Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
twilighteyes

Blue Phoenix v2

I was desperate to try Blue Phoenix. There are so few blueberry scents. Why oh why is this so?

I was able to get a hold of a decant & was initially cursing the Goddesses that I did not have a bottle of this because it was all luscious blueberries on me. But it turned into sweet tarts. Noooooooo!

Luckily or not so luckily, it turned back into the luscious blueberry I love. I was able to find a bottle from a very generous soul.

Need more blueberry scents!!!!

Edited by boxinghelena

I fell in love with Wylde Ivy's Smothered In Blueberries last year, so when Blue Phoenix came around I HAD to try it. It's less dessert than WI's version. More blueberry syrup. While I like it, and I'd never turn my nose up at a bottle of it, I don't know that I'll hunt this down with too much vigor.

I can only smell the blueberry in this one if I'm not trying to ... does that make sense? If I put my nose up to my wrist, it just smells vaguely perfumey, maybe that little hint of spice other reviews mentioned. But if I ignore my wrist, sometimes a waft of blueberry will hit me.

Nice, but I think I want something more in-your-face blueberry.

Sweet ripe blueberries drizzled in vanilla.

The berries are succulent, tart and very juicy. The vanilla is soft and understated. Mainly this is all blueberries, and very delicious.

An amazing forum member provided me with a whole bag of prototype/rare sniffies...I'm very excited about this one!

In the vial this smells like blueberries and vanilla.

As this dries on my skin some spicy and possibly...floral (??) notes start to come out. I think I smell a bit of cinnamon and freesia?

The vanilla and blueberry are still there but more in the background just adding a sweetness to the overall blend. This is really mild with a sweet, gentley spicy floral thing going on.

I really love Blue Phoenix but it is just barely there. I'd love more cake and blueberries...and lots more cinnamon crumble! The random floral note was a nice surprise though, it makes it wearable and not-so-foody. Very nice!

Off the bat this is blueberry muffin mix… juicy blueberry, super sweet… I can feel those little pellets crunch between my teeth almost [when I was a kid I would pick them out of the mix and eat them :blush: ]. If it stayed just like this it'd be great.

But as it dries something else comes out… at first it's kind of making me think of the champagne blends, a sort of clear soda Sprite-likeness, only not sickening like those were. The blueberry is very faint now, but still barely present. It's not too bad still though, just not as mouth-wateringly delicious as it was at first.

Once fully dry it's a sweetish musky scent with faint fruitiness and a slight soapy tinge. Now it's not really a fruity-foody scent but a perfumey one. There's an undertone to it that is still somewhat appealing... something a bit deep, but I only smell that sniffing it very close-up, right on my skin. The throw is more sour/musky and perfumey-soapy-headachey. Fully dried-down the blueberry is nowhere to be found and it's all perfumey soap. I did evil things to something in this one, which is a shame because the opening was so delicious.

I swapped this to someone who loves it for something that loves me, so it's all good in the end.

BLUE PHOENIX (prototype)

In Bottle: Blueberry yum!

On Skin: At first it smells like my Blueberry Strawberry shortcake doll I had when I was little. Then then within seconds sadly, this scent that everyone loves goes pretty darn bad on me. It goes almost pure menthol plastic. What in the world? The yummy fresh blueberry turns to Halls coughdrops if they had a blueberry flavor! My husband wouldn't sit next to me, he said I smelled like chemicals. I adore BPAL so much, I hate to give a less than favorable review on any scent, but this one just doesn't like me. Nothing we can really do about that... oh well, guess it can go to a better home.

Super strong throw and moderate wearlength.

Blueberries that are kinda sour at first but turn sweet, and something definitely foodie with it. I don't know what. It's not cream... maybe vanilla or vanilla bean. Hard to tell. Seems like there's a little bit of spice too.

Blueberry isn't one of the fruits I like in perfumes, although this scent smells perfectly good -- it's just not my taste.

A fitting name for this would be "blueberry clouds" because it's exactly that--sweet blueberries with just a hint of tartness for balance, floating on clouds and clouds of vanilla cream. The vanilla here is rich and buttery, possibly mixed with a bit of marshmallow. I'm so glad the blueberry note here is true, not plasticky or saccharine at all (bad junior high lip balm memories).

A pleasant blueberry scent. A sweeter blueberry. Not too tart. Perfect for someone who likes blueberries. Not for me though.

