Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

Zephyr

A gentle white scent, breezes laced with the scent of springtime blooms and citrus. Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

i love vanilla, bergamont and citrus, i'm on the fence on verbena, white musk and white sandalwood and i can't stand white florals.

the white floral note isn't too strong, the vanilla, bergamot and citrus calm it down a bit but it's still not my thing.

it kinda reminds me other this lady who use to live next door to my parents when i was a child, she was a typically 80's girl going to dance school, cute, a little too thin, super cool in the eyes a of an eight year old but addicted to coke.....

Zephyr

In the imp: gorgeous soft muted lemon and sugar with white musk/flowers. Could this be the sweet lemon scent I've been looking for?

Wet on skin: mmm, white musk and lemon, with a touch of sweetness.

Dry on skin: this is gorgeous! So fresh and so clean! Lemon, bergamot and neroli add their tang to a delicious crisp, soft layer of white musk, with a bit of floral and sandalwood, sweetened so nicely by vanilla. It's a clean and sunny scent that wouldn't be out of place on washed linens hanging on a line but not a really soapy scent, the white musk and vanilla help to stop the scent from going all soapy on me. and there's that hint of lemon sugar to it that I love.

After a while: the scent retains it's hint of lemony freshness, but the musk is stronger now, making the scent soft, white and pure. There's a very slight soapiness to the scent but it's so minor, it doesn't distract the loveliness of this scent overall. There's effervescence to it, bubbly, zingy, airy and fresh, and I just love the vanilla's sweetening touch. It's a bit like a lighter, fresher Dorian. The scent also has a slight ozone feel to it, fitting with the clean, breezy feel of the scent.

The final drydown is a clean, sweetish musk which is very slightly reminiscent of one of my Egyptian Musk perfumes. I like this stage a lot.

Verdict: this is such a lovely, light, sweet white scent with a citrus zing. First I get a lovely lemon-sugar scent smoothed out by white musk, which then becomes a clean, fresh, breezy white musk with a hint of citrus still lingering and sweetened so nicely by vanilla (vanilla + musk = match made in heaven). The scent does have a hint of soap to it, but it's just a hint, gives the impression of clean laundry drying in the breeze (I wish there was detergent that smells like this!). this scent is soft, bright and will be lovely in spring and summer. I'm unsure as to whether I'll get a bottle (it is quite similar to Dorian, which I prefer) but I'm going to use up this imp, because I like this a lot. And it's got a sugary and almost creamy lemon scent to it, which is what I've been searching for in BPAL-and I found it.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Fresh From The Imp: Wow. This reached up and smacked me hard to get my attention. Pungent, and quite sharp.

Wet On My Flesh: It's instantly different once it's on my wrist, much more subtle with the tiniest hint of musk, which has a habit of being smoky on me.

Drying Down: The musk is more powerful now, losing some of it's smoky quality.

Hour To Integrate: Never seemed to get much of the lemon, though that may have been what was sharp to begin with. It's much more musky overall, and I can begin to detect the vanilla now.

End Of Day/Final Report: I've got two imps of this. I'll keep one on hand for when I'm feeling darker, and swap out the untouched one I got from the Lab.

Oops, correction. Looks like the original imp I got in a swap leaks, so I'll just keep both of them. :P

Imp: Mmmmm. Musk and lemon and a hint of white floral.

Wet: Smells so much like Dorian! Only lighter and less smoky. Definitely getting some neroli and lemon, but other than that, a LOT like Dorian.

Dry: Musk and vanilla and a touch of citrus. The floral rises and fades over and over. So there's the occasional breath of pale, light floral, but it never takes over. I am totally in love. I'm thinking this will be my spring/summer version of Dorian, which might get to be a bit much in the warm weather.

Oh, and have I mentioned it reminds me a lot of Dorian? Cuz it does. :P Thankfully, Dorian loves me, and now, so does Zephyr!

My little imp of Zephyr has been getting quite a bit of use lately, as the weather has turned a bit warmer and it just seems right. The lemon verbena/white musk combo here is just so creamy and warm. The sandalwood and vanilla come out on the drydown for me and round out the white florals perfectly.

Zephyr definitely reminds me of Dorian, sans tea, and the lemony base of Chiroptera. Lovely stuff.

In the vial: soft white florals and lemon.

Wet: Vanilla, white floral, soft musk.

Dry: All of the scents dry down nicely together. Moderate throw and long lasting.

