Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

Oh, I really love this. Soft, sweet, with the ginger giving it just a little *something*. The problem is that I can barely smell it, even after slathering it on!

Maybe I'll try it again after my moon passes....

When I smell this I get a warm, creamy ginger..

It's so beautiful in the vial, and on my skin I just want to die because I love it so much!!!

It's rich and luxurious and divine...

I just feel spoiled when I wear it!

The honey comes out after dry down creating this beautiful subtle sweetness that makes this scent even more amazing than the start of it....

I'm in love - I need this in a 10ml.

Dear sweet goddess, I think I'm in love.

Wet on wrist - It's sharp and green (!?) but also warm with a sweet undercurrent - my (uneducated) guess is the sharpness is ginger, while the sweet undercurrent is milk/honey.

10 minutes - Already starting to fade, alas! The sharp, spicy ginger has melded back a bit and let the sweet come through and oh...the wonderful things this does for my nose!

30 minutes - Barely able to be smelled - my skin apparently soaks this puppy right up. WTF, skin? You eat up precious scents like Fae and now this, but Hymn to Proserpine stays on after two scrubbings? For shame!!

Final verdict? This definitely will be a 10ml purchase - again, not an everyday scent...but Sudha Segara gives me visions of late nights out, leaning over to grab a drink from a crowded bar and a cute boy leaning in just a little too close. Warm, spicy, electric. Oh yeah, I could raise some hell with this one. :P

I've been looking forward to trying out a ginger based BPAL perfume...whee!

In the Imp: Creamy and yet barely spicey. It actually kind of reminds me of some incense I've had once upon a time. It doesn't smell like it would take over a room like most incenses though.

Wet: Ginger with depth. Just comforting and warming and safe, yet spicy and just a tad dangerous. I love it so far!

Dry: So sweet and spicy; I wonder what the Ambrosia mixture is? I still get that slight hint of incense in it.

Throw: I'm haveing a hard time gauging the throw. I get the feeling it's a good amount of throw, but it's just such a subtle scent that lots of people might not notice it at first. Which could be exactly what you want. :P

Overall: Couldn't be more lovely. I've had it on for two hours now and it's still going strong. I'm hoping it at least reaches the four or five hour mark.

I definately want another imp (as the one I got was a freebie that had about three tiny drops left in it), and most likely a 5ml when I have the fundage.

Edit: well crap, it only lasted about 3 or so hours. :D

Edited by Galatea

Oh blech, I really don't like this at all. It went on so very powdery and I didn't smell a fresh ginger smell or a sweeter ginger (Origins type) smell. It was just weird, and I can't describe it, but I got a very gut level yuck reaction with this one.

Update: I got a lab frimp of this in my last oder and oh man...that first imp was a dud. This smells sooo good! I finally understand the wonderful reviews...it is a really creamy, lightly sweet, and slightly gingery relaxing scent. May have to get more of this one. :P

Edited by gloom & doom bear

In the imp: It's a lot sweeter than I expected. I guess I was expecting more ginger. It's pretty, though.

On my skin: It doesn't change any from what it was in the imp. There's not a lot of throw, and like almost everyone else, it does fade very fast on me. :P It's a shame, because I really like this. It would maybe have been nice if there was a little more ginger, as well. I think I might buy it again. We'll see.

Sudha Segara seems to be a universal favorite among BPALers, so I figured I had to try it. It's supposed to smell like... ginger and milk, I believe? Well, on me, it smells about like what skim milk would smell like if I dabbed it on my skin. That is to say, it's milk-scented, but very faint, and well, it just doesn't have anything there that really grabs me. After continuing to hear rave reviews I thought maybe I got an old imp (since I'd swapped for it), so I ordered an imp directly from the Lab, yet even the Lab-fresh oil had the same reaction on me. Swapped it away and won't be bothering with it again. I really wish I could smell whatever it is that everyone else finds so enticing about this particular blend.

In the vial: Sweetness! Ginger and honey.

On me: Oh, this scent is absolutely wonderful! The ginger seriously pops on me, and combined with the other scents - milk and honey - smells like some kind of delicious tea. It's ever so slightly soapy, but still, I love this.

Verdict: This smells great! I think it'll be a cool summer scent. Not sure yet if it's bottle-worthy, though.

