Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
scrappy

Orange Phoenix v6

This is my very first review ever, so hopefully I'm doing this right! :blush:

In the bottle: Orange Crush Soda.

On my skin: Orange Phoenix stays as a fun orange scent, including the more tangy scent of the peel, along with a sweetness that keeps it from being too tart. I'd compare it too orange pez perhaps, or if you use bonnie bell lipsmackers, it reminds me of their orange flavor.

Orange Phoenix is to orange what Strawberry Moon is to strawberries. They both kind of candy-up the main fruit note, while still retaining the scent of the actual fruit itself.

Edited by scrappy

I wore Orange Phoenix yesterday - I'm trying to wear each of the prototypes this week so I know which will need to find new homes and which will stay in regular rotation!

In the bottle, Orange Phoenix is straight up crushed orange pez candy to me. It's sugary sweet with an orange tinge to it. Not like real orange, but the artificial "flavoring" of orange.

Another one that had to ride on the plane with me....I love it

This one goes on tang...not in a bad I am in first grade way but oh yeah tang...which I happen to love the scent of...This one is a lovely drink again(maybe I am a alcoholic the way I get drink scents...LOL)It is tang based...It is in a punch bowl at a halloween party.The ice has all melted so it is not overpowering tang as it has been diluted....there are orange slices floating in the punch...just a basic orange slice...there is some other citrus in there with the tang...I am thinking perhaps blood orange as this is not a juicy tangy orange scent but it reminds me of the sweetness of a blood orange...I get almost a 7 up note in the background...it is very subtle and powdered sugar...I have no idea where that fits in...but I do get that note...someone must have decided to decorate with orange blossom around the punch bowl because I get them here as well playing in the background...this one is citrus based so fading is an issue.

In the bottle: candied orange.

Wet on skin: orange zest and *almost* real orange. This is what I imagined Orange would smell like.

Drydown: Scent is staying pretty true. I told my husband, "Here, smell this!" thinking it was pretty cool, so he did. "I don't like that," he said. Oops. Guess this one won't be going into rotation. Too bad though. I do think it's unique, and it would be so much fun to try layering.

Late drydown: It's nose-on-wrist faint within a couple of hours. There's just a hint of the orange left, and a hint of something . . .musky? Interesting and more grown up than oranges!

In the bottle: Orange Crush soda

Wet: lots of orange zest and juicy orange

Dry: it's gone a bit creamy, like orange cream soda now but without the fizz.

This is almost more than I was hoping for. creamy orange that's fun without being sugary sweet, sharp like a cleaner or overly citrusy. just a big, fat juicy orange with cream. My only sadness is how it fades after an hour and becomes close to skin. it had such great throw until that point. I still love it though. I think if the lab could make it last longer, this would be a HUGE hit. I hope we see a perfected Orange Phoenix hit retail this year or next.

Orange Phoenix does start out like fizzy Orange Crush.

As it dries however, the fizz runs out and it makes it resemble orange Pez candy. It's got a slightly creamy/powder sugar quality to it.

I liked it best when it was Orange Crush-like though. It was like you dumped Orange Crush on yourself.

Old time Bonne Bell orange chap stick. I love it, but don't think I'd want to go around smelling like it. But still....brings back memories!

Edited by hellomoonglow

Through a gracious swap/loan I was able to smell this.

Wet...this smells like an orange and herbs. Medicinal herbs.

Drydown: It smells just like the artificial orange flavor in an orange crush soda. I am so glad that I got to try this...but I am glad I don't need to track this down!

In the bottle Orange Phoenix smells like fresh orange with zest.

After application and dry down, I can smell almost an orange creamsicle at first and then it changes to a light musky orange which i like a lot. It is soft and subtle and not too heavy. I don't pick up any fizziness or powder notes that others are getting from this at all. I am very pleased with the final results of this on my skin. :D

Orange Phoenix

In the bottle: ooh, bitter orange. There is also something sweeter, like orange flavoured sweets.

Wet on skin: orange fruit, and now orange blossom!

Dry on skin: oh yeah, this is ORANGE to the max! I’ll need to compare this with my little snifter of Gaiman Orange, but this one is much more of a bitter orange scent, and I love that! It’s a very peel-y orange, the scent of orange rinds, and bitter ones at that. I do get the hints of Pez and orange soda (Orangina comes to mind) but to me this showcases a bitter orange rind note more than anything. I can almost taste it at the back of my throat. it makes me think of marmalade, because it has a sweet component too.

After a while: I think now that I smell a little bit of blood orange mixing in with the bitter and sweet oranges in here. There’s a hint of that sometimes grapefruit-ish scent and sanguine redness I get with blood orange scents. It seems I can actually distinguish different orange notes in here…it’s quite multi-faceted even though it’s almost entirely citrus to my nose. I also smell orange blossom-or neroli perhaps. Orange leaf too. I remember reading somewhere that every part of the orange tree is fragrant and can be used in perfume. I wonder if this scent has components from all parts of the tree too. I’m also surprised as to how long this is lasting on me. Usually most oranges fizzle out fast but this is still going strong after about two hours. It’s still definitely orange. There’s no doubt about it’s orangeness. And it stays orange right until the end-other than sugar notes, I don’t really pick up on much else here that doesn’t seem to be derived from orange…and that’s no bad thing.

