Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

Rose Red '05 definitely has more dirt in it than the '04. However, once on my skin the rose comes out during drydown. Oddly enough, after about twenty minutes, both versions smell sweetly green, with a hint of rose. Thankfully other people can smell the rose on me, so it's all good.

:P

Oro Edited by Shollin

This smells, yes, exactly like its description. It's sweet and fresh rose, heady and the slightest bit intoxicating. I've enjoyed a lot of the other rose blends, but I think this is the most potent one I've sniffed so far.

Over time, it becomes a little less overpowering, but stays just as sweet and pretty as previously. It's actually a little cool, as well, which is fascinating.

I love this.

In the Imp: I smell something light and green, something fresh.

Wet: The fresh foliage smell intensifies, immediately evoking images of new spring leaves dripping with cool rainwater. Equally dewy rosebuds sprout from my wrist seconds later - but phew! Are they ever *strong*!

Drydown: This scent settles down both quickly and dutifully, coming together with just enough rose, just enough green, just enough misty freshness to impress even a non-rose fan like myself.

Sniff.

Sniff...sniff.

SNIFFFFFFF!

Uh...did I say impress? I meant astound - amaze - make my eyes go all sparkly with surprised delight. This is what the center of a living, rain-spattered rosebush smells like. Seriously. I'm a florist, I would know. :P

Overall: I was convinced this would smell like a granny perfume at best - a granny bathroom at worst - and likely wouldn't have even tried it had I not stumbled across a half imp's worth in the swaps section. I'm VERY glad I thought to toss it into the mix, and that it proved to be such a stunner. Extremely bottle-worthy.

This is the first rose perfume I have EVER wanted to order a second bottle of. Justification- creating a room spray for my mother as a birthday gift. Yeah. Room spray. Right.

Rose Red 05 smells like the light wonderfully fresh beach rose. Not heavy or thick, but light and breesy. I'm fortunate and the scent seems to last all day long on me.

Whenever I needed a little pick me up, I could sniff my wrist or even just turn and get a light scent of myself. I didn't get much more than rose and fresh outdoor scent. No vanilla or dirt really, but fresh clean breeze and light wonderful rose.

This is my holy-shite rose scent. As skeptcial as I was about the rose red hype, I admit to loveing it!!!!!!!!!!

Rose Red 05, in the bottle, is amazingly beautiful. It smells perfectly like its description and I fell in love with it.

Alas, my skin chemistry and Rose Red do not like each other one bit. Five minutes on my skin and the result is not that beautiful rose scent from the bottle, but something overly intensely sweet and rather rancid that makes me sneeze, and smells worse from a distance than a direct sniff. Stupid chemistry.

This is it for me. I'm done. I can't imagine any rose perfume more perfect than this one (and I have been looking for a loooong time.

I had one rose perfume that I thought was good until I finally got a hold of Rose Red. I threw the other one out last night and ordered a second Rose Red. I don't want to be without this evah.

The scent to me is just pure, pure red rose, deep and perfect.

GUH. OMG. Want. Want more. Want more now. It's like lying in a vast field of freshly strewn red, pink and white rose petals on a slightly damp lawn on a summer's morning/evening. It has that slightly 'green' smell to it that makes me swoon. Holy f**k I must buy more of this. This is the best of the Yule blends for me. Wow. This is why I buy BPAL - for absolute winners like Rose Red. *swoons*

In the bottle and on initial application, Rose Red '05 is all sharp greenness. In fact, it was so astringent at first that my first instinct was to wash it off and swap my decanted imp ASAP.

However,

I should know by now not to judge a BPAL scent by first sniff, and true to the Lab's magic, thirty minutes into drydown, RR '05 had bloomed into the most amazingly sweet rose scent. The greenness never fades away entirely, and keeps the rose from turning to powder. Even better, this scent has great throw and stays very true--it has the same fragrance whether I catch a whiff of it while turning my head or have my nose buried in my elbow.

I will definitely be getting a big bottle of this!

(edited to fix a typo)

Edited by Musamea

Sad. This scent is so lovely to everyone else, but on me it is awful. My chemistry just turns it to nail polish remover. Oh well, more for someone else. Pity, I really wanted to love it.

sorry to spoil the party, but BLEGH I REALLY HATE ROSES.

this smells just like those humongous, gorgeous, red roses. i really, really, hate roses :P

who wants an imp?

Rose Red 05

In the imp: this is the same glorious dewy fresh rose as last year's RR.

Wet on skin: there's a slight sharpness to this, but I don't mind. This is still that true rose scent, albeit more concentrated.

Dry on skin: there's a slight harsh scent on the top here, but I think this fades after a few minutes. The rose scent in this seems a lot warmer and fruitier than last year's-which was rose petals on ice. This rose is a slightly lemony rose scent, touched by moisture, yet it is warmed, almost like it's been sun kissed, it is a memory of a summer gone by. There's a crisp, fresh, green aspect to the rose note before it is smoothed and rounded off by the flower's rich, velvet-petalled, warm, and almost citrus like scent. It reminds me so much of the roses that grow in my garden, coated in raindrops.

After a while: it's such a shame this scent fades so quickly, however it retains it's delightful fresh rose scent as it goes.

Verdict: this smells very similar to Rose Red 04 in the imp, but on the skin, there's a slight difference. Whilst last year's RR was a frozen rose, this year's is more like a fresh bloomed rose after a sudden rainstorm, and the sun's just warming up the moist petals. This version has a warmth and fruitiness to it that last year's didn't have, but also a fluid clarity and a slight crisp tartness from last year's version. I'm not sure if I prefer it to last year's, and it does fade fast, but I do love this, and I'm amazed at how fresh and true this rose scent is, like sniffing a real rose. Thank you Beth for bringing back this rosy beauty once more.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Absolutely exquisite! A lab classic that I think everyone should try. I think you could wear this all year round.