Rating: 4/5

In the imp it smells pretty, very sweet but if I concentrate more I get a very disconcerting smell that I'm not fond of.

As soon as I put it on, that disconcerting smell comes on me full force. Now usually honey scents turn straight to plastic on me but with this it instead turns to DISHSOAP. Not soapy but a very sweet in a very bad way type of soapy that you would find in dishsoap or maybe deodorant. Yuck. It doesn't smell bad I guess, but it completely overpowers me with the scent of washing dishes that I couldn't stand it anymore and washed it off. This is going far far away from me.

Mmm, this is is the same milk and honey scent as in Dana O'Shee, very mild and sweet but with little throw. Ginger's almost lemony spiciness gives it a little oomph, but I was hoping for a more assertive ginger than I'm getting here. I'm betting the "ambrosia" contains some amber, because I get a whiff of amber's powderiness as well.

I can see why a lot of people like this, especially as a summer scent--it mostly smells like sweet, clean skin, like a clean, freshly-fed baby ought to smell, with just a bit of that ginger wafting through it. However, something about the blend also reminds me of a foot powder my dad used to use. It's not a bad smell in the least, just not "me". I like more assertive scents than this.

In the bottle: Powdered fruit candy with ginger

Wet: Powdered fruit candy with ginger

Dry: You guessed it : powdered fruit candy with ginger........

I love it though! :P It just disappears really quickly on me......ah well....I'll just have to slather, which I don't mind doing since it's a GC scent.

When it's almost gone I get a really nice fresh, clean air scent........I don't get any milk and honey though.......

yep, this is a good one. i think it's all been said: very soft and creamy, ginger and a very delicate honey which develops after the ginger..i'm not sure what ambrosia actually is, but this is just heavenly, divine, etc. it's creamy and sexy, but innocent and nurturing, all at the same time. milky and velvety, delicately sweet and so soft. this will be an addicting one!

hunh. i swapped (or bought. i forget) this from a forumite, cuz i thought the name was pretty. and i tried it, without reading the description of included notes...

i hate ginger. hate. and generally consider Ambrosia to be cherryish. but i guess, in this blend... i'm wrong?

impsniff: smells like Caswell Massey's Love Potion Number 9, specifically the dusting powder and shower gel.

dry, on my skin: actually, it doesn't change much. i don't get ginger... i get milk, honey and few drops of rosewater. smells so much like the Caswell Massey love potion, though, i feel like i've gone back in time (to when i wore that everyday -- cuz i sold it, especially to the guys that came in the store looking for a gift)

i like this... i think it would also be a good enabling scent for the easily frightened... moms, coworkers....

or use to make gifts for female relatives. yes, i like this... i think i need a bottle...

A nice light scent that I had almost forgotten about!

Sudha Segara is almost entirely ginger with the slight sweetness of honey, from wet application to drydown on me. It isn't an overpowering ginger, nor is it overpoweringly sweet from the honey or ambrosia. Just a gentle, calming bit of spicy.

I don't get any creaminess in this at all. Once it's dried, I get a sweet citrusy ginger scent that reminds me of B&BW's discontinued Ginger Lime. I LOVED that scent - fresh, clean and a slight bit energizing.

I do believe this one's a keeper! :P

In imp: It smells like most other honey scents.

On me, wet: The milky note is kind of sour.

On me, dry: It's very faint, as all honey scents are on my skin. Mostly it smells like milk that I spilled on myself.

Verdict: Definitely not for me.

To me, this smells like Dana O'shee with the addition of ginger and the subtraction of most of its throw and lasting power (not that DOS has a lot of either to begin with). It smells vaguely tea-like for some reason, also. It's really a lovely, fresh and comforting scent, and I can see why so many people like it, but my skin just eats it up so quickly that I'd probably go through a bottle in about a week, so no 5ml for me.

ADDED Jan. 3:

I get mostly ginger and milk from this, with just a hint of sweetness from the honey. It's very light, and I prefer my ginger scents with more of a punch. Still, it's a pleasant and comforting aroma, and I'll probably keep my imp around.

