Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Block Buster

Used to open up options in your life, overcome obstacles, and create opportunities. This blend increases your potential for success, inspires creativity and quick thinking, and helps you to be more flexible, adaptable and open to change.

Sweet and cinnamon in the bottle i was looking foreward to this being a voodoo blend that might work on me. Strangely, I get a medicinal smell putting this on and like my recent attempt to try one of the Panacea's, I just couldn't seem to get past a faint association with childhood cough syrup. It's not to say that the blend actually DOES smell like that, just something in my chemistry and nose are trigging icky memories. Off to swaps

In Bottle: This is sweet and spicy. It smells almost a little fruity in the bottle (maybe like apple?). I like this so far.

Wet: I can smell the fruity-ness, but I also smell cinnamon, who is not my friend at all.

Dry: Sadly, the cinnamon is the dominant note on me in this oil. I can't handle smelling like red hots, which is always what happens with cinnamon.

I bought this unsniffed for it's voodoo use, but the reviews made it sound wonderful.

Wet - apple pie!

Dry - Oh. My. God. This is wonderful stuff! At first I get cinnamon and a fruit, which is probably apple. There also might be some fig in this, but I am not sure. After awhile the honey comes out; rich, golden honey, much nicer than either the Honey SN or Honey Moon. This smells like Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Tea, with a big dollop of honey.

I was hoping this would smell good enough to wear often, because I really need to overcome obstacles and create opportunities right now. This smells good enough to wear all the time. Not only am I thrilled I ordered a big bottle, but I think this is going to end up on my top ten.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

In the vial: Spicey bananas.

Wet: Smells like fall, or October anyway. A muted spiced apple, maybe a floral over top. It's a note that I think I recognize, but can't name.

Drydown: Honey. Is it honeysuckle I'm smelling? Whatever it is, it's making my mouth water, sweetening up the apple. Repeated sniffing makes my skin tingle which is interesting. Fun, but unexpected.

Dry: The cinnamon sharpened up a bit but it stll reminds me pleasantly of apple cider. Didn't keep me focused on my novel but it did take me back to the handcrafts I do. Yay!

For the life of me, I couldn't identify this smell until I read the other reviews. Apple cider is it! Warm, sweet apple cider with a cinnamon stick in it. Quite yummy!

This does not change much on me from the vial to my skin, except that the cinnamon comes out a bit more strongly as it dries down. It's a pleasant scent, the sweet fruit and spice well balanced and not too strong, but definitely there. It reminds me of fall.

However, I have come to the conclusion that the Voodoo blends do not work the desired mojo as far as I am concerned. :D Maybe my deity and rituals are just too far removed from the Voodoo tradition, but I need a much stronger "kick" to my block-busting rituals than this. And while this is a very nice scent, it isn't nice enough that I'd buy a bottle just for the scent. I'll keep my imp around for when I need calming, pleasant fall memories, but not for when I need inspiration or strength-- I'll stick with other, non-Voodoo scents for that. :P

ETA: Okay, so hours after putting this on, I just accomplished something I've been putting off and dreading since December. Apple cider now smells like sweet, sweet success. Don't know if it was the oil per se, or a combination of that and some accountability I managed to scare up for myself, but I might have to revise the conclusions in that last paragraph now.

Edited by Savannah

Ok, I wanted to try this for its voodoo associations; I'm dreadfully prone to writer's block so a literal "block buster" would be a major boon to me! I can certainly attest to being more creative at problem-solving since putting it on; I can't think of where else I got the nerve to call a casual (as in, met once) acquaintance to ask foe help when a thunderstorm zapped my computer!

But as to the oil itself; maybe I'm projecting from the other reviews, but I am getting an undertone of banana here. The main smell, though, is cinnamon. Not like cinnamon red-hots, but like fresh-grated cinnamon. The overall impression is a bit like Bananas Foster (mmmm). I might just have to get a bottle of this.

I need to get cleaning and packing for my up-coming trip, so I thought it would be the perfect time to try out this lovely imp!

In the vial - This smells like something holiday-ish. I'm getting cinnamin, clove, orange and something floral... I can't place it, but I KNOW I should know it...

Wet - Sweet cinnamin and clove. The orange is there still, too, but... it's BURNING a little. The heck??? I never have issues with oils.

