Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Block Buster

Used to open up options in your life, overcome obstacles, and create opportunities. This blend increases your potential for success, inspires creativity and quick thinking, and helps you to be more flexible, adaptable and open to change.

So happy I hunted this one down.
In the imp: Sweet herbs
Wet: Cinnamon and cloves blossom on my skin, very powerful stuff in the best possible way
Dry:Cinnamon and CLOVES. Then it starts to mellow out without loosing any of its strength.

Final Verdict: Defiantly bottle worthy, I love it so much I keep re-applying it. I really find myself much more energized and focused after taking a whiff of it. Very thankful to have Block Buster for during finals week (yay for my huge ass history research paper!)

In the vial: A sweet fruit—I feel like I should be able to name it, but can't.

On me: The fruit gets fuller and riper—almost to the point of overripe fermentation—on application. There's some apple in there, but I think there's other fruit(s) that I don't find as easy to recognize; all in all, a pinky-red golden full scent with just a touch of cinnamon, more in powdery texture than explicit scent. During drydown the cinnamon amps—there's clove in there too, and maybe some patchouli; it's darker than I was expecting, and continues to amp until it becomes a dry, potent, dark, warm spice over the memory of a ripe red apple. It's not sweet, too pure-spice to be foody, bold but absolutely lovely if you want to curl up in some spice. A few hours into wear, however, the fruits reemerge and grow dominant—apple, and perhaps some peach, almost overripe, making for a seasonally-inclined scent which I find much less appealing. This scent is potent, with a strong throw and long wear length, so the fruit stage sticks around for some time. Scent-color is vivid red.

Verdict: I didn't have particularly high hopes, but the dry spices in the middle of Block Buster were almost perfect, rich and dry and hot and potent, at its best absolutely divine. I'd be won over, but for the fact that the fruit eventually reemerges—and while cinnamon apple is pleasant, it's too much a change from the pure spices and a little too seasonal; it might work better as a room scent, and I don't particularly want it on my skin. As a result, Block Buster was ultimately a personal disappointment (although it makes me eager for a pure spice blend). But for whatever it's worth, I got a lot of work done the day I tested the scent—more along the lines of overcoming internal procrastination than working around external obstacles, but still a powerful blend for a productive day.

In the imp: Buttery cinnamon. And why do I smell pears? It works though. Very interesting.

Wet: Cinnamon is stronger, but still has something sweet and soft underneath it.

Dry: Pretty much the same as the wet stage, but the cinnamon is a tiny bit stronger and it's overall spicier. It's very hot. I like it! This does seem to wake me up from the afternoon drowsies, too.

This was a frimp from Puddin' with my Etsy order, and I'm so happy that he included it! I would never have noticed this scent before, but I absolutely love it. It is so perfect for the season right now, too. It's a softly spiced apple cider, with a hint of cinnamon and cloves. Not strong enough to burn the skin, and gentle enough for a warm September day, while still giving hints of autumn. And I can really use the intent of the perfume for my life right now.

Frimp from the lab.

In vial: Sweet spices. A bit perfumy.

Prognosis: uh oh. No note list? Let's see what my super sniffer can detect.

On skin: mildly sweet and spicy (but not hot like saffron or pepper). I'm getting cinnamon, clove, & honey... There may be a fruit or berry in here, but I can't tell what it is.

Diagnosis: Not bad but cinnamon isn't my thing. Might swap.

I received frimps of this in two separate orders right around the time I was having a lot of difficulty with the program I'm in. I'm a music student, and I've got a lot of frustrating issues that go along with that that I'm trying to push through, so I thought it was a good time to test it out. I've been doing so off and on for a few months now, and I've been trying to use it like a milder version of the TAL of the same name.

I'm not a huge fan of the scent; it's cinnamony and mildly sweet. It's okay; I actually like to wear it to sleep and it's inoffensive when I need to wear it out. It's nothing I'd wear JUST for the scent, but I think it might layer nicely with some of the autumn scents.

As far as efficacy goes - I think it does help my mindset in an aromatherapy sort of way. It makes me feel a little stronger when I run up against those frustrating points and calms me enough to see a way around.

Smells like bananna to me.

