Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Bunnyfuu

An Unusual Situation

I have an interesting delemma and I'm looking for some recommendations. While I know that generally one should wear perfume for ones own self, I would like to find a few scents that I think my boyfriend would enjoy. However, the problem is that his nose has been broken so many times, his sense of smell has been stunted. A lot of the scents I currently have he can't smell and a few that he can registers oddly. There are only two that I've found that he trully enjoys and I enjoy his reaction to these two scents.

It may be helpful to know that he is very food oriented and the two secents he enjoyes, that's what he pickes up on. He really likes Miskatonic University and also likes Doc C's Sassafrass Elixar. The one food scent I know for sure he wouldn't like is lemon.

The two that register oddly are Tempest and Rose Cross. I think he's picking up on the ozone in Tempest as he claims it smells "chemically" and the incense in Rose Cross as he refers to that one as smelling "like candles".

He did pick up on Spell of Amarous Love once, after I had put on a bit to much and sorta liked the way it smelled. He hasn't been able to register any other scents.

Suggestions would be helpful please.

Try to hunt down a bit of Beaver'versary! It smells like cheesecake and cupcakes, and my boyfriend (who usually isn't a foodie) loves it.

He might like Bliss, it's a General Catalogue scent, and it smells like warm, fresh-baked ooey gooey chocolate brownies!! mmmmmm...

Also, Shub-Niggurath smells like delicious gingerbread!

And Sugar Cookie is also amazingly yummy, and it's a pretty easy Limited Edition scent to find since it comes around every Christmas.

Hm why don't you try Drink Me ( Which i find TOO sweet and overpowering myself, but might be good with someone who has trouble smelling) Or Eat Me (which is supposed to be really sweet and sugary and vanilla-y but i cannot attest myself). Otherwise try Gluttony from the seven deadly sins, or the Candy Butcher from CD... uhm otherwise you could look into tracking down (or waiting until next christmas) Butter Rum cookie and all of the really foody christmas blends. Christmas time brings about most of the food smells. Black Pearl might work too. uhm.... yea.. i don't really enjoy the gluttonous sweet food smells myself so i can't name anymore off the top of my head.... but you chould try going into BPL search engine and type in "chocolate" or "vanilla" or "cake"... it will probably give you all of the foody blends...

I highly recommend Gluttony: Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

or even...

Vice : Voluptuous and indulgent! A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

Edited by Phox

Maybe try Wulric from CD, it's chocolate and lavender, the bright version of both so it has quite a strong smell. I know it's an odd combo but it works. Maybe Mata Hari too, it's a rose and coffee blend so might work for him.

Good luck :)

Maybe The Lurid Library too, or Tombstone, a smoky vanilla. Good call on El Dia de Reyes Mrs Black.

Edited by faylie

I have an interesting delemma and I'm looking for some recommendations. While I know that generally one should wear perfume for ones own self, I would like to find a few scents that I think my boyfriend would enjoy. However, the problem is that his nose has been broken so many times, his sense of smell has been stunted. A lot of the scents I currently have he can't smell and a few that he can registers oddly. There are only two that I've found that he trully enjoys and I enjoy his reaction to these two scents.

It may be helpful to know that he is very food oriented and the two secents he enjoyes, that's what he pickes up on. He really likes Miskatonic University and also likes Doc C's Sassafrass Elixar. The one food scent I know for sure he wouldn't like is lemon.

The two that register oddly are Tempest and Rose Cross. I think he's picking up on the ozone in Tempest as he claims it smells "chemically" and the incense in Rose Cross as he refers to that one as smelling "like candles".

He did pick up on Spell of Amarous Love once, after I had put on a bit to much and sorta liked the way it smelled. He hasn't been able to register any other scents.

For the love of god. Is my husband cheating on me? And with another bpaler?! Oh... I could just throttle him!!!!

:pat:

I kid.. I kid. But it is pretty funny just how much your bf is just like my dh. I found that teh foodies work with him because it seems that he can only smell food and say something like "mmmm foood" ::smacks self in forehead:: silly men...

The only gripe I have is that I am not a foody person, so what do I do? He recently responded well to Blue Phoenix (that I got at the DD Trunk Show last weekend) but only because it smells of blueburry muffins. I feel your pain sister.

For the love of god. Is my husband cheating on me? And with another bpaler?! Oh... I could just throttle him!!!!