Zephyr

3/15/06

Wet: Light and floral. Not such a fan.

Dry: Still floral, also powdery. It’s not an unpleasant scent but I don’t want to smell like this all day.

Wow, Zephyr was reminding me of another Lab scent, but I couldn't put my finger on which one until I saw the reviews that mentioned its similarity to Dorian. That's it! Just muskier (light musk, but musk nonetheless), like the musk is taking the place of the tea, and with that neroli bite. A little powdery, too. It's pretty! I'll have to see how often I reach for the imp, but I imagine it will be an excellent spring scent.

Mm. I like! I wasn't expecting to- I am not a big lemon fan, and neroli often goes Quite Wrong on me. Surprise! The drop of vanilla becomes the major note on my skin, with soft sandalwood and musk, and a hint of effervescence, which I'm thinking is the lemon- it's not lemony at all, per se, on my skin.

Reminds me of Dorian actually. Definitely bottle material.

For me, 4.5 out of 5- this is a truly nice blend. Especially versatile too.

EDITED TO ADD: I usually write reviews without reading them first- I didn't know others had compared this to Dorian! Glad I'm not the only one smelling that similarity.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Citrus backed with floral sweetness and vanilla. For me, this resolves after a few sniffs to the exact smell of lemon cake, probably with white frosting and those little white-and-yellow candy flowers that your mom buys at the supermarket to spruce up your birthday cake when you are five.

This is not an unpleasant smell, but I have the same problem with it that I have with all scent-of-baked-product smells: they make me think about getting another helping of dessert.

Imp: Lemon and white musk. This is SO similar to Dorian. Dorian without the super cake-y vanilla part.

Wet: Same as in the imp, mostly. The lemon is a little less pronounced, though, and I get more white musk and the tea-like scent of bergamot.

Dry: Very fresh, slightly powdery. Sadly (because I love Dorian), this becomes less like Dorian as it dries. It's starting to go powdery AND soapy on me. It's less sweet dry than wet. Even though I'm exaggerating the powder/soap, it's musky, clean and sophisticated. Under the powder soap, I can smell that lemony white musk that I loved from Dorian--especially towards the end. Lasts about 10+ hrs and has good throw.

Overall: I could see some guys pulling this off well. I wish that it wasn't going powdery/soapy on me, cuz I can smell how nice it would be otherwise--hints of slightly creamy lemon and pale pretty musks. I tend to be unexcited about thing when they go the way of powder/soap. Final verdict, on my skin Zephyr = Dorian-sweet vanilla + soapy sandalwood + powdery florals. If Dorian was too foody/sweet for you, this is a great option, but I'll be sticking with D.

edited to add: I tried this more than a year later (June 2007), with the following result:

Still reminds me of a less sweet/vanilla Dorian. What was interesting this time round what that I got a lot of a non-white musk (in addition to the white musk, though). Must've been the China Musk making a stand. And I'm thinking that maybe china musk was one of the many in Smut, because this last try of Zephyr smelled like Smut musks plus a less sweet Dorian. That is all....

Edited by jewelbug

In the imp: a very faint waft of citrus and vanilla and sandalwood.

On me, wet: an even fainter sharp citrus, and a very faint waft of vanilla. I can barely smell this at all, frankly.

On me, dry: okay, I cannot smell this at all now - it seems to hit a weird blind spot in my sense of smell. My SO informs me that, while it is pretty subtle, it exists and is rather nice, in a 'sweet flowery candyfloss' way.

Verdict: Uh, well, I dunno if I can form an opinion here, really. But I probably won't keep the imp around.

Oh man, I am so pleased with this one. I smell the white musk almost immediately, and mixed with the bergamot and vanilla Zephyr smells like a tart lemon bar crossed with sunblock. Doesn't end up smelling like cake, though, which would cause me to give this a negative review (I don't like smelling like tacky baked goods,) but this musky, tart smell with a vanilla softness to temper it... is awesome. I only wish I knew how to make it last longer on my skin.

Bottle: paleness at first sniff - nothing standing out on it's own. I find it interesting when I can smell a shade..

Wet: I can catch the sweet of the vanilla, the white florals (nothing standing out there, tho), none of the lemon or musks. On the sweet side, but not overwhelming.

Dry: the floral is stepping in front of the vanilla, a hint of the neroli, and maybe the bergamot (some sniffs I get a hint, some I don't), but nothing else.

