Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

This is my first experience with a milk scent, and I was really disappointed.

I'm certainly ready to blame it on my body chemistry, and unfortunately, I don't get a lot of scent straight out of the imp so I can't give an "in the bottle" evaluation.

The milk went all sour and sad on me. Sudha is the 2nd BPAL I've tried that I wanted off my skin immediately.

I don't really know how to use it as a room scent, but would certainly be interested in trying it with this one. The description is so lovely, I would really like to know how this smells...just not on me. Edited by Shollin

Ginger! Wonderful sweet ginger…reminds me of a candy called Ginger Chews. Very calming and comforting, since I identify ginger as something that makes me feel better. The milk is very in the backround on me. Just lovely.

*note-this imp was at least a year old. I remember trying it when fresh and thinking "plastic!"

In the imp, this smells like strong, slightly sweet ginger. I love ginger and ginger-y smells so I was excited to try it.

On my skin, it smells gentle and warm: a creamy ginger with just a bit of honey. I can see this being a wonderful addition to a soothing bath at the end of a long day. My only issue is that the scent wasn't very strong and faded pretty quickly. Since I'm still fairly new to bpal and don't want to be That Stinky Guy, I don't apply very much, so I'll try applying more this time, but I think this may just be a very light scent on me.

I'll see what happens next time I wear this, but I may need to use it in my oil burner or dabbed onto my lavender eye pillow. I know ginger is supposed to be invigorating, but it's always been a calm, comforting scent to me.

In the imp: Uhhhh citrus?

Wet: Ugghh! I don't know what that is but it smells like bathroom airfreshner to me. :P !

Drydown: Seriously, I don't know if this one is just old or tainted or what, but it strongly reminds me of public bathroom. In a bad way. This is so weird! I know what ginger smells like and I'm not getting it at all.

I have to go wash this off now. Emergency bubble bath! Stat!

Bottle: Very perfume-y. Floral.

On Me: I don't get any milk in this. The perfume is gone, though this is still not at all what I was expecting. I guess I thought it would be something like O, or Dorian, but instead it's quite clean and pretty. A little on the soapy side. Not good with my chemistry I guess

This was lovely and friendly and warm, for about ten minutes. Then? It disappeared. On me, this is the shortest-lived scent of them all, which is sad because if it had kept that scent for even three or four hours it might have been a new favorite.

I've had this imp for a long time (and I don't remember where it came from, frimp from lab or gentle gift from some nice forumite); had to scan the reviews to see if I'd reviewed it, but it seems I didn't. Of course, since we are still in Mercury retro mode, I might have missed my own review (for which I beg indulgence of mods and all and sundry).

True to my usual style I put this on without checking the notes or the reviews--I don't think I tried it when I first received it; somehow it was tucked away into one of my little boxes of "will try these tomorrow" and neglected.

My first thought was "vanilla" but then my first thought is often "vanilla" or "vanilla?" because I like vanilla a bunch. My second thought was babypowder, but that isn't a bad thought--there was a creamy, white, nursery-sort of smell about it (having checked the notes? milk and honey, of course). And my third thought was "spice?" which is also a frequent thought of mine.

My nose, you see, is pretty naive.

My fourth thought was Ivory soap.

Which is kind of the story here. That being said, Sudha Segara is a sweet and comfortable sort of fragrance. Doesn't have much throw, but would be nice for cuddles. And if this is ginger, I like ginger, which emboldens me to try more ginger scents. Even the soap phase is very pleasant--clean and shiny and kind of uncomplicated. It isn't the sort of fragrance I usually am drawn to--but it's nice and comforting.

In the imp - Ginger!

On my skin, at first I can't smell it at all… Reapplied, ooh, there it is, ginger! And something tangy, almost lemony?

After a few minutes I can hardly smell anything anymore...

Unfortunately this is just disappearing on my skin, sad since it smells so nice off the bat! I might have to give it another try and hope it sticks around longer!

In the bottle: Honey, ginger, and milk! Slightly sweet and spicy.

Wet: Pretty faint. The honey and milk notes are weaker. There's something a little herbal in this.

Dry: Very faint, spicy ginger-milk. Fades SO fast. It's pretty foody, but not in a baked goods sort of way.

Summary: Delicate ginger-milk. Soothing and yummy, but such low throw and dismal wearlength.

Not really my style, thankfully.

Almost sicky-sweet when I put it on, but just enough spice to make it interesting enough to keep on.

Ten minutes later... I want to make love to my own wrist. And possibly give it expensive jewelry and furs. Cinnamon and honey and.. powdered incense, but not burning.

Some time later. I appear to be one of the lucky ones that Sudha does not disappear on. My stars, this is beautiful. The undertone is warm and rich and smooth, with a sharp edge of spicy ginger right on top. Like a satin pillow holding a lovely, lovely golden dagger. With a curved blade.

