Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

Cheshire Cat

CHESHIRE CAT

Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender.

In the vial: grapefruit and lavender.

On the skin: This didn't last too long on me, and turned almost lotion/soapy after a few hours. I'm not sure if it was the chamomile or the delphinium I didn't like. It's a crisp scent, with a heavy citrus note.

(edit to add Lab description)

Edited by bat

I smelled this at a meet & sniff back when it was a discontinued scent and fell tragically in love. I'm a sucker for grapefruit topnotes. When it was resurrected I bought an imp. It may not be everything I imagined from that love-at-first-sniff experience some months ago, but it's definitely an enjoyable, refreshing scent.

Cheshire Cat is sparkly at first, like a grapefruit soda with a twist of currant. The chamomile and delphinium give it a soft sweetness that's just slightly powdery. I think the lavender adds to the coolness and tartness, but its astringency is tempered by the other notes.

The soft-sweet element of CS sticks around the longest, and reminds me quite a bit of TAL Lionheart. (Does delphinium smell like heliotrope?)

Overall, this is a light, summery, fun oil that's sweet and comforting without being at all cloying.

This scent confused my nose something awful. Powdery grapefruit, sharp! Lavender and current? Musk? I felt like I'd crushed up some of those Smartie candies into powder and snorted them. Owww! So, very much not for me, though I gave it two tries :P

This blend is perfectly blended! It is one of the most complex, amusing and happy fragrances I have ever tried. This IS the cheshire cat. This blend has certainly lifted my mood at 7 in the morning, which is entirely strange in itself!

The combination of sharp citrus & soft lavender is quite strange; neither overpowers the other, and the result is a powdery-tart sweetness. It reminds me a bit of King of Hearts in this respect, but with grapefruit instead of cherry.

I don't think it was all that particularly long-lasting, but that could be partially due to the extreme heat & sweating happening in this part of the country.

At any rate, it's a pleasant and cute scent.

Ah...this one has notes in it that I can't pick out, no matter how I try. It's beautiful, though! I notice the lavender and currant, and when this dries a bit the grapefruit comes out. It is a melange that is lovely to wear, but leaves my nose confused. It's pretty though, and will have a place in my repertoire.

I was so happy when this got brought back! :D I've wanted to try out a grapefruit scent and one that has red currant is just that much more tempting.

In the vial - Wow, when it says grapefruit, it means grapefruit.... :P I am getting some of the chamomile in there and certainly the musk is in the background.

Wet - Grapey grapefruit! :D And some musk, but lots 'o fruity!

Drying - I. Am. Loving. This. The citrus is making nice with the herbs and the lavender, something I've never been that big on, it mixing in the most lovely ways, all with a dashing background of the musk. Serious yum.

Dry (45 minutes) - This is ungodly good. There's very, very little throw, but the grapefruit-chamomile is mellowing with the musk in the loveliest ways with the lavender just hanging out for a little sweetness. I want to drink this!

Overall - This'll take slathering, but it's incredibly good in a really unusual way. There's no currant in it at all from me, from start to finish, but I don't miss it. The sweet musky grapefruit is magical!

In the bottle - Soft rounded grapefruit with the chamomile providing a backdrop.

Wet on me - Grapefruit peel, with an airiness provided by the musk and a floral, which I guess is the delphinium.

Dry on me - Soft, powdery and delicate without really smelling of anything.

Overall - Nice enough, but not me and very rapid fading.

In the imp: curranty musky citrus. Sharp but somehow dark.

On me, wet: powdery sharp citrus and lavender and.. hmm, I guess that's chamomile, the soft herbiness. Interesting.

On me, dry: very powdery grapefruit over soft fruity musks and herbs, and fading fast. Mrf. It's also a little reminiscent of a bathroom cleanser, later on.

Verdict: Off to the swaps pile it goes. I'm starting to think that maybe grapefruit isn't a scent that works on me.

Gorgeous, gorgeous soft herbal grapefruit in the bottle.

On, grapefruit! and lavendar, and something sweet and quiet in the background.

As the grapefruit burns off, musk comes in to fill its spot, and that sweetness starts to bloom. Unfortunately this becomes increasingly powdery as it settles, and within an hour, that's all this is: sweet musky candy powder.

Is it wrong to keep reapplying just to have that flawless beginning? Naw, I won't. but I will be hunting down more scents with grapefruit, that's for sure.

I'm wearing Cheshire Cat right now and it's making me crazily cheerful. I put it on right after a shower and the scent has me feeling like I took the pinkest bubble bath ever mixed. It's citrusy to be sure. While wet it was especially like a pink grapefruit. As it dries down it's getting more powdery and surrounding me in this gentle, insane pink cloud. It's very much a mood altering scent. I don't feel as though I could do anything but smile while wearing it.

Yummy yummy. Definitely the best of my latest lab order, a beautiful clean and fresh smelling zingy grapefruit. There is a little of Shanghai's freshness in this oil, but it is more rounded with hints of lavendar and chamomile peeking out. Its not too sweet which means that I can wear it with abandon (can't do sweet fruity scents).

On drydown after about 2 hours I start to get a skin musk scent which rounds off this oil nicely. No currant which is a good thing as far as I'm concernd! Yep, Cheshire Cat is a delight to wear either as a day or a going-to-sleep scent. Lovely :P

This imp should be interesting...

I'm really curious about how it's going to go - because some of the notes are amazing to me - others scare me.

