Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GalaxyLei

Gossamer v3

I can't pick out any notes specifically, but Gossamer is a light, gentle floral...it smells very clean, like just getting out of the shower, and makes me want to go cuddle under a blanket.

To me, Gossamer is a lighter scent that belongs in a similar category as The Unicorn. Unlike The Unicorn though, this one is definitely make with perfect white sweet florals.

Again, my nose is no good at picking out individual scents, but this one is definitely beautiful, light, and feminine. Definitely one of my new favorites!!

In the Bottle ♦ Hello Lilac! I see you have met Hungry Ghost Moon and eloped with ... at least part of it. I'd say this has the same crystalline musk at least. There is a hint of pale fruit, and something just the slightest bit creamy. The bottom notes are very understated.

Initial Application ♦ Lilac ... but so pretty (not your typical I'm a FLOWER dammit). Very delicate ... like bubbles; it even interprets into the same shimmering color as bubbles.

Dry Down ♦ This is where this scent really glows. Still lilac but soft and demure. I almost wonder if there's an element of rice in here ... but it may be white sandalwood. Whatever is in here, the lilac melts now into the other notes and this becomes perfectly balanced. The barest whisper of the pale fruit or maybe even candied ginger can still be felt.

Ethereal nostalgia. Fragile and quite beautiful. Like the memory of a mother's hands from childhood. Or a blanket made of sugared spun spider silk.

Edited by ObsidianSwirl71

This is a very light and airy floral. I think it might have lilacs, and possibly lilies, since it has a high pitched almost soapy quality to it. But it makes me think of 'soap bubbles'. Very clean. Very light. Pretty.

In the Bottle: Sharp and astringent

Wet: Whoa. This has some serious throw. Always happens with scents I don't like. My skin grabs any floral and runs with it like Harrison's 100-yard run in the Super Bowl.

Drydown: Harsh to my nose, but see above disclaimer. Must. Wash. Off.

This truly does live up to it's name. It is light and airy...with just the barest hints of mature perfume. I don't know how to describe this one...but I do know that it makes me wonder if this is what angels bathe with in the morning! :lol:

I got a sniffie of this from the lovely Schackjj, and I liked a bit more than she did :lol: Actually, I quite liked it, though i won't have more to say than anyone else did. It is like its name: light, fleeting, like a lovely sweet smelling soap bubble (but not soapy on me). Smells more like a white floral to me than lilac, but then again, I don't know that I've smelled many of the lab's lilac scents. To me, it is very white....like some sort of fragile white flower that dies upon being picked--it is that soft and delicate. Which makes me want to say magnolia, though honestly I cannot remember what magnolias smell like.

Its a very soft, lovely, and fleeting scent.

Gossamer

In the imp: a delicate and faint floral.

Wet on skin: linden? I think this may be linden. I could be wrong but this does have a dainty spring blossom feel to it.

Dry on skin: delicate flowers. I’m not sure what I smell in here but I’m thinking linden, moonflower and possibly gardenia? Definitely moonflower, actually, the more I smell it, the more I can detect that crystalline, high pitched and nocturnal floral note. in fact this also reminds me of the Evening Star, which I love. I wonder if there’s also a light poppy note here, or maybe a type of lily? The scent is incredibly ethereal and gauzy, bright and glimmering-like fairy wings. That’s what comes to mind when I smell this.

After a while: the moonflower becomes the dominant note here, with a background of something like poppy and some other flowers-maybe some blue musk too. Overall this reminds me of the night florals like Midnight, Evening Star, Yvaine, Midnight on the Midway etc. it’s incredibly pretty and it shimmers, glitters like stars.

Verdict: fairy wings, spider webs, dewy flowers in the moonlight. This scent conjures up the most gorgeous images. This is very floral, but not heavily, obnoxiously so. It’s a scent of delicate fragile blooms, fresh and light, both nocturnal blooms and spring blossom. I know for sure that I get moonflower out of this scent. I can only guess at the other notes-linden perhaps, or lilies, poppy and even some night air or blue musk. It certainly fits the name. but as expected from a scent of such fragility, it fades rather fast from the skin, it’s ethereal fragrance soon evaporates into nothingness. I think maybe this scent could do with something sweet, maybe a light vanilla musk, to ground the wispy florals in here. but I really like this-it’s incredibly pretty, and I’d probably buy more if it were released.

Emoticon rating: :heart:

Is it a keeper? maybe, but at the same time I want to pass my decant on, share the love!

