Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

In the vial: Creamy honeyed ginger. Slightly plasticky.

On: On, it loses the plastic vibe. It's creamy, honeyed ginger. Rather nice. It doesn't really wow me, but it is a comforting scent... like a glass of warm ginger-honey milk to help you sleep (Vishnu has taste).

Later: Most of the creaminess and the honey are gone in favor of ginger, but I still kinda like it. Will keep the imp, though no bottle for me.

Lovely! The milk note in alice combined with the ginger note in Mag Mell (a bit softer version though). The honey is faint and creamy. This is rather pretty, light, and fresh. Like a combination of Mag Mell and Alice but without the florals and the super brightness. I must say I rather enjoy this one, ginger can be iffy but when it is done right IT IS DONE RIGHT. I don't know if I'll need a bottle, but this is one to watch!

All the individual notes sounded fantastic, but it was a little disappointing when I tried it on. It fades really fast, to a faint soap smell, and it's almost all ginger to me. I can't detect the milk note at all, even hours later, which is too bad since I love the milky smell of White Rabbit after it dries down, but don't like the wet phases that much.

To sum up: a generic pleasant smell like hotel soap when sniffed from a distance, but when you get closer, it's all ginger, no cream/honey. Not fresh ginger, though; on me, it's a dried, musty, spicy ginger, so it smells a bit like the incense area in a head shop to me.

Add me to list of folks that love this scent! As with many others, it doesn't have much staying power on me, but I love it anyway. I will have to figure out a different way to wear/use it. Initially, it has a very strong gingery scent. That mellows out after 20-30 minutes as the milk and honey start to make an appearance. The scent continues to be dominated by the ginger, but has a nice, soft background with the milk and honey. At this point, be ause of how quickly it disappears, I'm undecided If I want to get a bottle.

I was so afraid this would turn on me, as milk can go this way or that on me depending on the combination of notes.. but...

I honestly didn't know what to think of this at first. In the imp I could smell the ginger, with stuff.. I'm not the greatest note decipherer and I go by thoughts, feelings and images when encountering a scent...

This is really like rushing into a warm light - but wait.. it's not a light. It's a river.. but it's dry.. .. and creamy yellow. It's slinky like silk - there is no fluff, no billowing here.. it's all smooth and soft.

I CAN smell the ginger, but it is tempered, softened, calmed. This perfume doesn't announce itself, it doesn't slidle up from behind you, it doesn't seduce you or attack you. It's just... there. It's unapologetic and unchanging, firm but delicate. This is not a scent that marches up to your nose and gets all in your face. It is not confronting, jarring or disconcerting.. but, like a God it is there and you cannot ignore it. It affirms itself, comforts you in a way a lover never would, with an edge.. a hint.. a whisper.. .. Gods are not all benevolent, and even benevolent Gods have power.. you best not forget.. but right now.. it's ALL SMOOTH...

ETA: I strongly like this. I could live without it, but I'd rather not. It's just on the verge of OMFGILOVEMUSTHAVEMILLIONBOTTLESLIKENAO and.. I will wait to use up my imp before getting a bottle.. Eunless I serendipitously get another imp... but I won't allow myself not to have any on hand.

Edited by Farenath

I was really looking forward to trying this, as I'm getting into dairy notes lately!

But on me, there's no milk, and no ginger. How is this possible? Ginger comes through very strong when I wear Vixen or Shub. But Sudha just smells like weird soap on me. What the hell? Is it my skin or my nose, or both? :evil:

I got an imp of this because I love honey and ginger. So, I guess I was expecting a more creamy, milky, honey, gingery fragrance. I was surprised by the final outcome, but ended up loving it way more than I would have figured. After all, I already have Dana O'Shee for creamy/honey/milky.

In the bottle, it was a citrus/fresh ginger blend. I cook with fresh ginger, and I knew ginger didn't quite smell like this. Confused, I put it on expecting the citral smell to blossom into ginger...

Wet on my skin, it was a sugary, LIGHTLY creamy smell with heavy notes of citrus and a slice of ginger lying underneath. Five-fifteen minutes in I was still gloriously citrussy and gingery creamy. In confusion I looked up the notes for Sudha Segara: DUR. It has Ambrosia listed as a note. That's probably the sweet citrus I'm getting.

All in all, this had great throw, decent wear length (my skin eats perfume since it is reeeaaaally dry - but this lasted a few hours at the least). It was mainly a fresh, sweet, citrus ginger scent, with a creamy undertone.

Looking at other peoples reviews, I may have just amped the citrus, but I still think this is a great perfume for when you want longevity, throw, AND a lighter scent.

ETA: Wow, okay, so I think maybe it was because I was sick and so my sniffer/chemistry was off, but a few weeks later I tried Sudha Segara and it was ALL sweet, fresh ginger with a hint of orange, instead of citrus with a hint of ginger. Although I loved it before, I LURVE it now.

Edited by absalem

Imp--ginger and green stems

Wet-ginger and green floral

Drydown--ginger soap

Dry--warm, soft sweet ginger. I've lost the green and the floral, but never got any milk or honey. It's a shame, because I want to smell what everyone else is smelling!

Edited by Gateau

I have been searching for a ginger scent that works on me - since all of the others I have tried haven't worked out. Sudha Segara, is more of a light citrus on me though with not much ginger coming through.

