Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

Zephyr

A gentle white scent, breezes laced with the scent of springtime blooms and citrus. Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: some of the best blends I've ever tried are freebies from the lab I never would have otherwise considered.

Zephyr is light and clean, a summerry haze of pale yellow and white. The lemon adds a necessary high note to the creaminess but does so without being Pledge-y, which is what happens to so many lemons on me. The musks and white sandalwood ground it, and the vanilla smooths it all into a delicious, skin-loving melange.

It's funny, I've noticed with so many scents that my perception of them affects how I smell them. When I smell this and think of the description, I think of warm weather and the Greek god Zephyr. If the lab's description had said something about lemon cake or some other baked good, I suspect I would see that too. Both are appropriate for this one.

The question now is whether this is a 'me' blend. I definitely love smelling it, but I tend to associate resins and spices with my personality. Am I brave enough to cross boundaries? Time will tell.

This is a light, floral musk with just a bit of creamy lemon. I don't get any sandalwood, and I'm not sure that I can find the vanilla.

Zephyr is very soft and pretty, just what I was expecting from its name. It's similar to Dorian, but doesn't have the citrusy tang. I think that I prefer Dorian, but I'll use up my imp of Zephyr.

In Bottle: Smells fresh, a bit lemony but with a sweetness to it.

On Skin: Very lemony at the beginning, almost a bit like Lemon Pledge. But soon I get a whiff of something floral. It's very light and airy though.

On Drydown: The scent deepens, and I can smell some of the neroli and sandalwood underneath of it. Still lemony though. :P

Verdict: This is a lovely scent but I don't get a strong impression from it. I'll probably end up swapping this one.

Oh, now this scent I like!

Like many others, this was a lab freebie, and I am so glad! I thought I found all the scents with vanilla, but I completely skipped this one, which is sad, because it is so feminine and sexy on me!

I'm not surprised that I like this, vanilla and white sandalwood are some lovers of mine. :P This is really long lasting, too. I put it on around 10 last night, and I toss and turn all night but my wrist still smells like Zephyr...13 hours later! I used to think "long-lasting" for me was 6 hours maximum, but this takes long-lasting to a whole new level!

While the individual notes are hard for me to recognize, this has the same scent as Aeval does that made me love it--only without the "sitting by the pool" feeling. I think I like this one more.

The lab is great! ;D

This is a very light, summery scent, fresh and crystalline. It's a bit citrus peel-y, but not bitter. It's very nice, but not, I think, for me.

Oro

On me, this is very powdery and definitely feminine. (Luckily, I love powdery scents! I think it's the sandalwood that turns to baby powder on me.) I don't get much lemon, which is fine with me, but rather just a hint of citrus. Mostly I smell the musk and sandalwood--but they have a floral layer over them. It's sweet but not cloying, and very light. Perfect for summer. Onto my big-bottle list it goes! :P

OOOOoooooh! Lovely! It's a lovely white floral scent, but it's not overpoweringly flowery. There's a wondeful sweetness underneath, which I guess would be the vanilla. It's a tiny bit powdery, but it blends in so beautifully with the other ingredients. I can't really smell the lemon at all. This scent is ultra feminine, breezy, summery, perfect for the beach. It conjours images of tropical summer nights. Love it! :P

In the bottle sniff: I'm getting mostly soft lemon and white florals

Wearing: I really like the initial stage - it's lemony vanilla with a touch of sandalwood and light musk. It's got a soft and creamy quality.

After an hour or so: Unfortunately, the lemon has faded quite a bit and the light musk and white floral aspect has taken over on me as I feared it might.

Verdict: A beautifully done light summery musky vanilla floral with a teeny hint of lemon. I like this the best of all that I've tried of this genre - many of you will love it!. But it's just not me.

In the bottle this is very floraly and bright.

Wet on my skin it's very very floral. I don't like florals so this worried me.

Drydown: It's now lost a lot of the overt floral scent and sweetened up a little bit. I has gone extremely powdery.

Verdict: This ends up smelling just like Jean Nate powder on me. Very heavy powder scent with a littel musk and a little floral in the background.

In the vial: lemon. Sandalwood. Clean and sharp.

On: the lemon and sandalwood blend together for this high, crisp tone. The sandalwood fleshes out the lemon and the musk makes it all a touch cloudy instead of sharp, kind of softening the edges. A bit warmer than I would have pictured, and in a good way.

Drydown: It softens out into this exquisite lemony dry powdery scent.

It's a lovely blend, with layers to it. Very clear and high.

I'm undecided about it. I think it would be one where I'd always reach for something else depending on my mood. But then, it is a gorgeous, clean scent, good for days when I want something light and refreshing.

It's not going on my big bottle list. But I think I'll keep the imp.

Zephyr: This one is very masculine to me. I applied it to my son and it has a very strong spicy kick to it. I dont get any vanilla. Too manly for me. :P

:D

When Zephyr said hello to my skin, he quickly morphed into Snake Oil!

I have absolutely no idea how this happened, but as far as I can tell, the only difference would be the sweetness of Snake Oil lacking in Zephyr. Me thinks I must try them both, one on each wrist, to see what happens.... :P

Light, airy, fresh, lemony powder. Nice, but not really me. Might see if I can make a linen spray with it otherwise, off to swaps.

