Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
GalaxyLei

Medb v4

Green and fresh, with a bit of fresh berries in the background...maybe blackberry? That fades away on drydown, and I am left with the slightly wet smell of growing things. A very spring/summer scent, delicious!

No berries for me, just fragrant, fresh, growing things with a hint of something else (a light musk?) in the background. Definitely brings to mind the green rolling hills of old Erin.

ETA: About an hour in, it's still going strong. Grass, and a faint wisp of something slightly masculine. Still, this comes across as gender neutral.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

Lush green and fresh as the others have noted, but this isn't the bright green grass of A Blade of Grass. This feels darker and wetter. There is a juicy bottom note. Maybe a little ozone or chrome sneaking in there too.

As it dries down, the musk comes out. Not red, not black. A much lighter and very sweet musk. The grass is only a teeny whiff of green now. I was iffy on it wet but the drydown is amazing.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Something of Garden Path with Chickens, some part of the sun burnt grass note from Dog Days of Summer. I can see what TwilightEyes is saying about the chrome, but it isn't something I would have picked up on my own. I'd have more likely guessed the bitterness of growing things. Now I don't know if this is kosher to add in a review, but I'm smelling a spicy floral that I'm pretty sure ISN'T carnation, it reminds me of CB: I Hate Perfume's ginger lily or ginger flower scent. I'm getting the berry smell as the initial hit of bitter greenery mellows.

It's odd, Medb starts out a fighting woman on my skin with strong greens, juicy berries, spicy flowers, and burnt grass, but morphs into a mellow ginger flower with sheets that have dried in the sun sort of scent after an hour or so. My Irish Lit prof would be so annoyed with me, but I think I like meek Medb more than Medb the warrior queen! :blush:

In the Bottle: A bit of woodiness and an impression of age, like a whiff of mustiness

Wet: At first, a bite of sharpness. This has no resins, sweetness, or smoothness to it, IMO. Floral scent!! :ack: If there's more than one in there, I couldn't tell you. My olfactory receptors go into shock when I test these. They must have been beaten by a bouquet when I was a child and never recovered from the experience.

Drydown: Surely you didn't think I got that far?

In bottle:

Green, herbal, a little floral.

Wet:

Greener, more florals. It's ok, but not great.

Drydown:

Whoa. Gorgeous. A little sweet, a touch spicy, and an underlying herbal floral scent that's just lovely, and perfectly balanced.

A fabulously generous sniffie from cheshirecat :wub2:

In the vial & wet, Medb is very floral - I'd bet there's sweet pea in here, as it's reading like bath cubes to me. It's a very nostalgic scent for me - I think my gran used to send me bath cubes from England when I was little, and they smelled a bit like this. There's a very fresh grass note in play, too - not as obvious as in Blade of Grass, more the "dewy grass" of Mag Mell. There's another floral in here, too, something lush & orchid-y - I think halcyon_flight's onto something with the ginger flower... I keep thinking I might catch a bit of the berries folks are talking about, but it's so fleeting, I'm not sure.

I think there's just a drop of vetiver in here... I can't really smell it where I actually applied the oil, but my fingertips have just a trace of that blackened grass scent. The longer Medb dries, the darker it gets - wet, it's all sunshine on wet grass & pea blooms, but now it's as if a deep, almost smokey shadow's been cast over the garden, and you can start to smell the decomposing leaves...

A fantastic scent, if for the sunshine to darkness olfactory journey alone :clap:

Medb v4 - It starts of with a fresh, green, green, very green grassy scent that's sharpened by the scent of something that's quickly gone soapy. Another reviewer smelled sweet pea, and sweet pea is one of my #1 "soap" culprits and always turns soapy instantly, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening here. As it sits on my skin, I feel like I can smell something slightly damp beneath the surface, like wet leaves, but it's very light and not heavy at all like the autumn leafy scents traditionally released by BPAL. This scent is really bright and bold upon first applying it, but within 5 minutes it fades and becomes extremely light and about as ethereal as a grass scent can be. It fades completely within 30 minutes.

In the bottle: Extremely pale yellow oil. Fresh, green, grassy, herbal. Almost a little sharp. A hint of dark wild berries. Wildflowers, definitely daisy, and others that are a little clean-soapy and a little spicy - phlox? Slightly mentholic, possibly a booze note, like vermouth.

Wet: A little sweeter and more fruity. Spicier, in a floral way. Nasturtium. I'm getting a strong Garden Path with Chickens vibe, but with a few berries thrown in, similar to those ones from Baneberry. Also, citrusy verbena.

Dry: Increasingly lemony in that Pledge-verbena way, and going a bit more soapy, so I'm getting that 'lemon dish detergent' thing. Still, very herbal and green. Grass, thyme and dandelion. The berry note doesn't really meld with the rest of the blend.

Later: Increasingly spicy, the nasturtium note is SO strong. The berry note has sadly faded, and this has lost a lot of its sweetness. The dandelion is also amping like crazy. I'm also getting some very light, well-behaved vetiver.

Summary: I think the berry is cloudberry, as from The Host of Air, though it's a bit overpowered here. Combined with strong dandelion and nasturtium, lemon verbena, phlox, grass, thyme, daisy, and possibly another soapy floral. Great throw.

Final word: Garden Path With Chickens crossed with The Host of the Air

It's just a tad too lemony, soapy and mentholic for me, and a little heavy on the nasturtium, or this is something I would definitely enjoy.

Final word: Garden Path With Chickens crossed with The Host of the Air

Agreed. I don't get any menthol from this, but I did get a bit of a citrus herbal blast at the beginning (probably lemon verbena), and it's got the same berry quality as Host of Air mixed with the green grass and wildflower greenness of Garden Path with Chickens. I don't really get spicy/hint of vetiver here, but that might be my skin chemistry.

Pretty, and if ever released I might pick up more as I am fond of both the Host of Air and Garden Path with Chickens.

This one morphs quite a bit.

It starts out lemony - the lemon is really the common thread through all the stages so far. Not even remotely like Pledge - muted lemon, like a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade (as opposed to the stronger artificial lemon). It then turns a little floral, ALMOST soapy but not quite. As it dries, it gets more herbal - I get the menthol impression, but I agree that it's probably verbena. I don't get any berries at all. It doesn't have much throw, but it hasn't faded at all.

It's definitely a cousin of Host of the Air, as has been said several times, although this is much more yellow than green. It's definitely a wonderful summer scent, and I hope there's a full-blown release of this in the future.

Wet, this is very grassy, then plant-y green, with a hint of some sort of berry to add sweetness. As it dries, it morphs into almost a Mme. Moriarty-esque scent, without the patchouli (or else it's hiding REALLY well), very heady and almost musky. Later on, it fades back to something musky and sweet, very nice.

This reminds me a bit of a not-as-sweet Garden Path with Chickens - herbal, green, slightly floral, and slightly lemony - but it's like Garden Path with Chickens in soap form. Something in this goes really soapy on my skin (reminds me of dish soap) and then takes on more of a sharp, perfumey floral note in the drydown. It's not awful, but there are definitely green scents that I like a lot more than this one...