Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

Rose Red '07: the first rose scent I have ever fallen in love with. Wet, it is the fullest, reddest rose on the bush, long stem and proud leaves extended. The scent of the blossom is lush, ripe, yet still fresh and young; the stem is sharp and green, the leaves faint and powdery. Dry on my skin, however, the rose blossom slowly fades: after an hour, I am left with only the powdery, astringent leaves. Heartbreakingly gorgeous and heartbreakingly wrong on my skin -- but the wet stage converted me, a former rose hater. Edited by Helen

First impression: Some rat bastard just hit me in the face with a rose. Yeah, real romantic.

Oh, wait. That's just this amazing perfume that smells like the juciest, most beautiful rose in the world. Rose in perfume is usually soap and yuck on me. I usually won't even try it. Straight to the swap box with thee, I say! This is just like. . .if I were carrying a red rose around with me. It's incredible. I made my friends smell it, and we all just sort of looked at each other and said "Wow", "that's so cool!". It was an epiphany of scent moment, and I'm basically mad about this scent. :P

this is RR '07

oh... my goodness!

i generally don't care for roses in my perfume. they're sometimes nice in candles or tarts... and i don't especially care for cut, florist roses.

that being said, this is beautiful.

this is what the roses in my imagination, my dreams, smell like. beautiful and pure and dew-kissed.

yeah, it sounds corny... but this is SO pretty.

This is almost a rose that I can wear, but not quite. It starts out pure, fresh, damp rose with a hint of greenery. But it very quickly morphs into old lady lotion, which I don't want to smell like. :P

weee my first review X3

Rose Red. 2007

Grade: A+ (4.5/5)

(Outside) Imp: Smelling with the lid closed, rose red smells like fresh cut roses.

(Inside) Imp: As soon as i opened the imp, i got hit by thorns and a sharp green scent. If you were to juice roses with the stems, i think this is the concoction you'd get. A florist shop stocked with wet, freshly cut roses is a close secon.

Chemistry: On skin it's very powdery sweet. I can't smell the green .. though it smells fresh with rose scented powder dusted over the top.

The drydown on me smells like soft, sweet, rose petals.. no wait.. rose water. It's faint. . . but i smell like rose water! huzzah! It stays put for a good time.

I love this.. i need bought a bottle >;3

Edited by celestia

This is probably going to sound weird, especially considering that I'm not usually into roses, but this is the first ever BPAL that has made me feel uber sexy - and I honestly don't know what to think about that. isn't it supposed to be all innocent and stuff?

In the bottle the first waft is almost disgusting, I have no idea what it is, but it's an incredibly sharp, almost green note, and then it's gone *poof* like that, and there is the rose. Same thing when I apply, except the yucky sharp notes linger a little longer. As it dries it goes very powdery on me, but in a good way. TOTALLY GOOD WAY! It goes sweet and lush, wild but soft at the same time and it almost gives me a head rush.

Wow. This is a rose that I like, that I can wear. Amazing. And it has good throw and lasts for a good amount of time.

Will definitely get more of this!

Rose Red 2007-

In Bottle: Ooh, juicy fresh on-the-stem rose, covered in dew, just covered.

Wet: Fresh rose with the green stem coming along for the ride. Just a hint of the earth it was in, too.

Dry: On me, it doesn't last quite so long; the joy of the fresh juicy rose kind of winds down in a mish-mash but still doesn't go sour on me, which is great. I have Peacock Queen on one wrist and this on the other and the difference is amazing. The in-the-bottle of this one is making me really want to use this in scent lockets. I think I'll have to.

Overall: An amazing scent, this fresh rose--I love it best in the bottle and wet, and I do love it.

Rose Red 2007

I love that this actually smells like a real rose, not a perfume. It's an incredibly intense fresh rose with an undercurrent of moist green. I think of this as an extreme rose...it's like holding a rose straight up to my face while looking at it with magnifying glasses. Everything is in sharp detail and with a super focus. I love that sharp severity....it almost has a bite to it.

I feel very magnetic when I wear this. It's beautiful and feminine.

2007 version

Another favourite-of-all-time scent (I have lots, but this one is a star among stars). I'm gushing all over the place about Rose Red because I love it so, so, so very much. Love. Did I mention love?

It's the rosiest rose that ever rose. It's like walking out into a garden just after sunrise and snipping a bright, velvety, long-stemmed red rose. It's the smell of the rose and its freshly cut stem. It is probably the most convincingly real BPAL I've ever smelled, and that's saying a lot. It's also dead sexy.

I can't speak for morph or staying power because I wore it in a scent locket (where it's still going strong 24 hours after I applied it). I want to wear this every day. Love love love. I can see layering this very successfully with a lot of different scents, as well. I can also see my 5ml being gone in a month, which is heartbreaking because I can't afford another bottle.