In the bottle:

Vanilla yummy-ness

On me:

Oooh Zephyr! How I love Zephyr! It seems to be somewhat of a trend that the lemon in any of the BPAL scents really never shows up on me. I've only had it show up maybe twice and I've tried many blends that had it listed in the notes. This is another case of that, the lemon and lemon verbena seem to be totally missing. To be honest, this scent is mostly the musks, vanilla, and sandalwood coming together beautifully to create a warm, sexy, and almost playful smell. The bergamot shows up a bit later on, but it's very faint and only acts as a compliment to the musks. This is definitely gender neutral, I could see this working on a male or a female.

Final note:

Big bottle must in my opinion. Especially if you love musk!

I was pretty wary of this when I opened the imp--all I could smell in the bottle was musk, and more musk! When I put it on, though, out came the lemon and floral...but there's still too much musk for me to want to keep it around :P

In the vial i get a lot of neroli and lemon. On my skin I get a nice citrus with a little bit of sandalwood. It's very airy and light. The sharpness fades very quickly. It's very pleasant and spring/ summery. I'm not sure if it is really for me though.

In the imp: strong, clean, white floral

On me: Sweetness (neroli) with a nice musk. One of the florals is making me sneezy, though, as everytime I went to sniff myself or my shirt I sneezed as soon as I sensed a white floral.

Overall: Sad that I reacted to one of the notes because the musk was very heavenly on me, which I never knew before. I thought it was a very nice light, sweet floral and I'm glad I got to try it. Hopefully someone will like it as much as I do and not sneeze at it.

Huh. All that's in there? Wow. Anyway, I got two imps of this one. The first imp smelt light and floral. Certainly very pleasant. The other smelt far more herbal and a little less pleasant. Don't know what happened there.

I tried the first one and on skin, it weakens into a generic powder-like colonge. However, the throw was quite strong, the overall scent pleasant and lasted until the next day. When burnt, it smelt the same, and while pleasant, ended up giving me a headache. Not a good sign.

I never tried the second imp at all and don't intend to.

I don't think Zephyr is a bad scent, but there's a lot of other scents better that don't give me a headache. 6/10.

Zephyr was all floral to my nose. It was pleasant enough in the vial, if a little more "floral-commercial-perfumey" than what I normally wear, and on my skin, the whoo-florals came out swinging. I can see how this would be an absoltely lovely blend, if it's your thing, and I sorta wish I had more lemon and vanilla out of this one, because I like those notes and some of the others, but something in this doesn't agree with me.

So, since the Lab was nice enough to gift it to me, I've done so for someone else. Hopefully the poor little impsie will find love. :P

This was an unexpected surprise! I don't use to like "aerial" scents, but this one is beautiful.

I get a soft citrus start (lemon, lemon verbena, bergamot) with a smooth vanilla edge.

The white flowers with the neroli standing between them and the cirtus faction make you want to go closer to sniff this perfume, because it has more on it that it just doesn't show of in the first contact.

Very nice indeed.

I first tried Zephyr several months ago, but that was in the midst of an imp-smelling orgy when an order came in, so I didn't really give it as much attention as it deserved - and now that my nose has "learned" a bit more, I can appreciate it better.

In the imp: strong, cool, and a bit herbal/citrusy - this is one of those blends that smells a bit alcoholy to me, even though I know there's no alcohol in there.

On my skin: Mmm, there's the musk! I'm not as familiar with the China musk, but have always been a huge fan of white musk. The lemony notes stay in the background, thankfully, just adding a hint of citrus to the blend. The sandalwood lends a light powderyness (a *good* kind of powder, though), and the white flowers provide a subtle sweetness.

Another blend for my bottle wishlist... lovely. :P

In the bottle: Lemon and cream together. Like a lemon ice cream or something.

On the skin, wet: Oh, the lemon's not coming out. It's more or less turning into something really sweet and buttery. Is that the vanilla coming out?

Drydown: Oh, no. That's the musk. Hmm. And this isn't very nice and light for a wind...it's kinda heavy, like a very womanly perfume. I'm not too sure about this, since my bro sniffed it and kinda went "Arrrrgh," (he did it for Skadi too).

Verdict: It's...well, nice, but the musk is a bit heavy on this one. If I wanted something with the musk, I've got the imp of Juliet which smells a lot nicer. I might not put it off to swaps, but I'd have to think about it.

In bottle: light and musky, with a hint of soft lemon and vanilla.

Wet on skin: the lemon cedes to light florals, and it's gentle flowers and musk, similar to white musk, all the way through the drydown.

This was a gift from the lab, my first BPAL light musk and a pleasant surprise. Very pretty and refreshing. A good scent for summer and makes me think of bounding barefoot through a meadow in slow motion. Really. Not very strong, I had to apply liberally to get a good dose of fragrance on me.

In the bottle

Lovely foody creamy lemon scent

On

lovely lovely lovely. The musk and the creainess and the lemon is like a sensual desert.

This is certainly the best lemon blend I've personally ever smelled from bpal, including Embalimg Fuid, The Star, etc.

30 minutes

Stays lovely, musky and lemony and sensual and yummy. :P

Throw:

more than average, yes.

Scent category:

Fruity/animalistic

Summary

It smells like Buck Moon except with lemon instead of herbs and it smells a touch more feminine.

Purchase again?

Yes. a 10ml. My husband even said he liked it alot. :D

1-5 rating (5 being best)

In the bottle: Clean, energetic floral - I loved the way it smelled & couldn't wait to try it on.

Wet, on me: Ugh. It smelled exactly like "Love's Baby Soft". No floral scents, no lemon, just nasty, obnoxious baby powder.

Dry, 1 hr later: No longer obnoxious, but still a one-note powder smell.

It must just be my body chemistry, because on my daughter it was a light, pleasant floral with only a bit of powder.

Edited by harmonyfb