This is a very pretty clean scent on me almost laundry detergent but a whole lot prettier and more delicate. I really like it :P

Just ginger. I get no sweetness, no honey, no milk, no ambrosia. The other notes must be doing something to mellow the ginger, even if I can't smell them distinctly, because this ginger isn't snappy or overly spicy. It's almost mellow. I think I smell a hint of sandalwood. I really like this, but it has almost no throw and fades very quickly.

cloying thick honey tinged sweetness. ginger, where are you? not liking the milk. gets even more sickly sweet during drydown.

and then, powder!

nuh uh. :P

When I first tried this 7-8 months ago, it was strong, painfully sharp, and sour. Nothing remotely warm or sweet or milky about it, and I hated it.

Tried it again today before listing it for swaps, and it's a totally different animal. Now that it's nicely aged, I'm getting exactly the soft, creamy, gingery honey & vanilla scent everyone has been raving about! The ginger is still fresh but much softer and vaguely lemony — none of that sharp, hot, green bite it had when I first tried it. The milk note is warm and sweet, not sour and curdled. I love love love this!!! Big bottle for sure! :P

In the imp--honeyed ginger milk.

On my skin, it smells of milky candied ginger. It is a charming smell, youthful and uplifting. The spice of the ginger (a really lovely spice, at that) is balanced beautifully with the honey. After a time it goes a bit soapy (which is odd, as there isn't anything in there that should make it do that...), but mostly maintains that lovely candied ginger scent. Also--this is one of the only milk scents that doesn't smell curdled on me, so major pluses for that.

While I really love the smell of this, I don't know that it's the right perfume for me--it actually reminds me of an Origins body scrub I gave a friend of mine back in high school--Something I really enjoyed sniffing and knew she would love, but would probably not use myself. And yet--I still would like to have it around...just in case.

the ginger in this went sorta lemony...i didn't get a cream/milk note at all...but what really baffled me about this scent was its extraordinarily short life term. after, i kid you not, 5 minutes...nothing remains. NOTHING. i was worried it may be the ginger or something, because i'm pretty sure i love gingery scents and that they work on me, but now i'm seeing many reviews here that also point to the disappearing act sudha segara pulls. so i don't feel alone. it's just one of those scents *shrugs*

Wet in imp:

milk & honey

Wet on skin:

honey and powder (applied more and started to detect ginger)

Drydown:

faint, clean smell (still powdery)

Final impression:

I could barely smell it, but others could smell it strongly from 3 yards away. If I can't smell it, it's not worth it.

Sudha Segara smells soooooooooo comforting. Warm, clean, comfortable, relaxing, and surprisingly unfoody, at least on me. Sadly I don't get much ginger from this, but the soothing creaminess is definitely there. It doesn't have a ton of throw on me, but I find that my skin really tends to devour scents as a rule. I want a 5ml of this.

Nice! Reminds me of something from childhood. Not a scent I would normally go for, yet I find myself sniffing my wrist every five minutes. Creamy and warm with a touch of fresh ginger.

Not as spicy as I was expecting...it's a slightly sweet, mellow honey with a hint of ginger. Such an innocent yet slightly spicy scent...clearly a gateway fragrance to harder things :P.

A generous lab frimp! Approximately 2 weeks old.

In the imp: I don't smell.. anything.

Wet: Nothing, still. Weird.

Dry: There it is! A soft, but fresh, ginger. Maybe some lemon too? It reminds me of this chewy ginger candy I get at the Asian market. Comforting. I can't detect the milk at all, and the honey seems to just be softening the ginger's sharpness.

Overall: Mm.. not an all-time favorite, but definitely pretty a cozy. I'll happily use up my imp!

Color association: Golden

My thoughts on this were almost the same as Eatingthesea's review above. I didn't get any milk/honey notes, the ginger was a little funky, and it disappeared FAST. This was not the yummy warm and cozy scent I had hoped for!

This imp was in my last order. As I am a ginger fiend, I had to try it.

In the imp: Just a light scent that was a bit fresh. Nothing distinguishing.

I was stupid and spilled it all over me. Wet, it was sharp ginger with something lurking behind. I couldn't put my finger on it.

Dry: It was a lovely creamy slightly sweetened ginger. It is lovely! Even with it spilled all over my arms, it is a light scent. Fresh, lingering, ginger, honey goodness. I really love this. It has faded a considerable amount since application an hour ago, which is sad. I think that if I hadn't spilled it all over me, it would be gone.

However, I really love it and would love to be able to see how it ages. Not much left in the imp, but, I shall put it away and pull it out in a couple of months. If it has become even better, I will definitely be getting a bottle. I really love it.

Got an aged bottle of this (not sure how old, but the label is faded if that's worth anything) and I'm quite pleased!

Milk is a note that really works on me, but ginger doesn't always. In this case, its very light and I can't pick out the honey at all.

I'm not sure how I'd describe it other than light and creamy, but its something I can imagine wearing in any weather and on any casual occasion (and most of my occasions are casual). I'll probably try it as a layering note as well. I'll be keeping this!