:pat:

I kid.. I kid. But it is pretty funny just how much your bf is just like my dh. I found that teh foodies work with him because it seems that he can only smell food and say something like "mmmm foood" ::smacks self in forehead:: silly men...

The only gripe I have is that I am not a foody person, so what do I do? He recently responded well to Blue Phoenix (that I got at the DD Trunk Show last weekend) but only because it smells of blueburry muffins. I feel your pain sister.

:rofl:

I'd also recommend Eat Me and Sugar Cookie (as far as things easier to get). It probably wouldn't be too hard to get Beaverversary either. Also you might try Hellcat.

Wow. Thanks for the great suggestions. I think I got some of those as imps and a friend of mine has Shub so I'll that'll be good to try out before making investments. The Wulrik sounds like something he would like.

To Purrsnikety: The pain is there, but isn't it fun when they find a scent they do like so I think it's worth it to occasionally smell like you've been cooking. Maybe I'll see if I can track down Blue Phoenix. Eat Me could also be fun just by virtue of the name. :lol:

Huesos de Santo might be one to consider as well:

Orange-glazed cake, dotted with anise seed, and filled with custard, set beside a bouquet of celebratory funeral flowers.

I didn't have enough of it to try it on, but in the imp it's uncannily orange cake. ^^

It's LE from last Halloween, but I see it around.

I recommend: Wezwanie / Hold, Hazelnut, vanilla bean, red sandalwood, amber, myrrh, and honey.

I generally don't have problems smelling, but every now and then my nose goes a bit numb and most scents smell flat or weak. W/H is what I reach for thenit's a thick foody scent, strong sweetened hazelnut. It has a lot of body and it's a very distinct scenthard to confuse or ignore. And it's pretty lovely.

Maybe try Fearful Pleasure? It's got some dominant food notes, but it's a little more complex than something like Beaver Versary (which I love, don't get me wrong!). And my current favorite, Miller vs. California, which has a decent throw (on me, at least) and is a similar kind of food-with-other-stuff scent.

In the general catalogue, the strongest, sweetest, foodiest blends I've tried have been:

Centzon Totochtin
(Excolo) - Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

On me, this smells like chocolate-covered cherry flavored coffee.

Cockaigne
(Wanderlust) - Milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine.

This is the butteriest of the buttery. If he liked
Miskatonic University,
I predict he will like
Cockaigne
and
Grog.

Drink Me
(Mad Tea Party) - However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

I got pineapple butterscotch out of this one. It was... interesting.

Eat Me
(Mad Tea Party) - Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

Elegba
(Excolo) - Coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum.

Similar to
Grog.

Gluttony
(Sin & Salvation) - Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Grog
(Bewitching Brews) - This be the scent of pirate rum!

Very butterscotchy and similar to
Miskatonic University.

Hellcat
(Diabolus) - Hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

Jack
(Bewitching Brews) - True Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

Buttery and peachy - and strong.

Kill-Devil
(Bewitching Brews) - Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

March Hare
(Mad Tea Party) - A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

Very much like apricot jam.

Mr. Nancy
(Anansi Boys - unimpable) - Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

I got lime Jell-O with a super-buttery cookie crumbled in it; your mileage may vary.
:lol:

You might also try:

Bliss
(Bewitching Brews) - The serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

Chimera
(Bewitching Brews) - The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.

Everyone says this one smells like cinnamon rolls.

Dana O'Shee
(Bewitching Brews) - Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

Reviews usually mention oatmeal or marzipan.

Eden
(Wanderlust) - Fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

Knave of Hearts
(Mad Tea Party) - Crushed roses and blackcurrant tarts.

A lot of reviewers indicate that the "blackcurrant tarts" lend a foody, cakey note to this blend.

Perversion
(Ars Amatoria) - Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

This one will depend on whether or not he likes the scent of tobacco. On me, it's a very strong. long-lasting coconut pipe tobacco scent.

Vice
(Sin & Salvation) - A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

And a non-GC scent that is currently available that I would recommend is:

Saw-Scaled Viper
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Snake Oil with cinnamon, cassia, and red ginger.

Smells like super-spicy gingerbread when first applied, then dries down to a warm, natural vanilla.

Edited by Apple

Well I'm not sure what YOU like but I'm going to stretch a little and recommend Hope and Faith from the Carnivale Diabolique. They are both definitely sweet enough to be foody but floral enough to suit a lady; Hope is sugared roses and Faith is sugared violets. They are really vibrant scents and I'd bet enough people have them stashed away that you could round up some decants off the forum.