Later: Very gentle, subtle scent, and very spring. still none of the citrus (which doesn't upset me too much, foody notes don't tend to like me), nor the musk (which does sadden me). The drop of vanilla, as usual, is expanded to a greater than a drop effect, and the hints earlier haven't materialized to much standing. I can catch a bit of the sandalwood, but I'm still left with vanilla and pale, pale floral...which isn't unpleasant, per se, but I think this would be much lovelier on someone who has a better relationship with all of the notes in the blend.

In the imp: White musk, smoked vanilla and a hint of citrus. This is fresh and creamy and delish!

Wet: I get the bergamot when it first goes on, followed by a powdery white floral and then overtaken by the musk.

As it settles, the vanilla comes back out again and warms the blend. In a really, really strange way it sort of reminds me of Lush's American Dream, though without the strawberry. It's really, really, yummy and soft, and there is just the teensiest bit of floral in there. :P

Verdict: 3.5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrrve

White musk, sandalwood and florals in the bottle. This reminds me of something that I can't quite figure out. This really fits the name so far.

Once I put this on, the lemon verbena comes out. So light and bright! This is an early morning scent for me. Very joyous! Each scent is very light and breezy and happy. I feel so at peace smelling this.

I was hoping for lemon on this, and I did get a little lemony musk at first. But as usual, my skin ate that lemon right up, and I ended up smelling a little lemony-fresh and faintly incensy, like a shop in Chinatown that had left the door open to let some fresh air in.

Another scent I could have sworn I'd reviewed.

Zephyr is lemon to the nth degree in the bottle and while wet.

The scent is more sharp citrus than Pledge. Neroli and sandalwood come through nicely with a shot of bergamot in the background as it's drying, just as described by the Lab. Not getting the typical lemon oil reaction -- welts.

Disappears relatively fast to a soft, clean citrus blossom scent. In this scent category Queen of Diamonds is my femme citrus. I would make the distinction that Zephyr is a younger citrus rather than a mature citrus. As such there may easily be room for both in your scent wardrobe.

This imp is going traveling. Safe journeys!

This started off pretty and light, with a nice lemon blend, but quickly turned to a powdery mess on my skin. :P

at first, i smelled a lovely lemony floral! Then it got a bit musky...

Unfortunately, about 20 mins later, my arm is a big pile of musk, with no yummy lemon left.

off to the swap pile for this! :P

Ahh, refreshing! This is citrusy and fresh in the imp. The neroli and bergamot come out in the dry down with the white musk becoming to dominant scent. I really like this, but it's almost too masculine. I'll have to try it one of the boys.

in the vial:

Oh, yum. The lemon verbena jumps out at me the most, but it seems very well-blended. Fresh and white-smelling.

wet:

This one is indeed very well-blended - no one note dominates. It smells like a creamy, lemony white floral. Very pretty.

dry:

This is very light, but lovely. The lemon fades quite a bit, and it becomes a soft white floral with a musky base that makes me feel fresh and clean. Slightly soapy, in a good, fancy-soap way.

season: Spring and summer.

office-friendly? Yep - not heady at all.

overall:

A beautiful lemon-floral scent. I had a hunch I'd like this one, because I adore lemon verbena and bergamot, and I liked all the other notes a lot. It's not a hugely memorable scent, but would be great for everyday wear.

Zephyr - This is such a pretty scent! From the very first moment, it smells strongly of vanilla. The scent description says “a drop of vanilla,” but on my skin, it’s all vanilla with a hint of floral. I don’t smell any of the sandalwood, bergamot, lemon or lemon verbena. It’s all vanilla and white florals on me, and smells like a fraternal twin of Regan. This is a fabulous vanilla scent and next to Regan, my favorite vanilla blend so far. It has really powerful throw and phenomenal staying power, so I only need one drop on my body to be swathed in a swirl of sweet vanilla and florals for hours on end. I’m holding on tight to this one!

A line is dancing in my head: "The very soul of delicacy." It is perfect to describe Zephyr, a quiet, gentle little blend on my skin that does precisely what it said it would: describe a soft nighttime breeze, stirring the summer flowers and blossoming trees, in a bottle. It is the second movement of a nachtmusik (can't vouch if it is the Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, it has been too long since I played it) - soft and slow.

I can't even tell apart the different notes, it is so well-blended. Just the image.

I think this one fills a good niche in my perfume collection. I am keeping little Zephyr. Whether I will need more of him remains to be seen, but he has a home.