When I first put it on, it's a milky and lemony (kind of like a milky citronella) after a while it fades down into something really nice :heart: A soft creamy scent with some citrus in the background. I really like the labs milk note, it normally works well on me and my skin seems to make it the dominant note. Sudha Segara, fades very quickly on me but it is definately soft and comforting scent.

In vial: Gingery, faint.

Wet: An initial burst of clean, surprisingly sterile milk. Very odd.

Dry: Somewhat latex-like. This is reminding me of a hospital. I am weirded out!

Verdict: This is a blend I've had my eye on testing since I first found BPAL, and I finally got a hold of some! Too bad it just didn't work for me.

Wet: Light and fresh. It actually smells like a light floral almost.

Drydown: Soft. Sweet ginger comes forth. There's something very clean about it.

Dry: Sweet and clean with a touch of floral-ish ginger.

Despite the lack of flowers, this reminds me of a clean, fresh floral like Lady of Shallot or Sea of Glass. I'm a little bummed because the honey never really came through and I was expecting it to amp.

6 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the imp: Honey and something a bit tart. The ambrosia, maybe?

On skin, wet: Slightly tart, slightly spicy honey.

On skin, dry: The honey has faded, as has the spiciness of the ginger, and that tart note is getting stronger.

After an hour: That tartness I assume is the ambrosia has mostly taken over, with only a hint of honey sweetness underneath. Never got anywhere near as much ginger as I hoped for. It's nice, but not really different enough from things I already have bottles of.

Wet: Sweet and spicy! Almost soapy. Not at all what I was thinking!

Dry: Ehhh... this is pretty bland on me. Sweet and milky. It's not a bad scent, it's just not for me.

2/5

A nearly colorless oil, tested blind.

In Vitro Sharp, sweet, and spicy.

Wet The first impression was of lemon balm. After a minute I guessed that the "lemon" I was smelling was actually ginger, specifically fresh ginger root. A few minutes later the scent was less lemony and more of a dry spice.

Drying This continued to be a good lemony ginger but was not strong. Around the half hour mark the zesty note was overtaken by sweetness, and at the end of the first hour the overall scent was sweet and mildly spicy. At two and a half hours there was a brief scare when an itch developed at the application site, but that went away in less than five minutes. Three hours on this was very faint.

It's weird, it just seems like I should like this more than I do at present. One of the very few commercial perfumes that I ever liked was ginger-dominant and I was hoping to find a BPAL analogue, but on me Sudha Segara is lacking somehow. If only it were stronger it would be in my top ten.

in imp: Weird sharp scent, something between milk and mildew with a slight aura of spices

on skin: an old spice cabinet, with a weird tinge of... maybe that's milk?

Drydown: creamier, but still a hint of spice/wood.

Verdict: Not sure where I was getting that wood note, but the sharp scent and the wood may have been ginger, as in a freshly grated ginger. I'll have to try this one again, but so far it hasn't really made a huge impression on me.

In the Imp: I can smell overripe mandarins, and something a little medicinal. This isn't looking good.

Wet: Still reminiscent of overripe mandarins, but now with floral tones. Maybe slightly sweeter than in the imp.

Drydown: Floral mandarins. If there was such a thing as mandarin blossoms, this is what they'd smell like.

Verdict: Pleasant enough, but not a favorite.

2.5/5

Note: After trying Shub-Niggurath, I don't think I like ginger very much.

I didn't get any ginger from this,just creamy,sweet milk with honey and a hint of something warm and spicy. I absolutely ADORE this scent,it's the best one I've tried so far...unfortunately,it doesnt last on me :( Even with liberal application it is nearly gone in little over an hour. :cry: Still contemplating buying a bottle anyway because it really is the most lovely,comforting scent ever.

Light, fresh soft baby smell. The ginger lends a sharpness, similar to a green floral note, almost slightly lemony. Soft, creamy background. A very pretty spring or summer scent. Maybe a little too sharp for me.

With first application I thought that I accidentally took Kumiho out of my imp box, it smells really similar to my nose! But then it got a bit softer and more balanced. Now I smell a clean, citrus/ginger. Absolutely lovely! More of a smell for when the weather gets warmer for me though.

Wow, this smells like lemon pledge.

After it dries it doesn't really smell like anything at all :(

I guess my skin just doesn't agree with this one.

This sealed the deal for me, my point of no return BPAL oil.

Well I could just go on and on about my love for this, I chose it in my first order of imps

and from the day it arrived, I still carry the imp or have it near by. Of course, eventually I purchased a 5ml.

I don't use it often on my skin as it fades on me within a couple hours,

just smelling it gives immediate comfort and inspiration.

It is certainly a healing oil for me. Ginger Ambrosia Heaven! Sudha Segara is glorious and I am truly grateful

for having it grace my life! Thank you Beth!

In the imp: Fresh, lemony

Wet: Sugary lemons and incense

Dry: Honeyed ginger and maybe a touch of milk and I'm still getting the impression of something lemony. It's not quite what I was expecting, but it's really nice, I'm glad I tried it.

Wow, this was one of those incidences where this went drastically in a different direction once it dried down. In the bottle and wet, it's light, milky ginger and honey, then it dries and bam, SOAP! I've seen reviews where BPALers describe something going soapy, which occasionally happens to me, but rarely, but this just goes straight up soapy on me. Pretty in the bottle.