And, yes, it delivers as promised. Great for days when you know you are going to be dealing with difficult people or have some seemingly impossible plan/event to pull off. Makes sure it all goes smoothly. I have to order another bottle of this. HUZZAH for Blocky. :D

Wet: a blast of orange marmalade, rosemary, pine, and apples.

Drydown: cinnamon, orange marmalade and orange rind, with a hint of apples, deeper rosemary. Comforting and energizing (emphasis on the zing part..) Reminds me of fabric and craft stores but not too offensive or too potpourri-ish.

Edited by SophieCedar

WOW, I have no idea what I smell like!

In the imp: CINNAMON. Oh...oh. I do not like cinnamon. Welp, here goes!

On me, wet: Still LOTS of cinnamon, but now there's wood! And some spicy kind of green note, too, that I actually really like. Mostly I'm just smelling cinnamon, though. Eh. I mean, it's not bad, I'm just not a huge cinnamon fan.

On me, dry: ...Gone. The cinnamon has mostly blended with that sharp green note, whatever it is, the wood is hanging around in the background, and I do not smell much of either.

WAIT. OH. Right next to my skin, there is this faint, nice, golden-clovey smell. Oh goodness I like that, why can't the whole perfume smell like that?

Hmm. Unsure. I like, kind of. I'll definitely finish the imp. I can't speak for any effects, I tested it on a day I have nothing to do. As a perfume, though, it's objectively nice but maybe just not me.

Edit: Okay, wore it again, since it wears off on me so quickly. This time I can smell more stuff--I think I'm getting cinnamon, cloves, mint, and...something sweet, that smells kind of like bread? It's really interesting. It doesn't really smell like perfume to me, but I like perfumes that smell like spices, and I think my verdict is a solid "neat".

Edited by karykeion

A light, cinnamony spice and fruitiness; more than anything it reminds me of pears poached with cinnamon, though The Cat disagrees with me on the specifics of the fruit. Not much throw – it's a close-to-the-skin scent – and only seems to last 3-4 hours.

Not at all unpleasant, but possibly a bit rich for me; the big question scent-wise is whether I want to smell like poached pears on a regular basis? :unsure:

I'm not sure about its effects, but while wearing it I did more event-organisation work than I had in the previous month. :blink: I'll have to try it in a specifically creative context some time soon.

Wet: Definitely apple and cinnamon, with something else too...

Drydown: Still apple and cinnamon plus a woodsy element. Possibly a soft evergreen and a woody herb like thyme or rosemary. The notes seem to be fighting for dominance. Sometimes it’s more woodsy fresh with a touch of spiced apple and other times it's more apple cider sweet over a base of soft woods and herbs.

Dry: Cinnamon, evergreen, clove, apple, rosemary, and maybe a sweet blossom of some sort, in that approximate order. The notes become softer and more blended as the day wears on. The overall impression is festive and content.

Fantastic! Deliciously sweet, spicy, and fresh, but not too foody. Autumnal and happy. I want to slather this stuff all over myself and will probably do so as soon as I get home. I haven't purchased any bottles yet, but this is definitely going on my short list of blends I need to stockpile.

7 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the imp this seemed strongly orangey and cinammon, perhaps with a hint of greenery.

Wet, it's cinnamon and green. Not hot cinnamon to me. Very very nice.

Dry, it's delightfully fragrant; possibly like orange-flower, slightly creamy.

I absolutely love this, so it seems a bit churlish to say that I really don't find it all matches the purpose the Lab gives for it. I find this - as others have said - comforting, homely, and calming. When I want to break through difficulties I'm more likely to wear Bloodlust or Brusque Violet; when I want short sharp courage I wear Pain; when I want deep inward imagining I wear The Great He-Goat. This I would wear more at the end of a hard day, than at the start.

In the Imp (ITI): Cinnamon and clove - strong and delicious!

Wet: The cinnamon has calmed down a touch, but now the clove and mulling spices with touches of apple come to the forefront. This reminds me of the holidays a bit.

Dry: Clove, mulling spices, cinnamon and delightful Christmas joy. I think a bottle of this is in order, especially for the holiday season.

