Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

Cheshire Cat

CHESHIRE CAT

Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender.

In the bottle: The main scent was the sharp grapefruit scent. I almost put it back to try a different one today but thought I'd be adventureous.

Wet: I could definitely smell other scents coming into play. The grapefruit faded but there was still an undefined fruitiness...but not fruity. It isn't really a floral either...If that makes sense.

An hour later: It has melded to the point where I can't distinguish a single note but it has the overall impression of walking through an overgrown orchard in the sunshine. There is a bit of fruit in there along with a bit of floral...no one thing overwhelms the other. There is something in there that I've never smelled before and it might be the delphinium...or just the way they meld together. This is a great spring/summer scent...definitely a keeper.

A couple of hours later: Still a very wonderful scent but mostly faded. If I had the imp with me, I'd reapply because I love the scent. I still like it and will probably get more.

In the bottle: Pleasantly bright. Very cheerful.

On: Am I smelling mint under those other scents? Slightly manic smelling. I'm definately getting the grin. It's very clean.

Dry: Fruity and clean. Very bright, with a whisper of musk underneath. A cheery scent. Very pink.

I like this, but I don't see myself wearing it.

In the bottle: sweet and citrussy.

On: Tart and clean.

Later: mellows down to the more floral, musky scent. I like it, but I'm not sure it will win out against others. On me it mellows very quickly, within an hour of applying.

first sniff:

FRUIT!!!!!!!!!!! i love fruit scents, so i put this on immediately.

on:

the fruit very quickly faded into a floraly blend with the undertones of citrus. slightly mad indeed =D. i wish that crazy fruit smell had lasted, but it's lovely nonetheless.

I love the manic quality of this oil. It was fruity, changeable, mad indeed!

I like fruity scents as well. The grapefruit, currant and chamomile were what I mostly smelled. I could well imagine The Chesire Cat grinning when he caught the scent of this one.

This one didn't fade on me but stayed pretty strong for hours.

Oh, yeah. Grapefruit. Chamomile. A hint of lavender.

Of course, the Cheshire Cat smells like you took these things, put them in a giant vat with the red currants, and threw Lucille Ball in to squish things up. I say that because one minute she's stepping on a grapefruit, the next, a bit of lavender - they're all blended, but from time to time there's a burst of one note while the others hang above it all.

The delphinium is actually fainter to my nose than the lavender, although neither are overpowering. The delphinium and chamomile seem to be the ribbon on this package - they're frosting, but they're also what's holding the other layers of the cake together. In this case, it happens to be a berry tart.

Nicely done, and lovely for spring or summer. A good scent for most any fragrance "type", too.

Initial Impression:

Mad, delightful and very citrusy. Sweet pink grapefruit.

After Wearing It:

When I first put this on, I hated it. All I could smell was the grapefruit, but it wasn't a sweet, round grapefruit note. It was horribly sour and almost bitter. Kind of like swallowing a big mouthful of any type of citrus fruit juice right after brushing your teeth. But, since I have a policy of letting all fragrances run their course on my skin, I didn't wash it off.

Fortunately, things got much better. The other notes (particularly the red currant) started gaining strength and balanced out the scent, smaking it smoother, sweeter. The final result was a sweet, subtle, slightly floral & powdery berry scent with a touch of tart grapefruit. I just wish the end result was as powerful as its opening act because by that point it had faded quite a bit.

Final Thoughts:

I'm going to have to wear this again before I make a final decision about how I feel about this fragrance. I've found that sometimes after wearing a scent once, the initial effects that I may not like are often shortened or sometimes even completely eliminated. Here's hoping!

Definitely smelling the grapefruit in this one...as well as the roman chamomile (though that could be because I was using some roman chamomile earlier for bath bombs), with a floraly aftertone. It's certainly a unique scent, though not one I will wear...the dark musk is going on my personal bad list of scents.

Initial Sniff: The grapefruit gets my attention first, but it is made slightly... mad... by the unexpected background of floral and musk. Very strange indeed!

Wearing: All I can smell for the first hour is bitter, sour grapefruit. I perservere, and it fades to a chemical cleaner scent - think Lysol Island Breeze with just a touch more citrus.

Final Impressions: I was very intrigued by the smell of this in the vial but it just doesn't work with my body chemistry.

First sniff: Cheshire Cat is definite grapefruit in the vial, but not as bright or biting as Baobhan Sith. Not much sugar on this one – again it’s the slightly bitter scent of grapefruit peel.

Wearing: For some reason my skin + bitter grapefruit = sugared grapefruit like you’d eat for breakfast. YAY. I like this on me a lot more than in the vial. It’s much juicier and sweeter. I keep getting little whiffs of the musk, and it’s a bit strong, but it’s very occasional so I’m trying to ignore it. The musk fades out quickish so even if I sniff my wrist I can't smell it, and the overall impression was very nice and cheering in a stressful week - I’m definitely wearing this one again.

