Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheDarkMother

Horn of Plenty

Forces a change of fortune, helps overcome poverty and want, and helps attract prosperity, prestige and earthly bounty.

i should wear this one all the time considering i need j-o-b and i need to support my habit on here, ha!

but seriously, smells like tobacco...and smoky...not into this one. Edited by magikalbrownies

This smells like cherries and...cherries and...some amber, and some more cherries, with something in the background that is unfortunately turning a bit burnt plastic like on my skin. If it weren't for the plastic note that my chemistry is bringing out I would love this...so sad.

First impressions, having just got the imp: At first this was smoky choky vetiver and I didn't think I would like it but ten minutes later, the smoke has disappeared and it's a creamy almondy scent. I like it a lot!

I hope this works, too. I need a job. :)

This was a frimp in my recent trading post order and one I never would have thought of for myself (thank you labbies :wub2: ). It was love at first sniff though!

In the imp: This is a sweet almost cola-like almond (though not at all cherry, as others have said).

On my skin: The almond changes within moments to a softer more marzipan-like scent. A rich pretty amber starts to come out as well. It gets warmer and smokier the longer it sits. Something in this reminds me of Snake Oil, though I'm not sure what it would be. I am definitely smelling vetiver, though it is an amazing, sweet, smoky, exotic vetiver. I usually don't care for the lab's vetiver note, but I'm loving this. There are also a lot of spices showing up and maybe a trickle of well-behaved honey.

Drydown: Sweet, smoky, and spicy. Glowing and delicious. I never smelled any of the cherry, menthol/eucalyptus, herbal/medicinal notes that others have mentioned. This is autumn in a bottle, to my nose at least, and will definitely be a bottle purchase soon.

I put this on without knowing the intention of the blend. But I am looking for a new job, so maybe something amazing will happen today!

Putting it on my skin, I was hit with all juicy, fruity sweetness--almost a berry, but not quite. And there's something else there, especially as it dries, but I have no idea what. It's still incredibly sweet smellilng, but there's something darker beyond that, something almost smoky.

I am coming to realize I am giving an almost useless review here. I think I need to smell a single note of vetiver to see if that is what I am getting here.

Starts out very cherry on the skin.

A few minutes after application, I get that smoky note others have experienced as well.

Kind of turns into Cherry Brimstone on my skin. Not sure if I like it or hate it. :unsure:

I got an imp of this, and as my fortunes could use a shot of "things going my way", I thought I'd test it out.

In the imp: It smelled just weird and reminded me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on what - sort of like envelope glue, but not exactly. I was fairly hesitant to put it on, but I forged ahead.

On my skin, though, it turns into something lovely. A far cry from my usual foody favorites, but oh, I like it. I guess it's sort of vanilla-ish, and there's definitely something sweet there, but not candy-sweet, more like honey or molasses. And there's something dark that I can't really identify. I'm not sure what vetiver smells like exactly, but if that's what I'm getting, then I love it. It's not quite an incense-type scent, not quite smoky, but somewhere in the middle of all of those. I need more. :wub2:

As for its fortune-enhancing properties, I can't really say - today hasn't been that great. It started out with me forgetting my cell phone and missing my regular bus and ending up late to work, so things weren't going my way there. :rofl:

I think we could all use some sort of horn of plenty in this recession :eek: I'm detecting red fruits, a hint of wood and smoke...it really does bring an actual cornucopia filled with apples, cherries, berries and pomegranates sitting in front of a warm fireplace. It gets even more fruity-berry delicious as it dries down and still retains a nice warm base of wood and smoke...this is the number what imp that's convinced me I need a bottle? :lol:

Okay, thanks to this scent and Alecto, I now know to avoid BPAL's vetiver note. I generally like many of the notes in Horn of Plenty, but the vetiver just overwhelms everything else and I get a papery, slightly sour smell. Definitely not working for me. Into the swap pile it goes.

This to me is what Ambrosia smells like. It's a honey, vanilla and breaded scent. In the imp I get the smoky, charred vetiver smell but it is very, very faint. On my skin it gets a little plastic-y but I like it. I'll think about a bottle purchase.

Frimp in one of my orders.

Without the notes, I'm at a bit of a loss but here it goes . . .

In the imp, I smell something fruity and . . . minty? Maybe herbal would be a better description. It's quite pleasant. Wet, it's the same, although that "minty" note strengthens and is, indeed, a mellow green. During the drydown, it's still fruit and herbs, but I think I detect a bit of smoke in the background. Dry, the smokey note strengthens a bit, but does not overpower the other parts of the blend.

This is quite interesting. I'm not sure I would wear this type of scent, but it'll be nice in my oil burner.

Gift imp in a swap.

On me, both dragon's blood and almonds tend to go straight to cherry. This blend turns into a close mimic of Dragon's Milk on my skin, that same cherry scent mixed in with a somewhat honeyed vanilla. I don't get any smoke out of it, and if there's vetiver in here, it's not showing up on me at all, which is a very good thing.

This feels a bit lighter than Dragon's Milk, without the insane amount of waft. I put on Dragon's Milk, and people are complimenting me from twenty feet away. This doesn't have the same wafting feel to it.

I'm debating whether it's a keeper or not, because it is so similar to something I already own and wear rarely.

In the bottle: Almondy/cherry scented! Wow, this is super sweet!!

On the skin: Wait...what happened?? Vetiver takes over - the throw is almondy, but all I smell on my wrist is smoke.

Dry down: Vetiver, with undertones of almond and vanilla. I amp vetiver, and I don't know if I like it or not. I wouldn't say I dislike it, and I'll keep my imp in hopes that it'll hook me up ;) , but I wouldn't by a big bottle.