Verdict: I had a dream about Orange Phoenix long before this scent was ‘announced’. In my dream, OP contained five or so types of orange note. And it seems that this scent is almost like the one I dreamt of! this scent out-oranges Orange. A blend of orange juice, orange fizzy drinks and Pez, and the chunkiest, most bittersweet Seville orange marmalade, with blood orange and neroli as supporting notes. I’m testing the two scents (Orange and Orange Phoenix) out side by side in fact, and Orange is much, much sweeter, and actually more of a sweet orange scent (and possibly mandarin, come to think of it) with just a hint of bitter peel at the back, and lots of other things like amber, flowers and sweet notes, whilst Orange Phoenix is a much more in your face orange, straightforward, uncomplicated and much more orange-centric. It’s the orange scent I’ve been looking for, in fact. And I’m so glad I have a bottle. I also really hope that this phoenix does indeed flee the nest (ie, goes live) in some form for an upcoming anniversary update!

Emoticon rating: :wub2:

Is it a keeper? yes! this is very a-peel-ing indeed (ha ha, terrible pun but this scent calls for it!)

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the Decant ♦ Orange Bottle Caps (the candy that's kinda the sweet tarts version of soda candy). But with a bitter edge.

Initial Application ♦ The Bottle Caps have been meshed with orange peel and orange blossom into a fizzy, sweetly tangy, orange. The bitter note is still present, but it's ... well it's nice.

Dry Down ♦ The orange blossom becomes the strongest note with juicy peels and candy supporting. It's still fizzy, but with an airier demeanor. And it never loses that tang.

I prefer the more delicate not candy-ish Orange (Neil Gaimen), but Orange Phoenix is striking and unique (and most definitely ORANGE). If you like candy scents, or generally love orange scents, then this will be right up your alley.

Edited by ObsidianSwirl71

Orange Phoenix v6 - This is exactly the smell of sticking your thumbs into an orange and splitting it open, peel and all. It has that amazing and strong scent of bitter orange peel, along with the sweet citrus scent of fresh orange juice dripping down your arms. It's delicious. As it warms up on my skin, the orange peel gets stronger and there's a deeper note of orange that reminds me more of BPAL's blood orange note than their plain Orange note. As the scent begins to dry down, the sweetness is taken over by the bitter scent of the peel, which keeps it from being too candy-like. Unfortunately, the bright citrus notes of this scent fade within 20 minutes, but what's left on my skin at that point is a trace of orange with a hint of something creamy and musky. This creamy/musky scent lasts on my skin for hours, although I can only smell it if I sniff up close. I never do fully detect the powdery scent of orange blossoms that other reviewers smell, but there's something about this blend that slightly reminds me of Jezebel, which indicates to me there must be some well-blended orange blossom in there. This is gorgeous. Because it fades so quickly, I don't know that I could wear it on my skin, but if it were ever to be released, I'd buy a bottle to use in scent lockets and in my oil burner.

Edited because I'm a spaz. :blush:

Edited by edenssixthday

In the imp: Spicy orange Fanta.

On, wet: Kind of a delightful orange soap smell -- not floral at all, but not really fruity, either. Actually, I used to have a shampoo from Bath & Body Works called "Orange Creamsicle," and that's exactly what this smells like. It's nice.

On, dry: Fizzy orange candy. It's light and uncomplicated -- very refreshing. I would wear this every day if I had more than a drop in an imp. *g*

Hm. This does not smell like real oranges to me. (I have one sitting right here to compare with.)

At first in the imp it does smell very fresh orange like but with a floral undertone.

Dry, though it smells more like a mock orange blossom or a floral orange. A warm and creamy floral. Possibly some ginger warming it up?

I want to say Neroli or Bergamot lurking about as well.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Candy candy candy candy candy candy candy candy CANDY!

This scent makes me hyper. :) It's orange candy, with a slightly sour-sweet edge like SweetTarts or Smarties. Happy, happy, boing, boing, orange! :)

----

Edited to add: It's the end of the night now, and I just noticed that it's not candy anymore. It's still orange, but it's a sweet, creamy orange, faint and lovely. Still awesome. *covets more*

Edited by Ravenclaw79

This starts out as a very bright, fizzy orange - I almost expect to see bubbles on my skin from the fizz of it! It's a very fun scent for a while, though it dries to a sweeter orange than I think I'd care for. Might be a good locket scent though.

I recently got a full decant of this and really don't care for the scent. I like orange well enough when it's juicy and sweet (Tweedledee being my favorite orange type scent), but this goes on smelling like orange scented floor cleanser on me. I don't get a strong fizzy/soda feel from it, but there's a sharpness here that translates to cleaning fluid to my nose. After about an hour, the scent is more dry and powdery orange, but still sharp and tart. Maybe an orange pixie stix scent. It's very strong and tart, and gives me a headache if I apply too much.