Love this beyond trying to give it a number or rating other than "best of the best of the best".

Edited by lilirose

Wet: Fresh, moist potting soil, with a touch of rose petals and sour green stem.

Drying: Ah, the soil is receding. The stem smell is very sharp/sour and strong yet, but the rose is... blooming.

Dry: It smells like I'm rubbing my cheek against a soft, voluptuous rose. The dirt is gone, and the stem smell is mostly gone. This rose doesn't go soapy on my skin (some, but not all roses do), but it does go a little powdery. After awhile, it reminds me of a rose-scented sachet. There are actually other BPALs I've tried in the past that smell more like "real" rose to me, however, I love the way this one starts off smelling like a seedling in dirt, then blossoms into a full plant as it dries. How cool is that?

the lushest, most intoxicating rose scent i’ve ever smelled. it’s so heady – like burying your nose in a few dozen fresh-cut red beauties. it’s all here – the strong powdery perfume of the velvety red petals and the fresh greenery of the leaves. a perfect showcase for a lovely, romantic flower, with no other notes diluting its pure essence. need a bottle.

I have found that rose is a note that I quite enjoy sometimes, it (usually) doesn't turn to soap on my skin as it does for other people. I couldn't wait to try this and Peacock Queen, I was really curious about how they were different. Here's what I found.....

Basically, Peacock Queen is rose, and Rose Red is rose plus other stuff. :P I read some of the other reviews, but still this smells somewhat different than I was expecting. I smell rose plus some cool, frosty condensation, and also a bit of a green smell, but *not* like the 'crushed green stems' smell that I get from other bpal scents (Orpheus for example). No, this is closer to the green note that I smell in Snow White. As a matter of fact, for something called Rose Red, this smells more green than red to me.

Bottom line......I like this! I think I like Peacock Queen just a little better. I may end up getting bottles of both.

First sniff: BAM! O boy is this GREEN! A great big fat WET luscious rose dripping with new life. The flower may be red but it's a budding, pinky, youthful, light and vivacious one not the deep, dark, velvety, fullsome bloom I usually associate with rose. If this flower were a woman she'd be the kind whose spellbinding attractiveness is ever so slightly disturbing because her charm lies in an almost adolescent freshness and lack of inhibition.

This might sound idiotic but is there mint in here? That dewy ozone note has an ever-so-slightly minty twinge to my nose.

On the skin it's still super-lush and green but the chill intensifies and (unusually for my skin) the sweetness of the floral remains in the background.

I used to work in a florist's and this is the smell of standing in the back room over a freezing cold bucket of water at 7am with numb fingers, dethorning hundreds of wet, crisp budding roses fresh off the refrigerated lorry that morning!

In drydown the cold dissipates and Rose Red becomes a much softer, more traditional floral reminiscent of the hand cream my mother used when I was about 5 or 6, which is lovely but I do miss the spectacular vivance of the wet stage. My skin really laps up rose, though, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the more conventional floral aspect ends up trouncing the greenness in the end.

This could be one for a big bottle - I can't get enough of rose scents and I'm hoping that by slathering at regular intervals I might be able to cling onto that chilly clorophyll a while longer.

Wet on my skin, Rose Red '07 is a red rose still mostly closed and there's a hint of snow. It's a very sharp smell and if it were stronger, it'd be headache-inducing. Drying, the rose scent mellows, the snow vanishes and is replaced by a green smell which I guess is the stems. Dry, there is an earthy hint. It smells a bit like vetiver. Overall, this is a unique rose blend. I haven't decided if it's a keeper.

An intense freshly cut red rose. This is much greener than The Peacock Queen, much younger and fresher and while the Peacock Queen is haughty and regal, Rose Red is more of a rush, if that makes sense. The two Yule roses are absolutely gorgeous and truly wearable. Rose Red has an almost citrusy undertone and is slightly damp. You can picture this rose with her fresh green stem and dew still clinging to her velvet petals.

Another BPAL Rose Red convert here. I just got my 2007 bottle and I love it! I had tried a sample of the 2005 Rose Red, and it smelled kinda like strong balsamic vinegar on me that was so nasty that I washed it off pretty quickly. But being an avid rose-lover I cracked under the pressure of the raves and ordered a bottle of the 2007. When I tried it at first, it was exactly the same experience, nasty sharp sourish smell. But I was distracted while testing some other scents I got and when I went back to sniff the Rose Red, it was amazing! The sharp sour scent was gone and it was a lovely fresh rose with a hint of lemon. Another 10 minutes later, the lemon faded and it was just the nicest rose scent I've ever beheld. The first time I wore it out in public I got a compliment 5 minutes after getting out of the car. I don't know if 2005 and 2007 are any different really. This experience will be a valuable lesson in patience and letting scents evolve.