Cinnamon, cinnamon, dry herbs, cinnamon. There's something sweet underneath, like marshmallow or bubble gum? Hmm, to me, this goes a little flat. It reminds me of a candle or a craft shop.

I love Blockbuster. It's such a comforting scent to me and I love to wear it to bed. Its very warm and softens up quickly upon application. There is definitely cinnamon in there. I can't pinpoint any other notes its so well blended. It reminds me of some of the other conjure scents and its definitely one of my favorites. I want a bottle!

Oh man, I think I know what my next bottle order will include - this fades so quickly on me, but it's SO GOOD. I'm getting perfectly spiced hot apple cider - I can't really pick out individual spices because it's so well-blended (though there might be cinnamon in this, it doesn't seem especially prominent like in the other ones I've tried). It's sort of candle-like on drydown, but not in the same way that Al-Shairan was on me. It's comforting and really, really nice.

Actually, you know what? This reminds me more of glögg than apple cider. Yum.

In the imp: This smelled like an old head shop, or like books that I keep near my incense burner.

On me: still that smell that reminds me of incense, but there's a sweetness behind it that tempers the smell.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased- when I first put it on, I was afraid I'd smell like unwashed hippie sweater all day, but it's more like a comfy jacket on a cool day. It's been a couple of hours and I'm just starting to smell the cinnamon, but it's not a strong part of the mixture- just a hint of spiciness, which keeps up the warmth. It's fairly strong on me, since I put on the tiniest bit and it hasn't faded in intensity, but the throw/sillage/other-people-smelling-this-ness seems to fade pretty quickly.

Sniffed in imp, cinnamon floating over discreet green herbs. On skin, cinnamon screaming over vanished herbs. And that is all I can smell. :sick: Straight to swaps it goes!

The cinnamon everyone else seems to be getting in this smells more like menthol or eucalyptus on me. Bummer, because I love cinnamon scents! But the menthol quality isn't actually medicinal or overwhelming here, it's actually quite bright and refreshing. I do get a little of the clove too.

I quite like this one, it's very different from any of the other perfumes I own or wear. I'll have to try wearing it for its intended uses.

Spices and cinnamon in the bottle. Goes on as what I can only describe as a cinnamon varnish: that sharp, ozonish edge to varnish, but not the chemical smell. I get some cloves and other spices, and a brief whiff of eucalyptus (which shouldn't work but somehow does), and then it's back to cinnamon. Doesn't last very long (maybe I have an old imp), but it's nice while it lasts.

Cinnamon, and those ritual herbs that I associate with most of the conjure bag oils. They never work on my skin, but this one has failed by the smallest margin so far. Still not something I want to wear, but I can appreciate it for what it is. Apple cider with cinnamon, and some faint funky herbs.

Eww eww. Is that almond or cherry? Death notes for me anyway, but... Tarty, slightly fruity, hyper sugary sweet. a little bit of cinnamon.

If you like the other GC foodies, and you've no issue with almond or cherry, you'll be sure to love this one. :P

Some kind of warm, buttery-apple sweetness -- a bit almond-like, a bit maple-like -- and spiced with cinnamon-clove.

A fall scent, unchanging on my skin, except to later fade.

I only tested for scent and not for intent.

It's very cinnamon and clove for me with a suggestion of some kind of fruit. It might be apple or cherry if I had to guess, but I'm not 100% sure. It reminds me of the candles people buy to smell like pie instead of the real thing. It is very consistent and doesn't change for what it's worth. It's not bad, but it really isn't my thing for wearing. I may hold on to the imp to test for intent another day. If I do, I'll report back.

I bought an imp of this one a few years ago but neglected to review it!

In the imp: Apples, cinnamon, and cloves. It's like a super spiced apple cider!

Wet: Roasted, mashed apples, pear, and cinnamon.

Dry: This smells like lots of (rather dry) cinnamon has been heaped upon some mashed apples. And I think there may be a bit of cherry as well.

Now I want some pie.

Verdict: Forever keeping! I can't attest to its purpose (although that's why I bought the imp in the first place...), but the scent itself is a lovely, spiced apple scent that would be great to wear in the autumn. I may end up getting a bottle of this one when I run out of Lambs' Wool.

Edited by dementia_divine