I can't get enough of the opening grapefruit and lavender (and currant?) combination. Unfortunately, it dries down into a sweet powdery smell. I think it's the musk. I'm going to have to try some single note grapefruit.

In the bottle: Yikes! Very citrus! And there's something else there that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not really sure I'll be liking this one.

Wet: Um... still not loving this one. The citrus smell is there, and there's something else that's hitting the back of my nose in a not-so-happy way.

Dry: Okay, I'm liking this one now. The grapefruit isn't as overpowering as in the bottle or wet. And the other scents are coming into play in a delicous way. It's not too powdery yet, which I was afraid of. It's got a sort of musky flavor to it, but it's sweet, too.

Final Impressions: This is definitely a spring/summer scent for me. It's so clean and sweet, with just a hint of musk. I'm digging it. I don't know if it would be a great fall/winter scent -- maybe on those days when you need a little spring-time sweetness with just a hint of something mysterious.

Ooh... mysterious sunshine :P

BTW -- my first review! Hope I did okay!

Well, I've been putting off trying this one out, not because I didn't think I'd like it, but rather because it was such a confusing scent in the bottle that I wasn't sure what to think about it. Plus I kept waking up and thinking, "God, I'd love to wear more...(insert a BPAL scent here that I've tried and loved)" It's hard to give up a day wearing a delicious scent in order to try a new one...Even if the new ones seems like it'll be wonderful also.

In the Bottle

This one definitely smells like grapefruit -- it's the first thing I smell. Other people can only pick up a citrus note, but for me, it's like being slapped in the face with a fresh wedge of grapefruit. Surprising, more than offensive. It's the sort of shock that makes you chuckle after you've finished assimilating what just happened. But then, just then, I'm able to pick up this musky scent, and then, something sweet. I'm thinking the sweet is the currant, or perhaps the florals... Either way, this smells perfect for the Cheshire Cat. Totally fitting. The smell confuses me though, and intrigues me at the same time.

Wearing It

When I put this on, there's still the loud splash of grapefruit and sweet muskyness, but it dies down real suddenly. Within about ten minutes of applying it, I shove my wrist into my boyfriend's face (he's been so patient with my perfumery obsession lately...), and ask him what he smells. Flowers, he says. Anything else? Nope. Just flowers. I give it a sniff, and while I can still catch a bit of the citrus/currant tones, it's predominantly flowers (almost like a department store floral perfume) with a hint of muskyness.

An hour an a half later, the scent has changed again, only this time it's a really weird shift. It's turned into a smooth, creamy, butterscotch scent. No kidding. A friend of mine gives me a hug, and mentions that I smell great. I ask her what I smell like. Butterscotch and milk, she says. I'm incredulous, but for some reason I haven't really noticed the change yet (just the fact that the flower smell has died down, and the fragrance has clung closer to my body than the rest of the BPAL scents) -- but when I smell my wrists, lo and behold, Butterscotch! It's amazing. And weird.

I really love the way this smells in the bottle, and I really liked the way this smelled on another friend of mine. But on me, I have absolutely no clue why it behaves like a schizophrenic. I do like the smell of butterscotch, and the taste, but not so much as a body odor. More importantly, I really love citruses, and I would have loved for this to have kept the same scent that it had out of the bottle, except perhaps a bit less potent. Unfortunately, c'est ne pas. So, I guess I'm just going to have to get a good friend to wear it so that I can sniff their wrists constantly. :P

sniffed from the imp: Sharp lavender! and then dusty chamomile. Waah, no fruit for me. :D

upon application: wow, this is weird, each wrist smells different! Different florally notes that I can't identify on one wrist, musk on the other. I'm putting more on...

a little later: ok, now I'm getting some berry + musk + floral action. I can't detect the lavender or chamomile notes now, they must have blended. And I don't recall that my delphiniums ever had any scent, maybe that is part of it. Heh, I must have sniffed too deeply because now I taste musk in the back of my throat and I sneezed. :D

much later: sweet lovely musky floral, not powdery at all. I never detected any grapefruit or citrus at all, and the berry was fleeting. I like this a lot! I am also going to test it again when I'm not on my period. :P

Edited by Dulci

Okay, I only had this one on for a short while, mainly because it made me sick.

In the bottle, it's very sweet .. citrusy .. the grapefruit I imagine. I get a touch of muskiness too, but overall it smells sweet.

Sadly, the moment I put it on my skin it turned into a nightmare. Bad BO. Horrid, nasty, stinky feet. That smell that dirty hippies wear patchouli to cover. Ugh. I left it a while, hoping that maybe it would settle down to something tolerable. Nope. Still nasty BO. *cries*

It wasn't just me either. jason had the exact same reaction with it. I was thinking maybe it might have been because of my cycle .. but .. him too? Gah. Anyway, we're going to try it again in a week's time. Hopefully, it won't always be that bad.

well, I think this one is the first to be truly bad on me. there have been those I didn't like, but this was just bad. in the imp it smelled mostly of citrus to me. on the citrus was there, but there was this strange scent there too, like burning plastic, or a diaper. really not for me.