In the bottle - Blueberry and vanilla. I can certainly see why things like pancakes get brought up, but I'm not getting any butter from it. To me, it is like blueberry pie filling. Sweet blueberries and vanilla.

Wet - The berries are becoming much more "real."

Drying - Oh, hrm, the vanilla isn't a type that my skin is liking. The berries are already becoming powdery and the vanilla has become very chemical. I can still get wafts of the bottle scent just slightly less sugary. Only warmer, if that makes any sense. It is quite faint on me, though.

Dry (2 hours) - This reminds me of something, but I can't remember what scent it is. Sweet cake with blueberry powder is what I'm getting. It creates a very nice halo, though. If my nose gets too close to my skin it smells like plastic, but there is a nice, soft throw wafting around me that is quite pleasant.

Overall - I would never wear it, as my personality doesn't fit foody scents, but it is quite nice. I wish the blueberry didn't dry down to quite so generic "berry" smelling.

An absolutely wonderful Aussie sent me a surprise half decant of this and WOA! It's blue berry pie smothered in sweet and ripe berry wine. It's delicious!

Wet on my skin this is a much more realistic blueberry, bursting with juices and sugared slightly with icing powder.

Drying down this is still ripe blueberry, slightly warmed up and slathered in even more icing powder! It's very soft and fruity, yet grounded by a backdrop of bakery goods. I absolutly adore this scent!

I'm reasonably sure I'm posting this in the right section, as this was a frimp from an ebay auction and is only labeled "Blue Phoenix Prototype."

At first, it's sweet blueberries and cream. Like a creamy blueberry tart. Foodie, but not in an unwearable way. As it dries, the blueberry backs off a bit and the sweet, creamy vanilla scent gets stronger. Luckily for me, my skin loves BPAL foodie and vanilla scents, they never ever turn plastic on me.

It's really very lovely and I'm sad I only have a testable sniffie. Will be saving this for special occasions.

ETA: This reminds me a lot of the LUSH bubble bar called "The Comforter."

Edited by talula_fairie

I have a sniffie of this so I can't really give a proper review, but it's a mildly sweet blueberry with something spicy/mossy. Now I want to go smell Blue Fire because it's kind of like that blueberry before the gin kicks in...

Oh a second winner hiding among my current batch of losers! This is blueberry cake with a melted caramel poured overtop. What a delicious scent- but strangely not TOO foody- the vanilla grounds it and prevents me from wanting to just lick my arm!!!

I am on the fence with this one. It does smell like blueberry, but from afar..... I was hoping for a nice strong blueberry note. I may not keep my bottle.

In bottle: dark juice

On skin: acidic fruit juice, too sour to drink

Half-hour later: settled down a bit with a base of light musk

In conclusion: this is definitely the blueberry from Crawdad Dream, super-juicy and not too sweet. I like that there's a musky base -- not a bakery base, but something to keep the fruit from disappearing or turning to plastic. A great long-lasting fruity blend.

Hmm... I wanted to try this for a long time, as the blueberry notes from the lab I've smelled so far have been delicious.
Tarty, fluffy blueberry. Slightly sour, but that might be my skin chemistry. Gotta give this one a few more goes and see what happens. So far, it's lovely, fruity goodness.

EDIT: Nooooo! Something in here turns this into burnt plastic after about half an hour. :cry2:Onto the swap pile this beauty goes!

Edited by Cali

Wet: Blueberries! Something smells "thick" about it though.. maybe like a blueberry jam?

Dry: Still reading as a blueberry jam, but with a little more depth. There's some type of spice note in here as well, but I'm not sure what. Cinnamon, maybe? Whatever it is, it's very faint.

Vanilla has made an appearance as well. It's reading more as a foodie scent to me, so I'm thinking the vanilla may be more of a cream/milk type of note.

Basically.. barely spiced blueberry jam, and some vanilla cream. Love love love.

I tested this with the last drops of a tester, so this might be better treated as an impression than a review (I did get a good amount for a test, but what remained of the decant was very aged).

I get mainly a dark blueberry from this. It's not a fresh blueberry, but more of a sweet blueberry with both tart and sweet candy-like elements. It doesn't smell like blueberry baked goods to me, but that could just be because it's a very aged tester. I think I smell some spice in the background, nothing overpowering, but I think it's a spice found in Plunder, but more subdued, because the scent made me think of that at one point.

I think this is a really nice blueberry scent, but it's not something I need to hunt down more of (which I'm thankful for, since it's so rare).