Drying - I'm starting to think that the floral is actually orange blossom. It blends very well with the spice notes and is becoming more spicey than sweet now. (The burning disappeared too, luckily. My wrists DO tingle a little, but it could be due to magical intent.)

Dry (40 minutes) - Boy, does this fade fast! It's dried to a faint, sweet orange blossom clove. It's still GORGEOUS, though.

Overall - It worked, getting me going on the laundry/cleaning I had been putting off for a long time. (It also made my male roommate moan. *smirks*) I actually don't mind the short time that it sticks around, seeing as it's supposed to be for that BOOM of knocking down barriers. I forsee a big bottle of this VERY soon.

Apple cider! I so agree on that one! Unfortunately it´s not really something I want to smell of; even though I love the smell of apples, I don´t know if I can do apple cider. There are also some other notes in the background, which I (of course...) can´t recognize, but the apple cider is really the dominant one on me.

As for effectiveness (yes, the reason I got it, the reason I will keep it :D), since I put it on I have knitted a scarf (and I haven´t knitted for years!), beaded more shiny, lovely stuff and sent off a couple of job applications, in addition to tidying up my appartment. This is a great deal, concidering I´ve been somewhat apathetic lately. I also suffer from a severe case of writer´s block, and hopefully I will be able to overcome that too. Of course, it could be imagination, placebo etc etc, but hey! As long as the work gets done, I´m not complaining! And I have a lot of blocks to bust, so I´m keeping my imp :P

On Skin: Sweet and spicy.

In Bottle: Cinnamon and flowers. So yes, sweet and spicy like in the bottle. Also, maybe apple? It’s a warm, foody scent that reminds me of a kitchen or bakery. Very soft and gentle. I like how the cinnamon stirs my senses and wakes me up.

This one is fascinating! Earthy Red Hots!! My husband & I figured we found cinnamon, vanilla & balsam peru to add that sugary, almost caramely character. Actually, he went into a ten-minute dialogue about it - pretty much saying it smells good on me for going out with friends. :P

The cinnamon is dominant throughout the wet, worn & dry-out stage, but it's fun - I enjoy it!

Mm.. this smells like the inside of a freshly baked apple pie. Upon application, there's a light vineagary note as well, but it fades with the dry down.

A pretty strong scent. I could get a good feel for what it was going to smell like by just sniffing the cap. When I opened the package I smelled this imp instantly, and it wasn't spilled, either!

This goes along with Love me on the "Must have" list.

This was a frimp from the Lab with my last order (thanks, guys!)... not something I ever would have ordered for myself, but now I'm really glad I have it.

Out of the bottle this smells like pure straight-up old school cinnamon to me, and that's it. Mind you, I love cinnamon with a passion, so no worries there. Once on me, however, the cinnamon fades a teensy bit and I start to get really warm, really wonderful sweet florals and a bit of a greenish herbal note in the far background in addition to the spice. This is so relaxing and invigorating... it makes me feel comfortable and intelligent at the same time. It blends with my natural smell very well, too, and stays on a good long time.

I expected a strong mover-and-shaker of a blend here, but this is even better. I'm the clerk of a large Quaker Youth organization, and I wear this to our business meetings: it really helps me center down and puts me in a creative and flexible frame of mind. I'm tempted to whip out the imp next business meeting, pass it round, and have everyone take a big ole sniff!

On me, Block Buster is spicy cinnamon and something almondy and vaguely fruity. There's a touch of floral, too, but it's mostly cinnamon fruity. It's happy, and it helps break through creative blocks for real like whoa. Amen, Beth!

First sniff: Ooh, this is nice. I can’t pin down any of the notes, but it’s fresh and bright with maybe a hint of fruit.

Wearing: Good stuff. There’s a little bit of spice in here too, but it’s mostly fresh and fruity – more like pear than anything citrus or berry.

In the imp, sniffed: fruity cinammon.

Wet, on skin: still fruity, but more of a sweet undertone to it.

Drydown: stays the same.

If I were to use this, it wouldn't be for something I'd wear every day--more like for the voodoo powers it's got--not really me.

