sugar or honey so much as sweetness in general.

Just On: Oh, it is candy sweet when just on. As it starts drying, I think it smells a little bit like 'something' but I can't put my finger (nose) on just what. I think I like it.

An hour or two later: It's still sweet, and morphing into a skin scent. I really like it.

Around 6 hours: This has settled into a skin scent (You already know what that means, right?). It's still sweet, and staying true to the way it started out.

12 hours: Cherry Liqueur! That's what it smells like. No wonder I like it.

Overall: I really like this scent, and can easily see it being something I would use for ritual as well. I'd certainly consider buying a big bottle of this, but it won't be at the top of the list like the LE's and such. It's up there though, and I'd wear this fairly often.

After reading other reviews: I guess I'm not the only cherry smeller in the group. I like this, and will certainly see if it has the effect it should. I could really use a little prosperity.

In the imp: It's rich and slightly sweet, but not in a foody way.

Wet: Sweet almond with a hint of spice and some vanilla and/or honey. Rather similar to Eclipse, which is a good thing in my books!

Drydown: The initial notes stay through the drydown, but are complemented by a slightly smoky tone... it's reminiscent of a sweet pipe tobacco, but it's faint enough to be pleasant (usually anything tobacco-ish will turn me right off). There's also just a touch of something that might be vetiver.. not enough to be prominent in its own right, but enough to give the blend a depth.

It's a very golden and abundant-feeling scent, as the name would suggest. I can't attest yet to its voodoo efficacy, but I love the scent, and it definitely conveys a feeling of well-being.

Holy SHIT. This is the best parts of Snake Oil (to me) except without the initial painful spicyness...it's mellows out into what feels like a "high" amber, it smells like a sparkling piece of amber looks. What I think is the almond in this is beautiful and warm and yet very very bright. :P :D :D

This is a scent I really, really wanted to like, but it just didn't like me at all. It was all cough syrup on me, and i found it quite sickly. A shame, because it got all these good reviews and I was looking forward to all the prosperity :P

This is, unfortunately and not, sort of a one note scent for me.

In the vial: Bananas. Why I get fruit out of these scents in the vial, I will never know.

Wet: Something musky/musty, like a smoke, and vanilla. Vanilla should not smell like bananas, but there you go.

Drydown: More vanilla. Some honey, I think, making it richer, but yes, vanilla. Maybe a hint of spice.

Dry: Stiiiill vanilla. This doesn't have much complexity to it at all for me. The smoky/spicy/hint of fruit is gone and it's just all vanilla. Which isn't bad, as I love the scent, but it's not a ground-shaker.

I only have a partially full imp, so unless someone really wants it I'll keep it and use it for vanilla-fixes.

Earthy, almost medicinal cherry cough syrup at first, then drying down to a sweet cherry vanilla.

Oh yeah, I have finally realized that this is my beloved Blood Kiss! Almost to the T on me. Can't see buying it because I have plenty of Blood Kiss, but I will use it every now and then when I need some extra dough-re-mi. Others may find this different enough from Blood Kiss to warrant a purchase, but I don't. If you are a Blood Kiss Fan, as I am, it is worth a try.

I'm on a voodoo oil kick and intent on trying them all! :P

Also, I have received two freebie imps of HoP in my orders and if that ain't a sign I don't know what is.

Okay. Today it is Horn of Plenty - I could certainly use good voodoo in that direction! I am wearing it on my wrist and scent-wise on skin, I agree with previous posts - definitely cherry cola with a wedge of lime.

However, yesterday I decided in the morning to try to overcome poverty and want and attract some prosperity and earthly bounty - a dottle of prestige can't hurt either.....So I put a few drops in my candle burner (has a resevoir of water to drop oil in and sits over a candle tealite) and after a few minutes my office smelled, well, FULL - that is the only word I can think of at the moment that describes what it smelled like.

But later in the day, after going out and coming back in again (by now the candle burner had gone out) I stood in the middle of my office thinking "what is that wonderful smell?" totally forgetting my intent that morning to overcome poverty....My office smelled sweet, comforting, luscious, happy, even bountiful......there was even a bright cheerful buttery rosey color to the scent if you can believe that....it was just so very pleasant in my office that day.

I also find that I like reading and rereading the descriptions of the Voodoo scents while I am wearing or breathing them in and believe in the power of suggestion. The combined effects create powerful olfactory affirmations!

So while I might want to wear some of the more wearable voodoo scents - I would like to find out more about how to employ their power in uses other than wearing because I feel that is where they will manifest their magic and power......eh? :D