Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

In the Imp (ITI): This is a much sweeter rose than Peacock Queen – it is sweet, innocent, young, and does smell dewy. It’s the pink and yellow roses that I see in the local rose garden.

Wet: Initially, the scent becomes sharply rose, like crushed young rose but with something else, something clean. I’m not sure if there is an aquatic element to the note (as per the dew), but there is something else that is a bit too much with the wet phase. However, the scent calms down during the dry period.

Dry: After 10 hours, the scent is very faint, but I get the most faint hint of rose. However, at several instances during the day, I recall thinking that the rose is just lovely - it’s feminine without being overtly sweet.

Other Impressions: My husband just made the most terrible ick face when I asked him to sniff test my wrist. He says it’s like roses and bathroom cleaning agent. This is the kind of rose scent he doesn’t like (but so far, he hasn’t liked any rose scent I’ve asked him to test).

Wow. This rose, as said many times already, is the most amazing fresh-cut, petal-to-stem, beautiful red rose.

Very strong, a little goes a long, long way and lasts forever. I accidentally spilled a wee drop on my bed linens and my room smelled beautiful for days. DAYS!

I love it.

ETA: ROSE RED 2011

In the vial: Just like it says - the perfect fresh rose. Vividly realistic, a beautiful single-note rose scent.

On me, wet: The aquatic note is more evident on my skin. It is lovely together with the rose. And there's a hint of greenery as well, contributing to the freshness.

After 10 minutes: Same as above.

After 20 minutes: Same as above. It smells like the rose in The Queen's Croquet Ground (BPTP Atmospheric Spray), which I love.

After 30 minutes: The aquatic and greenery have died down, and something like an earthy note has appeared. The rose has gone a little plastic (it's my skin causing that) but is still very lovely.

After 1 hour: The throw weakened very suddenly and significantly shortly after the 30-minute mark. The supporting-role notes have also faded away, but so has the plastic. It must have been coming from one of the other notes rather than the rose.

Now the scent is a fairly soft single-note rose.

After 2 hours: A very soft and pretty single-note rose scent still remains.

After 3 hours: Faint but definite rose fragrance.

This really doesn't morph much. The changes I've mentioned are subtle, and the rose note remains consistently dominant throughout.

My rating: 5+ stars, a new top fave! I'm so glad to have a full bottle!

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I could marry this scent. It's so pure and clean with a fresh-cut rose smell the whole way through wet, on, dry. I love it. No perfumey headache, either, just pure rose and green. It smells like a single fresh cut rose. Wonderful!

2005 Version (thank you lovely forumite!)

Fascinatingly accurate. I get a wee bit of dirt, perfectly fresh stem, and newly opened petals. I do think the petals are coming off slightly acrid, but that may just be the age of this oil. I feel like a walked into a rose garden. Very pretty. I wish there was an atmosphere spray of this!

I just received my very 1st bottle of Rose Red 2012 today and let me tell you...

I was blown away!

I love it, I love it, I love it! It is just gorgeous. I couldn't ask for a more beautiful rose scent. Like everyone else says, it smells like cut roses in an ice cold vase full of water. But there is something warm there, too. Something... unexplainable. I have rose essential oil, I'm very familiar with the smell, and Rose Red is not just a plain old basic rose scent. It is SOOO beautiful.

Beautiful. These are lush, red, straight from the florist's fridge roses. Sweet with a hint of cool greenery. Strong throw. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade my decant, but I will definitely be keeping it.

Rose Red 2012

To me, Rose Red is "rose in the garden." It smells like I stepped outside into my former rose garden (45 rose bushes) and sat down next to the daisies. It smells like the other plants in the garden have some weight in this scent-the greens that underplant the rose bushes, etc. I haven't decided if I like it, but it certainly brings back memories!

The green note is a little harsh at the beginning, but it's fading nicely after 10 minutes or so. When I first put it on, I didn't think I needed a bottle. Now I'm not so sure! :D

2012 decant

Smells of a very fresh, green rose from a florist shop both wet and dry. Slowly the greenness wears off smelling more like the Peacock Queen. Think I may prefer the Peacock Queen more since it lacks the brightness/sharpness in the beginning.

Red Rose 2012

In the vial: smelled wet and green, like spring rain on flower garden greenery (that hasn't bloomed yet), but with a chemical overtone.

Wet on my skin: powerful chemical overtone, the wet and green scent was fainter, but still the only other thing I could detect.

After 10 minutes, I could detect the rose, but it was so weak that the wet and green smell overpowered it.

After half an hour, everything faded to a faintly floral smell - I couldn't tell it that had rose in it any more.

I don't think this one is for me. I'm looking for something with a more powerful Rose smell.

This is the 2012 version. Every year I marvel at how realistic this rose is. A true red rose with greenery, dewy and absolutely beautiful. Unfortuneately, it doesn't stay that way on my skin. The green stemminess takes over and it's like the stem got cut, and the oozy pulp is coming out of the stem now. There's still a rose in the background, but it's nowhere near as lush and realistic as it was when it was wet. I keep hoping that one years version will be nice to me, but not so far. I'll keep the sniffie to smell when I want the smell of a true red rose, though.