I wound up overspilling some onto a candle two days ago, so I think I may need a new imp!

blockbuster.jpg

Smells just like the dark purple JuJuBees I used to love, they would get stuck in my teeth and wave about like seaweed until they dissolved. A very unusual flavor and I love its interpretation here in Block Buster. It developers a sour kind of stinky sideline for the first minute or so on my skin, and I bet this is a chemistry issue. Not very much of a broadcaster, it sticks close to your skin. Must work, though because it got me moving on doing the last reviews I told myself I would get through. I would say this is a real nice oil and I will give it a try on those things I need to solve using it.

P.S. I claim "fair use" of the Blockbuster logo for this private and unpaid purpose. If they don't like it, they can come and get me. I have the number of the local media and I'm not afraid to use it for PR purposes! :P

Starts out a bit on the herbal side with a touch of powdery sandalwood & slightly candy-sweet cinnamon. As it dries I also get something that makes me think....bergamot??

After a couple of hours, light, powdery gardenia.

As far as it's efficacy, my headache has mostly gone away, which is cool since gardenia usually *gives* me a headache. However, I seem to be getting into more of a foul mood since putting this on. Huh?? That's not right :P

I'll try this again, though. Hopefully it'll do it's thing next time :D

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Rating (efficacy): N/A

Summarised in a word or two: Cinnamon!

In the imp/bottle: A sweet, fruity cinnamon. Very nice!

On skin, wet: This reminds me of cinnamon gum -- fruity, and spicy in a sweet way.

On skin, dry: Herbal, cinnamony gum.

Conclusion: As a scent, the cinnamon is beautiful. I can't speak to its efficacy, as I tested and wore this purely as a perfume, with no thought given to its Voodoo properties.

Edited by Aredhel

This is an absolutely gorgeous blend - where I'm essentially wearing apple cinnamon herbal tea as a scent. Lots of cinnamon to start with, which faces to lots of apple with a small floral bit. I really get the idea of the Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon tea.

Love!

Wet this smells like sweet apple potpourri. After a few minutes a honey note develops. This is a comforting scent. The first day I wore this I was still distracted at work. I'm am going to keep trying this to see how the effecrtive the voodoo properties are. I'm hoping to find a new job soon so maybe this will help get me in the right frame of mind for job hunting.

In the imp: Cinnamon and... uh... something.

On, wet: Still can't tell what the something else is, but it's not nearly as overwhelmingly cinnamon as other blends I've tried.

Later: Still cinnamon with that weird other background scent. Is it fruity? Is it floral? I honestly cannot tell. It's pleasant, but the whole scent fades pretty quickly into more of a suggestion of scent than anything else. As to its effectiveness as a voodoo blend? No clue. But it does perk me up a little, so the "inspires quick thinking" part is fairly close, I suppose.

Ohhh, very lovly. This one is cinnamon and berries in the bottle. Block Buster is a chritmastime scent. There's this store near my house called The Christmas Tree Shop (for seasonal home goods), this smells exatly like the inside of that store.

On my skin it almost had a potpourri quality to it.

Mmm Overall I love this one. I don't mind smelling like a craft store every now and then. I need a big bottle of this :P

I get cinnamon apple with this scent - I think I'm liking it a lot! It didn't do much for my concentration though as my head was all over the place this afternoon but that is probably just because it is me!! Nice

I was so psyched to try this because the description is perfect, just what I need in my life - so I ordered an imp. Sadly, it really did nothing for me, either in a Voodoo sense or in terms of its scent. I got vaguely herbal, fruity-ness - no cinnamon at all (too bad b/c I love cinnamon!). If it does have honey in it I'm surprised it didn't make me feel nauseous - honey usually has that effect on me. Also was very faint on me to begin with and faded after about 2 hours. So I gave away as a frimp in a swap - hope she has better luck with BB than I did.

Wet: A blast of pure cinnamon. Maybe with a little clove... but definitely all spicy!

Drydown: There's a warm, round fruity note lurking in the background, and while I still smell cinnamon, the mystery fruit is getting stronger all the time... aha! I got it...

I smell exactly like peach cobbler! No wait... it's getting a bit more tart - apricots! This is the one blend I've smelled that truly smells like apricots to me; in the ones that actually list apricot as a note, I can't distinguish it from peach. But this one... pure apricots with cinnamon.

I can't speak for the effectiveness of this oil, as I was just trying on random things before going to bed - but holy crap, is it tasty-smelling!