Gossamer v3 - When I first sniffed Gossamer, it smelled like a very commercial perfume, but as soon as I put it on my skin, I realized there's nothing commercial about it at all. It's a beautiful, wispy, white floral scent, and I think I agree with yeahbutnobut more than any of the other previous reviewers. My first impression after applying this is "lilies!", but not in the usual "bad" way, since lilies often amp on my skin. I think the lily note (I would guess calla lily) is probably lighter on other people since my skin really does amp it. However, I think yeahbutnobut may be on to something with her thoughts about linden and moonflower. It hadn't occurred to me until I read her review, but I feel like she may be right about those and also the blue musk. There's definitely something very light in this blend that's not a floral, but which pulls the whole thing together. I do smell a tiny hint of what I think may be star jasmine, but I don't smell any lilac or magnolia in this blend, as previous reviewers have (and my skin usually amps both of those notes). This is a gorgeous, delicately dainty scent, and if it were to ever be released, I'd definitely be buying more. I could see myself wearing this a lot in the spring and summer because it's so light.

I don't ever write reviews because I'm just not as good as these other women on the forum who's reviews are just wonderful! And for these, I am very grateful! :wub2: But, the absolute beauty of Gossamer has driven me to make a fool of my self and write my first review.

"Oh Gossamer.....I love you." :thud:

*Ahem* On wards.

From the tinsy little amount I have, I agree with most everyone here in that this is definately a white floral scent. As yeahbutnobut and edenssixthday has mentioned, I also find Gossamer to be a lily scent. But more specifically, it is a Lilly-of-the-Valley scent. (I am so sure that it has Lilly-of-the-Valley in it, that I'm almost willing to place bets.) Perhaps, some moonflower, and I think vanilla musk (just a wee touch) in here too. I don't find any lilac in it, that others have found (my skin amps lilac). I don't find Gossamer to be soapy, sharp, or astringent in the least.

This really needs a catagory of its own but if I had to, I'd put it in with The Ghost or Veil. Not really the same scent but more of that kind of feel or atmosphere. It certainly has more staying power than these. It is ethereal, light, and flowing. Like fairies dancing on a swirling breeze of floral petals. Dark Alice is right, angels must bathe in this. Gossamer is the very definition of beauty.

"Ok now, Gossamer?" "Will you come to me now?" *sighs*

Edited by Katial8r

It's gray outside, gray and pouring. I dressed in my sweats to go to the supermarket on my day off. I flipped open my BPAL box because even sweats and scrunchie in the rain deserves to be topped off with something that smells great. Gossamer caught my eye, I haven't worn it since getting it and thought, "Why not?"

The actual fragrance is tough to describe, special is the only thing that comes to mind at first. Some scents you just can't wear with sweats, it's too incongruous but Gossamer made me feel special, like I was dressed up in finery from the inside out.

Airy without a trace of ozone, clean without a whiff of dryer sheets, floral sans soap, delicate with a backbone that belies it's softness like a blossom standing up to a sudden storm. Oddly enough, as Gossamer melded with my skin chemistry as the morning went on, the scent reminded me of the first time I stepped into a posh hair salon as a child to have an updo before going to the Nutcracker at the Wang Theater in Boston over the holidays. Like nothing I had experienced before, something completely special.

I got a quarter-imp as a very kind freebie from GoldenRubee :)

In the imp, it smelled faintly lemony.

Wet on my wrist, it smelled ozoney/dryer sheety with a bit of floral- not so good. :(

As it dries, the ozone seems to be fading a bit but this is, alas, not spectacular for me so far. *sigh* If it changes I will be thrilled, though.

i am so surprised with how much i love this scent! need moar bottles, plz. i think it's just the lightness of it, i know it's there but it doesn't overwhelm and doesn't dry down to mush.

In the bottle: Light yellow oil. Soft, powdery, slightly sweet and somewhat heady floral. Lily, for sure, maybe moonflower as well.

Wet: Much the same, maybe a little sweeter. Soapy edge. There's some of that black lily in there, but other lilies too. I almost get a soft vanilla.

Dry: Increasingly powder/soap, which effectively makes this seem less sweet. It is incredibly airy in feel.

Later: Some musk coming out - vanilla musk, I think - smooths the powder and soap over a bit, and makes this much nicer. It has faded on the whole.

Summary: Final drydown is some mixture of LILIES with possibly other light/soapy flowers - but definitely heavy on the lilies - and some very vanilllic musk to cut throw the soap/powder. It varies in throw from light to very light and back to light. Feminine.

I disagree with other reviewers - they're no linden, lilac, or lily of the valley here, and I tested against various scents to check. I would not rule out moonflower and/or sweet pea, though, in addition to multiple lilies.