ITI: Exactly what I hoped it would be! A fresh bouquet of dark red roses, richly perfumed.

On Skin: Wet, the greenery starts to emerge. A touch of evergreen more than rose leaves or ferns. Like branches of the bouquet were picked from a damp, dark cedar forest. Appropriate for the story of Snow White, Rose Red and the Bear.

Dry, I am still loving it. The throw and sillage seem to the most of any rose scent I've tried. Stronger than The White Rose and The Peacock Queen. I may actually need a bottle of this one... Meanwhile, I have the urge to slather on more for bed!

Edited by zeldaZ4

2012 version.

IMP: BAM you just got hit in the face with a bouquet of freshly cut roses! Still, you can't help but notice that you're smiling as you rub your cheek in shock. It's strong, but wet and fresh.

WET: Your assailant calms down and hands you the bouquet. The dew is still hanging from the petals and dripping down the step. It's nostalgic and very romantic. It makes you feel like you're in a fairy tale.

DRY: You have to leave, so you set the bouquet down and walk away. The scent fades quickly, but it hasn't changed from that fresh dewiness.

---

I want more! This is awesome!!

In the bottle: Interesting. I don't immediately get rose, I can smell the green stems and maybe something fruity-floral

Wet: Oh dear. I smell like disinfectant. Or possibly, a rose bush sprayed with some sort of pesticide.

Dry down: It mellows a little, but is still strong enough to make my nose tingle unpleasantly. Still searching for hints of rose in this, but it's just disinfectant and greenery. Going to wash this off...

Verdict: Not a winner for me, sadly.

I seem to be like many other out there that didn't like rose scents......... Until Bpal. I now have ten rose based oils(or more my collecting seemed to get out of hand quickly). So my review of Rose Red is this, a rose just picked after a spring shower. I also get a hint of green and pear. It has a moderate throw which when rose is concerned is a good thing. Slapping someone in the face with rose may drum up memories of their third grade music teacher, who loved to bathe in tea rose perfume while trying to convince you a recorder is a valid instrument (thank you Miss Bell). So if you like rose and bright almost citrus notes give this gal a snoot or two.

Red Rose 2005.

FAUGH.

Too sharp, too fresh, too green, too sweet. Apparently I prefer my roses powdery, or mixed with something else. Rose Red is even worse than Two, Five, And Seven on me - and that's saying a lot.

Peacock Queen I can do. This I cannot.

Edited by OctoberGwen

My favorite rose scent and my favorite BPAL. Rose Red is the rose perfume I've always wanted; bold, lush, fresh and delicious without being overpoweringly perfumey. If you love roses, you owe it to yourself to get your hands on some Rose Red.

My favorite rose! Fresh cut rose buds with the understated rose and a green note. Pretty amazing wet and dry. I didn't think I liked rose scents (or florals at all)! :wub2:

I am trying to get better at wearing rose, so I had to give this one a try!

It's a fresh, greenish rose scent, so I am sensing every part of the rose; the leaves, the stem, the petals. The petals are very sweet and not too overwhelming. There is a nice freshness to the blend overall, so the rose doesn't get cloying.

I'm still not sure I'm a rose person, but if you are, this one is definitely a pretty one. Just plain and simple and full on rose. :)

2013 version

On wet, it has a very strong apple blossom/green scent, and dries to a mix between red and pink roses to me, a very sweet rose actually.

Eh, not for me.

This is for the 2013 edition.

In the decant: A soured rose.

Wet: Brightening up somewhat.

The dry-down: Very different from previous years. A rose that's souring is not my thing, at all. Not fresh and no dew, but instead has been left too long in what must be unchanged water.

Beautiful lush, dewy red rose. The kind that you'd smell in a florist's cooler. I even get the greenery. I love the smell of roses, but I don't generally like smelling rose on me. I do love the rose scent in a candle, Yankee makes a good one, but to wear it, only once in awhile. This is lovely and lush, but I would rarely wear it. This would be very nice for a bride on her wedding day who loves the scent of roses. This incarnation is pretty true to other years from what I remember, though it does stay true on my skin unlike last years version.

Edited by milo

This is one of the few bpal scents that I've decided I have to hoard. It's beautiful & crisp. The green notes keep it super fresh & it makes me happy.

This review is for the 2005 version that I bought from the Lab on eBay last year.

This is a sharp, fresh rose with a citrus bite when it is first applied. Then, it becomes a bright red rose with some greenery. It has good staying power, too.

I don't dislike it, but my bottle was neglected in favor of several other rose blends (as I prefer sugary florals), so I ended up swapping it away.

A very fresh, green rose. Like rose mixed in with a crisp, green sour apple. If you like fresh, fruity scents that are not very sweet, this is great. I've always thought roses and apples smelled similar so I think this combination is great. The bite fades a bit as it dries.

Edited by Kanashisa