Edited by aedes

Hmm.. this scent is definitely lush and red and just glorious in it's rosiness.

It's really quite lovely, and it has a surprising amount of throw, given that it's a rose scent. Rose scents really die quickly on me, giving way to the other notes in the blends they inhabit. But not this time!

There's a rose bush in the courtyard of the church that's right next to my work, and I always stop to smell them as I walk by. This scent really encapsulates that moment for me.

I'm not a huge rose fanatic, but when I feel the need to be rosy, I will reach for this.

Have mercy...

I'd read countless reviews extolling the rose-ness of this oil, but was ill prepared for the actuality of the stuff. Wow.

If I managed to take all of the roses from my garden, and could capture the way their scent lingers on hot, humid summer nights, it would be this oil.

The throw is amazing--I had to readjust my heavy handed application to counter it. It also lasts for hours without reapplying.

I think it has surpassed Ophelia as my go to rose scent.

Hmmm. This, to me, smells like what Two, Five and Seven should have been for me (that oil was beer on my skin).

I get a lot of sharp green at first, but then it fades into the background and lets the rose peek out. A lot of posters here say they've got an image of a single fresh cut rose in water, and that's the exact image I got too. The rose is light, but it's also still there too. It's rosy, but it's a bit too clean rose for my tastes, and I usually like clean scents.

While I don't think I'd get a bottle, I'm definitely keeping the imp. London still stays as my primary rose scent for BPAL. :P

Indeed, this IS a freshly-cut Rose. But at first, all I could smell was strong greenery,rose,and...KEROSENE!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Thank goodness THAT disappeared, leaving that beautiful Rose. My Son really liked it, he said it reminded him of Blackberry bushes. Such a light, fresh Rose, and it didn't go powdery like a lot of florals. Sadly, it disappeared on my skin with record speed! For real, this faded like no other. :P

Alas, alas. I can smell the rose in the bottle, but on me Rose Red is all greenery. Nice, frozen greenery, but greenery all the same. :P Maybe at a different time of the month this will work better.

In Bottle: Rose

On Skin: This is a fresh cut rose, pure and simple. There don’t seem to be any other notes. This is for the person looking for a pure rose scent with no complications. And it’s a red rose for sure… not yellow, white or any other color. There is even a bit of that “dirt” fragrance I always smell when I smell fresh roses. Very strong, bold and elegant. Beth has created the perfect rose scent.

Thanks to the lovely ladies at the Meet n' Sniff, namely Brienze for this one. I got to try Rose Red just for curiosity's sake.

In the bottle: red rose.

Wet: red rose.

Dry down: red tea rose. I didn't get the dirt or the green, which I was hoping for. Instead my body chemistry amped up the rose, to ROSE!!!!!!! I was afraid of that. At least it didn't turn into a gang of old ladies beating me up for my wallet. It stayed to true to the tea rose scent.

Conclusion: It faded fast, which for me, as Martha says, is a good thing. It was really not for me. Happy to try it, but I am not a floral or rose person. As for Beth and the labbies, it is a very good rose scent.

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 1.

This review is for Rose Red '05.

In the bottle, this is fresh roses.

First applied: fresh roses (complete with "green" scent).

After a few hours, the green fades and the rose remains. A few more hours, and the rose fades too. This is pretty, but unnecessary because I've fallen in love with Snow White (which is more "me" than Rose Red is). Rose Red is a beautiful, beautiful rose, but I guess I'm not that much of a rose person. Although I am curious to try Peacock Queen now, to see how that compares.

This is my first experience with Lady RR, so I'm delighted to make her acquaintance.

Hmm, the oil starts out very bright and vine-y green to me, almost fresh, juicy green apple-like (or maybe crab apple-like). But apples buried in dirt. How interesting. I'm not getting a single whiff of rose. Though I'm overwhelmed with the impression that I'm sniffing its sharp, woody thorns.

As the apple fades, the scent turns slightly musky. It doesn't remind me of fresh dirt so much as it makes me think of my grandfather's underground cellar which always smelled decrepit and of wet, moldy musk. Of course, I'm one of the rare people who *adores* the smell of damp, moldy basements, so I'm not exactly thrown off by this development. However, I'm uncertain that I'd want to smell of this all day long.

I am starting to detect a touch of rose, but it's coming across as chemical to me, a bit like Pledge. Wow. My chemistry is not Rose Red's warm cuddly bear friend in the least. I think I might actually have to part with this one, which is a huge shock, as rose is normally always a go for me. :P

I may let it sit for a while and see if it morphs after a few months just to say I tried!! After scores of glowing reviews, I really want to experience what everyone else has. Then again, maybe I need to start putting my scent lockets to work!

I opened to bottle and all I could smell are fresh red roses. The rose is so clean. Nothing gets in the way of the scent.

WOW!!

ROSES! It starts out light a fresh, like it was just picked, but like rose blends tend to do on me, the rose gets stronger and stronger till I have to wash it off or get a headache.

Ouch, this hurts. I love rose, and the throw on this is amazing. It really is just like a rose from a florist's fridge. I don't know how this can be possible. But when I sniff closer, the scent is really acrid and harsh on me, almost like ammonia. I don't think I can wear it. So sad. :P