Frimp in a purchase.

This a beautiful sweet and fruity blend on me.

In the bottle it's the sharp and kinda grassy (vetiver?) with a cherry undertone and I didn't really wanted to try it at first.

On my skin it turns to almond and cherries mixed with vanilla. Extremly delicious! I don't get any smoky or woody tones others mentioned and I'm very glad about that.

Right now I totally want to buy a bottle, but I'll test it again once it's not so extremly warm outside.

In this parfume I smell best of all the cocoa head note, not too chocolate or gourmand, a deep and woody cocoa with a hint of cherry that really makes you feel in the best way to help your Fortune.

Almond and a hint of musk. Cool smoke. Slightly artificially-sweet. Underneath it all, it's akin to a rich incense, but it stays close to the skin. Weirdly, this reminds me of a bookshop, a small, independent one that has incense stocked in the corner.

In imp and wet on skin: Plastic. Kind of reminds me of the scented glue sticks I bought as a child in Japan. :eek: Glue of Plenty?

15 minutes later: Horn of Plenty has blossomed into a warm, creamy almond-vanilla. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Why can't you be like this faster? >_< The staying power however is about 2-4 hours, so that makes up for the plastic phase. I'm wondering what notes cause that since almond and vanilla are two of my best notes and never turn plastic on me.

As for its benefits...well, I've been dying to try Gypsy Moth, and got outbid on an auction the other day. Wore this earlier and lo and behold, I managed to snag a bottle through the forum sales this evening (thanks Washer!). Call me a believer. :3 Now to wear this to my job interview Tuesday...

I woke up this morning a little worried about money so I thought it would be a good day to test Horn of Plenty. I anointed a few chakras and then put some on my wrists so I could keep sniffing it.

In the imp and wet: Skittles? Really? Yup! Skittles!

Dry: Continues to be candy sweet on me. Not really my first choice.

After about an hour I sniffed my wrist and was surprised to find that smokey aroma others had talked about, yet bright cherry candy remained. Smoked Skittles. Utterly weird. I think I like it more with the smoke.

An hour after that it seems to settle down to almond and vanilla sweetness. The smoke is gone (boo) and the cherry is very faint. It's not me most days. I'll probably keep the imp for the voodoo properties, because it can't freakin' hurt.

I'm not sure how to do a detailed review for this one - it definitely wasn't for me. I might like it on a man, but it's the only BPAL I've tried that I wanted to wash off my wrist immediately. I thought about using it more creatively to anoint a candle, etc. but I will probably end up swapping it out for something I will wear. I could certainly use the good "Horn of Plenty" mojo in my life right now (couldn't we all?) so this was one of the first I reached for to test ...

Verdict: Reading over the reviews on the site, I suspect its the almond note that doesn't agree with me, which is disappointing ...

cherries and vetiver, which would be wonderful if there was a third note in there to balance it out. it's a similar cherry to the one in bloody mary, at least with my skin chemistry (though i think that it's actually the same almond that's in hecate the longer that it's on the skin) and the smoky vetiver reminds me a lot of st. john's eve. it's just a weird blend with my chemistry, but i still haven't figured out if i like it-even with 3 or 4 wearings.

i think that the bigger issue for me that is that it makes me feel a little weird which is probably not a good thing for a conjure bag blend. i'll stick to high john when i need a money pull. it's probably more of a personal association for me but this blend makes me feel more like being thankful for what i already have than attracting more of something and i don't want to be putting up blocks.

In bottle: Bubble gum, herbs, red berries, and paint thinner. There is no way I’m putting this on my skin.

It smells kind of cookieish on me which I definitely don't mind. It also smelled that way in the imp as well.

Don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot - I know I'm definitely wanting it to. :)

I really like it.

I'll update as it's on me longer since I just put it on.

I do feel happier wearing it and like things are going my way and will only get better...

This was a freebie, which was very exciting as I've been wanting to try some voodoo oils for a while!

In the imp it just smelled sweet to me, no discernable notes.

Wet: Holy Coconut! I mean, serious, tangy Hawaiin Tropic coconut. Nothing else. Moderate throw.

Dry down: Kind of plastic-y sweet, like (I think someone else said it already) scented plastic toys. Did anyone else have Rose Petal Place dolls... This is not bad however there is very little throw and I prefer to wear scents that enter a room before me and leave after I do.

I am wearing this today whilst I draw up a dissertation presentation for end of semester assessment... I'm hoping that because I've worn Horn of Plenty while making my slides that I'll get tops marks when I do present! Fingers crossed.

Edited to add: By the end of the evening it had morphed into a raw cookie dough smell (sans chocolate chips). Really yummy but barely there, sadly.

Edited by trumpette

Like so many others, I received this free with an order of samples. What a lovely gesture, to give away an oil intended to bring prosperity to its recipient. Good practice.

I never would have selected this on my own, and even though I like it, it's not "me." In fact I decided to try this out at home tonight in case it disagreed with me.

In the bottle, like black cherry soda, scrumptious. A tad medicinal.

I put it on and smelled the tobacco. I smell not just a hint, but a lot of tobacco. Somehow, it doesn't overpower or come across as too masculine. I smell almonds and fruit, maybe vanilla. I also think leather. If there are flowers in this, I'm not experienced enough to define which ones.

A curious quality of Horn of Plenty is that it's almost hollow. Its heart notes are elusive; the powdery tobacco envelops something I can't quite determine, but tobacco isn't its heart note.

This scent creates a definite image: lying on a leather sofa in a warm, mahogany-lined study redolent of expensive cigars, a snifter of aged brandy in hand. Rich and deep brown. Well done! We'll see whether it brings any money luck-- I could certainly use some! :)

Edited by lolcat