I hate this scent... it does have insane throw and staying power, though, if you like this sort of fakey fruit fragrance.

Edited by Little Bird

Yep, in the bottle and when applied this is orange Pez for sure. :D As it dries, it becomes less candylike and more bitter - like the rind and pith of the orange. Moxie is probably my favorite BPAL orange scent, and this is much less juicy. I love the bitter edge to this - I sometimes like to eat orange rind, and this smells like that tastes.

Sniffed: Yellow oil. Slightly spicy and slightly powdery oranges. Sweet oranges - not tangerines or mandarins, but oranges. Zesty, but not quite juicy. It reminds me greatly of Moxie - I detect the same Orange Pez note as well as some ginger.

Wet: Tarter and juicier, though still very zesty and still powdery. But there is a fresh-squeezed juice note as in Neil Gaiman's Orange. The ginger is even more spicy, but it's also fresh, like ginger juice. It's not as dry as the ginger in Moxie anymore.

Dry: Amazingly, this has amped up. It was so light wet that I fear my skin would devour it as it does most citrus. It's gone sparkling/fizzy, and reminds me of a cross between Orangina and Fanta, though it's not a sweet as either. The ginger note here now appears the ginger note is white ginger, and with the carbonation, I get a ginger ale vibe.

Later: It's gone a bit more powdery, with a slightly soapy edge - it's not Orange Pez anymore, but powdered dishwasher detergent. That's actually a smell I LOVE, though, and it's just a nuance, here. Overall strength has faded a bit; I spoke too soon about my skin not eating this.

Summary: Faint, slightly clean & powdery orange and fresh ginger. In the final drydown, a bit of earthy musk emerges - the sort of musk that reminds me of oakmoss, almost, though it's extremely light. Low throw, dismal lasting power.

My skin, as always, just eats the orange fruit. This is the least-weak orange scent I've tested, though, and it is very nice. I wouldn't sell my soul for it, but I'd buy a normally-priced bottle if it were available. Definitely a slather-repeatedly type of scent.

ETA: I find Orange to be more true to the actual smell of oranges than this scent.

Edited by fairnymph

Powdered orange candy! I was trying to remember what kind of orange candy it reminded me of, when I read the above poster's comment. And yes, orange Pez! But it's not too sweet...it smells a bit more like orange zest than just plain orange pez. It's lovely, sweet, and just a bit tart. Mmmm...

In the vial: Very bitter orangey citrus, like yuzu maybe.

Wet: Very orange, more like peel than fruit. There's a bitterness about it that reminds me a bit of Curacao or Grand Marnier.

Half an hour: Still that bitter note, like a cordial or liqueur. It smells more like yuzu now than orange, though. I am very fond of bitter citrus notes, and this one is a good one.

Two hours: Still that bitter note, but it has settled in for a long, gentle stay. It definitely reads as yuzu on me.

Three and a half hours: Still there, still reads as yuzu, but very light.

So I never got creaminess, candy, or soda off this one. I got a fairly one-dimensional yuzu (or perhaps even kumquat) bitterness off it which I liked quite a lot, but if it were I making the call I'd have left this one in prototype status too.

In the imp: Bright orange, a bit bitter.

Fresh on the skin: Orange scratch-n-sniff sticker, only yeah, bitter in a rather boozy way.

15 minutes later: Sweetened up considerably, like orange sherbet floating in sprite. Quite nice.

40 minutes later: Sweet, warm, bright, orange. Yum!

1 hour later: So pretty! Want!

2.5 hours later: Faded orange. Still pretty!

4 hours later: Faded to light soap, unfortunately.

Verdict: I liked this a whole lot. Pure, bright orange.

One word: Orange.

Sweet, sweet oranges. Super sweet! Maybe a mix of blood orange and a sweet candy. As it dries I think I can smell an edge of orange blossom. Lovely!

Was gifted with a testable sniffie from the awesome TwilightEyes

Decant: orange kool-aid powder with crushed orange pez for good measure

Wet on me: still orange..but more orange soda with orange pez pieces thrown in

Drying Down: Orange Blossom? I get the hint of orange blosson trying to peep out from behind the sweet orange soda/candy scents

Dry: This is like an orange surround sound. I get all types and flavors of orange now. from teh sweet of an orange pop to the crisp of an orange blossom, to the scent of a freshly peeled orange all swirling around in a warm summer day's feeling. I'm so glad I got to try this!

I love this. Sigh. I'll never get a bottle until I part with one of my rares! I love the orange candy-ishness of this blend! Sweet and true orangey. Know how when you peel an orange and a fine mist sprays from the tearing of the rind? That is what Orange Phoenix smells like to me. The only way it could possibly get better would be to mix it with a light version of Antique Lace. However, I'm an Antique Lace Whore, so I pretty much think SaniFlush would smell good with Antique Lace! LOL