Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Block Buster

Used to open up options in your life, overcome obstacles, and create opportunities. This blend increases your potential for success, inspires creativity and quick thinking, and helps you to be more flexible, adaptable and open to change.

Damn, girl! This one's a blockbuster alright. It SMACKED me in the mouth!

Let's see, what have we got. Honey, clove, and something sweet like apple. It's not cloying though, it's got balls. That clove and cinnamon in there gives this scent a real strength.

In the bottle: Bazooka Joe bubble gum, for some reason, most of the voodoo blends smell initially like this to me.

First on: Bazooka Joe mixed with an apple sauciness.

After a bit: Ok, now this is mainly apple sauce with a slight sprinkle of cinnamon.

A bit more: Stays fairly true the the apple sauce I'm getting.

This fades rather quickly, but is really nice regardless. A keeper.

Starts out with an antiseptic quality, very herbal...then softens into a sweeter, not-quite-fruity blend after drydown. There's also the tiniest hint of spice. So far it's pretty strong and seems to be lasting for quite a while. I'll be keeping this around for a while to test it a bit more, but so far I like it.

I was waiting to review my two voodoo imps because I was hoping magic to happen. It hasn't happened yet, but here goes:

I love BlockBuster. It is spicy, and yet somehow sweet at the same time; I cannot separate out the notes. It lasts a long time and dries down beautifully.

I am wearing it on a regular basis - because I love the scent and so that when the blocks come, I'm a-bustin' them!

I have to say Block Buster is my favorite voodoo oil. Besides the fact that it smells amazing it really works. I decided to wear it last weekend when I was going to pick out tuxes for my wedding. I had attempted to do this a few weeks prior and could not for the life of me settle on anything, I don't know why picking out tuxes would be so daunting but I just couldn't focus...so when I went back I knew that I had to have a little extra help and decided that Block Buster was just the help I needed. I went into the tux shop, picked out coordinating vests and tuxes like an old pro, no problem at all, it was amazing, it really busted that block. I will most definitely be buying a 5ml of this.

As for smell, I think it smells very similar to Lughnasadh...like an autumn harvest. A little bit of apple and cinnamon but not enough to be cloying...it's nice and sweet and creamy. I love Block Buster! :P

Block Buster - When first applied, I thought I was smelling cinnamon and grape. Within a couple of minutes, it became evident that while the scent was fruity, it wasn’t grape – it was apple! Block Buster smells like baked cinnamon apples! I don’t normally care for bakery type scents, apple blends, or cinnamon blends, but this one is positively to die for. The throw is light, but the staying power seems pretty good, considering how apple and cinnamon usually disappear on me quickly.

ETA: I just bought a full bottle directly from the Lab, and in the brand new, fresh bottle, it smells less like cinnamon apples and more like honey and heady white flowers (jasmine?) with a bit of cinnamon and maybe some fruit in the background. This bottle is totally different than the imp I've used off and on over the past couple years when I needed some block busting.

As for the voodoo aspects of this blend, I think it really does help overcome obstacles. I've worn a tiny bit here and there over the years with intent and it helped me past whatever obstacle I saw potentially in my way. It has a way of making me feel more confident and reminds me that I have what it takes to do what I need to do and to succeed at it.

Edited by edenssixthday

I'm going to write my review before reading those of others so as not to sway my thoughts.

I can't comment on it's efficacy - haven't been wearing it long enough. But as far as how it smells - it's an eye opener! I get an initial burst of spice (and it burns a little - first time that's happened), then it settles into apple and cinnamon. It's a homy scent, like something simmering on the stovetop. Since I'm trying to break out of hausfrau heaven this seems at first a bit of a contradiction, but we'll see, won't we?

:P Ok, next time I'll pick a tougher mystery blend to review blind.

Edited by Taniwha

In the vial: cinnamon and fruit. Pear?

On the skin: And then it spilled all over. :D It's definietly cinnamon! And that is fruit, I'd hazard pear and maybe a hint of strawberry. There's a touch of florals, maybe even clove, as it dries down. I'm not sure I'd wear it, but maybe for ritual purposes it'd come in handy.

And now that it's all over my hands and keyboard, hopefully some blockages are busted? :P

hm, i dont sense the cinnamon/spiciness at all. probably because i am overwhelmed by the sweet fruity-floralness, which is my least favorite scent combo. i think i am smelling pear maybe, or apple with some herbalness to it. once it dries it smells a lot better, but it's still not very 'me'.

beyond the scent, i have yet to notice if it works yet! but i hope so, because i really really need some new opportunities right now!

In the bottle: Blockbuster smells spicy, almost cinnamon. There’s also something mellower and sweeter in the background. Some of the background reminds me of Van Van.

Wet: This is still primarily spicy, but it doesn’t have the burn that cinnamon would. It is bright, energetic, and entrancing.

Drying down: My nose still wants to say cinnamon, though it has no burn and isn’t as physically warm. The scent is warm, thrumming with energy. The sweeter scent beneath the spice reminds me of bubble gum, but it isn’t detracting from the rest.

Dry: The sweetness is coming out more, but the spiciness keeps going too. The blend hums. Love it! I’m putting this on my “Want some, now!” list without further ado.

Later: The scent has faded a lot (two hours later). My skin gobbles up scents. It bears a resemblance to some lightly-scented candles, but not to the point that it is cloying or artificial. There is still a trace of spice, but the softer aspects of this scent remain. So far today I’ve felt more energetic, and gotten some much-needed errands done. I feel more motivated. I’m going to reapply because I like the scent, but I hope it continues to help in other ways too.