*sigh*

I don't think this works on me.

In the bottle, I am immediately hit with the perfectly formed impression of a red rose, although on closer sniffing, it becomes less defined, and starts to smell very apple-y, with a final hit of something chemical-- something a lot like hairspray. On my skin, there's about ten seconds of rose, and then it's all hairspray.

I have, however, started putting this in my hair instead, and there it's quite nice (I think the hairspray/shampoo quality just fits there.) It also lasts for days and days-- I let me hair fall into my face and I get an amazing whiff of rose.

Yeah, this is exactly how it's described. Beautiful, freshfreshfresh rose! It's a very innocent rose, with hints of apple and raspberry, but it does NOT smell fruity at all. More like, how a really fresh rose is reminiscent of those fruits. Make no mistake, this is pure rose. Occasionally I get a whiff of the green parts of the rose, which ground this scent.

Rose Red certainly lives up to its reputation.

Rose Red 2007...

I really love this version of Rose Red. The 2005 version was extremely sharp and astringent on me- more green than rose. It was too strong and gave me a headache.

This version is wonderful. It is sweeter, almost powdery- no sharpness to it at all. I wish it would last a little longer. It seems to me that it fades more quickly than the other one. This may end up being my favorite Bpal rose after all...Moon Rose has been my favorite rose thus far.

I have had trouble with rose fragrances since I had my first baby (9 years ago today!), but my husband will be thrilled if I end up liking this one enough to wear it often as he loves it :P So far, so good!

Ok, cards on the table - I love rose. There are very few BPAL roses that I can't wear. Unfortunately, this is one of them, but I don't think that's the rose's fault.

This is a gorgeous red rose - and greenstuff (smells like there's mint in there somewhere). And it's making me sneeze!

I can see why people love this, but I'll stick with Maiden for my "rose and fresh greenery" scent.

Ahhhhhh. Having just been disappointed by my skin's reaction to the rose in Peacock Queen, I fled to the 2007 version of Rose Red. I hoped she'd be just as lovely as the 2005 version and I wasn't let down.

In fact, this is even lovelier... and I didn't think that would be possible. The green is still there, VERY much so. But the rose scent is stronger and it's SO lovely and undeniably red and fresh.

I still love it. In fact, I love it even more than I did before.

In the bottle: Just like a bouquet of roses fresh from the florist.

Wet: exactly the same.

Dry: exactly the same. This started out quite loud, then as it dried, calmed down a lot.

Summary: Strong initial throw then down to a perfect just there enough level. Fair amount of lasting power but I used barely a swipe because I couldn't wait.

This is so a multiple big bottle purchase for me, This is exactly the type of Rose I love and I need tons because I will wear tons. And Unlike the Jo Malone single note, I am not sneezing, just repeatedly sniffing my wrist and drooling...

(LOL I have 4 bottles of this now! w00t!)

Edited by BlackTauna

This is for the 2007 incarnation

Upon application and in the vial, I could definitely smell the 'fresh cut' green stem of the rose as the most predominant smell. Once on my skin, it bloomed into a rose. A fresh, dewy rose. It's kinda amazing that way.

It pretty much stays as 'rose' on my skin.

Verdict: At this point, I know I don't like roses. My fave rose scent is Whip because it's not just rose. But this is very gosh darn pretty. And exactly like the lab description. That's fabulous. Bravo Labbies!

For a long time it seems I've been reading posts and reviews in which people say that Rose Red is basically the quintessential rose scent. I remember trying the 05 version at least a year and a half ago and disliking it a great deal. But when it came back in 07 I decided to try it again because for one I no longer avoid rose scents, and for two sometimes there are subtle changes in blends from one year to the next. So, I gave Rose Red a second chance.

I still don't like it. I does smell like roses to me, but it also smells almost equally like soil when it's wet. There's gotta be at least a little bit of soil in this, because my skin amps dirt/earth/soil like CRAZY and I can always smell even just the barest hint. That may be what I didn't like about it last time, and I'm sure it's what I don't like about it this time.

When it's dry I can'smell much soil, just a pretty rose. Soft and pure. I know I won't be able to wear this because of the wet stage, though.

Luckily Peacock Queen is the type of rose scent I like, so I'm not too disappointed that Rose Red didn't work for me. :P

Edited by filigree_shadow

Wow! This is a rose fresh cut from the bush, very sharp smelling. I like it, and I keep sniffing at my wrist because it's so good, but I'm not sure I want to smell like a fresh cut rose. . .

Edited by kelp