In the bottle, I get a soapy floral. It remained quity soapy for a while - I think probably mostly because I may have overapplied - a little of this one goes a long way! I'd agree with the moonflower or sweet pea guesses, because of the soapiness on me. Once things settled down, Gossamer became a delicate, crystalline scent. This is the one you want to put on when you want to wear perfume, but you don't necessarily want anyone to know you're wearing perfume. Despite my heavy-handedness in application, this one never overpowers - it just drifts around in an airy little cloud. Quite lovely, and I'm so happy I was able to get my hands on a bottle!

I don't get all of the love for Gossamer; it just doesn't smell very good to me at all. This smells like an intense, heavy, cheap white floral perfume to me (like something you'd find in the bargain bin at Walgreens) mixed with some cheap, metallic, chemical-y hairspray.

I usually love the lab's moonflower note, and I can't pick out any moonflower in this. I get harsh white floral (like bad iris, opium poppy or tuberose) and something like sharp, dryer sheet ozone. It's not soft, gentle, or sweet on me at all...

Edited by Little Bird

Slightly sweet, light floral. Very delicate and pretty. Much like Rosalind, this scent makes me feel young and pretty, I would love wearing this on a spring day! After drydown, however, turns more soapy on me. Alas, I think I'll pass on this.

This is a white, occasionally lilac or blue tinted light. Not like a color, but light streaming in through the window at night. This is moonflower most definitely, with some bright white musk, and a slight vanilla base (which comes out most at the extreme dry down). It starts off a little high pitched, but mellows nicely on my skin. There's other flowers in this too, I don't THINK there's jasmine, but there might be gardenia. This is a really young, pretty scent, and I am SO glad I finally found half a bottle. (plus one imp, lol)

This is feminine and pretty, soft and ethereal, light and silky.. very apt for its name.

I'm thinking.. skin or perhaps white musk (very light), something in the pale pink floral range (also very light), and a slight hint of perhaps champagne or white grape (very very light).

Whilst this is definitely very lovely, it's not a "me" scent - I think Beth does these ethereal/elusive soft florals beautifully and there's a lot already to choose from. So I will enjoy this decant and be thankful that I'm safe from needing to find a bottle of it :smile:

Gossamer is a light scent like most of the reviewers said, but its pretty and holds it's own all day without having to be re-applied. It goes on kind of soapy while wet and smells like good old Mr Bubble, but that goes away as soon as it starts drying. There's some type of flower in it, but I can't even try to say what. Its just soft and pretty and almost fluffy, and I agree that angels probably bathe in something that smells like this. My husband said he REALLY likes it, so its a winner. Sorry sweety, but this scent is way too feminine for you. :wub2:

If Tolkien's elves had a smell, this would be it. It's a gauzy, ethereal floral, but by no means namby-pamby. The more it dries down, the more I'm drawn to it because it just has this eerie and mysterious quality I can't get enough of and just need t keep smelling one more time to try to place. It's so well-blended that I can't pick out any particular note, though there must be white musk and possibly moonflower, but it makes me think of elvensong and the lost city of Gondolin and the mists of the Gray Havens (excuse the fantasy nerd coming through). Hauntingly beautiful.

Edited by Invidiana

1246912463_Zij7m-Ti.jpg

My scent tastes tend to more resins, more incenses, things of that sort. There are some floral blends I love, and Gossamer has joined that list.

This is a lovely, ethereal, light-but-staying blend, and to my nose, lily-of-the-valley, white musk, and maybe moonflower notes. I smell no jasmine whatsoever (thank goodness), and this scent only gets better as it warms with my body heat. Unlike many white floral blends, this does not go soapy on me, and doesn't fade away quickly either, but lasts with a crystalline quality which is amazing.

Lovely, just lovely. The icon I made with the Loony Tunes character really doesn't do this pretty scent justice, but it makes me smile so I'm keeping it. 3 of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

I get a light watery floral, a soft skin musk with a soft, almost toasty note in the back. As it settles the 'toasty note' almost completely goes away. I find this is in the same vein as The Unicorn, mostly ethereal, hazy, white florals. Unfortunately with time, this gets sharper and headier on me. This has strong throw.

A very pretty floral, definitely a lily-based floral with something a bit more tropical feeling. Perhaps a stargazer? Anyway, this goes on very much a sharp, soapy floral. It's strong and very kinda screamy. What happens to that in drydown is amazing. The floral element is still a bit soapy but gets less and less so over time; it becomes this light, almost intangible thing that holds together the vanilla like background that emerges to take over the blend. It's a bit musky but not really. It's also a bit resiny but again, not really. Very pretty, delicate, and light. White light.