Upon the first sniff there is that grapefuit..with lavender a bit underneath..with a LITTLE bit of a musky tone to it..Very interesting.

On my skin I pretty much only get grapefruit though, and it honestly does smell like I have grapefruit juice on my skin...it's very summery, and fresh and light...but I don't think I would want to smell like a giant grapefruit.

As it dries down, it becomes even lighter, and the musk comes out a bit more along with the lavender...

It's almost powdery.

It's pretty, but I'm not sure I love it.

I won't be swapping out the imp, because I don't HATE it - but as of right now - I don't think I want a larger bottle of this...Maybe in future if I keep using the imp - my opinion will change.

I just wanted to add - that after about two hours of wearing this...it turned into something amazing...

Almost like a citrus candy...I like that :P

Larger bottle please! :D

Edited by BrightRedScream

This scent was a complete surprise for me. I never really looked at the notes nor ever really wanted to try it. Trying this through the discontinued sniffing circle was a complete surprise for me. (the Circle started before CC was resurrected.)

Once on the skin, it’s fruity smelling. I’m having a hard time picking out notes. After it’s been on a while, I think the chamomile comes out and melds with the musk. It actually reminds me of my memory of Satan and Death with Sin Intervening. There’s an element in here that almost smells a bit yeasty, which is really interesting. It only lasted for a couple minutes but while it was there, quite unexpected. I can smell the lavender, chamomile, the grapefruit adds a bit of tartness and the currant adds a touch of fruitiness but is not overpowering like current or fig can sometimes do to a blend. After it’s been on a for a while, the currant really comes out and is the dominant scent. It’s got good staying power and has lasted through several handwashings.

I would characterize this as a mildly fruity, lavender blend initially going to a fruity blend over time. Based on the name and my general conception of it as a grapefruit blend, I wasn’t expecting this at all.

In the imp: It smells sweet, and I can defiantly smell the grape fruit.

Wet: Yep. That's grape fruit all right. Yay!

Dry: ^___^ Still smells like grape fruit. I am a happy camper.

In the imp: This isn't immediately obvious, but that only makes sense, since I haven't tried anything with a grapefruit note before.

Wet: This is very strong, and fruity. I can definitely detect grapefruit, but there's something spicy underneath--perhaps the currant?

Drydown and wear: Yes, the currant and musk are at work here, giving this a very interesting and languid quality. There's a real spicy kick to this that is more appealing to me as it dries down. This is not a scent I was expecting to be all that enamored with, and I really enjoy it.

Straight on skin: yes, grapefruit. Lovely in this late summer weather.

After a while: Mmmm, there is more to this kitty. The scent as a whole has a translucent quality. The musk gives it a bit of creaminess. Not a zingy grapfruit scent, but a pleasant soft one.

In the Imp: Mmm, lavender and grapefruit, light and lovely.

Initial Wet: Just like in the imp, lavender and citrus, but with a hint of chamomile.

Initial Dry: Still very lavender--my skin must really like the lavender in this one. The currants are coming through and don't seem to be going bad as they often do. It's a nice tart-sweet underneath the citrus. Every once in a while I can smell the tiniest bit of musk, then when I sniff again, it's gone. I would classify this as a springtime scent, very uplifting and light to me.

Drier Dry: Gone and not even a hint of a smile left. The hubby says he can smell a hint of something, but I can't smell anything.

I got this because it got un-discontinued and was eager to try something that was good enough to be resurrected. The currants should have been a warning away, but I decided to be adventurous, especially because I love lavender. It was very nice while it lasted.

This little kitty was nice, juicy grapefruit. I couldn't pick out any other notes, which is good in the case of lavender, but I would have liked to have the musk appear. This scent didn't last very long at all and practically faded away right after drying. A nice pick-me-up scent while it lasted.

In the bottle: Definitely grapefruit, with something else tempering it down. It's not as sharp as orange.

Wet on skin: This smells way better on my skin than in the bottle. It's a very sweet citrus, with a touch of currant. I can't detect any lavendar though.

Dry on skin: It's a little more musky, but very much a grapefruit scent. It's light without being so faint I can't smell it.

Verdict: I want my 5ml bottle of this! My imp is almost gone. I used this almost every day while I worked at a middle school and it really helped to wake me up. It's also great for those early morning classes we all love so much...

In the bottle: sugary tart citrus.

Initial application: grapefruit, with just a touch of flowery sweetness.

Drydown: more of the same, though the sweetness softens it a bit. It's a cheerful scent, and it does actually make me picture the Cheshire Cat in the Disney version of Alice (see icon). On the down side, it fades quickly, and on a personal level, it's a little too tart and fruity for my tastes.

Smiley rating: :P

This is lovely, with grapefruit and...other stuff.

It is not as powerful as Baobhan Sith on me, though. I will hold on to it for its loveliness, but if I do not reach for it often, I will swap the Cheshire Cat.

i tried this from a friend who had it, and i was surprised by how much i liked it! i don;t get all those notes though, i really only think the grapefruit and red currant come out (maybe the chamomile). i dont get the dark musk at all, but i'd love it if i did. it was a light, clear grapefruit scent mostly. very pretty, fresh and summery with a little sweetness.

In the bottle: pink grapefruit. Wow, I've been dreaming of a nice grapefruit scent for a long time.

On my skin: grapefruit and something herbal (probabil chamomile). Nice!

After a couple of hours: lavender shows. But still a lovely grapefruit scent.

Verdict: pretty, lovely, I need more!