Block Buster-

In Bottle: Soured Apple Cider! Er, I suppose I should call that hard cider, but that's really what it seems like to me. I smell cinnamon too.

Wet: Hmm, interesting. A comforting scent, still smelling of apples that have gone past cider to verge-of-rot. So far I like, and not musty at all.

Dry: This has a quick fade on me, and stays at the cidery-apples development stage. It never gets really mesmerizing, but it was all right.

Overall: Okay. Might try again.

In Bottle: Hard apple cider, cinnamon and roses, buttery. Made me think of Xmas in a good way.

Wet: Overpowering applespice floral, a little too potpourri

-like when it's still wet.

Dry: Roses and apple cinnamon. Still VERY strong.

Overall I really like this scent, but it's most likely going to be seasonal home fragrance for me. Unless it really works its voodoo. In that case I might be forced to buy a 5ml.

This was one of my first BPAL loves, and is still a favorite of mine. It's the lovely smell of fruity, geen apples dusted in cinnamon. While it is a fruity/foody scent, it's not a bakery smell. It's definitely fresh, crispy apples. This is a yellow scent for me. I wear this when I know I'm going to have a bad day at work, or when I feel like I have a lot of goals to overcome. It makes me feel better and smells great, and I will probably always have a bottle in my posession. :P

oh thank goodness! a frimp that i don't hate! (seriously... 5 out of 6 were just so-so or just horrid. i hope i can find good homes for them where they'll be loved.) :P

i have to second, third or whatever all the previous comments about some sort of spiced apple. to me, it in no way resembles potpourri or air freshener cinnamon apple scents. it's much softer. much gentler. the cinnamonesque scent is a lovely and i mean LOVELY background note to me. a supporting player. there, but not overwhelming or burning. the apple is just the idea of it. it's not quite baked apples, but it makes me think of them if that makes ANY sense. and yes, there could definately be some pear with the apple.

i really really like this. i will update later in regards to effects.

(ps labbies... thank you. i've been eyeing this one for a while and too timid to try more voodoo blends. it pretty much epidomizes what i need to break through whatever it is weighing on me. so i have good hopes for this.)

Apple cider! Block Buster smells a lot like apple cider chock full of cinnamon and cloves. Yum, perfect for this time of year.

I'll be using this blend to focus on being 'flexible, adaptable, and open to change' which is something I want to remain open to. Happily, Block Buster smells so wonderful that it will make working on these things delightful!

Straight out of the imp, this was a lovely spiced apple scent, maybe a little candle-ish, but still nice.

Half an hour later, one of my coworkers claimed that something smelled like raisins and black licorice. Apparently not a good thing.

Yarg...I had high hopes for this one.

There's a lot of cinnamon in this imp and something sweet and fruity as well. I love cinnamon and so I love block buster too :P I don't know yet if it has some effects, but I let you know if there is any :D perhaps I should get 5ml of this some day when the imp is used :D

Sweet apples and flowers? And a little spicy zip. And -honey-! But not what honey scented things usually smell like - like a jar of delicious honey. If this is BPAL's honey note, I want everything that has it!! Yum!

Not sure yet about the voodoo properties, but I'm travelling today and I hope it works :P

In the imp it's rather unremarkable, but on my skin, DELICOUS. And its got some throw too, yay! I can actually smell it on me without plastering my nose to my wrist. I smell cinammon, a little apple, and some sweet florals. This is bright and yellow-y feeling, wearing it is the equivalent of walking into a sunshiney field with a rainbow sparkling over your head. It's really bright and very lovely.

The only sad part is that it fades to almost nothing after 4 hours. Awww, and I was really loving it too.

Edited by Hava

Anise! And lots of it. It's an invigorating, exhilarating scent. This is spicy and slightly herbal without being green or foody in the slightest. I really like it.

It doesn't seem overly metamorphic on my skin, which I approve of. It's just a lasting, confident anise blend.

More cinnamony, now, and I find myself hesitating. Between the last paragraph and this one, I paused and read some reviews, and I see lots of people all cheering the cinnamon. Was it cinnamon all along (misidentified by the olfactory-verbal gap) or has it subtly metamorphosed?

I go back and smell the wand again. It's definitely, really anise on the wand, and it's definitely, really cinnamon on my wrist. (This teaches me not to second-guess myself. Of course, since the blends vary a bit from one to another, it's perfectly possible that I just got the anise oddball.)

Eventually, it mutes down into a soft, subtle, warm blend, and then it starts fading away (marking a lifespan of about four hours). I really liked it while it lasted.

This is sweet cinnamon and herbs on first application, reminiscent of cinnamon gum, but not candy-like (if that makes sense). It's biting and warm at the same time, but actually ends up being quite calming, centering. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but it lingers for a decent amount of time. After a while, it reminds me a lot of cinnamon tea, which is comforting. I'm not certain about the efficacy of this blend, but it seems like a blend that could be relaxing and energizing.

This smells pretty good! It's very fruity and spicy. It reminds me of apple sauce with cinnamon on top, a little bit of apricot preserves, maybe a little clove and amber. I like it. Not a bottle purchase but I'm going to use my imp, and see if it works its' voodoo.

I can't speak of the 'magickal' properties of this blend... simply the scent.

It's very herbal and lasts for a while. Sometimes, it makes me think of almond, since I get something almost nutty about it. It's pretty warm and sometimes I think it has amber in it but I really can't pick out any of the notes. I can't smell apple, cinnamon or clove.

I had a pretty average day wearing this, but I was also wearing Black Cat on my other wrist. I'll try it alone by itself and see what I get.