Sudha Segara on me smells cool, tingly, sparkly, bubbly....not a milky scent at all to me. I smell lemon and lime, and tea too. The ginger is there too, altogether a very cooling scent, and I'm not really sure if I'm into it or not. I think I'm foiled by my expectations a lot, and some scents I like much more on 2nd or 3rd try. Maybe this is one of them.

I did layer this with Dorian and Dragon's Blood today, and it was a little heavy and cloying but still nice (I was bored). I called it Dragon's Reflection...'reflection' meaning meditation for the Sudha Segara, but also the reflection of Dorian's portrait. I liked it so maybe Sudha Segara has layering potential for me.

I am absolutely split about Sudha Segara. When I open the imp and apply, it is a wonderful clean, fresh, slightly soapy scent. But literally minutes after it hits my skin it starts to disappear. I used the entire imp in one application and still, after 30 minutes, I could smell nothing at all.

If the scent would last, this might be one of my favorite BPALs. I get nothing milky, nothing lemony, nothing gingery, just fresh loveliness. But I don't think I could make this stick even with some sort of layering concoction.

In the bottle: A light citrus.

On me: This really surprised me. I thought it'd be rich and honey-creamy-foodlike, and though I don't smell ginger, I do smell something light and herbal, almost leafy or flowery, delicate, that is just very comforting in combination with the slight, slight richness. Fresh. quickly fades (I hate how when they're not floral or musky or woody they're GONE) to a light greenness that's still very reassuring. I appreciated this one a lot.

This reminded me of tea! I'm not sure why, because there's no tea in it, but I guess it's the combination of milk, honey, and ginger. It's a very comforting scent.

In the bottle: Hmmm, very sweet, nearly floral ginger.

Wet: The ginger turns dry and spicy and - dammit - chalky. Grr. I start getting undercurrents of honey, different from the usual lab honey note.

Drydown: Ginger and honey. It smells very citrusy and tart, not even that spicy anymore, more like fresh ginger root, soapy and lemony. The milk slowly develops, as a creamy undertone to the ginger, it's surprising and works well with the rest of the blend. The honey also comes out once the ginger lets up a bit, and everything comes to a pleasant balance.

Overall: It's quite a soapy blend, in that fresh ginger tends to smell soapy. The milk and honey add a soft creamy feel and I certainly wouldn't mind drinking a glass of something that smells like this. However, the ginger is too tart on my skin instead of being spicy. Very pleasant, but not my kind of blend.

In the imp: A soft, vaguely sweet smell - for some reason, Dove soap immediately springs to mind.

On wet: This has got to be, without doubt, one of the faintest BPAL blends I've ever tried. I can barely smell *anything* after immediate application, and I all but slathered it. The barely-there whiffs I *am* getting are still soft, lightly sweet, and soapy.

Drydown: Still incredibly faint - to the point where I actually had to sniff around my wrist to find where I'd applied it. Still primarily soap, too (though I'm pretty sure I caught a ghostly whisper of something that *could* have been ginger at one point) and not much else.

Overall: This was one of the first frimps I ever received. I tried it as soon as I got it, discovered how weak it was with my skin chemistry, and promptly put it in the 'Try Again' pile. Since then - almost a year ago - I've broken it out a few more times, hoping that it would have aged into something more intense, or that my nose, being fed a steady diet of BPAL, would've somehow become more aware of it. Alas, this fantasy I've so desperately clung to has not come to pass. Sudha's just as Dove soap for me now as it was that first time I sniffed it...and that makes me a sad panda. :P

A (very reluctant!) 2/5.

Oh, how I am glad that the honey in this didn't go playdough on me.

Although, it didn't really go anything on me. It smells wonderful in the imp, but on me it just vanishes into a faint creaminess that's kinda boring.

Ah well, they can't all be winners. :P

In the bottle: I had to sniff twice, this is so light. A sweet honey scent, with just the tiniest bit of spice from the ginger.

Initial application: a slightly (but only slightly) stronger version of Lush's 'Honey, I Washed the Kids' soap. Luckily, I love that soap. Not so luckily, it's fading almost immediately.

Drydown: this is the first BPAL I had to reapply less than an hour after first application, my skin eats it almost immediately, leaving just the faintest touch of creamy honey behind. It's lovely, it really is, but at the rate it's fading I'll be done with the imp by the end of today.