When wet, the Cheshire Cat smelled almost entirely like lavender. It was strong and pervasive to the point where I almost washed off the scent.

After a few minutes, the lavender mingled with the chamomile creating a drowsy, bedttime atmosphere. The other scents, particularly the grapefruit, never manifested themselves strongly but they added to the richness of the overall perfume.

I don't know if I would ever wear this during the day but it is a great scent for sleeping and I had some interesting dreams.

Cut a ripe, juicy pink grapefruit in half and sprinkle it with sugar. That's what Cheshire Cat smells like on me when freshly applied. Sharp, tangy and strong, and yeah, I'm also getting some minty freshness underneath the citrus.

After a few minutes, the tartness starts to fade and mellows down, and I start to get the berries and flowers. The chamomile and lavender are both lurking back there, and I think this is where the powdery quality is coming from on the drydown. I'm still getting the mint, although not as much as when first applied.

This one ends up very floral and sweet on my skin with barely a trace of the very strong grapefruit top note. As others have said, this is a great warm-weather scent, very refreshing and happy.

Just like the Cheshire Cat's grin, it starts out strong and mad and slowly fades into the twilight. I'm not generally a fruity-scent person, but this is really really nice.

This smells so delicious out of the bottle: like very fat, jolly marmalade! Wearing, the citrus mellows out and the berry and floral and herbacious notes come through. Really scrumptious, reminding me of Sunday teatimes eating buttered muffins with marmalade and blackcurrant jam in front of the fire. I hadn’t realised the Cheshire cat was so cuddly and playful! I’m going to enjoy the imp very much, and may purchase a larger bottle – I’m loving wearing it.

First Sniff

Lavender and grapefruit. Interesting....

Drydown

A sharpness of citrus again, (but no redcurrant yet) and a whirl of sweet flowers that are too

well blended to name. Liking it so far.

After a While

A touch of redcurrant, but only if I really sniff my wrists. Still floral and citrussy.

Final Verdict

Lasting power on this one is poor. The scent is nice but not nice enough for a big bottle.

In the vial to me this was pure grapefruit, but on my skin it was so much more. It initially has a spiciness that reminds me of the clove in March Hare, that same combo of tart fruit and soft spice that works so wonderfully on my skin (March Hare has a fleeting lemony note on me, and this has that same wonderful interplay of citrus and spice).

Then, as it dries down more, this unspeakably gorgeous softness comes through... I have no idea if it's the chamomile or the lavender or what, but it's not like any lavender I've ever smelled before, it's young and fresh and OOOOOOOOOOOOh I just want more and more of this smell!!

As I slather on more and more, I do get the mint, but beautifully blended into that other gorgeous soft smell. The grapefruit has *almost* become secondary by now, just giving the other notes a canvas on which to play.

This is like the very best aspects of Baobhan Sith and Veil put together (I assume that soft smell must be lavender, but I like it so much better here than I've ever liked it before).

So in other words, this is beautiful!!! THANK YOU so, so so much, Beth, for this amazing freebie imp in my order -- it has made my day gorgeous!!

In the bottle, I found this one to be absolutely gorgeous, so I went a little kooky and put on quite a bit of the Cat. I needed to, since it wasn't as strong as some of the other scents I had tried on, possibly due to the grapefruit.

The grapefruit, chamomile and lavendar do a wonderful job in charming me out of my socks. The Cheshire Cat was gorgeous, and I received a lot of (fished) compliments around the office ("Here, smell me!"). It's a lovely scent I'd love to have in a larger bottle, which I would need since this doesn't have much staying power (my only grievance).

All in all, I really loved this fragrance. Another one I'd like to marinate it, please.

-doreen

When first applied; grapefruit but my nose thinks it can smell apple too. I am just catching the lavender when I concentrate.

This is drying to a spiky floral, I can still feel the grapefruit, but the redcurrant hasn’t yet appeared.

After about 45 minutes I start to smell the redcurrant. Weird how this has gone from floral to fruity; I still love it though.

Cheshire Cat didn’t stick around for long; how true to character disappearing bit by bit. This perfume is lovely and amused me immensely.

I'm trying to imagine what an overgrown English garden would smell like from a cat's height, and I think this is it.

I get a grapefruit-lavender combination initially, quickly fading into the chamomile. Those also fade (I guess Cheshire Cat climbs the tree at this point), mingling into a really soft fruity-floral.

My skin eats this one up fast, but it's going to be pretty as a room fragrance.

For me this initially smells like grapefruit laced with more placid delpinium to keep it under control. As it dries down more of the chaos errupts and the chamomine and current gives it an unearthly cheeriness (sunshine is an apt description) whilst the dark musk and lavender presides to give an air of mysteriousness which is the essense of the Cheshire Cat.

Its an interesting composition to wear but would be an excellent choice to ward off depression.